Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I OWN a Note 7 and so does my brother and his lady. No reports of lag. Is it as zippy as an iPhone 7? No. Then again, iPhone 7 isn't running at 1440p and has half the features of a Note. Perhaps that Youtuber had a defective Note 7? The new v2 Note 7's with the newest update is faster and more responsive.

I had Note 7 and returned due to the fire situation. After so many years with iPhones I feel a bit uncomfortable with Samsung, but I must admit it was almost as fast as my buzzing/defective iPhone 7+. I tried Galaxy S6 before and didn't like it. Note 7 is a huge step forward.
I'm an Apple guy, but I like Note 7 the same way I can like flawless iPhone 7

Reactions: DADDYDC650

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
speaking of all these replacements....I got an express replacement on its way to me..iPhone 7 Plus....are these express replacements still brand new phones at this point? or am I going to get some refurbished, hodge podge Mr. Potato Head type device?

They're new phones in a plain white box, and nothing else.

alextripp

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Ok so got my 7 plus yesterday and definitely hear it when I hold the back of the phone up to my ear. Also hearing it on calls. Took a video and there is some staticy kind of noise but I wasn't sure if that was just white noise being picked up by the mic. Took another video and covered the mic and the noise is still there. Chatted with Apple this morning and have a Genius Bar appt this Friday.

Reactions: kuechi

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Sorry but he is right. Androids do get security updates all the time, it's just the O/S updates that gives you features which take a while.
[doublepost=1474978709][/doublepost]

Oh wow. Buzzing and Hissing and Popping is NOT normal. My 6s plus doesn't do it. Two lenses does not help do it either. It is a processor issue and Apple will have to find a way to resolve it.
[doublepost=1474978906][/doublepost]

All phones lag. Android just has a tendency to do it more often. My 7 plus while I had it the two days, did have lag as well on certain things.

And Marques Brownlee is a kid. You can't take his reviews serious.

Okay then, what phone would you recommend that is not a Samsung or Apple device?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Genius at apple won't know what to do. I think this is just something that the iPhone 7s will have. Probably the new CPU or quad processor.

It be interesting to find out exactly what is causing the noise.

Also what is the app that everyone is downloading or playing in order to throttle the noise.

Pod4477

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
No one said that hissgate does not exist. What we are saying is that you need to return the phone and wait for Apple to fix the issue instead of swapping the phone out multiple times with the same problem.
I have the CPU noise but I don't listen to my phone 1 inch from my ear and I'm not some recording artist that needs a mic that records dead silence. Millions of people that bought the phone don't even realize that they have the noise because their not going on these forums looking for trouble.
Literally, what are you going to do if Apple can't fix this issue to your high quality standards? Once you find that perfect device do another recording and we will clap for your efforts. Get busy on it bro. Meanwhile I'll enjoy my phone.
[doublepost=1474976953][/doublepost]

At this stage people need to return it. Once you find a phone without CPU hiss your going to run into white noise issues during recording. Next your going to complain about scratches or yellow displays. There is no perfect phone at this stage so why waste your time? Wait a few months and pray that Apple has that perfect phone ready for you.
But you know what, people won't take that advice because their not perfect either. Their broken just like the phone and they can't accept it. Lol

Well my 6S Plus had no hiss nor a yellow screen.

At0m1cPunk

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Not only do I hear the noise from placing my ear up to the back of the phone and on recorded videos, today I realized I am hiring it through my bluetooth headset while on a long work call. Its the same random buzzing static I hear from the back coming through the headset. This is unacceptable, I don't care what you call it, coil whine, processor power shifting, mic gain, blah, blah, blah....

Last edited:

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
So now you only hear something with your ear placed to back of the phone?
Right ... if I press the apple logo on the phone right up to my ear, I can still faintly hear it, but it is barely audible and I have excellent hearing.

The microphone in the video still has a slight hiss (same as the 6S+ did before), but not a clicking sound. My defective 7+ made a sound like it was recording video in a fishtank with a bubbler running.

I could be wrong, but I think this is the "as designed" level of hiss, and if you are going to try to get better than this, you will be disappointed with any phone.

Bottom line: I believe that some phones are defective, and some are not defective -- I have no idea if they are all good coming off the assembly line now, but my Week 38 is good, and my Week 37 was bad.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Week 38 phones have this issue. Some worse than others. The coil whine is normal but the interference with mic during video recording and bluetooth is unacceptable That needs to be addressed ASAP.

