Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
I listened to video that I took with my 6s Plus a while back...in my same living room. There was no "white noise" in the background like there is with my 7+. Distinctive difference between the two

My pre-order has not been delivered yet but I have already determined that, if the unit I get has noise and/or display issues, I will return it and keep using my 6s Plus. Hopefully, by the time Apple begins selling the SIM-free units, the issues I have been reading about will be resolved.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
My pre-order has not been delivered yet but I have already determined that, if the unit I get has noise and/or display issues, I will return it and keep using my 6s Plus. Hopefully, by the time Apple begins selling the SIM-free units, the issues I have been reading about will be resolved.
Are you sure that your 6S Plus doesn't have the noise as well? A lot of people have experienced this on older devices as well.

Reactions: DianaMR and imlynxy

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Got a call back thought it was next week but anyway

Official apple statement is that they're working on a software update to fix this issue and there's no need to replace the phone.

I googled and I didn't find any statements from Apple. May I ask you where you got this official Apple statement?

IMO the only software fix for hiss sound is to change processor frequency, but is already throttled.
While with a camera "white noise" they can adjust mic sensitivity.

Once again I don't care about hiss noise I only worry about camera noise. They fix it I buy the phone.

GreekFeeling

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2015
Aachen, Germany
Received yesterday my iPhone 7 Plus and it has also this hissing sound under heavy load. But I hear it only if I hold the phone to my ear, so not such a big thing for me! But I must admit that I didn't expect this from Apple!

Reactions: imlynxy

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Are you sure that your 6S Plus doesn't have the noise as well? A lot of people have experienced this on older devices as well.

My 6s has both hiss noise and camera noise, but both are not as loud as on 7/7+. If I have 6s noise level I be satisfied with iPhone 7 quality.
[doublepost=1474631574][/doublepost]
Received yesterday my iPhone 7 Plus and it has also this hissing sound under heavy load. But I hear it only if I hold the phone to my ear, so not such a big thing for me! But I must admit that I didn't expect this from Apple!

Hiss noise doesn't bother me either, but camera noise does.

jjayr41

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Hissrecordgate lol...I haven't really seen videos in non quiet surroundings, is the buzzing bad as well. That sound reminds me of the old phones where if you place your phone by a speaker or something, there is the buzzing sound that comes from the speaker system LOL...I get my phone today and hoping there is a fix for this, otherwise it's replacement for everyone.

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
Camera noise can be fixed imo
The camera microphone interference I posted above CANNOT be fixed with software. It is pure interference from the antenna transmitting data (or SMS) to and from the network cell tower. There is definitely something wrong. Is it the camera microphone? Is it antenna leak? I have no idea, but this is unacceptable for a £819 device.

I am not saying that the static noise (which is also present in the video) is acceptable. But the 2G interference from the antenna is the deal breaker. I will return the replacement device in its box with the accessories and everything later today. I hope they won't have any issues processing it.

Otherwise the phone is great. And I wish there wasn't any issues. Should they fix this at a later point, I'll reconsider buying it.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
Just on the phone to apple they said it isn't a software issue and they are not aware of any update to fix it. Went through all troublshooting steps to see if it was SW but it is a HW issue. So they are finding me a replacement phone.

Reactions: csmith1289

jjayr41

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Well once we hear official word from apple (hopefully) things will be taken cared of and hopefully not ignored or told we are recording video wrong..

Reactions: Hogg

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I think I've decided to return my phone. I have a 6s plus already and wanted to give it to my wife. During phone calls I hear the hiss and different noises the entire time. For $1000 this thing should be much better quality.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
As promised, here is the video from iPhone 7 Plus with 2G interference. This cannot be fixed with software. Pure interference.

Thanks (not) for adding yet another (2G) issue to the list! Djee, the Apple engineers do have a lot of explaining to do in their next meeting with Captain Cook! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
Just on the phone to apple they said it isn't a software issue and they are not aware of any update to fix it. Went through all troublshooting steps to see if it was SW but it is a HW issue. So they are finding me a replacement phone.

Are they sorting you out with a brand new boxed unit or will it be a refurb? I know it takes a while before refurbd get into the market but they appeared within a few weeks on the 5s as I recall when I had an early issue on that. I am happy to hold out and get mine swapped when units without the fault are available but don't want a refurb.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
Are they sorting you out with a brand new boxed unit or will it be a refurb? I know it takes a while before refurbd get into the market but they appeared within a few weeks on the 5s as I recall when I had an early issue on that. I am happy to hold out and get mine swapped when units without the fault are available but don't want a refurb.

They said as i only got the phone yesterday i can get a replacement but they do not have stock and the store near me is closing for a new one opening tomorrow so i will have to go to them and check tomorrow and see if they have stock. I have the case number so ill just show them and they'll replace my phone for me.

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
They said as i only got the phone yesterday i can get a replacement but they do not have stock and the store near me is closing for a new one opening tomorrow so i will have to go to them and check tomorrow and see if they have stock. I have the case number so ill just show them and they'll replace my phone for me.

That's good news then. Hope you manage to get a replacement soon as the stock still seems to be pretty low. Good luck!

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
That's good news then. Hope you manage to get a replacement soon as the stock still seems to be pretty low. Good luck!

I am going to get a replacement regardless i wont accept a refurb one when i only got the phone yesterday and i hope the next model does not have any issues either otherwise ill be p'd off. I love this phone its great but this issue has killed alot of excitement from me. But it is technology and this stuff happens its just how the tech industry is. So just gotta be patient i'm happy that it isn't an issue like the Note 7 and that it doesn't stop me from using my phone.

Plus apple have always taken care of me.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA

From what I have read, there are several kinds of noises at issue with many units of the iPhone 7: (1) a low-level noise related to processor activity that can only be heard when one holds the back of the phone close to the ear; (2) a noise of a higher volume, also related to processor activity, that can be heard a foot or two away; (3) a hissing noise heard when playing a video that has been recorded with the phone. The latter can coincide with any of the first two or occur by itself.

Since I have not recorded video on my 6s Plus, I cannot tell you if it has the video playback hiss issue. Otherwise, I have not heard any noise emanating from my 6s Plus. After reading some posts here I tried holding the back of my 6s Plus close to my ear while running Geekbench 3 and 4 and heard nothing.

I also had a 6 Plus, a multitude of BlackBerry devices, and a couple of Android phones. Never have I heard any noises emanating from my smartphones nor suspected that noise could be an issue with a smartphone. I do not know on what basis iMore's Rene Ritchie wrote that processor related noises were not only normal but expected.

Reactions: BootsWalking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.