Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shuravko

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016

This shows it quite well - watch and learn!

Everyone have seen this. The question is if it sapphire or not. You can scratch sapphire, I have scratches on SS Apple Watch. To know it for sure we need to use diamond tester on the glass.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
Everyone have seen this. The question is if it sapphire or not. You can scratch sapphire, I have scratches on SS Apple Watch. To know it for sure we need to use diamond tester on the glass.
Sapphire shouldn't be that easy to scratch?
But let me know if you find a video showing the diamond tester.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
AT&T delivered my wife's pre-order for a Gold 256GB iPhone 7 Plus --an F2/Week 38. She did not notice any of the noise issues reported here --even while restoring an iCloud backup during which process the unit became very hot. I was able to record a 4K 30-second video in a household environment with the usual TV and kitchen sounds. I detected a hiss during playback but not static, buzzing or crackling noises. Moreover, it seems that the 7 Plus has a more sensitive microphone than the 6s Plus. While I did not detect a hiss during playback of a similar video recording made with the 6s Plus, I noticed that the 6s Plus did not pickup as many ambient sounds as the 7 Plus. This is a first impression. If proven accurate, it may provide a clue as to the causes of the hissing noise during playback of videos recorded with the iPhone 7 Plus.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
Okay. And what's the hissing? Is it only ear to phone or is it also heard with phone on counter. Everyone is posting they have something yet they don't explain everything.

If you put your ear on the back of the phone you will hear a hiss. Which I don't care about.

But recording a video will give you that noise like the video I linked. I don't know if the mic is picking up the noise of the chip or if the mic is defective.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Managed to pick up a 256gb silver plus the other day. No noticeable sound when I place my ear to the back but all my videos have a very noticeable 'shhhhh' noise on them
Similar here. No hissing except what sounds like an audio compression issue while recording video. I had to literally put my ear to the speaker to hear it.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
For me the problem is hissing being recorded with the device itself. For a 920 gbp phone it is absolutely unacceptable

Are you referring to:

1. CPU noise under load?
2. White noise pickup from the mic during recording?
3. CPU noise being picked up by the mic during recording?

Again, people are mixing up issues within one thread.

Reactions: newellj

londonbairn

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
Are you referring to:

1. CPU noise under load?

There is a sound which sounds like the hissing sound I hear when I place my ear to the back of the phone being recorded. Does not happen on my 6s+ and 6+.

There is clearly an issue with the phones. Wether it is coil whine or the microphone or harambe inside the phone is kind of irrelevant; there is an issue.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
AT&T delivered my wife's pre-order for a Gold 256GB iPhone 7 Plus --an F2/Week 38. She did not notice any of the noise issues reported here --even while restoring an iCloud backup during which process the unit became very hot. I was able to record a 4K 30-second video in a household environment with the usual TV and kitchen sounds. I detected a hiss during playback but not static, buzzing or crackling noises. Moreover, it seems that the 7 Plus has a more sensitive microphone than the 6s Plus. While I did not detect a hiss during playback of a similar video recording made with the 6s Plus, I noticed that the 6s Plus did not pickup as many ambient sounds as the 7 Plus. This is a first impression. If proven accurate, it may provide a clue as to the causes of the hissing noise during playback of videos recorded with the iPhone 7 Plus.

"She did not notice any of the noise issues reported here"

Most "normal" people won't even notice. That's because this issue has been blown out of proportion here on this thread. Many folks here don't even record video yet they need a perfect phone. I get it, you pay a premium for your purchase but why drive yourself nuts trying to find the perfect phone after it's been in the wild for only 10 days.

"I detected a hiss during playback but not static, buzzing or crackling noises."

Again, this is a different issue. The buzzing/hissing the thread is referring to is CPU noise under load. What your describing is Mic quality. These are 2 different things.

reginaalear

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
I have read through a few pages but not all of them. Does anyone know what Apple has said about this? I have it on my 7+ also. It only happens when I'm doing something like downloading a lot of apps. Then I have to put my ear up to the Apple logo. Is everyone calling them to report it? I'm just wondering what I need to do.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Similar here. No hissing except what sounds like an audio compression issue while recording video. I had to literally put my ear to the speaker to hear it.
On my 7 that's what I hear also. As an experiment I started4K video recording on my Nexus 6P, 9.7 iPad Pro, iPhone 7 and left them in a quiet room for a few minutes. All had the same hiss when you listen close to the speakers.

