Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
I checked my 6s+ today, and found that in fact it does have a very faint hiss, but it is much quieter than the 7+. If I had to guess, I'd say the 6s+ sound is 5-10X louder.

I never would have noticed it on the 6s+ if I hadn't been looking for it. With the 7+, I checked immediately after receiving it, and I am confident that I would have eventually noticed even if it was not for this thread.

I suppose this leads to the question of "what level of hiss is tolerable". I would of course prefer for it to be at the same level as the 6s+ or quieter, but it may ultimately be a problem of "when you have a processor this fast, you have no choice but to have a hiss".

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I also discovered the hissing people are complaining of is actually the WiFi radio transmitter at the top of the phone. While doing the speed tests, it would hiss like crazy. After the test completed, it would settle down. If I turn WiFi off, the hiss goes away even if I use a CPU intensive app. Turn WiFi back on...hissing. Speed test...big time hissing!

This member is claiming that the WIFI radio transmitter is the cause. Has anyone tried to listen with WIFI turned off?

egeek84

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Northern California
so I thought my iphone 7 plus jet black was perfect upon inspection but I was wrong because I too have the hissing issue.

I'm not sure what to do because I absolutely love and adore this phone otherwise.

If I was to return it, I wouldn't bother going with replacements because this almost seems like a design issue and that almost all phones would have it rather than it being one of those "bad batch" type of scenarios.

I don't know, I think i'll record a video today and upload it to youtube and see if it bothers me enough/if it's noticeable.

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
found out that I can hear the noise when on wifi calls ;/ phone needs to go back

yankeebobo

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2014
Somewhere in my head
I have a slight hiss during video recordings. But I don’t record much so I will be waiting until the stock improves in the stores. This will also allow for the various rounds of manufacturing to shake out in case they run in batches.

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
does anyone know if it's possible to reserve more than 1 iPhone with the same apple id? I tried reserving another phone 4 times but failed every single time. There's no specific error but when I get to the last confirmation page and click confirm, it says we're no longer accepting reservations. Need to try with another apple ID

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
does anyone know if it's possible to reserve more than 1 iPhone with the same apple id? I tried reserving another phone 4 times but failed every single time. There's no specific error but when I get to the last confirmation page and click confirm, it says we're no longer accepting reservations. Need to try with another apple ID

You are wasting your time and energy. Your chance that you get a phone with no hiss is very low. I would just return it and wait up.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
This member is claiming that the WIFI radio transmitter is the cause. Has anyone tried to listen with WIFI turned off?

I put my phone into airplane mode and found it made no difference. Mine sounds as if there is a very teeny tiny rusty fan in there.

I did compare it to my 6S Plus running the same stress test and if there is a noise coming from the 6S it is right at the limits of imperceptibility, I can't really hear anything.

Are there people who have phones that are making the sound loudly enough to hear at a distance? I can say I probably would have not noticed this unless I had read about it here.

I do however have big concerns about the hiss problem when recording video, which I have rather badly with my phone. I'm going to wait to see if there is an update this week, and if that doesn't fix it for me then it will be back to the store for a return.

Ollypop25

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2016
I apologize if this has been touched on, I'm new and have a quick question before I head to the Apple Store yet again. I had to return my first phone for a completely unrelated issue that couldn't be fixed and I've now ended up with another issue. The first phone I had did have the hiss, but only if you put your ear to the back to listen for it so it didn't bother me. This phone, however, has the hiss in the back but I can also hear it coming through the front of the phone, by the speaker for your ear, when I go to make a call. I called Apple Support and there is nothing they can do so they said I will have to return it and hope for the best with a new one...has anyone had an issue with it coming through the front of the phone like that? I hope this makes sense, I just don't want to look crazy (well, crazier) when I go back again today. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Week 34, 7 Plus, 128gb Gold here and yes if I put my ear against the Apple logo in the back I can here something in there "working" during a speedtest but it's certainly not loud or even worth exchanging the phone for IMO.

I'm not saying there isn't an issue, I'm just saying some of you might be grasping at straws...

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Week 34, 7 Plus, 128gb Gold here and yes if I put my ear against the Apple logo in the back I can here something in there "working" during a speedtest but it's certainly not loud or even worth exchanging the phone for IMO.

