Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
So is the best thing since we got rerun window is to try a new replacement or deal with it? I know we have 1 year warranty.. but, don't they normally give you a refurb?

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
So is the best thing since we got rerun window is to try a new replacement or deal with it? I know we have 1 year warranty.. but, don't they normally give you a refurb?

Replacements are brand new when they offered me that option (as it's a new device)

I'm going to go in again tomorrow (reserve another one) and see what to do for 4th time lucky

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
I went through 2 x 256 GB matte black iPhone 7+. Both had the coil whine noise and the hissing in videos. I tried out multiple units in two stores. Most of them have the coil whine noise. I found two that did not have it.

I gave up for now. I just placed an order online and it will not be here for 3-4 weeks. I am hoping this is fixed by then. If not, I will stick with my silent 6S+.

Last edited:

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I have been through 3x256gb pluses (all matte black) and everyone records the hiss when i film videos. I am going to keep exchanging until I get one that does not.

I'm also on my 3d one. I'm not going to replace it. I just return it and give Apple a break. They fix it, I buy it.

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
I went through 2 x 256 GB matte black iPhone 7. Both had the coil whine noise and the hissing in videos. I tried out multiple units in two stores. Most of them have the coil whine noise. I found two that did not have it.

I gave up for now. I just placed an order online and it will not be here for 3-4 weeks. I am hoping this is fixed by then. If not, I will stick with my silent 6S.

My return window is until oct 9, tempted to wait a week or so to see if new batches are better. Like yourself I have had multiple ones (3 now) and all have it.

People are saying in other threads that it is not an issue etc, disagree if you hear it so badly in recorded videos!

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
My return window is until oct 9, tempted to wait a week or so to see if new batches are better. Like yourself I have had multiple ones (3 now) and all have it.

People are saying in other threads that it is not an issue etc, disagree if you hear it so badly in recorded videos!

The fact of the matter is my iPhone 6S+ does not have this issue at all. So, if it is a "feature" of the iPhone 7+, I don't want it! Yes, the new camera is cool. However, if it is not fixed, I would rather have a phone that does not make noise then one that does.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Umm, that is for his viewers to hear not for him to hear. I can hear mine just fine sitting on table next to me.
That's what I want to see the noise being audible from a distance. Not from recording on the actual device.

But if you can hear it from far away then that is a problem. Otherwise I don't see apple fixing this. The regular iPhone user will not notice background sound on videos. But yea if it's hissing from far away then return it.

ShadowYYZ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Tulsa Oklahoma
My display is perfect, just the hissing no other things...

So my question to you all..

Should we just hold off till more batches come in and do warranty swap... " hope they will have jet black someday again.. cause i doubt it and mine is jet black"

OR... ask for a new one and be phoneless while its on its way lol
[doublepost=1474820873][/doublepost]
Replacements are brand new when they offered me that option (as it's a new device)

I'm going to go in again tomorrow (reserve another one) and see what to do for 4th time lucky

What if i have the jetblack? That wouldn't apply to me huh? Unicorns --_-

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I've got week 36 2 days ago. Some getting 38. Its lottery right now. It'd rather check serial to figure out before unboxing. But at this point we are not sure if 38 is hiss free.
38 is not hiss free, I'm typing from it right now.
[doublepost=1474822292][/doublepost]
Do the regular iPhone 7 models do this too, or no?
Yes, had 2 of them, but not all of them.

Gypsy36

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2013
Canada
So, the hiss really isn't the problem? That is just white noise? It's the crackling pulsating noise that is the issue. I heard it at full volume. That would be annoying if it came into videos

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
People, just return the phone and wait it out. You're just wasting your time swapping devices out without knowing the underlying problem or if it's really an issue.
And you may be getting played by trolls. It's easily to say that my week 39 has no issues forcing you people to run out the house looking like fools. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. If it bothers you that much then it was not meant to be.
Again this thread is mixing up 2 issues and you people don't fully understand. And people claiming that they can hear the hissing from 3 feet away are definitely trolling without a video.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
People, just return the phone and wait it out. You're just wasting your time swapping devices out without knowing the underlying problem or if it's really an issue.
And you may be getting played by trolls. It's easily to say that my week 39 has no issues forcing you people to run out the house looking like fools. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. If it bothers you that much then it was not meant to be.
Again this thread is mixing up 2 issues and you people don't fully understand. And people claiming that they can hear the hissing from 3 feet away are definitely trolling without a video.
Exactly. Where is the video do hissing from feet away.

Also how do we check the week again? Not sure I trust just typing my serial number into a site.

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013

For me the problem is hissing being recorded with the device itself. For a 920 gbp phone it is absolutely unacceptable

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
Went to Apple again to have it exchanged (3 times now) all phones had the issue and all of them were "C3" factory...the manager even had one making the noise.

Ultimately returned for a refund...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.