Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shuravko

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Harware fixes can't be fast. They need to evaluate, found a solution, implement it, test and deploy to mass production.

If it's a new chip - it can be forever (monthes), if they can shut up that hissing bastard with duct tape or drop of glue - it can be faster ;)

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Harware fixes can't be fast. They need to evaluate, found a solution, implement it, test and deploy to mass production.

If it's a new chip - it can be forever (monthes), if they can shut up that hissing bastard with duct tape or drop of glue - it can be faster ;)

or.... they can just simply install ios on Note7. BTW it also a nice phone. :)

Seriously in the industry they use epoxy or a type of concrete. Apple went with cheaper components this year icluding Intel modem.

What do you think , what week they have now in stock in their stores , new one, not replacement?

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I honestly think it's the mic. It's too sensitive and is picking up a lot of white noise. I like this phone a lot. I do not take that much video but an issue is an issue and if people are getting their phones replaced and the mic issue has gone then I don't know what to believe.

It's not white noise, or the sound of an over-gained mic preamp - it's interference. The mic is obviously involved, but 'it' is not the mic.

Reactions: imlynxy

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
It's not white noise, or the sound of an over-gained mic preamp - it's interference. The mic is obviously involved, but 'it' is not the mic.

Apple helps me to improve me my knowledge physics and RF science. :) I hope I don't get a tuition fee from Citizens bank :)))))

Reactions: MathersMahmood

shuravko

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
This constant background noise can be fixed with SW by adjusting mic gain. That's not a big deal, but intermittent hiss from RF part - highly doubltly can be fixed. They need ether to sound insulate it or put other chip or passive elements on system board.

shuravko

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
What do you think , what week they have now in stock in their stores , new one, not replacement?

I've got week 36 2 days ago. Some getting 38. Its lottery right now. It'd rather check serial to figure out before unboxing. But at this point we are not sure if 38 is hiss free.

Reactions: imlynxy

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
So one more time guys? How can you tell your build and yeah I can hear it on my Bluetooth lol. I mean the good, we got the phones the bad? Got to squish some bugs right

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
So one more time guys? How can you tell your build and yeah I can hear it on my Bluetooth lol. I mean the good, we got the phones the bad? Got to squish some bugs right

type your serial number here-

http://sndeep.info/en

Mine has the buzzing and hiss that I can hear when its sitting on the couch next to me. But only did it when I was restoring a backup. It was LOUD. I can also hear it constantly, whether its in airplane mode or not, when I have my ear pressed against it. But I'm not concerned about that.
The real deal breaker for me is the loud white noise and whine that can be heard on videos I've filmed. And not even videos in quiet areas, its on all videos. Even ones with lots of noise. The 'pssshhhhhhh' noise can be heard louder than anything else. I'm pissed because 95% of the reason I got the 7+ was for the awesome camera.

I should add, audio quality on phone calls is nowhere near as good as the 6 too. On my carrier HD voice is available with compatible handsets, and one friend in particular also has a HD voice compatible handset. I noticed right away the first time I called him, his voice is not as clear anymore. Way worse than 6.

I should add - I'm a qualified audio engineer and used to own a video production business. So I'm not just random dude who has suddenly noticed that videos have white noise in the background.

I'm pretty sure its a combination of too high mic gain, but mostly, the mic that is in between the torch and camera is the one picking up all the RF interference from the components in that area.

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
Drove to the Apple Store Rosedale MN, to get a replacement...and sure enough, the sound is still prevalent.

It's funny, because I have an iPhone 7 128GB AT&T that doesn't make a peep...

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
type your serial number here-

http://sndeep.info/en

Mine has the buzzing and hiss that I can hear when its sitting on the couch next to me. But only did it when I was restoring a backup. It was LOUD. I can also hear it constantly, whether its in airplane mode or not, when I have my ear pressed against it. But I'm not concerned about that.
The real deal breaker for me is the loud white noise and whine that can be heard on videos I've filmed. And not even videos in quiet areas, its on all videos. Even ones with lots of noise. The 'pssshhhhhhh' noise can be heard louder than anything else. I'm pissed because 95% of the reason I got the 7+ was for the awesome camera.

I should add, audio quality on phone calls is nowhere near as good as the 6 too. On my carrier HD voice is available with compatible handsets, and one friend in particular also has a HD voice compatible handset. I noticed right away the first time I called him, his voice is not as clear anymore. Way worse than 6.

I should add - I'm a qualified audio engineer and used to own a video production business. So I'm not just random dude who has suddenly noticed that videos have white noise in the background.

I'm pretty sure its a combination of too high mic gain, but mostly, the mic that is in between the torch and camera is the one picking up all the RF interference from the components in that area.

Yea, It's very strange... But thanks for info.. Should i just keep it and deal with it since i DOUBT, apple will have any jet black +? One of my friends has the 256gb version and she said its all good -_- I'm jelly lol
[doublepost=1474759106][/doublepost]
Drove to the Apple Store Rosedale MN, to get a replacement...and sure enough, the sound is still prevalent.

It's funny, because I have an iPhone 7 128GB AT&T that doesn't make a peep...

Did u have to bring the box and everything or they just gave u a replacement new phone?

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I've got a hissing phone too (7+ 36 week). I'm not shure that there is any reason to return it until we can figure out how to check if device hiss-free. You can easily get new hissing phone + dust on camera or dead pixels or whatever. No trust in apple QC these days. ;)

Best way is collect some statistics and figure out at which point they fixed it (if it's fixed yet). Staff at apple stores most probably unaware about this.

Looks like week 38 have mixed results, if it was fixed during this week, we should have hiss free 39.

And no way it's worth to go back to 6S because of hiss, battery life is so much better, photos is etc.

I have a week 37 Plus Matt Black and its absolutely perfect. Perfect screen and no hiss or clicking.
I really love the phone!

CC

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Had my iPhone replaced today. New one has same issue. :(

Static / coil whine noise must be part of this new design. Also recording in silence = static sound during playback. Recording something normal, not really an issue. Moving on I guess....

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
What if apple told all of us that the hissing was necessary for the device to function properly. Due to heat dissipation or something(making this up)

Would everyone here be satisfied?

And would everyone who didnt have the hiss all of sudden want returns??

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Just got week 38 new from Apple store iPhone 7+ 256 black VZW. Same noise like my 37 week model. All the same, no magic here.
Really upset I like the phone, but I need video and this background noise makes the phone useless for me.

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
Just got my plus. There is definitely and static/hissing type of noise when i put my ear to the back of it. Very unlike an appke product.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
My two cents. Wait. Wait. Either return phone and use something else or keep phone and call Apple in a few months. It's not going to be fixed overnight and you'll be going through exchange hell over and over again.

Reactions: newellj

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
My two cents. Wait. Wait. Either return phone and use something else or keep phone and call Apple in a few months. It's not going to be fixed overnight and you'll be going through exchange hell over and over again.

Agree. I'll wait for whenever the fix they come up with

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.