Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianjsw01

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Excuse me if I'm late to the party but has Apple even made a public remark on the hissing?

As far as I know, no. They are probably still assessing the scope of the situation, what the possible solutions are, and from there they will make a business decision to either publicly acknowledge the problem, or privately issue guidance to their support team to replace devices only when a customer is savvy enough to complain, or finally, in the worst case ignore the problem entirely and let the store staff have discretion over what to do. Hoping for the best of course which would be a public admission of a problem and a software fix but not holding my breath.

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
7+ / 256 / Matte Black / TMobile/GSM/Intel

Apple sent me a replacement phone. Original phone was Week 37. Replacement was Week 38.

They arrange an advanced replacement by calling 1800-apl-care, and put a temporary hold for the full value on my credit card until i return the original.

The hissing on the original week 37 was plainly audible even without 'stressing' the cpu, and was of course louder when stressing the CPU.

I never noticed the hissing of the 6S+ before, but after this whole thread, I decided to go and check -- yes, it does make a very slight hiss in the same spot if i put it right up to my ear, but honestly if i wasn't looking for it i would never hear it.

IMHO, all iPhone 6S and 7's have hissing to some extent, and the slight hiss is 'normal and not a problem'.

The hissing on the defective 7+ was probably 10X louder than the 6S+. The replacement 7+ is the same level of quiet as the 6S+. I am very happy with the replacement.

In all honesty, this morning, before my replacement arrived, I had very low confidence, and assumed that I was going to end up having to return both the replacement phone and the original, and get a full refund. Fortunately, all is good and I am keeping the replacement.

Good luck to the rest of you, hopefully you manage to get a replacement to your satisfaction. I've seen others say 'only 10% of 7+ do not have the problem'. perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket today that I only needed to get one replacement.

Reactions: brianjsw01

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Note 7 is a good phone on paper but 2 days after preordering it I got so frustrated with my S7 lagging I just wanted to throw it against the window. So knowing that the Note 7 is just a S7 with S-Pen I canceled my preorder. Samsung sucks at updating their phones because the carriers (especially Verizon) have too much control and they delay updates. Another issue is that Samsung just can't update their phones in a timely matter. Let's see how long it takes Samsung to update their 2015 flagships to Android N.
The other issue is the Snapdragon processor. Samsungs home grown processors are so much better.
Note 7 lagging? Not a problem on my end. Phone runs great and has a long battery life.

As for updates, it already has a bunch more fearures than stock Android so it's not like were missing much while Samsung pushes updates.

Last edited:

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
People claiming their iPhones have problems because they hear "hissing" when recording movies.

Samsung shill YouTuber Erica something is exploiting this to damage Apple's brand.

That woman for hire is being paid by Samsung (notice on how she dismisses the low scratch resistance on the Note 7, while previously making a big deal out of it), Jerry Rig Everything does the same, its as if they are almost saying "sorry Galaxy for scratching you", but completely destroyed a Motorola phone for it.

The "hissing" while recording is 100% normal and all phones and all cameras with OPTICAL IMAGE STABILIZATION make it.

OIS works by moving the lens the other way of you hands movement, that movement will always make a soft "hissing sound" due to the coils (small motors) inside the camera assembly.

This is comparably true for the iPhone 7 series as they have large lenses with wide aperture, smaller lenses don't have the same mass and therefore won't make as much noise.

When recording in silence, the phone amplifies the gain of the microphone and the internal OIS mechanism sound is amplified.

Of course, every year they have to fabricate a couple of iPhone gates. Specially now that the main competitor have a grave problem with exploding.

However, if the camera is not being used, you should not hear any hissing obviously, if your phone makes hiss, it won't break, but if you can ear (direct, not recorded and amplified) noise at normal distance, in the silence, you should return it under warranty. That is not hiss, it's more high pitched. It sounds more like a a dentist rotary tool and less like water pouring. You can trigger not by using the camera, but for example, running a game while muted. In that case, it's called coil noise and it's very rare in mobile phones (as currents are normally low).

