Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Settings->about and and you have a serial number. You don't need the box. Could you please also record 2-3 sec short 4K video in the quiet room.
Thanks
WHAT?!??!! Oh lord....come on. The last time I got into any of this rigamarole I ended up having to find white screens and take pictures and post them to show that no I didn't have "debris" on the top left of my screen. Then nobody was satisfied. Never again.
I'll check location but that's the extent of it. I'm not getting into another of those experiences.

Edit: I don't see anything about where it was made. And I'm NOT putting any device specific information on a forum.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
WHAT?!??!! Oh lord....come on. The last time I got into any of this rigamarole I ended up having to find white screens and take pictures and post them to show that no I didn't have "debris" on the top left of my screen. Then nobody was satisfied. Never again.
I'll check location but that's the extent of it. I'm not getting into another of those experiences.

Edit: I don't see anything about where it was made. And I'm NOT putting any device specific information on a forum.

no comments here.....

simps100

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK

If your not able to record a video on your £800 device without hissing in the background i'd say thats good reason to not be satisfied personally!

Reactions: smacrumon and Moac

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
If your not able to record a video on your £800 device without hissing in the background i'd say thats good reason to not be satisfied personally!

It simply means that I've got better things to do with my life than get into another post this, post that, let us see rigamarole. First off finding a quiet room, a perfectly quiet room, is nearly impossible. There will always be ambient noise. Air conditioning. Heating. Kids playing. Dogs padding around. Hot water heater working. Basement sump pump charging off. Humidifier. Next door neighbor cutting grass.

Nah. Been down that path in this forum. Done it once and will never do it again.

You're free to think what you want.

Edit: somebody showed me how to find the week.

Factory: C39 - China

Year: 2016

Week: 37 (12.09 - 18.09)

Last edited:

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
Here's my example...

Spot on! It is so easy to identify that way.
It simply means that I've got better things to do with my life than get into another post this, post that, let us see rigamarole. First off finding a quiet room, a perfectly quiet room, is nearly impossible. There will always be ambient noise. Air conditioning. Heating. Kids playing. Dogs padding around. Hot water heater working. Basement sump pump charging off. Humidifier. Next door neighbor cutting grass.

Nah. Been down that path in this forum. Done it once and will never do it again.

You're free to think what you want.

Edit: somebody showed me how to find the week.

Factory: C39 - China

Year: 2016

I understand how you feel and you are right. However, some of the affected devices have loud enough video buzzing that it doesn't even have to be in a quiet room.

C39 used to be my iPhone 6s Plus.
I will receive the 7 Plus replacement in a couple of hours. Let's see what happens.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Spot on! It is so easy to identify that way. It is

I understand how you feel and you are right. However, some of the affected devices have loud enough video buzzing that it doesn't even have to be in a quiet room.

C39 used to be my iPhone 6s Plus.
I will receive the 7 Plus replacement in a couple of hours. Let's see what happens.
Yah not going to go around turning off appliances to record something for a forum.
Oh I forgot the fridge!!!! It's a Samsung POS that's giving out after three years and needs replacing. Not worth it to repair. It sounds like a machine shop.

sigftw

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2015
Crystal Palace, London, England
Let's hope so. By the way I really don't get how people on here are being so dismissive because they don't have an issue. We're all excited to have our new phones but when something isn't up to Apple standards it needs to be called out. However I realise that this is part and parcel of being an early adopter and whilst it's an inconvenience it's not the end of the world, provided Apple acknowledge that there's an issue with a small sample of phones.

Reactions: DianaMR

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
Let's hope so. By the way I really don't get how people on here are being so dismissive because they don't have an issue. We're all excited to have our new phones but when something isn't up to Apple standards it needs to be called out. However I realise that this is part and parcel of being an early adopter and whilst it's an inconvenience it's not the end of the world, provided Apple acknowledge that there's an issue with a small sample of phones.
I agree with you. It is a disappointment but not the end of the world, provided they make amends.

I am on the iPhone Upgrade Programme so they will have to keep replacing until they actually give me a fully operational and defective-free device.

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
Got my 7+ last night. The hissing was noticeable during the restore process and update to 10.0.1 at arms length. after the restore it was still there but only detectable because I was listening for it. I don't think I would have noticed it if it had not heard the issue previously.

