Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I spoke to apple canada they are aware of issue says apple is working on it and we should hear something soon.I find only when phones doing something super intensive you hear it ,but for me i have to put my ear to phone(back of it ) or I won't really hear it .
Apple will not change a damn thing unless it is causing them to lose money.

Reactions: imlynxy

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Just rang AppleCare, agent escalated it to a senior advisor and he said "while there have been no reports of any harm due to the noise, it is a fault, it is recognised and it shouldn't be happening".

So there you go.
So what do they want you to do about it?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I am talking to apple chat and he said that they are not aware of the issue lol. I swear...

thats because you have to take what anyone here or there says with a grain of salt. I mean how do you know people here commenting even have an iPhone, or the issue? I have the issue, or do I? so try not to believe anything said or heard :)

AppleBonker

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
thats because you have to take what anyone here or there says with a grain of salt. I mean how do you know people here commenting even have an iPhone, or the issue? I have the issue, or do I? so try not to believe anything said or heard :)

This isn't a couple of isolated incidents. Usually I'm one to take all of this with a grain of salt but curiosity got the best of me and sure enough when I listened, I heard it. Really wouldn't care if it wasn't for the static in video recording. That's the part that annoys most of us. Three of my buddies who have 7 pluses are also having the same exact issue. I replaced mine as well and the replacement is having the same problem. Not the end of the world, but I think the best thing to do is wait it out a couple of weeks and then try to get it replaced.

Reactions: brianjsw01

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
This isn't a couple of isolated incidents. Usually I'm one to take all of this with a grain of salt but curiosity got the best of me and sure enough when I listened, I heard it. Really wouldn't care if it wasn't for the static in video recording. That's the part that annoys most of us. Three of my buddies who have 7 pluses are also having the same exact issue. I replaced mine as well and the replacement is having the same problem. Not the end of the world, but I think the best thing to do is wait it out a couple of weeks and then try to get it replaced.
wasn't debating it was a legit issue, it's affecting my phone but I'll live with it because its not affecting my calls or video or anything, i purposely have to hunt for it, so to me not a big issue but yes others i know it is! just more meant try not to believe everything you read is all. some stuff here is obviously made up, that's all i meant.

tadziak

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
I just got the new iPhone 7 and from the very start I can hear some static/coil whine. It's not disturbing as long as I don't put my ear on the back of the phone. However, unlike most people here I think it's the SSD that makes the noise. I hear it even when I just open the home screen of the phone. I had simmilar issues with my last 3 rMBP (you can hear the static/whine/hissing on the bottom of the computers). It's quite noticable also during downloads and playing youtube.

Wonder if there are some iPhone 7's without that issue?

I also noticed a really weird "issue" that it's a bit hard to explain. While the phone is unlocked, when you put the phone with your LEFT hand to your left ear and press slightly (with your ear on the top right corner, opposite from the camera) it reacts like the home button is pressed with the haptic feedback. I't very easy to reproduce once you find the right "spot and the angle". It's not really problematic, but very strange and hard to explain, since the home button is on the opposite side of the phone...

I would be grateful if someone could try it.

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Just on the phone to apple they said it isn't a software issue and they are not aware of any update to fix it. Went through all troublshooting steps to see if it was SW but it is a HW issue. So they are finding me a replacement phone.

wtf? they told me it'll be a software update ;/ scheduled another call with them. Lets see what they'll say this time.

Has anyone got their phone replaced? If so, do you have to take the box inc accessories with you or just the phone?

Last edited:
Reactions: MathersMahmood

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I have an appointment at the Apple Store tomorrow. If they have a replacement I will post here and let you know if it is present in the new device. If it is it may take some time for Apple to fix this in future production runs.

csmith1289

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
wtf? they told me it'll be a software update ;/
You know they follow a script right? Literally it depends on what they click to answer whatever question they ask.. which will ultimately lead them to some sort of resolutions whether software or hardware. From the sounds of this issue though, I think whoever you talked to was an idiot lol. I definitely do not see this being a software issue.

Pod4477

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Exactly the same on mine.
Good to know! I just tried it on my cousins 6S Plus and his had the same issue too, but no hum or white noise in the background throughout his videos, like my other video. He only had that white noise after finger snaps.

Last edited:

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
You know they follow a script right? Literally it depends on what they click to answer whatever question they ask.. which will ultimately lead them to some sort of resolutions whether software or hardware. From the sounds of this issue though, I think whoever you talked to was an idiot lol. I definitely do not see this being a software issue.

apparently it was a "senior engineer"

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
My 6 didn't hiss during playback after recording in quiet conditions though ... so how is it the mic? Genuine question.

