Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
iPhone 7 128GB Black - Week 37

Got the hissing issue recorded on camera. I ordered it on Apple Online Store. Can I just walk-in to Apple Store in Hong Kong and ask for an exchange? (Preferring new unit... is it possible? or will I just get refurbish iPhone 7?)

Here is two videos showing my iPhone 7 and iPhone SE. Both recorded in a regular city apartment nearby a busy street. Windows closed but outside noise leaked in + my pc fan is making some white noise...

iPhone 7

iPhone SE

You can simply exchange it for a new unit but they'd have to have it in stock of course

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
i exchanged 4 phones and on all of them i have got the issue
So with that in mind and when thinking about the fact that it is also present on older devices you could argue that it really isn't an issue. But then again some might hear it more than others...

Reactions: dwd3885

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I had no idea what this issue was until I followed the directions on this thread. I ran Speedtest with the back of the phone pressed right up against the back of my ear. Practically speaking, this is really a non-issue...unless you are a dog

There is zero doubt this is a real issue for some. Not all are affected, but this isn't just nit picking. It's actually real. It sounds like yours is not defective. That's great.

To those who have the issue, you don't have to press it up to your ear. It's very audible from a distance, in phone calls (to the other person as well), on recordings...you name it. It's there. Then, it magically goes near silent when you put it in Airplane mode.

Practically speaking, if you can hear, it's a problem.

For a dog, it's probably torture ;)

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
So with that in mind and when thinking about the fact that it is also present on older devices you could argue that it really isn't an issue. But then again some might hear it more than others...

There is no arguing this is an issue. At all. That phase is over. There are plenty that don't have the issue. Easy to tell the difference.

Not a surprise those 4 replacements were bad as well. This is obviously affecting the first few weeks of production. Hoping Apple figures it out.

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Because it's not a real issue I'm convinced now. Minor minor thing. It's just the level of loudness that occurs.

it is an issue. I can hear the noise when the phone is booting up at arms length. I couldn't care less if it was only if I pressed my ear against the apple logo......

Reactions: Hogg

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
The question is:
did Apple replace it? or did you ask to be exchanged ?
If Apple replaces it and you didn't ask to do it -> this means it is faulty...

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
lets see what the iphones that are being delievered today and this week will have. They are the newest weeks, since nothing has come from china since last week to apple stores.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
it is an issue. I can hear the noise when the phone is booting up at arms length. I couldn't care less if it was only if I pressed my ear against the apple logo......
oh if you can hear that then it's an issue. i think many people here can only hear something ever so slightly and that is why they keep getting replacements and still have problems.

Reactions: KimHansenDK

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
There is no arguing this is an issue. At all. That phase is over. There are plenty that don't have the issue. Easy to tell the difference.

Not a surprise those 4 replacements were bad as well. This is obviously affecting the first few weeks of production. Hoping Apple figures it out.
Then why is it also present on older devices? And why does some claim not to have the issue on week 34 and 35 phones?

And if you are right then why does some have it on phones from week 37 and 38?

Last edited:

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I have an appointment today to replace it though I am not optimistic that the new phone will be any different. The phone has that coil whine when I press my ear to the back which gets louder when phone is doing something, like booting up, downloading an app, swiping screen, etc.

In a silent room when I record video, playback sounds like there is static when volume is turned way up. But when I video my kids doing something outside, I don't really notice the static. I wonder if some combo of mic trying to pic up something when room is silent PLUS the new stereo speakers is causing us to view this differently. I mean how often are we video recording silence? That edge case may not be realistic.

The coil whine on back of the phone is disconcerting for sure, but is that just normal behavior for an electronic device?

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
Because it's not a real issue I'm convinced now. Minor minor thing. It's just the level of loudness that occurs.

Are you sure though? Because there are youtube videos showing this and some that dont show it.
[doublepost=1474730811][/doublepost]Here is proof.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Are you sure though? Because there are youtube videos showing this and some that dont show it.

My wife's 6S and my co-worker's 6 plus does not make noise holding the back of the phone up to my ear. Can anyone else confirm that older models have the coil whine? I think recording in silence may be confusing the mic (trying to pick up anything) and new stereo playback amplifying the issue. Recording normal activity (kids' soccer game) there is less of an issue. So for me, the only issue is the coil whine and whether or not that is a new phenomenon.

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Then why is also present on older devices? And why does someone claim not to have the issue on week 34 and 35 phones?

It's no where near as audible as the very well known, ever so slight, hiss from the 6 series. No where near. Night and day. Hence, the reason this has become a legit issue.

