Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
Yep. That's what's happening :)

Kim, if you haven't seen this video by the YouTube personality Erica....check it out. She was not specifically trying to record the hiss n click...and even though they were talking throughout the video, you can clearly hear the noise. It doesn’t have to be a dead silent room to hear it. You don't have to hold it up to your ear etc. Not normal at all. Not the same as the 6 series. A real problem for some.

Maybe I just have some perfectly fine iPhones then. I can still hear a very low noise when pressing the back of the phone (next to the camera) against my ear. It doesn't click - it is the same low hiss all the time. In recordings I get a continuous low static noise that can only be heard if I turn the volume up quite a bit. And that is what makes this so difficult. If people think that the "noise" that I experience is an issue - while there are a lot of people experiencing noise that are a lot worse - and they keep exchanging their phones in order to get one that is dead silent. That is not going to happen.

Reactions: dwd3885

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Maybe I just have some perfectly fine iPhones then. I can still hear a very low noise when pressing the back of the phone (next to the camera) against my ear. It doesn't click - it is the same low hiss all the time. In recordings I get a continuous low static noise that can only be heard if I turn the volume up quite a bit. And that is what makes this so difficult. If people think that the "noise" that I experience is an issue - while there are a lot of people experiencing noise that are a lot worse - and they keep exchanging their phones in order to get one that is dead silent. That is not going to happen.

Yours sounds normal then. No worries. Again, it's night and day to those who have it. You don't have to be quiet, or turn the volume way up. And in any event, you should be able to record something in silence, or a quiet room, and not hear this. Ya know. As you can with the 6 series, Galaxy sereis, or any other manufacturer. No audible hiss at all really. I have "old" Note 5 and it is absolutely silent. Natta. As is every other phone I've owned. Never heard any baseline buzz in recording. Erica and these other reviewers who are concerned about this, have tested countless phones...and this issue wasn't there with those. It is unfortunately specific to "some" 7's. It's a bummer. Good to hear yours is normal :)

One main thing to keep in mind... Many people have already received replacement units, that they say are perfect. This isn't just a few people on a witch hunt for a problem.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
My wife's 6S and my co-worker's 6 plus does not make noise holding the back of the phone up to my ear. Can anyone else confirm that older models have the coil whine? I think recording in silence may be confusing the mic (trying to pick up anything) and new stereo playback amplifying the issue. Recording normal activity (kids' soccer game) there is less of an issue. So for me, the only issue is the coil whine and whether or not that is a new phenomenon.

Makes no sense to compare 2 different processors. You have a lot more transistors on a larger die area. All processors from different generations have unique electrical characteristics and features. That's like comparing the sound of a normally aspirated engine to a turbocharged engine.
And you guys are forgetting that newer CPU's can run at various voltages to hit a given speed. So instead of Apple throwing out a CPU that does not hit 2.3GHZ at 0.35 volts it may actually hit the same 2.3GHZ at 0.5 volts under the exact same load. Not only are you pushing more voltage you may see a slight decrease in battery life when comparing a processor that can hit 2.3GHZ at 0.35 volts. That could explain why some of you can hear it and some don't. No processor is the same and all your doing is playing the processor lottery by swapping out devices.
One solution is for Apple to underclock the CPU during video recording without affecting the performance too much thus eliminating the noise from the CPU in that situation. There would be no reason to do this under gaming because who in the world listens to a game with the sound turned completely off.
I have a degree in electronic technology but maybe you electrical engineers can provide feedback.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
And turn the volume all the way up you are bound to get noise. That's how much gain works.

The noise from the ICs is not the true white noise that many people seem to be reporting. The ticking/popping/buzzing noises are coming from system components or possibly RF from those components.
[doublepost=1474735871][/doublepost]
My wife's 6S and my co-worker's 6 plus does not make noise holding the back of the phone up to my ear. Can anyone else confirm that older models have the coil whine? I think recording in silence may be confusing the mic (trying to pick up anything) and new stereo playback amplifying the issue. Recording normal activity (kids' soccer game) there is less of an issue. So for me, the only issue is the coil whine and whether or not that is a new phenomenon.

I have a pair of iPhone 6 phones and they have zero IC/system noise. It's different from mic issues.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Has anybody managed to visit an Apple Store to see what they say? Starting to think it'a normal given how many of us can hear it.

Or perhaps if somebody else can test with a previous iPhone.
I did that at an apple store but because it was so loud I couldn't hear anything. As long as it's not too loud it's not a big deal to me.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
Yours sounds normal then. No worries. Again, it's night and day to those who have it. You don't have to be quiet, or turn the volume way up. And in any event, you should be able to record something in silence, or a quiet room, and not hear this. Ya know. As you can with the 6 series, Galaxy sereis, or any other manufacturer. No audible hiss at all really. I have "old" Note 5 and it is absolutely silent. Natta. As is every other phone I've owned. Never heard any baseline buzz in recording. Erica and these other reviewers who are concerned about this, have tested countless phones...and this issue wasn't there with those. It is unfortunately specific to "some" 7's. It's a bummer. Good to hear yours is normal :)

One main thing to keep in mind... Many people have already received replacement units, that they say are perfect. This isn't just a few people on a witch hunt for a problem.