Reactions: Ronnoco

dotFIVE

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014
Just got a replacement 7+ today. This one still makes noise, but it is a lot quieter compared to my previous 7+. My previous device would buzz intermittently while my new one just "chirps". My previous device's buzzing was audible at a normal distance away while under strenuous load (I was downloading GarageBand), while my new one is only audible if you put your ear to the Apple logo (I'm currently restoring it from an iCloud backup).

The video recording noise is about the same between the old and new, both with a higher white noise volume compared to my 6S+.

I think I may just keep this one since they all seem to be affected in different degrees--I just happened to get one that isn't as loud as my last. I don't want to keep going through the hassle of exchanging phones for a sound that can only be heard if the logo is held up directly against my ear.. and who ever uses their phone like that? I only returned my last one out of curiosity and because you could hear the noise from normal usage distance.

I love the device otherwise and am happy with it, so I won't downgrade.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Yea my plan is to compare my replacement once it arrives. If it has the same issue, I am going to send the replacement back and keep the original phone

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
There is a sound which sounds like the hissing sound I hear when I place my ear to the back of the phone being recorded. Does not happen on my 6s+ and 6+.

There is clearly an issue with the phones. Wether it is coil whine or the microphone or harambe inside the phone is kind of irrelevant; there is an issue.

So what are you going to do? Keep swapping out a "defective" phone for the next few weeks for another "defective" phone? Only logical course of action is for you to go back to your 6S and get your refund. Then wait for an official response from Apple. It's clear that you're not happy with the phone or satisfied with Apple's response. So why drive yourself nuts?

And why compare a 6S to a 7? I thought they used different CPU's. /s
[doublepost=1474840557][/doublepost]
I have read through a few pages but not all of them. Does anyone know what Apple has said about this? I have it on my 7+ also. It only happens when I'm doing something like downloading a lot of apps. Then I have to put my ear up to the Apple logo. Is everyone calling them to report it? I'm just wondering what I need to do.

Not trying to be funny but don't put your ear to the phone if you don't like the noise. I've done the same thing since hearing about this issue and it works very well. And no, I don't have crazy amounts of noise coming off my video recordings.
Just enjoy your phone and don't get caught up in this non-sense. Otherwise swap it to like you have nothing else better to do with your time or ask for your money back. You could wait it out but that does not make sense for a lot of people here.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I think the mic picks up a lot of white noise. I don't hear the CPU hissing noise. It sure what this chirping sounds like. Again videos would help. It videos recorded from the device with hissing but from another.

At0m1cPunk

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
So what are you going to do? Keep swapping out a "defective" phone for the next few weeks for another "defective" phone? Only logical course of action is for you to go back to your 6S and get your refund. Then wait for an official response from Apple. It's clear that you're not happy with the phone or satisfied with Apple's response. So why drive yourself nuts?

And why compare a 6S to a 7? I thought they used different CPU's. /s
[doublepost=1474840557][/doublepost]

Not trying to be funny but don't put your ear to the phone if you don't like the noise. I've done the same thing since hearing about this issue and it works very well. And no, I don't have crazy amounts of noise coming off my video recordings.
Just enjoy your phone and don't get caught up in this non-sense. Otherwise swap it to like you have nothing else better to do with your time or ask for your money back. You could wait it out but that does not make sense for a lot of people here.
We don't even know what this noise is. This could be a failure waiting to happen down the road, so until Apple either fixes it or explains what it is, their is indeed reason to worry.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I returned my phone today, lost 30 minutes of my valuable time in a store (please no comments here), it was packed with customers. For now I'm going back to 6s thanks to my busy schedule and laziness I didn't sell it on Swappa.

I can make some comments about Apple here, but I really believe that we have people here who understand the situation correctly.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
We don't even know what this noise is. This could be a failure waiting to happen down the road, so until Apple either fixes it or explains what it is, their is indeed reason to worry.

So again, what are your options? If you're that worried the only true course is to return the phone until "Apple either fixes it or explains what it is". Swapping the phone out multiple times is a silly resolution.

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
So again, what are your options? If you're that worried the only true course is to return the phone until "Apple either fixes it or explains what it is". Swapping the phone out multiple times is a silly resolution.

I wonder if Apple will do what they did a few years ago. If you swap out the iPhone a certain many times, they will then cut you off and not allow you to swap out any more. I think it happened with the yellow screen issue awhile back.

Also, I don't have any noise at all and neither does any of my friends. Hope everyone gets this taken care of.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Are you referring to:

1. CPU noise under load?

Yes. These threads have become basically useless due to this confusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.