Last edited:

snsking

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2013

Apple sent me a replacement phone. Original phone was Week 37. Replacement was Week 38.

They arrange an advanced replacement by calling 1800-apl-care, and put a temporary hold for the full value on my credit card until i return the original.

The hissing on the original week 37 was plainly audible even without 'stressing' the cpu, and was of course louder when stressing the CPU.

I never noticed the hissing of the 6S+ before, but after this whole thread, I decided to go and check -- yes, it does make a very slight hiss in the same spot if i put it right up to my ear, but honestly if i wasn't looking for it i would never hear it.

IMHO, all iPhone 6S and 7's have hissing to some extent, and the slight hiss is 'normal and not a problem'.

The hissing on the defective 7+ was probably 10X louder than the 6S+. The replacement 7+ is the same level of quiet as the 6S+. I am very happy with the replacement.

In all honesty, this morning, before my replacement arrived, I had very low confidence, and assumed that I was going to end up having to return both the replacement phone and the original, and get a full refund. Fortunately, all is good and I am keeping the replacement.

Good luck to the rest of you, hopefully you manage to get a replacement to your satisfaction. I've seen others say 'only 10% of 7+ do not have the problem'. perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket today that I only needed to get one replacement.
Can you check your PMs, I have a quick question for you

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010

do me a favor. on your new phone go to settings about, is the model number M or N ?

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
People claiming their iPhones have problems because they hear "hissing" when recording movies.

Samsung shill YouTuber Erica something is exploiting this to damage Apple's brand.

That woman for hire is being paid by Samsung (notice on how she dismisses the low scratch resistance on the Note 7, while previously making a big deal out of it), Jerry Rig Everything does the same, its as if they are almost saying "sorry Galaxy for scratching you".

The "hissing" while recording is 100% normal and all phones and all cameras with OPTICAL IMAGE STABILIZATION make it.

OIS works by moving the lens the other way of you hands movement, that movement will always make a soft "hissing sound" due to the coils (small motors) inside the camera assembly.

Of course, every year they have to fabricate a couple of iPhone gates. Specially now that the main competitor have a grave problem with exploding.

However, if the camera is not being used, you should not hear any hissing obviously, if your phone makes hiss, it won't break, but if you can eat it at normal distance, in the silence, you should return it under warranty.

The hissing and metallic static buzz I hear on my videos is definitely NOT normal.

Furthermore, filming a video using the telephoto lens which does NOT have OIS, still results in the same loud hissing and buzzing.

Reactions: At0m1cPunk

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Not trying to support daddy since he is know to be an android person on these forums and pushes it very hard. But I will say I just returned my iPhone 7 plus and trying to get my hands on a note 7 once AT&T processes my return. I've had my s7 edge for a work phone since it came out and it's been fine. Rarely does it lag. At least it doesn't hiss and pop.
I'm an Android and Apple person. Hell, I'd be willing to buy a Windows phone as well.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
You got to witness Samsung in action before passing judgement and I can speak from experience. I've owned the Galaxy S, Note 2, 3, 4, S6, S7 and the Note 10.1 and all of these devices have one thing in common, lack of timely updates or no updates at all. The most disappointing device has to be the Note 10.1. Samsung left that device out to die while they released tablet after tablet. You would figure that I learned my lesson 2 years ago but no, Samsung finds a way to bring you back with new tricks (Gear VR).
I've owned countless Android devices from 2010 to present and the only Android device I trust now is Nexus.
This is my second year using iPhones consistently and while my experience with iPhone 6 was horrible I came back to iPhone with the 6S and it's been great. Then I purchased an SE and it's been a tiny power house. And right now I'm holding a iPhone 7 Plus in hand with no regrets, CPU noise in all. I don't have an issue with it because I don't use my phones cocked to my ear while watching YouTube and my videos are no different than what I typically see. If it bothered me that much I would have returned it or waited until October 4th for Pixel. One thing is for certain, no Samsung device until they fix their nonexistent update policy. That actually goes for all Android OEM's. That S7 you have will be forgotten and pushed back to the end of the line when the S8 comes out, trust me on that.

