Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
5 days. The phone was manufactured the previous week.
[doublepost=1474782820][/doublepost]

It was very obvious on my previous 7 Plus. No longer the case. Not sure what gives.
Just got my 7 plus yesterday and the hiss is pretty noticeable. It's pretty loud during video recording as well. Time for an Apple visit for me sounds like.

Reactions: mfldmike

shuravko

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Just got my 7 plus yesterday and the hiss is pretty noticeable. It's pretty loud during video recording as well. Time for an Apple visit for me sounds like.

Please share if it will be any better that your current 7.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My replacement 7 Plus finally arrived on Friday and I have an improved screen from the previous one but still not quite like my 6s Plus.
Also, there is absolutely no hissing from the phone. None. Week 37 of production.

Mine's a week 37 and it's pretty bad hissing. The week number won't matter at THIS stage. It's far too early for Apple to implement any fixes.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I'm slightly confused to what the issue is.

I have a 7 plus and a 6S plus in the house. Upon recordeding 4K video and with or without running geek bench at the same time I can hear slightly louder static/white noise upon video play back on the 7 and can't on the 6S.

There's no clicking, popping and I can't hear any hiss under any load. I can hear slight processing/component noice when I place my ear to the back of the device but HD calls are noise free and clear.
[doublepost=1474788664][/doublepost]
Quiet room while downloading a Spotify playlist.
Just tried downloading a playlist and running Geek Bench at the same time and it's completely silent. It's the camera up against the device?

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
I'm slightly confused to what the issue is.

I have a 7 plus and a 6S plus in the house. Upon recordeding 4K video and with or without running geek bench at the same time I can hear slightly louder static/white noise upon video play back on the 7 and can't on the 6S.

There's no clicking, popping and I can't hear any hiss under any load. I can hear slight processing/component noice when I place my ear to the back of the device but HD calls are noise free and clear.
[doublepost=1474788664][/doublepost]
Just tried downloading a playlist and running Geek Bench at the same time and it's completely silent. It's the camera up against the device?

I think you're missing the point of the video. It's recorded with the iPhone 7+ that's causing the issue and not another phone.

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
So after following this thread and my concern around my issue, here are my current thoughts:

The hissing noise may turn out just to be a characteristic of the new phone/processor. Even if this is the case there may be some that are louder than others and may emit an unacceptable level of noise, so just because other devices have been proved to make some noise does not mean there isn't a problem for some people. All combustion engines make noise but if one is significantly louder than another then that normally indicates a problem and it would be wrong to dismiss this without further investigation.

If it does turn out to be a component/design defect then it will take time to implement a fix, so swapping phones now will not resolve the issue unless you have an exceptionally loud one and you get lucky with a quieter one. Build week only becomes relative if we know when the fix gets implemented and that information won't be publicly available.

It could be a defective manufacturing process that may have only been present for a short period of time and has already been picked up and resolved. Build week is more relative here, but again we are not likely to be made aware of when the fix was implemented so have to rely on build week reports from people without the fault to determine a "post build week X" fix

These thoughts are centred around the processor hiss that concerns me. The white noise on video I guess may be related to the same root cause but I don't do enough video on my devices to know whether or not the noise I am hearing is acceptable or not. For sure it is louder than on my 6s but would it be a reason for me to swap the device, then the answer is no, but for some I am sure this is a bigger issue than the processor hiss.

I love my 7+ and am an Apple fan. For me they are handling my case as best and quickly as they can at the moment so I will see what update tomorrow brings. Teething issues for some are part of being an early tech adopter so I can live with it for now and am sure Apple will resolve or give us an explanation for the noise soon.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
My friend got a regular 7 yesterday and can confirm hers does not make a single noise.

Going to take mine back next Friday for a replacement.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
My friend got a regular 7 yesterday and can confirm hers does not make a single noise.

Going to take mine back next Friday for a replacement.
Great.

A bit hard to believe that it does not make a single noise when a lot of older devices have a very faint noise that can be heard when pressing the back of the phone against your ear.

nataku17

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2016
Managed to pick up a 256gb silver plus the other day. No noticeable sound when I place my ear to the back but all my videos have a very noticeable 'shhhhh' noise on them

Reactions: Ronnoco

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I thought people's phones were hissing while just sitting there. Now I'm hearing the hissing is only from recording. Then I'm hearing some is white noise.

I think all the phones have loud white noise. It's the mic. The plus also has some. But the hissing is confusing. I thought it was heard without ear to phone.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
I thought people's phones were hissing while just sitting there. Now I'm hearing the hissing is only from recording. Then I'm hearing some is white noise.

I think all the phones have loud white noise. It's the mic. The plus also has some. But the hissing is confusing. I thought it was heard without ear to phone.

It depends. The buzzing while recording video is no where near normal. Theres white noise and then there's a constant bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz when recording and that is not on at all.

Here is proof of mine.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
It depends. The buzzing while recording video is no where near normal. Theres white noise and then there's a constant bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz when recording and that is not on at all.

Here is proof of mine.
Okay. And what's the hissing? Is it only ear to phone or is it also heard with phone on counter. Everyone is posting they have something yet they don't explain everything.

