Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I didn't know 2G even existed anymore. Not a problem for me.
My week 38 7+ doesn't have any clicking or hissing while listening to the back of the phone. Videos have a normal background noise that any cellphone video would have. Not an issue for me.

aishakeys

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2015
I spoke to apple canada they are aware of issue says apple is working on it and we should hear something soon.I find only when phones doing something super intensive you hear it ,but for me i have to put my ear to phone(back of it ) or I won't really hear it .

Last edited:

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
I am going to get a replacement regardless i wont accept a refurb one when i only got the phone yesterday and i hope the next model does not have any issues either otherwise ill be p'd off. I love this phone its great but this issue has killed alot of excitement from me. But it is technology and this stuff happens its just how the tech industry is. So just gotta be patient i'm happy that it isn't an issue like the Note 7 and that it doesn't stop me from using my phone.

Plus apple have always taken care of me.

I am feeling the same to be honest. I got mine on Wednesday (5 hour round trip!) and this has tainted the experience of a great phone so think I am going to get a support issue logged as well. Was going to play the waiting game to see what happens and I thought the issue had gone away but it has not so want to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Reactions: MathersMahmood

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
I noticed this too.

The so-called hissing sound is really not a problem for me as I have to press the back of the phone against my ear to hear it.

But the mic issue with louder sounds is a bit of a problem. Let's hope they can fix it with an update.
Well I just tested the mic on my old iPhone 6S and there is also noise on loud sounds when recording video.

So maybe this is just the way it is...

StarHunter

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
When I tested on my 6S Plus there was virtually zero static noise vs a large amount on my 7 Plus while recording. Also I getting the feeling this is showing up on calls as people have said its hard to understand me but when switching to another phone its fine.

Last edited:

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
When I tested on my 6S Plus there was virtually zero static noise vs a large amount on my 7 Plus while recrdoing. Also I getting the feeling this is showing up on calls as people have said its hard to understand me but when switching to another phone its fine.

I have exactly the same results you have. I could also here some white noise on video FaceTime.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
It has to be fixed by eliminating the noise. The microphones are picking up the audible external hiss & click while recording video. Hardware issue.

It can be fixed by applying a real-time software filter to the audio during recording. The downside will be the potential for increase CPU utilization / reduced battery life during video recording.

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
Here is mine I uploaded for Apple's Engineering Team a few days ago...cross-posted to another forum.

Reactions: Hogg

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
It can be fixed by applying a real-time software filter to the audio during recording. The downside will be the potential for increase CPU utilization / reduced battery life during video recording.

You're right, they could possibly add some extra ultra specific noise canceling, but that is somewhat beside the point, as we're talking about defective units...and that would just be covering up a hardware issue that generates the hiss n' click. Devices that are making this noise are faulty. There is no doubt there, as not everyone's is affected, and there is no doubt that Apple is not ok with this. Plenty of reports in the last few days, of people exchanging them at Apple stores for ones that are noise free.

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I have yet to see someone getting a phone that does not have this "issue".

Do you have a link?

In that thread about static during recordings, there are some reports. Though I should say, I'm not sure that it is the hiss n click...but here is one guy who said his replacement unit is noise free and perfect...and I'm sure he would hear the hiss n click if it was present.

"Replaced with a week 38 phone this morning (I had to reserve one on the IUP). No problems anymore. Good luck everyone still suffering from those issues. These things are frustrating but bound to happen due to the sheer scale of demand.

Basically. Get it replaced!
"

"Also had static in phone calls. All good now. Good luck to you all that still have the issue. Book a Genius Bar appointment and go through as many phones as you need to to be happy. Luckily for me it took 1. I went to a library to test it and no issues."

I also saw yesterday on another site, two people reported they had theirs replaced with perfect ones....and there are plenty of people saying they don't hear it with their original ones. Not all are defective. Hopefully it's limited to just a few of the early batches.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
In that thread about static during recordings, there are some reports. Though I should say, I'm not sure that it is the hiss n click...but here is one guy who said his replacement unit is noise free and perfect...and I'm sure he would hear the hiss n click if it was present.

