Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
when you all are going to the apple store are they swapping you out with a unit new in box or a replacement unit? I'm week 37 and thought mine was fine but now I'm hearing something with my ear to the back of the phone. However it doesn't come through in recordings like my old one did.

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Enter your serial number here: http://sndeep.info/en
[doublepost=1474689821][/doublepost]
when you all are going to the apple store are they swapping you out with a unit new in box or a replacement unit? I'm week 37 but mine seems fine but now I'm thinking I'm paranoid and week 38 would be better.

Download Gfxbench, and start a benchmark. Put the back of the phone up to your ear, with the apple logo just over your ear. If you can't hear ticking, don't replace it. For all you know, you will replace a perfect phone with a defective one.

Reactions: kevroc

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Missed the above post. Sorry.

Mine is a week 38 and makes the noises. So definitely not free on week 38

General information
Factory: C39 - China

Year: 2016

Week: 38 (19.09 - 25.09)

rednocturne

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Week 38 here and no issues.
Week 38 still seems to be better overall. At some point during week 38, the issue must have been discovered and fixed. It'll be interesting to see if week 39 units continue to show improvement.

I'm also curious to find out more about this whole "creaking" issue when the phone is flexed (ie hold phone in right hand and force touch top left corner).

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
so are those with issues holding on until they for sure will get a week 38 or later phone? seems like a crapshoot now.

hollowplayer

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
someone needs to inform apple its the freaking wifi or cell, i just tested it when on airplane mode while recording video came out without hissing, when wifi and cell on static hissing like crazy.

Reactions: Mescagnus and Hogg

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I did a test with my 6S when I got home where I did the finger snapping thing, and I can hear the same sort of flare in static/white noise that I did on my 7. With that and the fact that the video that I took with me walking/talking etc sounded fine, I can only assume that either both phones have an issue (that hasn't bothered me in the months I've had my 6S) or I don't have the problem people here are talking about. :p I'm going to monitor it and this thread and see how things go.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
someone needs to inform apple its the freaking wifi or cell, i just tested it when on airplane mode while recording video came out without hissing, when wifi and cell on static hissing like crazy.

so then is the consensus that if you don't hear a difference in hissing when in airplane mode and not then you don't have a problem?

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
I haven't received it yet, but apple support has a replacement phone in the mail to me, which is a week 38. The one I have now is week 37, and makes a bunch of noise when its under load ...

Makes videos sound like they were recorded under a fishtank.

I have called Apple three times now, and they are refusing to send me an express replacement. Even after speaking with a senior advisor and asking for it to be escalated to customer relations. Probably have spent a total of 90 mins on the phone.

The last senior advisor asked me to send her a video with the hissing noise which I did. Waiting to hear back.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Hi,

I just got my replacement phone today... No buzzing!!!

I think they found the issue and fixed it. and I am happy they did!

Did you get a 7 plus and do you mean no buzzing with video recording or no buzzing at all?

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
I have another phone on its way to me in a few days (my husband's). It's also a 7+ black. I will see what it sounds like before making a trip to Apple. DO I only have the 14 days to return/exchange it or whenever? I have AppleCare+

AppleBonker

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Missed the above post. Sorry.

Mine is a week 38 and makes the noises. So definitely not free on week 38

General information
Factory: C39 - China

Year: 2016

Week: 38 (19.09 - 25.09)

Same. I'd already had my 128GB Plus replaced and exhibited the same issue. Ended up deciding I wanted a 256GB and exchanged, same issue. My phone is also a week 38.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
I did a test with my 6S when I got home where I did the finger snapping thing, and I can hear the same sort of flare in static/white noise that I did on my 7. With that and the fact that the video that I took with me walking/talking etc sounded fine, I can only assume that either both phones have an issue (that hasn't bothered me in the months I've had my 6S) or I don't have the problem people here are talking about. :p I'm going to monitor it and this thread and see how things go.
Exactly.

I hear it on iPhone 7, iPhone 6S and iPhone 5S.

It has nothing to do with the week of production. It has always been there to some extent. Only difference is that people now try to hear it because they know it's there...

Reactions: metsjetsfan

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
  • Factory: F2M - China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn

• Year: 2016

• Week: 37 (12.09 - 18.09)

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
I have another phone on its way to me in a few days (my husband's). It's also a 7+ black. I will see what it sounds like before making a trip to Apple. DO I only have the 14 days to return/exchange it or whenever? I have AppleCare+

You can exchange or refund within 14 days, with or without Applecare if purchased from an Apple Store..

I am thinking of returning mine for refund and then buy again in a few weeks when we know this is resolved. Passed my 6s onto my wife so will have to use her old 5s in the interim. Going to wait and see what Apple say when they call back on Monday first.

Last edited:

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Exactly.

I hear it on iPhone 7, iPhone 6S and iPhone 5S.

It has nothing to do with the week of production. It has always been there to some extent. Only difference is that people now try to hear it because they know it's there...

I filmed a side by side video with my 6 and my 7+ is way worse. I filmed a video of my kid in a busy playgroup with kids yelling in the background and the white noise hissing is still the loudest thing on the video.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
I filmed a side by side video with my 6 and my 7+ is way worse. I filmed a video of my kid in a busy playgroup with kids yelling in the background and the white noise hissing is still the loudest thing on the video.
But that doesn't change the fact that it is also present on older devices.

SwissGuy93

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
Well I have tested my regular 6s and my 7 Plus. I was in a very quite room and both devices have white noise (sounds like a fan and is constant not sometimes there is and sometimes not). The 7 Plus however is a bit louder (by no means a lot but I think it's a tiny bit louder. And yes I re-watched both videos on the same computer). About the static noise: When I play Netflix (without sound) or boot my device and press the back of my phone against my ear, I can hear the processor or whatever "working". But as soon as I am just one millimeter away from my ear or am putting it in my case, I can't hear anything. I haven't noticed anything on the video really, like others did with that static clicking noise.

Edit: I have re-watched both videos with my bose headphones and the white noise on the 7 Plus seems more high pitched while the 6s seems more flat, if that makes sense. But still no clicking / static noise.

Last edited:

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Anyone ever notice its only when downloading big files from wifi the hissing comes and the phone gets hot. Games and other processor intensive tasks seem to be ok

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
had another call with apple. Told me to restore the phone. Funny thing, when I plugged it in while on the call to them it started hissing really bad. Got another call scheduled in an hour to tell them if this fixed the issue or not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.