It's very possible that the design of the mic on the iP7 is in fact not as good as the 6 or 6S, or there may be a software or iOS issue with the mic, but noisy ICs wouldn't typically generate that kind of white noise (as technically defined).
[doublepost=1474661164][/doublepost]
Have it replaced.

Indeed, but the question is whether new units at this point will be any better. If Apple decides to do something about this, it will probably take a month or more to flow down the inventory channels.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Stephen Hackett on twitter just got his replaced and he said it's completely silent. He's the tech reporter that started the entire hissgate thing.

I'm probably returning mine and waiting a couple months. I can hear the hiss on every phone call and when using Bluetooth in my car. I listen to podcasts everyday and it's annoying to hear.

Reactions: nj1266

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
Bought a 7 (not plus) last Friday. Have been following this thread and also the "yellow screen" thread with some interest. Have checked the screen and it has exactly the same color temp as my rMini just a little brighter under full brightness. It definitely does not look yellowish so I guess I was lucky when it comes to the screen.

Anyway, today I finally put the back of the phone to my ear... and yes it is hissing. :( Not only hissing (which varies in frequency and character) under load, it's also makes a ticking sound when idle, almost like a clock at nearly one tick per second. However, both sounds can only be heard when holding the back of the phone to my ear or maybe one or two centimeters away.

Then I got an idea... Maybe I should check my Sony Z3+ which I have had for over a year. Said and done. Guess what! It does also make this hissing sound! Just a little different in frequency and overall character. It is a little "smoother" but maybe also just a bit louder. When idle this phone makes some "squealing" sounds now and then, not directly the constantly ticking one as on the iPhone. The Sony phone also gets very warm very quickly so if you put the phone under load it is not very pleasant to hold it up against your ear for very long... To sum it up. Not sure what I should do with the iPhone. Since this hissing sound hasn't been an issue at all with the Sony phone for over a year I guess I will be fine keeping the iPhone, especially as the screen doesn't have the yellow tint at all. Actually, now it is just that irritating ticking that bothers me the most... :)

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
Bought a 7 (not plus) last Friday. Have been following this thread and also the "yellow screen" thread with some interest. Have checked the screen and it has exactly the same color temp as my rMini just a little brighter under full brightness. It definitely does not look yellowish so I guess I was lucky when it comes to the screen.

Anyway, today I finally put the back of the phone to my ear... and yes it is hissing. :( Not only hissing (which varies in frequency and character) under load, it's also makes a ticking sound when idle, almost like a clock at nearly one tick per second. However, both sounds can only be heard when holding the back of the phone to my ear or maybe one or two centimeters away.

Then I got an idea... Maybe I should check my Sony Z3+ which I have had for over a year. Said and done. Guess what! It does also make this hissing sound! Just a little different in frequency and overall character. It is a little "smoother" but maybe also just a bit louder. When idle this phone makes some "squealing" sounds now and then, not directly the constantly ticking one as on the iPhone. The Sony phone also gets very warm very quickly so if you put the phone under load it is not very pleasant to hold it up against your ear for very long... To sum it up. Not sure what I should do with the iPhone. Since this hissing sound hasn't been an issue at all with the Sony phone for over a year I guess I will be fine keeping the iPhone, especially as the screen doesn't have the yellow tint at all. Actually, now it is just that irritating ticking that bothers me the most... :)
The deal breaker for me was the static noise and 2G interference in videos.

The hissing and ticking on their own weren't a big issue anyway.

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
Hey guys I am hearing the hiss on my 7+. It's only noticeable when I put it up by my ear. Can't hear my videos or on calls. Should I go to apple or just live with it?

Needs

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
Hey guys I am hearing the hiss on my 7+. It's only noticeable when I put it up by my ear. Can't hear my videos or on calls. Should I go to apple or just live with it?
How do you test it up on video and calls?

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
How do you test it up on video and calls?

I opened a bunch of heavy apps and games then took a video. I couldn't hear a thing in the video. Only when I put it up to my ear. That's why I'm conflicted on if I should swap it or not. Or at least go to apple

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Did you test the video with the setting for 4K turned on? It looks like the system really needs to be working hard to make noise for most people.

cclarke99

Contributor
Feb 8, 2014
Seattle, WA
I noticed this starting to happen on my 7+ yesterday. It was sitting on my desk next to me at work and I heard a random hissing sound out of it. Downloaded GeekBench and ran a benchmark; the noise is worse under load, but still apparent when idle, just not as loud. I've been thinking about holding out to go in until Apple either issues a statement or stock frees up for replacements.

Reactions: chekz0414

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
So I raised my issue on chat and they escalated to a senior advisor who called me back. The case is being escalated with engineering now and am waiting for a call back on Monday. They suggested that I try a clean install of iOS and setup as new, even though they believe it is likely to be a hardware issue. Did a clean install this evening and was exactly the same so will see what Monday brings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.