Why are some early week models not affected? Very simple. They don't have the issue. Who here has ever claimed this was problem for every single 7? No one.

We've already determined the hiss n click gets cut to near silent, when you put it in Airplane mode (approaching 6 series normal hiss, but still worse). So it seems that it's a WiFi/Cell issue of some kind, causing this noise.

Guys, there is no need to jump into this and try to convince people it's normal. Nothing to worry about. We are way past that point. It's an actual issue for some. Not all. Not like this is exclusive to Macrumors forum. Tech reviewers were the first to notice the abnormalities. The guy who was the first to report the issue, has already said his replacement unit is perfect. Silent. It's real.

NitromanseR

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
Georgia
Just got mine replaced from the Apple store (iPhone 7 Silver 128GB Verizon). Problem is still there. I got a week 36 phone.

Again. I can only hear the sound when I put it on my ear. Not on videos.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
Omg guys stop exchaning the phone. Just return it and buy it like a month or two later. This problem requires the design change or bom change. This takes time.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
It's no where near as audible as the very well known, ever so slight, hiss from the 6 series. No where near. Night and day. Hence, the reason this has become a legit issue.

Why are some early week models not affected? Very simple. They don't have the issue. Who here has ever claimed this was problem for every single 7? No one.

We've already determined the hiss n click gets cut to near silent, when you put it in Airplane mode (approaching 6 series normal hiss, but still worse). So it seems that it's a WiFi/Cell issue of some kind, causing this noise.

Guys, there is no need to jump into this and try to convince people it's normal. Nothing to worry about. We are way past that point. It's an actual issue for some. Not all. Not like this is exclusive to Macrumors forum. Tech reviewers were the first to notice the abnormalities. The guy who was the first to report the issue, has already said his replacement unit is perfect. Silent. It's real.
Okay.

Just keep exchanging your phones then...

GaryLiao

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
I just got off the phone with applecare, they told me that this was an emerging issue, that it's been noted from users of all models of the 7 series. If it is bothering you definitely go in store with evidence of it and get a replacement. Do keep in mind that since we are still so close to launch, whatever replacement units might be in store probably still have the issue. If apple does quietly fix the problem, you'll probably have to wait a couple weeks or more before the inventory flushes down to the stores.

My Device: 256 GB Jet Black 7+ experiences the issue and it can be heard in videos when you turn up the volume significantly. F2L device, manufactured in week 37.

On my device it doesn't seem to be linked to only network activity. Network activity causes the distinct HISSING noise, but even in airplane mode there still seems to be quiet bursts of whining.

Reactions: MathersMahmood

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
I have an appointment today to replace it though I am not optimistic that the new phone will be any different. The phone has that coil whine when I press my ear to the back which gets louder when phone is doing something, like booting up, downloading an app, swiping screen, etc.

In a silent room when I record video, playback sounds like there is static when volume is turned way up. But when I video my kids doing something outside, I don't really notice the static. I wonder if some combo of mic trying to pic up something when room is silent PLUS the new stereo speakers is causing us to view this differently. I mean how often are we video recording silence? That edge case may not be realistic.

The coil whine on back of the phone is disconcerting for sure, but is that just normal behavior for an electronic device?

how did you get the appoitment? I'm planning on reserving mine and telling them I need to swap it or buy the reserved phone then return my current one

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Okay.

Just keep exchanging your phones then...

Yep. That's what's happening :)

Kim, if you haven't seen this video by the YouTube personality Erica....check it out. She was not specifically trying to record the hiss n click...and even though they were talking throughout the video, you can clearly hear the noise. It doesn’t have to be a dead silent room to hear it. You don't have to hold it up to your ear etc. Not normal at all. Not the same as the 6 series. A real problem for some.

Reactions: MathersMahmood

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

You must have 1" arms because if you can hear that noise at arms length you obviously have a problem. You should be able to record your phone from 12" and post the results here.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
There is zero doubt this is a real issue for some. Not all are affected, but this isn't just nit picking. It's actually real. It sounds like yours is not defective. That's great.

To those who have the issue, you don't have to press it up to your ear. It's very audible from a distance, in phone calls (to the other person as well), on recordings...you name it. It's there. Then, it magically goes near silent when you put it in Airplane mode.

Practically speaking, if you can hear, it's a problem.

For a dog, it's probably torture ;)

I'm sure there is an unhealthy segment of people on here that are nitpicking. Some have returned their phones multiple times only to have the same issue. I don't see how this is possible. There definitely is an "issue" here, but I don't think it's with the phones.

Reactions: imlynxy and gim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.