Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
I'm an Electrical Engineer.

Prove it.

I've already sent videos to Apple engineers.

If you had a phone that had loud white noise, a whine and static buzzing all over all the videos you shot, louder than anything else in the videos, would you find that normal and acceptable?

I'm almost convinced you're trolling. I can feel your eye rolling smugness from all the way over here.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Note 7 lagging? Not a problem on my end. Phone runs great and has a long battery life.

As for updates, it already has a bunch more fearures than stock Android so it's not like were missing much while Samsung pushes updates.

Go and listen to Marques Brownlee's review that he just released. Hear it from his own mouth regarding lag. That bad boy is not lag free. But who cares what I say, buy the phone you want.
Me personally I hate any device that has a hint of lag, the iPhone 7 Plus hasn't lagged one time in the days of using it. But with any Samsung device it will lag when you least expect it.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
People are confusing white noise with hissing on videos. The mic is more sensitive. A lot of what people think is hissing is white noise

Honestly to return a phone because if you play the back to your ear you sometimes hear a hiss that's ridiculous.

The noise recorded to video that people are taking issue with has nothing to do with mic sensitivity. It's electronic interference from the CPU or some other component, and it's a constant whine, not a hiss/white noise (they're the same thing to all intents and purposes, btw).

I work in digital audio, so I have some expertise when it comes to differentiating anomalous signals.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
I've already sent videos to Apple engineers.

If you had a phone that had loud white noise, a whine and static buzzing all over all the videos you shot, louder than anything else in the videos, would you find that normal and acceptable?

I'm almost convinced you're trolling. I can feel your eye rolling smugness from all the way over here.

Yeah, we are all going to believe you now.

If you sent the videos to Apple engineers you could let them resolve your problem then

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

If you sent the videos to Apple engineers you could let them resolve your problem then
You call someone a Samsung apologist yet here you fighting Apples corner over an issue lots of people are have a problem with, don't you see the irony?

Reactions: brianjsw01

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
People claiming their iPhones have problems because they hear "hissing" when recording movies.

Samsung shill YouTuber Erica something is exploiting this to damage Apple's brand.

That woman for hire is being paid by Samsung (notice on how she dismisses the low scratch resistance on the Note 7, while previously making a big deal out of it), Jerry Rig Everything does the same, its as if they are almost saying "sorry Galaxy for scratching you", but completely destroyed a Motorola phone for it.

The "hissing" while recording is 100% normal and all phones and all cameras with OPTICAL IMAGE STABILIZATION make it.

OIS works by moving the lens the other way of you hands movement, that movement will always make a soft "hissing sound" due to the coils (small motors) inside the camera assembly.

This is comparably true for the iPhone 7 series as they have large lenses with wide aperture, smaller lenses don't have the same mass and therefore won't make as much noise.

When recording in silence, the phone amplifies the gain of the microphone and the internal OIS mechanism sound is amplified.

Of course, every year they have to fabricate a couple of iPhone gates. Specially now that the main competitor have a grave problem with exploding.

However, if the camera is not being used, you should not hear any hissing obviously, if your phone makes hiss, it won't break, but if you can ear (direct, not recorded and amplified) noise at normal distance, in the silence, you should return it under warranty. That is not hiss, it's more high pitched. It sounds more like a a dentist rotary tool and less like water pouring. You can trigger not by using the camera, but for example, running a game while muted. In that case, it's called coil noise and it's very rare in mobile phones (as currents are normally low).
Thanks for the "debunking", but we need a fact check and a debunking of your comments. What trash put together here. iPhone hissing is a real issue customers are encountering it with and without camera use. It is a design flaw of iPhone 7 that can be rectified by and at Apple's expense.

HISSING IS NOT NORMAL ON DEVICES. IT IS NOT RELATED TO OPTICAL STABILIZATION.

CUSTOMERS: Return the device for a refund or exchange.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
For all the #hissgate deniers..

No one said that hissgate does not exist. What we are saying is that you need to return the phone and wait for Apple to fix the issue instead of swapping the phone out multiple times with the same problem.
I have the CPU noise but I don't listen to my phone 1 inch from my ear and I'm not some recording artist that needs a mic that records dead silence. Millions of people that bought the phone don't even realize that they have the noise because their not going on these forums looking for trouble.
Literally, what are you going to do if Apple can't fix this issue to your high quality standards? Once you find that perfect device do another recording and we will clap for your efforts. Get busy on it bro. Meanwhile I'll enjoy my phone.
[doublepost=1474976953][/doublepost]
Thanks for the "debunking", but we need a fact check and a debunking of your comments. What trash put together here. iPhone hissing is a real issue customers are encountering it with and without camera use. It is a design flaw of iPhone 7 that can be rectified by and at Apple's expense.

