Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
I dunno Vic. I'd strongly suggest you exchange it. Now is the time, not 2 months from now when it's driving you crazy. You don't want to have to put it into Airplane mode all the time, just as a bandaid. That seems unrealistic, ya know.

Looks like we're getting to the source of the noise. WiFi or Cell.

Here's a crazy thought... What if this is related somehow to the altered antenna design. Hmmm. Just a thought ;)

I know I probably should. I'm just concerned because what if the replacement has it also?

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
Excellent. I did notice there is some residual CPU "whine" present all the time. But the active hissing is most definitely the WiFi and cellular radios in the phone. The noise itself doesn't really bother me, but it sounds like there is some RF getting into the onboard microphones that screw with video recording and in my case, the WiFi radio in the phone is not reliable :-(

After the correlation with CPU activity, you may have provided the most significant insights into the noise issues so far. I hope that someone from Apple is reading.

Last edited:

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
I juts checked the inventory for my local Apple Store and it said "pickup unavailable" for a black 7 Plus 256 gig. I guess I couldn't go in there and swap it? How would it work? They'd order one and what would I have to use as a phone?

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I know I probably should. I'm just concerned because what if the replacement has it also?

Total bummer, I know.

So far, we haven't seen any week 38's with the issue. The one guy in the other "static" thread, said he got a week 38 perfect one....so it's still unclear if they fixed it with that batch, as those are just now being delivered to stores and people.

I'd be inclined to make sure the one you're getting as a replacement, is a week 38 at the very least.

Maybe you can check the dates of the stock at the Apple store before you accept the exchange. And or maybe check with them to see how long you can wait to replace...into week 39 ;)

Last edited:

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
Total bummer, I know.

So far, we haven't seen any week 38's with the issue. The one guy in the other "static" thread, said he got a week 38 perfect one....so it's still unclear if they fixed it with that batch, as those are just now being delivered to stores and people.

I'd be inclined to make sure the one you're getting as a replacement, is week 38 at the very least.

Maybe you can check the stock at Apple before you accept the exchange.

I just did and it said "unavailable for pickup" so I, guessing that means that there are none. I'm really conflicted on what I want to do. It's gonna suck going back to my 5s for the few days if they have to order one

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I just did and it said "unavailable for pickup" so I, guessing that means that there are none. I'm really conflicted on what I want to do. It's gonna suck going back to my 5s for the few days if they have to order one

Bummer. Well...the 5s for a few more days or weeks, would be better than a long long time with the rattlesnake ;)

Good luck!

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
Bummer. Well...the 5s for a few more days or weeks, would be better than a long long time with the rattlesnake ;)

Good luck!

Thanks man :) Yeah if people are getting new ones that are quiet, I'll probably go swap mine out.
[doublepost=1474685405][/doublepost]

Good luck!

Oh one quick question...would I have to give them the 7 and I would have to wait until the new one came in? Or I would keep and use the 7 until they get the new one in, then exchange it?

liorgr

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Hi,

I just got my replacement phone today... No buzzing!!!

I think they found the issue and fixed it. and I am happy they did!

Reactions: Hogg

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
Hi,

I just got my replacement phone today... No buzzing!!!

I think they found the issue and fixed it. and I am happy they did!

How was the process of replacing the phone? Did they let you keep the 7 until the new one came in?

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
so where did the whole " matte black and jet blacks don't have the issues come from.

Someone just made that up. There have been both with the issue. Definitely more of a when was it made deal.

No reports of week 38 having the issue, but we are only 4 days into week 38, so not too many people have those yet. It'll be interesting to see how 38/39 are. Hopefully fixed :)

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Both phones had this hissing noise but diagnostics passed and no issues found
so why did someone say those didn't?
[doublepost=1474687247][/doublepost]
Someone just made that up. There have been both with the issue. Definitely more of a when was it made deal.

No reports of week 38 having the issue, but we are only 4 days into week 38, so not too many people have those yet. It'll be interesting to see how 38/39 are. Hopefully fixed :)
do you think mine that hasn't been delievered yet, but shipped on monday will be a week 38?

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
so why did someone say those didn't?
[doublepost=1474687247][/doublepost]
do you think mine that hasn't been delievered yet, but shipped on monday will be a week 38?

No idea. Keep in mind, not all seem to be affected, so even if it's an earlier one...still might be hiss free.

JaisHTX

Contributor
Sep 22, 2004
Texas
Here's my info, and I have had no buzzing/hissing issues today. I have taxed the phone by doing a restore, downloading a ton of apps, watching a movie and recording a video -- no issues ...

• Factory: C39 - China

• Year: 2016

• Week: 38 (19.09 - 25.09)

Reactions: Hogg

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
Week 38 is known to be hiss-free as far as we currently know.

Well mine is definitely not. When under a load, for sure can hear it making all its noises. Not overly concerned about that as its only heard when putting ear up to the back. The white noise in the background when taking video is my bigger concern. My 6s+ did not have that. A very distinctive difference in videos taken with both phones.

rednocturne

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Well mine is definitely not. When under a load, for sure can hear it making all its noises. Not overly concerned about that as its only heard when putting ear up to the back. The white noise in the background when taking video is my bigger concern. My 6s+ did not have that. A very distinctive difference in videos taken with both phones.
Well there goes that theory I suppose.

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
I haven't received it yet, but apple support has a replacement phone in the mail to me, which is a week 38. The one I have now is week 37, and makes a bunch of noise when its under load ...

Makes videos sound like they were recorded under a fishtank.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.