Technically it isn't Samsung that the delay is. It's the wireless providers usually.

I've owned many androids too with iPhones. Honestly the updates are not a huge deal when the phones have so much more to offer tha iOS already.

Reactions: DADDYDC650

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Hmm and you can only hear this when it is next to your ear. That's strange. Seems like your CPU would be more similar to stories of hearing noise further away.

Apple can probably fix what the mic picks up.

Apples fix will be turning the CPU power down. That most likely will solve be issue. But also slow the phones down.

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016

That woman for hire is being paid by Samsung (notice on how she dismisses the low scratch resistance on the Note 7, while previously making a big deal out of it), Jerry Rig Everything does the same, its as if they are almost saying "sorry Galaxy for scratching you".

However, if the camera is not being used, you should not hear any hissing obviously, if your phone makes hiss, it won't break, but if you can eat it at normal distance, in the silence, you should return it under warranty.

Hahahaha whhhhaaaaat?

OIS is making the hissing? Lolz. What the...

Is it April?

That was a long post, for a short joke....but thanks for the laugh. Post of the year candidate. Taking a screenshot of this.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
The hissing and metallic static buzz I hear on my videos is definitely NOT normal.

Furthermore, filming a video using the telephoto lens which does NOT have OIS, still results in the same loud hissing and buzzing.

It is normal.

The 7 plus uses the two lenses at the same time, even if you use the telephoto lens, because it uses the wide angle to enhance the image of the telephoto Lens.
[doublepost=1474957022][/doublepost]
Ummm, you're kidding, right?

OIS is making the hiss and click? Lolz. What the...

Is it April?

That was a long post, for a short joke....but thanks for the laugh.

If you don't have anything to say, you should excuse yourself to make rude comments because you're not winning anything.

Any OIS obviously makes sound

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
It is normal.

The 7 plus uses the two lenses at the same time, even if you use the telephoto lens, because it uses the wide angle to enhance the image of the telephoto Lens.

If you don't have anything to say, you should excuse yourself to make rude comments because you're not winning anything.

Oh wow. You're actually serious. Lolz
[doublepost=1474957203][/doublepost]Thanks for the laugh.

Cheers

Reactions: slayer1551

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Technically it isn't Samsung that the delay is. It's the wireless providers usually.

I've owned many androids too with iPhones. Honestly the updates are not a huge deal when the phones have so much more to offer tha iOS already.

Ah! These Android/Samsung apologists!

It's a problem with Samsung, even the UNLOCKED phones don't have Nougat yet!

So what's the excuse now?

Not having the latest version is not a problem of features, it's a problem of security (no security fixes, and there are a lot of publicly known ones in Linux/Android), and the App developers cannot use the latest APIs because people don't have the OS version.
[doublepost=1474958383][/doublepost]
lmao oh wow, is this shill actually serious? Please tell me youre trolling.
Oh wow. You're actually serious. Lolz
[doublepost=1474957203][/doublepost]Thanks for the laugh.

Cheers

Sorry to burst your bubble:

Every time you take a picture with the iPhone 7, both the wide angle and telephoto fire off. Yes, two 12 megapixel pictures for every shot. This could be a prime driver behind the increase of the iPhone 7 Plus’ memory to 3GB.

Both images are needed due to an Apple technique it is calling “fusion” internally. Fusion takes data from both sensors and merges them into the best possible picture for every condition. If, for instance, there is a low-light scene that has some dark areas, the image-processing chip could choose to pick up some image data (pixels or other stuff like luminance) from the brighter f1.8 wide angle and mix it in with the data from the f2.8 telephoto, creating a composite image on the fly without any input from the user. This fusion technique is available to every shot coming from the camera, which means that the iPhone 7 Plus is mixing and matching data every time that trigger is tapped.

TechCrunch iPhone 7 review

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Ah! These Android/Samsung apologists!

