Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
I'm wondering if it's related to the new Intel modem at all. I saw on one site that running a benchmark didn't produce the sound but playing a YouTube video did... be good to know as my 7 Plus arrives tomorrow. Hoping it's okay as I don't really want a trip to the Apple Store. Always costs me money ;)

Yeah thats a good point. Any verizon owners having hissing issues? They still use the Qualcomm chip for CDMA based phones.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
Go to a quiet room. Hold any phone from a 6 on up against your ear. Put your finger on to the home button. Listen for a clicking or buzzing. My six does it. I have never heard the sound until I just tried to do it with my 6.

This is my experience with the 6. When I rest my finger on the home button, I hear a clicking sound with the back pressed against my ear.

When my finger is just to the left or right of the home button (not touching it), it's a rapid click or a buzz.

Never noticed before this thread. Otherwise, the phone is silent.

Ngamtns706

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
I could barely hear it when restoring from iCloud when doing my iCloud backup in a quiet room with the phone against my ear as I tried to hear it. Not that big of a deal IMO.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
I could barely hear it when restoring from iCloud when doing my iCloud backup in a quiet room with the phone against my ear as I tried to hear it. Not that big of a deal IMO.

The problem is when you record a quiet video, the buzzing will be very noticeable on the playback

Reactions: imlynxy

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
My iPhone 7+ has this noise and goes back to the store. It has a strong noise on camera video recording.

I also tested 3 iPhone 7 and all of them have this noise - go back to the store tomorrow. I have no time and wish to drive around and beggaring for a working device. For the amount of money I pay them it should be flawless device. I was on the phone yesterday and was blaming Att for this static noise.

Thanks God I didn't sell my 6s.
[doublepost=1474502164][/doublepost]
The problem is when you record a quiet video, the buzzing will be very noticeable on the playback
Tried iPhone 7+ on camera - noise. I also have VZW iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: eric3312

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
At this point, hoping for a replacement. I am almost 100% sure my replacement will have the sound. I am going to go my Apple Store and listen to the phones they have on display as well.

You can actually hear yourself think in your local Apple store? Much less hear a subtle squeal or hiss?

Reactions: jk4lebron23

LyricalMenace

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Black AT&T C39 serial.

Hissing noise coming from phone when under load. Noticeable when taking a phone call. Also noticeable in video recording.

I went to Apple chat to discuss. Long story short they said it was a known issue and their engineers were looking into it. They directed me to Apple store for replacement. I told them Apple stores have no replacement stock. They offered me mail replacement. At first they wanted me to send my phone and wait for them to ship a new phone. I decided to go with the express option which puts a hold on your credit card, but they send the phone first.

At first she said 2-3 days for shipping. Then she came back and said it would be delayed but gave no estimate. At this point a senior adviser contacted me via phone. I spoke with her and she basically told me the same thing. Offered me express repair for the phone. She said normally 2-3 days but "please give us an extra day or two" due to low stock.

I asked her if at any point my local Apple store gets new stock can I go in and get replacement through them and cancel the express order. She said this is possible. Figured I have nothing to lose with mail replacement. Will see how long it takes. She said they will send me tracking info when ready.

• Thanks for contacting Apple Support. My name is Nicole. Please give me a moment to look over your information.

Me:Hello Nicole.

NicoleHi there! I'm sorry about any wait and appreciate you being so patient! We're experiencing some heavy volume right now, so I apologize for any delays we may have in our chat. What can I help with today?

Me:I just purchased iPhone 7 Plus 128GB on AT&T today from the Apple Store in *****. Upon taking the phone home I realized there is a strange hissing noise coming from the back of the phone.

Me:This noise gets louder if the phone is under load. I tested out a video to see if the noise could be picked up, sure enough the hissing is captured on my video.

Me:I have uploaded a video for reference if needed.

Me:I have also tried restoring the phone. I tried restoring from backup and restoring as new. Neither of these solved the problem.

NicoleHey *****! No need, that’s okay. Just to confirm there is a hissing sound coming from the back of your phone?

Me:Correct.

NicoleI can definitely understand the importance of getting that resolved - I know I would hate to hear any odd sounds coming from my phone. I'm happy to do everything I can to get you taken care of, or on a path to resolution today!

NicoleSo, this is actually an issue that our engineers are looking into and are working to fix. That said, the solution as of now is to get the device swapped out with one that doesn’t hiss. You can either do that by mail in, or you can make an appointment at an Apple location - do you have a preference?

Me:How does a mail swap work? I have already contacted my local Apple store and they told me they have no phones available to swap out. They directed me to Apple online website to figure out what best way to get a new phone.