Reactions: brianjsw01

kingofkings11

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2016
My iPhone 7 plus was exhibiting static noises during video recording which was clearly audible. I experimented further and found that the static noise was always there even when just the screen was on and no apps were being run.

I initiated a replacement and just received my shipment tracking email with the IMEI of the replacement phone. It seems that my original phone was a Week 37 and the replacement is also a Week 37.

Awesome.

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Week 38 phones have this issue. Some worse than others. The coil whine is normal but the interference with mic during video recording and bluetooth is unacceptable That needs to be addressed ASAP.

Probably a fairly accurate assessment -- I think to some extent all phones will have the issue, its just a matter of how sensitive of a limit you want to set -- with the most sensitive microphone in the quietest room, ANY phone will have some sound.

As far as I am concerned -- the hiss being reduced to the same level as the 6S+ is acceptable.

I think there's a good chance that I was just lucky in getting a replacement without the issue so quickly, and that there are probably plenty of Week 38 phones out there which still have the problem, but I honestly don't know for sure. I suspect that now that apple knows about it, Week 39 or Week 40 will either be fully resolved for the issue, or it will be a random grab-bag for the entire lifecycle of the product.

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
My iPhone 7 plus was exhibiting static noises during video recording which was clearly audible. I experimented further and found that the static noise was always there even when just the screen was on and no apps were being run.

I initiated a replacement and just received my shipment tracking email with the IMEI of the replacement phone. It seems that my original phone was a Week 37 and the replacement is also a Week 37.

Awesome.
Give it a try anyway -- probably a 50/50 chance it's an improvement. I don't think all phones had the problem even in week 37.
[doublepost=1474988995][/doublepost]
Probably nothing an OS update won't fix.

Definitely not. Coil whine is a hardware issue. The only way software could reduce the issue is to keep the cpu permanently throttled to the lowest speed, which nobody would find acceptable.

Reactions: kingofkings11

CraigGB

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
you didn't address or debunk anything, you just dismissed everyone's thoughts and videos to this point, spouted a bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with the issue people are talking about and said everyone else was wrong, you then threw a strop when people disagree with you and tell them to shut up.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, didn't know I had to pay to read your posts but I'm glad I'm not paying you as an electric engineer based on some of the stuff you've said so far :)

LMAO this! So true i hope there is a fix or apple even bothers to do something.

it does seem there might be some good units out there, I assume like most iPhone launches Apple will quietly introduce fixes in phones built later and they will with this too if it's possible with this issue, it might just remain a lottery though, personally in my case after I spoke to Apple I've returned mine for now and might buy one again later if I see it fixed, I wasn't going to churn through replacements considering people haven't had much luck here and I don't want to stop other people getting phones with the limited supply when I don't think most people will care about the issue, in my case I was planning on keeping the phone for 3 years and I record a lot of video in big quiet rooms so it was a problem for me, in fact I first noticed it after I recorded some video in a big old house, went to play it back to the family on the TV and there it was, people were asking what the buzzing and noise was, someone said it sounded like aliens :p

Reactions: SBruv

kingofkings11

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2016
you didn't address or debunk anything, you just dismissed everyone's thoughts and videos to this point, spouted a bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with the issue people are talking about and said everyone else was wrong, you then threw a strop when people disagree with you and tell them to shut up.

Sounds like last nights debate :p

Reactions: eric3312

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Definitely not. Coil whine is a hardware issue. The only way software could reduce the issue is to keep the cpu permanently throttled to the lowest speed, which nobody would find acceptable.

Honestly, I sometimes hear it, sometimes I don't. I try not to keep my head busy with this, or else I won't rest until I have a replacement.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Well my 6S Plus had no hiss nor a yellow screen.

So why upgrade to a iPhone 7 if your 6S is flawless? Obviously something is not up to your high quality standards for you to replace a phone that just works in the first place.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012

Awesome.

1. Which color/storage size
2. Did you do the express replacement option with Apple
3. If so, how long did it take to get shipping information after you initiated the replacement?

kingofkings11

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2016
1. Which color/storage size
2. Did you do the express replacement option with Apple
3. If so, how long did it take to get shipping information after you initiated the replacement?

Black - 128GB
Express
Initiatied replacement on Sept 23rd and received shipping information today Sept 27th. Essentially two business days. (Half day 23rd, full day 26th and half day 27th)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.