Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Great.

A bit hard to believe that it does not make a single noise when a lot of older devices have a very faint noise that can be heard when pressing the back of the phone against your ear.
Not hard to believe. There are definitely plenty of 7 and 7 Plus phones that don't have the hissing. I can attest to this as my replacement 7 Plus has zero hissing. This doesn't mean the hissing problem is not real, as my previous 7 Plus definitely had it.

Reactions: Hogg

IllusionEntity

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2013
Kent, UK
I have this "issue"... if I press my iPhone 7+ 128GB against my ear where the apple logo sits I can hear this "static" sound. However, if I then press my ear against the top speaker I cannot hear it. I can only hear it if I press the back of my phone against my ear, which ordinarily I will never do. So I don't care...

_boyan

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
London, UK

Another 3sec clip I made using iPhone 7 Plus where its clear that screeching and hissing is interfering while recording a video

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA

Another 3sec clip I made using iPhone 7 Plus where its clear that screeching and hissing is interfering while recording a video

Thank you for sharing that video. It seems that for many it is acceptable to have a constant hissing or white noise in their recorded videos. However, in your video one can hear, together with the hiss, a rhythmic noise that perhaps could be described as some sort of electrical interference. Was that recorded at the distance shown in the video?

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
For me personally, my issues are -

As soon as I got home and plugged the phone into itunes, it started chirping and hissing and buzzing while sitting on the couch next to me. I was looking at something on my laptop and thought 'what's that noise?' I first thought I had a window open and I could hear insects buzzing around outside. It was then that I realised it was my phone. It has not done this since.

When I put my ear to the back of the phone, I can hear a noise pretty much identical to what is in that video above. This doesn't really bother me though. I never pressed my ear to the back of my iphone 6, for all I know it was doing the same thing.

When I record videos, I have lots of white noise and a very high pitched buzzing noise too. Different to the above video.

I also have a scratched camera lens - even though I have been extremely careful with it, as I have been with all my phones. Haven't had a case or screen protector on an iphone since the 4. Never even had a scratched screen, forget the lens. I noticed this scratch within a day.

http://imgur.com/STOrmPy

I was under the impression that camera lenses on iPhones were protected with sapphire glass. Perhaps the cost of the dongle came out of substituting sapphire glass with tempered glass.

_boyan

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
London, UK
Thank you for sharing that video. It seems that for many it is acceptable to have a constant hissing or white noise in their recorded videos. However, in your video one can hear, together with the hiss, a rhythmic noise that perhaps could be described as some sort of electrical interference. Was that recorded at the distance shown in the video?

The phone on the table is iPhone 6s Plus. I was recording a video with iPhone 7Plus and yes there is clearly some kind of interference which is coming from the back of the phone where the apple logo is.
What do you mean was it recorder at the distance ?
:)

At0m1cPunk

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
I have this "issue"... if I press my iPhone 7+ 128GB against my ear where the apple logo sits I can hear this "static" sound. However, if I then press my ear against the top speaker I cannot hear it. I can only hear it if I press the back of my phone against my ear, which ordinarily I will never do. So I don't care...
Thats what I thought, until I realized the same sound appears on recorded videos. If you don't care about that, then I guess you're ok then.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
The phone on the table is iPhone 6s Plus. I was recording a video with iPhone 7Plus and yes there is clearly some kind of interference which is coming from the back of the phone where the apple logo is.
What do you mean was it recorder at the distance ?
:)

Of course, if you were recording the clip with the iPhone 7 Plus the noise was not emanating from the iPhone shown in the video. I got it now.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Can someone show me a video of an iPhone 7 making noise. Not recorded from the actual problem phone.

I'm talking recorded from another phone and showing that the phone hisses.

I want to hear what this chirp hissing is.
[doublepost=1474810292][/doublepost]Also if it's hissing loud enough to hear on counters than damn yea return it. Especially if it's constant. It shouldn't hiss just sitting in table with screen off

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Prob not listening with ear to back of phone or ears have wax in them.
Why would thT be something anyone would do. Let me listen to the back of my phone. That's like going to listen to back of my lap top. You will hear something.

Not same thing as what people are describing

Reactions: KimHansenDK

garymontague

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010

Just took a video whilst downloading a game and you can clearly hear what sounds like the SSD being accessed

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Why would thT be something anyone would do. Let me listen to the back of my phone. That's like going to listen to back of my lap top. You will hear something.

Not same thing as what people are describing

Because it did not exist on prior models. Moreover, it is that noise which is interfering with the top mic and messing with the audio on videos.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Because it did not exist on prior models. Moreover, it is that noise which is interfering with the top mic and messing with the audio on videos.

I actually hear it on my older iPhone and one iPad. Also, i have a hiss, and it's not affecting my calls or video's, so it's some people have this, not everyone, clarify your statements. ;)

Gypsy36

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2013
Canada
Gawd, I am developing Apple hypochondria. My phone has a very loud "white noise" in videos. I assume this is just because the microphone is so sensitive. There is nothing I can hear from the back of the phone. The problematic noise is more of a mechanical one, is that right?

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I actually hear it on my older iPhone and one iPad. Also, i have a hiss, and it's not affecting my calls or video's, so it's some people have this, not everyone, clarify your statements. ;)

Ok, but you're the outlier. All 6 of my prior phones have zero static noise. We have mountains of evidence in this thread and in my experience yesterday at Apple store that this exists on nearly all iPhone 7 models. Every floor model had the issue. And my replacement phone has it. 4 of my co-workers all have the issue.
[doublepost=1474814013][/doublepost]
Gawd, I am developing Apple hypochondria. My phone has a very loud "white noise" in videos. I assume this is just because the microphone is so sensitive. There is nothing I can hear from the back of the phone. The problematic noise is more of a mechanical one, is that right?

It could be due to stereo speaker and mic which likely can be corrected with software. If its the static causing the white noise then it could be tougher unless Apple corrects the top mic audio by filtering out that static.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Can someone show me a video of an iPhone 7 making noise. Not recorded from the actual problem phone.

I'm talking recorded from another phone and showing that the phone hisses.

I want to hear what this chirp hissing is.
[doublepost=1474810292][/doublepost]Also if it's hissing loud enough to hear on counters than damn yea return it. Especially if it's constant. It shouldn't hiss just sitting in table with screen off

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I just came back from the Apple Store.

They had no idea what it is and what could it be (not surprising as this phones just came out today), so they ordered a replacement phone for me /:

They could reproduce the issue easily. Also I noticed that when turning on the phone you can hear it very well, I guess because of the extra processing that is being done while booting the device.

Kind of disappointed they don't have a few in stock for cases like this, but on the other hand it sounds like an issue more common than 1 damaged phone. so I hope that if it is a faulty batch or something like that so the wait my pay off and by the time I get my replacement phone it will be fixed.
Did you checked the demo iPhones in the store if they doing it too?
[doublepost=1474815225][/doublepost]
Thats a big problem to me good that I waited will keep my iPhone 6S+ till iPhone 8

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
The fact he has to put a microphone and amp it up to hear. Lol really. Also didn't the 6s plus make some noise too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.