NicoleSo, there’s two ways to do it - 1) you can either drop it off at a local UPS Store and then we ship a new phone back to you, or, we can have a box sent to you that has instructions to ship it back. It’s roughly a 5-7 day turnaround from start to finish; once we receive the device it takes about 3 days to get one back.

Me:That will be a problem as I have no backup phone. Can you ship me a new phone with a return box and I can return this phone when the new one arrives?

NicoleWe do have Express Replacement Service - where we send you a phone first and you send the old one back to us. The catch with that is we place a hold on a debit or credit card for the full retail value of the new device until the old one is received - then it’s released once we get it.. The standard mail in has no hold like Express does. Checking on the hold amount for you now.

Me:That sounds like a better option so I don't have to be without a phone. Now the question is how long will it take to ship me a replacement phone?

NicoleThe hold would be $869+ any taxes, but again, that is released as soon as we get the old phone back. It takes 2-3 days.

Me:Am I responsible for paying shipping fees with that option?

NicoleNo, no shipping fees.

Me:How long until a new phone can be shipped? I'm worried about the supply.

NicoleTo my knowledge, it’s still 2-3 days, but I’m more than happy to reach out and double check on that to be safe!

Me:That would be great if you could.

NicoleSure! Please give me just a few minutes.

NicoleAre you still there?

Me:Yes.

NicoleJust making sure! I’m still here and still checking into this for you!

NicoleSorry, disregard

Me:No problem.

NicoleIt looks like there is actually a delay for the 7+, so you were right to inquire! I’m trying to see how long the delay actually is.

Me:Ok.

NicoleOkay, so there isn’t an exact time frame for the replacement times for Express on that - generally in this case we refer back to where you got it, but you said you’d already spoken to them correct?

Me:Yes the store I purchased from had no replacement phones.

NicoleWhere di you say you were located again? ****?

Me:Yes ******.

NicoleAnd it looks like any of the other locations are a good bit away from you - the closest 28 miles, and I’d rather not have you go that far if we can help it! Let me check into a couple other things here and see if there’s any way to get it fixed any faster!

Me:That is correct.. The next closest would be *****. Thanks for checking into this.

NicoleSure! Give me just a few minutes.

NicoleSo what I’d like to do is get you over to one of my senior advisors so they can help out with this. There is about a 5 minute wait for one of them, though, so I wanted to make sure that was okay with you before I transferred you over?

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Black AT&T C39 serial.

Hissing noise coming from phone when under load. Noticeable when taking a phone call. Also noticeable in video recording.

I went to Apple chat to discuss. Long story short they said it was a known issue and their engineers were looking into it. They directed me to Apple store for replacement. I told them Apple stores have no replacement stock. They offered me mail replacement. At first they wanted me to send my phone and wait for them to ship a new phone. I decided to go with the express option which puts a hold on your credit card, but they send the phone first.

At first she said 2-3 days for shipping. Then she came back and said it would be delayed but gave no estimate. At this point a senior adviser contacted me via phone. I spoke with her and she basically told me the same thing. Offered me express repair for the phone. She said normally 2-3 days but "please give us an extra day or two" due to low stock.

I asked her if at any point my local Apple store gets new stock can I go in and get replacement through them and cancel the express order. She said this is possible. Figured I have nothing to lose with mail replacement. Will see how long it takes. She said they will send me tracking info when ready.

• Thanks for contacting Apple Support. My name is Nicole. Please give me a moment to look over your information.

Me:Hello Nicole.

NicoleHi there! I'm sorry about any wait and appreciate you being so patient! We're experiencing some heavy volume right now, so I apologize for any delays we may have in our chat. What can I help with today?

Me:I just purchased iPhone 7 Plus 128GB on AT&T today from the Apple Store in *****. Upon taking the phone home I realized there is a strange hissing noise coming from the back of the phone.

Me:This noise gets louder if the phone is under load. I tested out a video to see if the noise could be picked up, sure enough the hissing is captured on my video.

Me:I have uploaded a video for reference if needed.

Me:I have also tried restoring the phone. I tried restoring from backup and restoring as new. Neither of these solved the problem.

NicoleHey *****! No need, that’s okay. Just to confirm there is a hissing sound coming from the back of your phone?

Me:Correct.

NicoleI can definitely understand the importance of getting that resolved - I know I would hate to hear any odd sounds coming from my phone. I'm happy to do everything I can to get you taken care of, or on a path to resolution today!