You will always get some static noise / white noise when recording in a silent room unless you use a quality microphone. On all the iPhones that I have tested (iPads as well) there or low static noise on recordings in a quiet or silent room - especially when turning up the volume.

dotFIVE

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014
When I was downloading Garage Band I noticed the hissing while my phone was at normal distance away from me. It's pretty loud even when I'm not holding the phone up to my ear. My 6S+ is on the same iOS build and does not exhibit any noise at all, even while being held up to my ear.

Just made an IUP reservation and will get a replacement today. I will report back if the new phone exhibits the same issues.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
For me, as long as it's not a) dangerous and b) causing damage to the phone then I'm not worried about it.

Yeah I rang AppleCare but at this stage I just wanted it logged on file IN CASE something came of it. For now, I'm still loving my 7, it makes my 6 look like a snail and I don't know how I lived without 3D Touch.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
I've got my phone replaced. The issue is still there but it's not as bad as before. Could it be that the issue is just a very sensitive microphone that's picking up more noise than it should be?

Reactions: imlynxy

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I'm sure there is an unhealthy segment of people on here that are nitpicking. Some have returned their phones multiple times only to have the same issue. I don't see how this is possible. There definitely is an "issue" here, but I don't think it's with the phones.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged" (Matthew 7:1)

I make a lot of video presentations for work and I work hard for my money to get a defective device.
If I have mental problems why I don't get free money,appartment, phone, food stamps, etc. from the government? ..... Stop! I know, because I have a health problem.

I'm ready to discuss the moral side of buy-return problem, but only after Apple brings back money home from offshore banks and pay taxes on it, so we can build schools, hospitals, roads and make our country stronger.
[doublepost=1474742969][/doublepost]
I've got my phone replaced. The issue is still there but it's not as bad as before. Could it be that the issue is just a very sensitive microphone that's picking up more noise than it should be?
I ordered a new one to buy today. I'm going to return "the noise maker" . They have no replacement in stock, I had to schedule an appointment to pick up new one. Will let you know how it works.

Reactions: MathersMahmood

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
So is this phone to the back of the ear noise thing everyone cause it seems like even 6s plus has some noise behind the phone. Or is it supposed to be audible without having phone to your ear. Not sure what the problem is supposed to be.
[doublepost=1474745197][/doublepost]Also I notice my 6s plus has some background noise to. A smidge barely more in the 7 plus. Its probably the microphone neing better and also the stereo speakers give off more sound. It's not to the point where you can't hear or film anything

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
I recently got my phone today and has that noise while recording.. Should i just keep it as long as it works and swap it later on whenever.. The Jet black is more "Available"

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I recently got my phone today and has that noise while recording.. Should i just keep it as long as it works and swap it later on whenever.. The Jet black is more "Available"

Again, this thread is mixing 2 different issues. Mic noise during recording and component noise when system is under load. The noise during recording may be related to mic quality or you're picking up component noise during recording. It's hard to tell because you guys are not technical enough to understand the difference so the responses here are random.

Reactions: SBruv and netnative

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Again, this thread is mixing 2 different issues. Mic noise during recording and component noise when system is under load. The noise during recording may be related to mic quality or you're picking up component noise during recording. It's hard to tell because you guys are not technical enough to understand the difference so the responses here are random.
I think it's just the mic quality. It's almost every one with this "mic noise".

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
"Judge not, that ye be not judged" (Matthew 7:1)

I make a lot of video presentations for work and I work hard for my money to get a defective device.
If I have mental problems why I don't get free money,appartment, phone, food stamps, etc. from the government? ..... Stop! I know, because I have a health problem.

I'm ready to discuss the moral side of buy-return problem, but only after Apple brings back money home from offshore banks and pay taxes on it, so we can build schools, hospitals, roads and make our country stronger.
[doublepost=1474742969][/doublepost]
I ordered a new one to buy today. I'm going to return "the noise maker" . They have no replacement in stock, I had to schedule an appointment to pick up new one. Will let you know how it works.

Thanks please do.

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma

I guess so yea. Oh well that's what apple care if for down the line right?

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
I honestly think it's the mic. It's too sensitive and is picking up a lot of white noise. I like this phone a lot. I do not take that much video but an issue is an issue and if people are getting their phones replaced and the mic issue has gone then I don't know what to believe.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I honestly think it's the mic. It's too sensitive and is picking up a lot of white noise. I like this phone a lot. I do not take that much video but an issue is an issue and if people are getting their phones replaced and the mic issue has gone then I don't know what to believe.
I don't think any of the issues are gone.

Also off topic but how do we check which week our phone is

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma

I can hear it during a phone call too haha

shuravko

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
I've got a hissing phone too (7+ 36 week). I'm not shure that there is any reason to return it until we can figure out how to check if device hiss-free. You can easily get new hissing phone + dust on camera or dead pixels or whatever. No trust in apple QC these days. ;)

Best way is collect some statistics and figure out at which point they fixed it (if it's fixed yet). Staff at apple stores most probably unaware about this.

Looks like week 38 have mixed results, if it was fixed during this week, we should have hiss free 39.

And no way it's worth to go back to 6S because of hiss, battery life is so much better, photos is etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.