It's a problem with Samsung, even the UNLOCKED phones don't have Nougat yet!

So what's the excuse now?

Not having the latest version is not a problem of features, it's a problem of security (no security fixes, and there are a lot of publicly known ones in Linux/Android), and the App developers cannot use the latest APIs because people don't have the OS version.
[doublepost=1474958383][/doublepost]

Sorry to burst your bubble:

TechCrunch iPhone 7 review

Please stop talking. You do realise that Androids get monthly security patches right? I guess not because your knowledge seems somewhat limited.

And you calling someone an apologist is somewhat ironic.

Reactions: KillaMac and ABC5S

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Please stop talking. You do realise that Androids get monthly security patches right? I guess not because your knowledge seems somewhat limited.

You stop talking, if your dream is to fool people into Androids you should try a job at Walmart.

Androids?

Google launches the updates to Nexus, if you have anything else, you'll probably never get it.

Reactions: Hanzu Lao

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
You stop talking, if your dream is to fool people into Androids you should try a job at Walmart.

Androids?

Google launches the updates to Nexus, if you have anything else, you'll probably never get it.
Samsungs and no doubt other manufacturers get the patches too. This is off topic anyway I suggest you drop the conversation before your posts get deleted.

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
It is normal.

It is not normal. If it was, the 6+ would have the same white noise and static buzz present in videos. It doesn't.

The white noise and whine is LOUDER than any other audio in the videos I shoot. Including yelling kids.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
It is not normal. If it was, the 6+ would have the same white noise and static buzz present in videos. It doesn't.

The 6+ has a much smaller lens (f/2.2 vs f/1.8), so it doesn't make as much noise as the lens on the 7 series.

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
The 6+ has a much smaller lens (f/2.2 vs f/1.8), so it doesn't make as much noise as the lens on the 7 series.

But for it to be the loudest thing on video? Louder than kids yelling? (You may have not read the extra sentence I edited in).

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Can we get back to the issue? I don't care about the note 7. If you guys think this is acceptable then let's agree to disagree. This isn't a £300 phone. I've checked a couple of 6s's at work yesterday and no one has this issue. So it's definitely new to the 7 and should not be there no matter how quiet or loud.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
But for it to be the loudest thing on video? Louder than kids yelling? (You may have not read the extra sentence I edited in).

DUH! Microphone gain!

When it's silent, the phone ups the microphone gain.
[doublepost=1474963128][/doublepost]
Can we get back to the issue? I don't care about the note 7. If you guys think this is acceptable then let's agree to disagree. This isn't a £300 phone. I've checked a couple of 6s's at work yesterday and no one has this issue. So it's definitely new to the 7 and should not be there no matter how quiet or loud.

This is back to issue.

Of course they don't have the issue, because their cameras are smaller and don't have OIS.

This "issue" happens because this is not a £300 Phone.

Last edited:

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
DUH! Microphone gain!

When it's silent, the phone ups the microphone gain.
[doublepost=1474963128][/doublepost]

This is back to issue.

Of course they don't have the issue, because their cameras are smaller and don't have OIS.

This "issue" happens because this is not a £300 Phone.

I don't think you understand. The white noise and static buzz/whine is louder WHILE kids are yelling. It literally sounds like I'm filming next to someone taking a shower. PSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH over the top of everything. I really wish you wouldn't be so dismissive, I'm no idiot, I'm a qualified audio engineer and have worked in video production. Microphones and cameras have been a big part of my life. And I'm telling you. It. Is. Not. Normal.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008

So now you only hear something with your ear placed to back of the phone?

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
I don't think you understand. The white noise and static buzz/whine is louder WHILE kids are yelling. It literally sounds like I'm filming next to someone taking a shower. PSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH over the top of everything. I really wish you wouldn't be so dismissive, I'm no idiot, I'm a qualified audio engineer and have worked in video production. Microphones and cameras have been a big part of my life. And I'm telling you. It. Is. Not. Normal.

I'm an Electrical Engineer.

Prove that.

Last edited:
Reactions: imlynxy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.