Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
I don't know if I should take it back or if I'm overreacting? Many have said the replacements also make noise. The noise heard from the back of the phone really isn't a huge issue...not like I walk around with the back of it to my ear. But the noise in videos is a problem...

brianjsw01

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
I don't know if I should take it back or if I'm overreacting? Many have said the replacements also make noise. The noise heard from the back of the phone really isn't a huge issue...not like I walk around with the back of it to my ear. But the noise in videos is a problem...
Honestly I would not bother if that is the only problem with it. Very few of the total world's iPhone owners by proportion are on this forum and we're already seeing reports by forum members that their replacements do the same thing.

So if the few people who are here are complaining about it then there are boatloads of similar devices whose owners are not forum members with same issue.

If Apple declares a design fault then yes go for it. But Apple has to put it's shareholders in front of its customers so I doubt we will get a public declaration or admission of a design flaw.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Question about this sound on video.. Have people tried testing it with other models of phone? I just did a video on both my 6s and 7 and they both have a hiss going on, at least when there's no talking/other noise - I assume that's what people are testing? It's actually a bit fuzzier on the 6s. Maybe I'm not experiencing the issue people are mentioning here.

brianjsw01

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Question about this sound on video.. Have people tried testing it with other models of phone? I just did a video on both my 6s and 7 and they both have a hiss going on, at least when there's no talking/other noise - I assume that's what people are testing? It's actually a bit fuzzier on the 6s. Maybe I'm not experiencing the issue people are mentioning here.
I think specifically the issue is relatively loud white noise in combination with random clicking sounds during recorded video playback.

Reactions: appygirl82

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon

I listened to video that I took with my 6s Plus a while back...in my same living room. There was no "white noise" in the background like there is with my 7+. Distinctive difference between the two

Reactions: brianjsw01

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
I have spoken to a few mates who work for Apple support, they said their personal recommendation (not apples) is to hold out a month if possible, and see if they do a replacement program, otherwise, you are taking a new iPhone out of the hands of someone who might not notice/care and would otherwise be content with the phone you are getting as a replacement.

Anywho, mine is also doing it, and it annoys me, but I am going to wait a week or so, see if it improves.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
I have spoken to a few mates who work for Apple support, they said their personal recommendation (not apples) is to hold out a month if possible, and see if they do a replacement program, otherwise, you are taking a new iPhone out of the hands of someone who might not notice/care and would otherwise be content with the phone you are getting as a replacement.

Anywho, mine is also doing it, and it annoys me, but I am going to wait a week or so, see if it improves.

So will we be able to return it after the 14 day period for these issues? I don't mind waiting but I want to be able to replace it if I decide to down the road?!

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I'm hearing the same noise on my iPhone 6 Plus - although less - when recording a video.

I believe that when you test drive your iPhone 6 or 7 (or +) whilst recording video (whatever resolution) in a quite seroundings, the mic in the phone will be gained (amplified) to its max, resulting in "white noise".

It's just how mic amplifiers work and will produce (white) noise in your recordings. I bet Apple will come to that exact same conclusion.

Just my humble 2cts!

Cheers

Reactions: cc999 and Texas361

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
I'm hearing the same noise on my iPhone 6 Plus - although less - when recording a video.

I believe that when you test drive your iPhone 6 or 7 (or +) whilst recording video (whatever resolution) in a quite seroundings, the mic in the phone will be gained (amplified) to its max, resulting in "white noise".

It's just how mic amplifiers work and will produce (white) noise in your recordings. I bet Apple will come to that exact same conclusion.

Just my humble 2cts!

Cheers
Assuming that this is an acceptable explanation and that the microphone picking up subtle hissing and ticking sounds is also acceptable. It is still unacceptable to have 2G interference from the antenna in video recordings.

I also conducted further tests. The static noise in videos appeas only when you records with the rear camera and its microphone (between LEDs and camera). When recording videos with the front camera with the front (bottom) microphone everything is fine.

I can't be crazy hearing static noise only from one camera. And the problem exists in my replacement too. So phone is going back in the box and in store later today for a refund. I really don't have time for weekly visits to the Apple store trying to demonstrate the problem.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
So anyone here not have the problem. Someone mentioned callers on speaker phone can hear it. Can someone confirm. Also can someone post a video of them recording a video with the noise

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Got my 128 Black 7 Plus today and it has an issue where there are bursts of static following louder sounds in videos.

If you make a video of yourself snapping your fingers in a quiet room you can easily hear the problem when you play it back.

Pretty upset about this. Not going to make for good family videos.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
My 1-year old 6S+ which has a very fast processor in it makes ZERO sound. I can hear my 7+ (under load) while it is sitting on the table 3 feet away. This is not an unavoidable problem -- somewhere along the lines, a mistake was made or a corner was cut.

You either have superman hearing or you're a supertroll if you can hear that noise 3 feet away with ambient noise in a room.
I'm beginning to think that trolls have infiltrated the forums trying to drum up trouble. Or there is a great exaggeration going on here.

Reactions: cc999

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
Got my 128 Black 7 Plus today and it has an issue where there are bursts of static following louder sounds in videos.

If you make a video of yourself snapping your fingers in a quiet room you can easily hear the problem when you play it back.

Pretty upset about this. Not going to make for good family videos.
I noticed this too.

The so-called hissing sound is really not a problem for me as I have to press the back of the phone against my ear to hear it.

But the mic issue with louder sounds is a bit of a problem. Let's hope they can fix it with an update.

Reactions: csmith1289

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
I'm sure this will be a software fix. The auto-ranging on the mic needs to be tweaked. The gain is way to high in a quiet room and if you snap your fingers you can hear it get quiet before/after the snap when the gain is turned down but then returns to max gain.

Reactions: SBruv

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Spoke to apple support. Their engineers are aware of the reports and are looking into it. Have a call arranged next Friday.

SyKot

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
I have the issue but how do you know it is 2G interference? I have tried with Airplane mode and still got the sound..

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
I have the issue but how do you know it is 2G interference? I have tried with Airplane mode and still got the sound..
The 2G interference is a separate issue to the static noise for the rear camera microphone.
I can notice because the phone is trying to use data and you can hear it! I have a video recorded somewhere with that. I will try to upload.

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Got a call back thought it was next week but anyway

Official apple statement is that they're working on a software update to fix this issue and there's no need to replace the phone.

Reactions: imlynxy

csmith1289

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
Got a call back thought it was next week but anyway

Official apple statement is that they're working on a software update to fix this issue and there's no need to replace the phone.
Very interesting. Curious if a software update will actually be able to fix the buzzing?!

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Yup to fix the hissing issue when the phone is under load. I guess we have to wait and see now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.