Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
So I raised my issue on chat and they escalated to a senior advisor who called me back. The case is being escalated with engineering now and am waiting for a call back on Monday. They suggested that I try a clean install of iOS and setup as new, even though they believe it is likely to be a hardware issue. Did a clean install this evening and was exactly the same so will see what Monday brings.
Exactly what they did with me earlier in the week. Senior advisor called and told me I needed to replace the phone and went over my options. Now I'm going to Apple Store tomorrow.

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
Exactly what they did with me earlier in the week. Senior advisor called and told me I needed to replace the phone and went over my options. Now I'm going to Apple Store tomorrow.

Looks like I will be heading the same way. Have they reserved a replacement for you or are just hoping they have stock when you get there?

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Stephen Hackett on twitter just got his replaced and he said it's completely silent. He's the tech reporter that started the entire hissgate thing.

I'm probably returning mine and waiting a couple months. I can hear the hiss on every phone call and when using Bluetooth in my car. I listen to podcasts everyday and it's annoying to hear.

But is he referring to the CPU whine or the mic noise in videos?

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Looks like I will be heading the same way. Have they reserved a replacement for you or are just hoping they have stock when you get there?
They claimed they couldn't reserve one for me. Sis do have to go to Apple Store and have them examine the phone. Then they will order a replacement if they don't have one in stock and they in fact decide the phone needs to be replaced

CraigGB

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Next time I should avoid coming on here after I get my phone :p

Sadly this is proving to be a issue for me too, I decided not to check my phone to begin with as if I didn't hear it with normal use then I would be fine with it, in total silence I couldn't hear anything or even during phone calls, however problems arose when I went to play back live photos and videos I had taken indoors and sure enough there was ticking and hissing clearly audible with normal listening volume. :(

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but it reminds me of when you run the front panel audio cables in a PC too close to power/data cables and then when you use headphones with that jack you can hear feedback from the activity of your PC, seems my recordings do pick up the same noise that I can only hear it when I put the back of my phone right up to my ear (this is only there if I play video back from a silent room at high volume) but they also seem to be picking up some kind of interference as well that manifests as pops and ticks that are much louder. :(

I saw Stephan Hackett who was one of the first to report it now has a new phone and apparently it's silent so I think I will wait a few days, maybe a week or two to see if any info comes out and hope Apple have fixed it in newer phones as my guess would be it's very much hardware related, I think if I tried to swap it out for a new one now it's very possible I will end up with another with the same issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrightCanon

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I opened a bunch of heavy apps and games then took a video. I couldn't hear a thing in the video. Only when I put it up to my ear. That's why I'm conflicted on if I should swap it or not. Or at least go to apple

Record 15/20 seconds in a totally silent room and play it back. If you've got the hissing you'll hear it during playback quite clearly.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
My first unit on preorder day had terrible hissing and buzzing, got a new one (exchanged) and the new one seems perfect. No buzzing.

Is there any buzzing or hissing in the background with video recording?

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
They claimed they couldn't reserve one for me. Sis do have to go to Apple Store and have them examine the phone. Then they will order a replacement if they don't have one in stock and they in fact decide the phone needs to be replaced
Hope they have one in stock and you get it sorted then.

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
Bought a 7 (not plus) last Friday. Have been following this thread and also the "yellow screen" thread with some interest. Have checked the screen and it has exactly the same color temp as my rMini just a little brighter under full brightness. It definitely does not look yellowish so I guess I was lucky when it comes to the screen.

Anyway, today I finally put the back of the phone to my ear... and yes it is hissing. :( Not only hissing (which varies in frequency and character) under load, it's also makes a ticking sound when idle, almost like a clock at nearly one tick per second. However, both sounds can only be heard when holding the back of the phone to my ear or maybe one or two centimeters away.

Then I got an idea... Maybe I should check my Sony Z3+ which I have had for over a year. Said and done. Guess what! It does also make this hissing sound! Just a little different in frequency and overall character. It is a little "smoother" but maybe also just a bit louder. When idle this phone makes some "squealing" sounds now and then, not directly the constantly ticking one as on the iPhone. The Sony phone also gets very warm very quickly so if you put the phone under load it is not very pleasant to hold it up against your ear for very long... To sum it up. Not sure what I should do with the iPhone. Since this hissing sound hasn't been an issue at all with the Sony phone for over a year I guess I will be fine keeping the iPhone, especially as the screen doesn't have the yellow tint at all. Actually, now it is just that irritating ticking that bothers me the most... :)

Just did some videos in a room with absolutely no ambient sound and listened to the playback. I could not hear any hissing or ticking in the recording when listening through the headphones. There are some ordinary microphone white noise but I guess that is expected. This is good news but strange at the same time because I have no problem hearing those sounds when sticking the back of the phone to my ear.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I opened a bunch of heavy apps and games then took a video. I couldn't hear a thing in the video. Only when I put it up to my ear. That's why I'm conflicted on if I should swap it or not. Or at least go to apple

Record 15/20 seconds in a totally silent room and play it back. If you've got the hissing you'll hear it during playback quite clearly.

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014

Not necessarily... I did just that (see previous post) and could not hear anything in the recording but I hear the hissing when holding the back of the phone to my ear.

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
Not necessarily... I did just that (see previous post) and could not hear anything in the recording but I hear the hissing when holding the back of the phone to my ear.

SAME!!! It stopped when I started recording

Braddrum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
UK
Got my phone (7 plus black) on Tuesday and it's buzzing pretty loudly. My phone also gets seriously hot when doing basic things like browsing/texting.

When I lock the phone and leave it a moment it stops, as soon as the phone wakes though it sounds like crickets as it starts up again.

This sucks. Hope my local stores have stock but I'm not holding much hope. Has everyone had theirs changed hassle free? And did you book a genius appointment or just go in?

Braddrum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
UK
  • Factory: F2L - China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn

• Year: 2016

• Week: 37 (12.09 - 18.09)

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Looks like week 37 is a common theme so far...

This screenshot is from the other thread about static in recordings. One of these guys got a week 38 replacement and said it's perfect....
SmartSelectImage_2016-09-23-16-06-12.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.