Overnight I updated to the 10.1 beta. No hissing sound today even under heavy load. Not sure if it would have quietened down anyway or if there is something in 10.1 that helps eliminate the noise.

There is white noise when recording video and to be fair this is more noticeable on the 7+ than on my 6S and iPad Pro.

I'm going to see how this plays out and what Apple's response is between now and the end of my 14 day return window before deciding whether it is worth getting it replaced. Think we have to wait and see on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrightCanon

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
Thanks , it seems my phone week is:

I have no problems with my phone thus far , any tests I can preform that clearly show the issues?
We should compare the weeks, maybe one or two batches are faulty?

I believe that the production week may become more meaningful with the factory information.

ohms12

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Scotland
  • Factory: F2M - China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn

• Week: 37 (12.09 - 18.09)

iPhone 7+ 128gb MB. Tried the test running a full screen video, I couldn't hear any discernible noise. Tried when playing music, speaker off, no discernible noise. Tried zooming with the camera and I could hear a faint processor noise - but it's so faint, I had to take the case off and sit in complete silence to hear it. I seriously doubt i'd hear it in normal use.

Hope that helps.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
We have two 7 pluses. They both do it but I don't know that I would have noticed if I hadn't tried to hear it. My kid heard it on his before he knew about the issue though. I haven't tried to record anything to check for sound issues. Our phones have a hiss/buzz and a little squeal type of sound at some points too.

ates

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
7+ here. Static noise present on video. Zoom clicking noise present in video. Bluetooth cutting in and out. I definitely think there is some interference going on with the mic and whatever is "hissing". If others are not reporting this issue then I'll swap it at apple later since there is a 1 year warranty.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I really think you guys are mixing up 2 different things with 1 related to the first.

1. Processor whine under heavy load.

2. Mic hissing during recording.

3. Processor whine being picked up by the Mic during recording.

I did a few tests on my own.

1. I do have processor whine (when looking at YouTube) but the volume has to be completely off and your ear has to be within an inch of the rear case near the camera area. Sounds like little ticks and scratches. Super unrealistic to complain about this because you have to be literally on top of it. It’s not like you got this super powerful GPU installed into a computer that whines like a banshee under load (common for even the newer Nvidia GPU’s).

2. The concern then would be audio noise during recording. So I performed 3 recordings in a quiet room at 720p, 1080p and 4K and yes, I could hear intermittent ticks but they weren’t as loud when comparing the processor under load. Again, I don’t plan to record in a dead quiet environment.

3. Next I placed the phone in a closed drawer here at work and recorded 7 minutes of 4K video. Took a listen to the recording with Bluetooth headphones and could hear faint office noise and conversation but no ticks or scratches. Just typical recording hiss, not the hiss that you guys are complaining about or better yet making a big deal over.

But heck, it's your money and time so either swap it out like crazy or return the phone.

Reactions: sigftw

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
Bad news. The replacement phone still has the stanic noise in video recordings and antenna interference in 2G networks. Hissing / ticking is reduced and almost inaudible.

I am now considering to return the phone altogether for a refund.

Serial number starts with F2. Production week 35.
(Previous was F2, production week 36)

MG999

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Bad news. The replacement phone still has the stanic noise in video recordings and antenna interference in 2G networks. Hissing / ticking is reduced and almost inaudible.

I am now considering to return the phone altogether for a refund.

Serial number starts with F2. Production week 35.
(Previous was F2, production week 36)

Same thing happened to me on my replacement. It may just be a universal hardware issue on all phone? Ive been trying to see if there are any 7plus owners who do not have that static or hissing with video recording. But maybe it is universal across the board.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have two copies of the 7, though only one is with me now.

The suggestion to put the phone on a (quiet) table, set the video to 4K and make a blank recording then listen to playback was good.

This phone, which I previously reported has faintly audible clicks and buzzing under load, did record those noises on the recorded audio. I don't do much video recording, but it's noticeable enough that I would return this phone for that if I hadn't already decided to return it because it was bought as a first purchase under the IUP and I've completely lost faith in Apple's management of the IUP.

The other phone (purchased outright) didn't make any noise I could hear under load, but I want to try this test tonight and see how it does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.