"Replaced with a week 38 phone this morning (I had to reserve one on the IUP). No problems anymore. Good luck everyone still suffering from those issues. These things are frustrating but bound to happen due to the sheer scale of demand.

Basically. Get it replaced!
"

"Also had static in phone calls. All good now. Good luck to you all that still have the issue. Book a Genius Bar appointment and go through as many phones as you need to to be happy. Luckily for me it took 1. I went to a library to test it and no issues."

I also saw yesterday on another site, two people reported they had theirs replaced with perfect ones....and there are plenty of people saying they don't hear it with their original ones. Not all are defective. Hopefully it's limited to just a few of the early batches.
That's great.

But it really doesn't make sense that the issues reported are also present on older models - if this is in fact a hardware issue on the iPhone 7 / 7 Plus? Maybe there will always be some noise and some have just had devices on which the noise was a lot worse...

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
That's great.

But it really doesn't make sense that the issues reported are also present on older models - if this is in fact a hardware issue on the iPhone 7 / 7 Plus? Maybe there will always be some noise and some have just had devices on which the noise was a lot worse...

It's definitely different than the slight noise coming from the 6 series. Night and day to those who have both phones. I don't recall any sort of issue with static, hiss n' click from 6 series video recordings, phone calls etc. It isn't loud enough to leak through the microphones type thing. For sure way less audible in previous devices and other manufactures devices.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
It's definitely different than the slight noise coming from the 6 series. Night and day to those who have both phones. I don't recall any sort of issue with static, hiss n' click from 6 series video recordings, phone calls etc. It isn't loud enough to leak through the microphones type thing. For sure way less audible in previous devices and other manufactures devices.
The amount of hiss/static noise on my iPhone 7 is just the same on my old iPhone 6S. I can hear some faint noise when pressing the back of the phone against my ear. And if I turn up the volume I can hear some faint static noise on video recordings as well.

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
The amount of hiss/static noise on my iPhone 7 is just the same on my old iPhone 6S. I can hear some faint noise when pressing the back of the phone against my ear. And if I turn up the volume I can hear some faint static noise on video recordings as well.

Yours sounds like it's a normal one. That's good :)

Reactions: KimHansenDK

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
So I recorded a video there for 15 seconds, house was totally silent.

Played it back and there's a loud hissing and some kind of rapid ticking noise.

I'm using a standard 7, not a Plus.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I'm sure this will be a software fix. The auto-ranging on the mic needs to be tweaked. The gain is way to high in a quiet room and if you snap your fingers you can hear it get quiet before/after the snap when the gain is turned down but then returns to max gain.

The noise that we're discussing is noise from the ICs under load and is unlikely to fixed by any software/iOS changes, absent throttling the SoC or whatever other ICs are involved. This is specifically not white noise from the mic, it's chip noise from the system board.
[doublepost=1474651000][/doublepost]

The hissing is just mic noise. The ticking is the ICs and that is the real problem.

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016

You'll want to return that. Unfortunately :(

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
Just for the record, the Apple Store accepted my iPhone 7 Plus return for a refund. If anyone is interested as to what happens with the iPhone Upgrade Programme, they refund the £49 to your original payment method (card or cash) and the rest goes towards your loan with Barclays (which essentially settles it).

All sorted for now. This resolves my case. Hopefully Apple fixes this soon and maybe in a couple of months, I'll reconsider it.

Reactions: BrightCanon

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
The noise that we're discussing is noise from the ICs under load and is unlikely to fixed by any software/iOS changes, absent throttling the SoC or whatever other ICs are involved. This is specifically not white noise from the mic, it's chip noise from the system board.
[doublepost=1474651000][/doublepost]

The hissing is just mic noise. The ticking is the ICs and that is the real problem.

My 6 didn't hiss during playback after recording in quiet conditions though ... so how is it the mic? Genuine question.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Just rang AppleCare, agent escalated it to a senior advisor and he said "while there have been no reports of any harm due to the noise, it is a fault, it is recognised and it shouldn't be happening".

So there you go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.