NicoleSo, this is actually an issue that our engineers are looking into and are working to fix. That said, the solution as of now is to get the device swapped out with one that doesn’t hiss. You can either do that by mail in, or you can make an appointment at an Apple location - do you have a preference?

Me:How does a mail swap work? I have already contacted my local Apple store and they told me they have no phones available to swap out. They directed me to Apple online website to figure out what best way to get a new phone.

NicoleSo, there’s two ways to do it - 1) you can either drop it off at a local UPS Store and then we ship a new phone back to you, or, we can have a box sent to you that has instructions to ship it back. It’s roughly a 5-7 day turnaround from start to finish; once we receive the device it takes about 3 days to get one back.

Me:That will be a problem as I have no backup phone. Can you ship me a new phone with a return box and I can return this phone when the new one arrives?

NicoleWe do have Express Replacement Service - where we send you a phone first and you send the old one back to us. The catch with that is we place a hold on a debit or credit card for the full retail value of the new device until the old one is received - then it’s released once we get it.. The standard mail in has no hold like Express does. Checking on the hold amount for you now.

Me:That sounds like a better option so I don't have to be without a phone. Now the question is how long will it take to ship me a replacement phone?

NicoleThe hold would be $869+ any taxes, but again, that is released as soon as we get the old phone back. It takes 2-3 days.

Me:Am I responsible for paying shipping fees with that option?

NicoleNo, no shipping fees.

Me:How long until a new phone can be shipped? I'm worried about the supply.

NicoleTo my knowledge, it’s still 2-3 days, but I’m more than happy to reach out and double check on that to be safe!

Me:That would be great if you could.

NicoleSure! Please give me just a few minutes.

Me:Yes.

NicoleJust making sure! I’m still here and still checking into this for you!

NicoleSorry, disregard

Me:No problem.

NicoleIt looks like there is actually a delay for the 7+, so you were right to inquire! I’m trying to see how long the delay actually is.

Me:Ok.

NicoleOkay, so there isn’t an exact time frame for the replacement times for Express on that - generally in this case we refer back to where you got it, but you said you’d already spoken to them correct?

Me:Yes the store I purchased from had no replacement phones.

NicoleWhere di you say you were located again? ****?

Me:Yes ******.

NicoleAnd it looks like any of the other locations are a good bit away from you - the closest 28 miles, and I’d rather not have you go that far if we can help it! Let me check into a couple other things here and see if there’s any way to get it fixed any faster!

Me:That is correct.. The next closest would be *****. Thanks for checking into this.

NicoleSure! Give me just a few minutes.

NicoleSo what I’d like to do is get you over to one of my senior advisors so they can help out with this. There is about a 5 minute wait for one of them, though, so I wanted to make sure that was okay with you before I transferred you over?

I'm in the same boat...ugh. Just thinking about driving the 3 1/2 hrs just to return it and wait until Apple says something.

radioking

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
It took AppleCare 3 days to ship a iPhone 6 earlier this week. I'm guessing they're just slow but use low stock as an excuse.

My Att Plus 128gb has the hiss. I can hear it a foot away from my ear easily. I'll get it replaced in a month or so. I spent way too much time dealing with AppleCare this week. First I drove 2 hours and the store didn't have a replacement. Then they sent me a phone and the screen wasn't glued properly.

Last edited:

Moac

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2012
What are those numbers people are checking and comparing?
Does the buzzing happen in specific iPhone serial numbers?

radioking

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I just picked mine up tonight. It came with 10.0.1 out of the box, so it's a fresh one. I can hear it when doing something as simple as loading a webpage. If I flick to scroll I can hear it until the the page stops moving on the screen. It's more of a clicking sound than a hiss.

Last edited:

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I heard a ul
A video I made tonight.

Yeah, that is so not what I am hearing, just a super slight high pitched noise in dead silent conditions that is far less than the white noise. In fact, when I record the same scene with my headphones in, the white noise goes up a fair bit.

I'm pretty sure I am set, no issues.

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
I just picked mine up tonight. It came with 10.0.1 out of the box, so it's a fresh one. I can hear it when doing something as simple as loading a webpage. If I flick to scroll I can hear it until the the page stops moving on the screen. It's more of a clicking sound than a hiss.
The question is... Do you have any of these sounds* recorded in your videos?

*hissing / ticking / static noise (not white noise) / antenna interference

garymontague

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I'm thinking the sound I have is when the phone is accessing the 'hard drive'. Whenever I install an app or use an app that needs to access data on the phone the sound then appears. If the sound wasn't noticeable I wouldn't be too bothered but the fact is I can hear it straight away (and could when it first happened when I installed my first app).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.