CraigGB

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010

maybe I can clear it up, there is hissing as on most phones, laptops and electronic gadgets and my guess this is just a lottery from manufacturing variances in components, this will manifest as a constant hiss if you listen closely to the phone and in my opinion if you can only hear it with the phone stuck in your ear then it's nothing to worry about and likely is in line with most units, however some people have received really bad units where they can hear it with the phone far away in which case I can understand not being happy with it but I imagine all units will do this to some degree, as noted it's been on previous phones too.

Then there is white noise which is to be expected in a quiet room where the phone boosts the gain really high and again just about every smartphone microphone will display this, this too will be on every single phone out there, it's just the way these things work.

However I think the issue people are having is that recordings are picking up noise that isn't just white noise and instead seems to be a combination of the hissing and another noise that consists of ticks and hisses (this noise could be interference or it could be physical and is being picked up by the mic being so sensitive), this noise isn't constant and manifests.. well it sounds something like "scutscutscutscutscutTSSSscutscutscutscutTSSSTSSSTSSSSscutscutscutscutscut" and as far as I know this new to the 7 though I could be wrong if anyone wants to prove otherwise. :p

If it is physical then I don't think there is a fix outside massively overhauling the design of the A10 which Apple likely aren't going to do and therefore this too will come down to a lottery, some people will get lucky and get a quiet phone but if the odds are anything like with coil whine (which this sound really reminds me of) in other products then the odds are against you and I hope Apple would try to compensate through software by reducing the max gain on that mic.

Last edited:

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
maybe I can clear it up, there is hissing as on most phones, laptops and electronic gadgets and my guess this is just a lottery from manufacturing variances in components, this will manifest as a constant hiss if you listen closely to the phone and in my opinion if you can only hear it with the phone stuck in your ear then it's nothing to worry about and likely is in line with most units, however some people have received really bad units where they can hear it with the phone far away in which case I can understand not being happy with it but I imagine all units will do this to some degree, as noted it's been on previous phones too.

Then there is white noise which is to be expected in a quiet room where the phone boosts the gain really high and again just about every smartphone microphone will display this, this too will be on every single phone out there, it's just the way these things work.

However I think the issue people are having is that recordings are picking up noise that isn't just white noise and instead seems to be a combination of the hissing and another noise that consists of ticks and hisses (this noise could be interference or it could be physical and is being picked up by the mic being so sensitive), this noise isn't constant and manifests.. well it sounds something like "scutscutscutscutscutTSSSscutscutscutscutTSSSTSSSTSSSSscutscutscutscutscut" and as far as I know this new to the 7 though I could be wrong if anyone wants to prove otherwise. :p

If it is physical then I don't think there is a fix and will too come down to a lottery, some people will get lucky and get a quiet phone but if the odds are anything like with coil whine (which this sound really reminds me of) in other products then the odds are against you and I hope Apple would try to compensate through software by reducing the max gain on that mic.
Ah okay. Makes sense. I guess I just shouldn't go looking for problems. I'll know if I have them.

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
To make matters worse I can hear mine during phone calls too. Wah, but no yellow screen :). Uhh. If I were to take it to apple I doubt they have... any jetblacks to replace it with..

CraigGB

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Ah okay. Makes sense. I guess I just shouldn't go looking for problems. I'll know if I have them.

That's a good idea and I would always suggest you don't go looking for issues because you will find them, I only noticed it on mine when I went to edit some video on my PC I had shot inside and when people stopped talking I noticed it and that's when I came on here to see if others had experienced it. :(

Next time I'm never coming back to these forums after I get a new phone. :p

Reactions: brianjsw01

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Okay. And what's the hissing? Is it only ear to phone or is it also heard with phone on counter. Everyone is posting they have something yet they don't explain everything.

For me personally, my issues are -

As soon as I got home and plugged the phone into itunes, it started chirping and hissing and buzzing while sitting on the couch next to me. I was looking at something on my laptop and thought 'what's that noise?' I first thought I had a window open and I could hear insects buzzing around outside. It was then that I realised it was my phone. It has not done this since.

When I put my ear to the back of the phone, I can hear a noise pretty much identical to what is in that video above. This doesn't really bother me though. I never pressed my ear to the back of my iphone 6, for all I know it was doing the same thing.

When I record videos, I have lots of white noise and a very high pitched buzzing noise too. Different to the above video.

I also have a scratched camera lens - even though I have been extremely careful with it, as I have been with all my phones. Haven't had a case or screen protector on an iphone since the 4. Never even had a scratched screen, forget the lens. I noticed this scratch within a day.

http://imgur.com/STOrmPy

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
To make matters worse I can hear mine during phone calls too. Wah, but no yellow screen :). Uhh. If I were to take it to apple I doubt they have... any jetblacks to replace it with..

I'm ok with phone calls unless the phone is plugged in to my pc then it's really bad......

robertkarlsen

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Halmstad, Sweden
Time for the million dollar question:

Who´s getting fired from Apple over this HissGate-issue?

1. Craig
2. Jony
3. Random dude in random engineering team?

Winner will be selected this Friday!

Last edited:
Reactions: brianjsw01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.