HISSING IS NOT NORMAL ON DEVICES. IT IS NOT RELATED TO OPTICAL STABILIZATION.

CUSTOMERS: Return the device for a refund or exchange.

At this stage people need to return it. Once you find a phone without CPU hiss your going to run into white noise issues during recording. Next your going to complain about scratches or yellow displays. There is no perfect phone at this stage so why waste your time? Wait a few months and pray that Apple has that perfect phone ready for you.
But you know what, people won't take that advice because their not perfect either. Their broken just like the phone and they can't accept it. Lol

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010

I'm waiting! Expecting a call back tomorrow from the senior advisor who's taking care of my case.

The noise on videos isn't only loud white noise, the static buzzing does sound like some sort of interference. I suspect the mic between the torch and the camera is picking up all the action from the components in that area.

But seriously dude, do you actually try to be as big a douche as possible, or does it come naturally? Take a step back and take a look at your smarmy, smug dismissive attitude. It's not good. A little self awareness would go a long way.

CraigGB

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
People claiming their iPhones have problems because they hear "hissing" when recording movies.

Samsung shill YouTuber Erica something is exploiting this to damage Apple's brand.

That woman for hire is being paid by Samsung (notice on how she dismisses the low scratch resistance on the Note 7, while previously making a big deal out of it), Jerry Rig Everything does the same, its as if they are almost saying "sorry Galaxy for scratching you", but completely destroyed a Motorola phone for it.

The "hissing" while recording is 100% normal and all phones and all cameras with OPTICAL IMAGE STABILIZATION make it.

OIS works by moving the lens the other way of you hands movement, that movement will always make a soft "hissing sound" due to the coils (small motors) inside the camera assembly.

This is comparably true for the iPhone 7 series as they have large lenses with wide aperture, smaller lenses don't have the same mass and therefore won't make as much noise.

When recording in silence, the phone amplifies the gain of the microphone and the internal OIS mechanism sound is amplified.

Of course, every year they have to fabricate a couple of iPhone gates. Specially now that the main competitor have a grave problem with exploding.

However, if the camera is not being used, you should not hear any hissing obviously, if your phone makes hiss, it won't break, but if you can ear (direct, not recorded and amplified) noise at normal distance, in the silence, you should return it under warranty. That is not hiss, it's more high pitched. It sounds more like a a dentist rotary tool and less like water pouring. You can trigger not by using the camera, but for example, running a game while muted. In that case, it's called coil noise and it's very rare in mobile phones (as currents are normally low).

You can't just make stuff up and throw information out that doesn't really relate to the issue and say you've debunked it, that's horrifically wrong. or if you think that's somehow correct and the noise everyone is reporting is OIS would you care to explain why the OIS is so much nosier when you are downloading stuff, when the phone is reading and writing to storage, when it's doing anything CPU intensive, why the sound comes from above the CPU and not the OIS system?, maybe I should replace my Lumia 950 XL that doesn't do it because apparently the OIS doesn't work, maybe I should replace my old Nexus 5 with terrible OIS which doesn't do it, obviously the S7 Edge I used doesn't have OIS because I couldn't hear anything from that, same for my 6S, I expect in theory it might make a tiny bit of noise but the noise a OIS system in a phone would make is going to be nowhere near the volume people are experiencing, none of the phones I mentioned have a high pitched whine, none of them show any noise in recordings other then normal white noise even though the Lumia and S7 captured much quieter sounds then my iPhone 7, this isn't a 41 page thread because of white noise. :p

this is some terrible misinformation, especially apparently coming from an "Electrical Engineer", you can't have listened to all the examples people have posted and thought "yup that's OIS". :|

Last edited:

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
You stop talking, if your dream is to fool people into Androids you should try a job at Walmart.

Androids?

Google launches the updates to Nexus, if you have anything else, you'll probably never get it.

Sorry but he is right. Androids do get security updates all the time, it's just the O/S updates that gives you features which take a while.
[doublepost=1474978709][/doublepost]
It is normal.

