Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Try recording a video on the phone and then play it back.

I see your point in the video. I just tried it and I hear it in the video. I rarely video anything and when I do usually there is a lot of noise so I don't think that will bother me. When Apple fixes the issue, I'll just call them to have them swap it.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
you guys practically have a 10 year old laptop in a phone, so what do you expect. Of course it's going to buzz as it works.
[doublepost=1474590833][/doublepost]The phone is basically working at the same freq as your microwave or wifi connection.

Reactions: Crazyj414

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Just got my 256gb matte black plus model and it has it as well. But honestly, I can't hear it unless I put my ear to the rear of the phone or near the rear of the phone. With it just sitting on my desk, I can't even hear it. I mean my ceiling fan which is quiet makes more noisy than the phone.

Seriously people, is it really that bad where you have to send it back? Actually when I put my Spigen case on it, now I can't even hear it.

I also didn't care about the noise, but on a camera video it is really there. I don't want to have video with such a loud white noise on background.

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
you guys practically have a 10 year old laptop in a phone, so what do you expect. Of course it's going to buzz as it works.
[doublepost=1474590833][/doublepost]The phone is basically working at the same freq as your microwave or wifi connection.

My 1-year old 6S+ which has a very fast processor in it makes ZERO sound. I can hear my 7+ (under load) while it is sitting on the table 3 feet away. This is not an unavoidable problem -- somewhere along the lines, a mistake was made or a corner was cut.

csmith1289

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
I don't care that it is a 10yr old laptop in a phone. There are lots of phones on the market with excellent processors(or whatever you'd like to call it) that do not hiss. My 6s Plus did not hiss. Also, I have not tested if it will interfere with video recording yet but I surely hope not. If that is the case it'll definitely be getting exchanged once they have some in stock to replace it.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I don't care that it is a 10yr old laptop in a phone. There are lots of phones on the market with excellent processors(or whatever you'd like to call it) that do not hiss. My 6s Plus did not hiss. Also, I have not tested if it will interfere with video recording yet but I surely hope not. If that is the case it'll definitely be getting exchanged once they have some in stock to replace it.

The problem is that you get exactly the same in exchange. I contacted Apple support, they don't have appointments for next 4 days in my local store and offered me to drive 45+ minutes to another store. I better ride my bicycle instead.

I agree with you, I really like the phone, but I cannot give 1K dollars for the quality of camera sound I got. The moment Apple fixes the issue I buy the phone again.

Reactions: LyricalMenace

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I see your point in the video. I just tried it and I hear it in the video. I rarely video anything and when I do usually there is a lot of noise so I don't think that will bother me. When Apple fixes the issue, I'll just call them to have them swap it.

I have posted that I have two of these, one noisy and one basically silent when I listen to the phone while running an app that pushes the system. Unfortunately, both make audible (on playback) clicking and popping noises when running HD video, so they're going back tomorrow. I love this phone a lot more than my 6es, but I'm not interested in living with that. And by the way, just to say it again, this is NOT a white noise hiss from dead air with audio playback gain on high.

Reactions: Hogg and imlynxy

csmith1289

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
The problem is that you get exactly the same in exchange. I contacted Apple support, they don't have appointments for next 4 days in my local store and offered me to drive 45+ minutes to another store. I better ride my bicycle instead.

I agree with you, I really like the phone, but I cannot give 1K dollars for the quality of camera sound I got. The moment Apple fixes the issue I buy the phone again.

That really sucks. I will more than likely just keep mine and get it exchanged once they fix it. I'm trading my 6s plus in to AT&T for the $650 bill credit and that promo will have ended by the time Apple has units out for me to buy a new one. I suppose it'll be ok for now. Def not happy about it.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
My iPhone doesn't hiss while doing Geekbench or anything but during video it hisses and like I can't hear it on EarPods but I can hear it through the default iPhone speaker

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
I'm going to wait and just won't take a video until I get it replaced. I'm really loving this phone at the moment. The video issue reall killled some excitement for me but it's life. This stuff happened to technology or products and it's apple they will hands down replace the phone for me and give me one that's working perfectly.
[doublepost=1474601439][/doublepost]
Seems a lot of it is the mic interference since a lot don't hear it unless on video.
That's what I was thinking. May be faulty mics.

brianjsw01

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Unfortunately the hissing noise is transmitted to the other party on phone calls in some cases. Tonight I was using hangouts on speakerphone and the person I was talking to said she could hear it and it was driving her crazy.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
So I literally just got my 7+ a few hours ago. I also hear a buzzing "working" type sound if I put my ear up to the back. Also in video there is that white noise. Is Apple acknowledging this yet? Will they replace our phones?

yngrshr

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
NJ
I have a Verizon phone and it makes the noise on mine.

So, the buzzing on my iPhone (7+, Verizon, 128) has all but went away. It's very, very minor. In the beginning, it started out being very loud and very noticeable. Now, I can barely hear an audible buzz under heavy load.

Has anyone else seen their buzzing decrease?

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011

Actually the new iPhone is more powerful than any MacBook Air made....

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
Seems not everyone thinks this is really a big issue...I just listened to videos I took with my 6s Plus VS the 7 plus and there is a definite white noise/hiss on the video I took with 7+. I can't figure out how to add a video, keeps giving me an error.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
For the people expecting Apple to acknowledge this publicly... For all the problems that other Apple products have had, rarely, if at all, has Apple been up front about these immediately.

Pod4477

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
ugh I'm listening to MyTunerPro app and I can hear the white noise clicking in and out over the sports talk. I put my ear to the back of the phone and it's constantly doing it.

Last edited:

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
This is getting more and more concerning by the day. Yowzer

I suddenly want Apple to take as much time as they need; to make my 7+ :rolleyes:

Alright Apple engineers...let's figure out what's causing this, alter manufacturing...and make Hogg's iPhone.

tomd84

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Hey Everyone

i have got my new Iphone 7 plus yesterday and it dont make a hissing sound but it makes like a tapping but only if you put right to the back of your ear. I am not saying this is right as it does sound like it is being picked up by the video and if they do fix i will be changing it

I still have by 5s so i have done some testing it makes the exact same noise next to your ear just a little quiter

i have also recording two video in the same room and location and the 5s sound like it is picking up more interference then iPhone 7 plus recording on the back camera

I have uploaded both video to my shared drop box folder i would like people to listen to see if it the same sound or im if wrong

Thanks

Last edited:

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
Hey Everyone

i have got my new Iphone 7 plus yesterday and it dont make a hissing sound but it makes like a tapping but only if you put right to the back of your ear. I am not saying this is right as it does sound like it is being picked up by the video and if they do fix i will be changing it

I still have by 5s so i have done some testing it makes the exact same noise next to your ear just a little quiter

i have also recording two video in the same drop and the 5s sound like it is picking up more interference

I have uploaded both video to my shared drop box folder i would like people to listen to see if it the same sound or im if wrong

Thanks

Is that sound when recording video or from the back of your phone? That sound is exactly the background noise i hear when recording any video ;(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.