I'm not saying there isn't an issue, I'm just saying some of you might be grasping at straws...
Do you have it when recording?

slayer1551

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2009

If you set something to download while on wifi that's quite big and then start to record a video in silence, do you hear anything when you play it back?

jjayr41

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
I took some video with my nexus 6p and the 7+, in quiet settings I get static on both devices. On videos with noise all over, you can't even hear static or crackling. For the video I put the phones on a phone stand and you can hear the phones pick up some noises like airplane and the busy street behind the house, but really no crackling except just the static/white noise and I do hear the whining/crackling when i press my ear on the back of the phone:

Hopefully these links work....videos taken in a closet with no other electrical devices besides the light.

nexus 6p:
https://goo.gl/photos/DgDTtUpgw1NtUnA78 (thumping noise is the cars passing by, i think, unless it a ghost)

7+: (you can hear an airplane humming by)
https://goo.gl/photos/YASjoyUGBdBwnT9F6

I'm just glad I do not have the noises when shooting in non silent environments. Again hoping apple says something about this. Be it its a normal sound or they will replace if it is heard when shooting videos no matter the environment.

Last edited:

LyricalMenace

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
I received my replacement phone today. I had a week 37 and they gave me another week 37. Right out of the box I heard the noise when booting up. Setup as a new phone and downloaded Garage Band app to stress the system while taking a video. Could hear it loud and clear. Also can hear the sound when my ear is up to the front ear piece.

Chatting with Apple now.

So decided to send back the replacement phone they sent me and keep my original phone. Will go to Apple store later this week and return the phone within the 14 day return policy. Will try to reserve one the night before and try my luck there.

I was offered $150 towards any Apple Store product for my troubles.

Last edited:

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
I took some video with my nexus 6p and the 7+, in quiet settings I get static on both devices. On videos with noise all over, you can't even hear static or crackling. For the video I put the phones on a phone stand and you can hear the phones pick up some noises like airplane and the busy street behind the house, but really no crackling except just the static/white noise and I do hear the whining/crackling when i press my ear on the back of the phone:

Hopefully these links work....videos taken in a closet with no other electrical devices besides the light.

nexus 6p:
https://goo.gl/photos/DgDTtUpgw1NtUnA78 (thumping noise is the cars passing by, i think, unless it a ghost)

7+: (you can hear an airplane humming by)
https://goo.gl/photos/YASjoyUGBdBwnT9F6

I'm just glad I do not have the noises when shooting in non silent environments. Again hoping apple says something about this. Be it its a normal sound or they will replace if it is heard when shooting videos no matter the environment.

You do not have the issue from what i hear. Mine is much worse so consider yourself one of the lucky ones lol.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Just came back from the Apple Store and I exchanged my week 37 and received a brand new week 39. This one still has the hissing/buzzing and noticed the screen is a tad bit warmer. Going to see if the hissing is audible while video recording.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008

People are confusing white noise with hissing on videos. The mic is more sensitive. A lot of what people think is hissing is white noise

Honestly to return a phone because if you play the back to your ear you sometimes hear a hiss that's ridiculous.

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Yeah I'd never return the phone jsut because I can hear a faint hiss if I press my ear to it.

But I did notice a hissing and static buzzing noise on the phone when it was sitting on the couch next to me, it was that loud. Only when restoring my backup though.

I'm a qualified audio engineer, and used to own a video production company. I know my way around mics and cameras. And the first time I played back a video I recorded, the hissing and whine I heard on the video stuck out like a sore thumb. It is definitely not normal.

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
I have a slight hiss during video recordings. But I don’t record much so I will be waiting until the stock improves in the stores. This will also allow for the various rounds of manufacturing to shake out in case they run in batches.

Thats my plan

mt_skier

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2016
So I got my 7 via the trade in deal from Verizon. No way I want to sacrifice that deal for whats clearly a parts issue that batches further down the line probably wont have. So why not just wait it out and replace down the line via applecare, since Im an applecare purchaser anyways? Anyone see a reason why this wouldnt work?

reginaalear

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
What are everyone's thoughts on the white noise while recording videos? I was considering exchanging my phone but it seems everyone has this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.