The 7 plus uses the two lenses at the same time, even if you use the telephoto lens, because it uses the wide angle to enhance the image of the telephoto Lens.
[doublepost=1474957022][/doublepost]

If you don't have anything to say, you should excuse yourself to make rude comments because you're not winning anything.

Any OIS obviously makes sound

Oh wow. Buzzing and Hissing and Popping is NOT normal. My 6s plus doesn't do it. Two lenses does not help do it either. It is a processor issue and Apple will have to find a way to resolve it.
[doublepost=1474978906][/doublepost]
Go and listen to Marques Brownlee's review that he just released. Hear it from his own mouth regarding lag. That bad boy is not lag free. But who cares what I say, buy the phone you want.
Me personally I hate any device that has a hint of lag, the iPhone 7 Plus hasn't lagged one time in the days of using it. But with any Samsung device it will lag when you least expect it.

All phones lag. Android just has a tendency to do it more often. My 7 plus while I had it the two days, did have lag as well on certain things.

And Marques Brownlee is a kid. You can't take his reviews serious.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Sorry but he is right. Androids do get security updates all the time, it's just the O/S updates that gives you features which take a while.

No, they don't.

Oh wow. Buzzing and Hissing and Popping is NOT normal. My 6s plus doesn't do it. Two lenses does not help do it either. It is a processor issue and Apple will have to find a way to resolve it.

You refuse to accept it, it's your right.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
or if you think that's somehow correct and the noise everyone is reporting is OIS would you care to explain why the OIS is so much nosier when you are downloading stuff, when the phone is reading and writing to storage, when it's doing anything CPU intensive, why the sound comes from above the CPU and not the OIS system?

Last paragraph I address coil whine.

this is some terrible misinformation, especially apparently coming from an "Electrical Engineer", you can't have listened to all the examples people have posted and thought "yup that's OIS". :|

Since you have no reason, you attack me personally. Proud?

CraigGB

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
That is microphone hiss...

I cannot believe this, it's like the people that vehemently believe in aliens and try to find any excuse to keep with their paranoia.

it sounds like a bird being murdered, microphone hiss/white noise does not sound anything like that, you can hear the microphone hiss in between the shrieking of the phone though, that's what normal mic hiss sounds like.

Last paragraph I address coil whine.

Since you have no reason, you attack me personally. Proud?

I know what coil whine sounds like, this issue sounds more like interference to me, it sounds exactly the same as when I ran audio cables too close to power/SATA cables in my PC and then when I used headphones it would sound exactly like what people are posting and the sound would mirror hard drive activity.

Heh I hardly attacked you, I'm just shocked that someone who claims to be a electrical engineer said what you said. :p

Last edited:

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
That is microphone hiss...

I cannot believe this, it's like the people that vehemently believe in aliens and try to find any excuse to keep with their paranoia.

Now I am CONVINCED you are trolling. That is most definitely NOT mic hiss. I've heard years worth of mic hiss. That ain't it. So chirping, clicking and popping is considered mic hiss now? I never got the memo.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
So I've noticed that if I hold my phone up to my ear and listen to the noises (mine sounds like an old dial up modem/Spectrum loading noise) and then turn the screen off it stops after a couple of seconds and is near silent. Press the sleep/wake button and activate the screen and it roars back into life.

DADDYDC650

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I OWN a Note 7 and so does my brother and his lady. No reports of lag. Is it as zippy as an iPhone 7? No. Then again, iPhone 7 isn't running at 1440p and has half the features of a Note. Perhaps that Youtuber had a defective Note 7? The new v2 Note 7's with the newest update is faster and more responsive.

Just took the time to check out that YouTube review. He said that the Note 7 was pretty much always on point performance wise. Every once in awhile he'd experience some lag for a few secs. Otherwise it's "a beast, super smooth and snappy". Those are Marquees words not mine.

On a serious note, I've maybe had that happen once in two weeks. It really is no big deal and could be attributed to a weak carrier signal or rogue app. Or perhaps his palm was hitting the edge of the display like he notated? Who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: imlynxy

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
speaking of all these replacements....I got an express replacement on its way to me..iPhone 7 Plus....are these express replacements still brand new phones at this point? or am I going to get some refurbished, hodge podge Mr. Potato Head type device?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.