Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
What are everyone's thoughts on the white noise while recording videos? I was considering exchanging my phone but it seems everyone has this issue.
I am exchanging. This is the only issue I have. I have seen some people getting one that doesn't have it.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
I am exchanging. This is the only issue I have. I have seen some people getting one that doesn't have it.

Your chance to get the good one is less than 10%. This is why i keep saying i would not waste time and energy for this. Just return it and wait up.

Reactions: imlynxy

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
No. almost all say they don't have the processor hissing but all the camera have louder white noise.
When the replacement gets here, if it has issues, I plan on sending the replacement back and keep my original phone.

reginaalear

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
I have the noise when I put my ear up to the logo but I don't plan to be doing that. The issue the bothers me is the white noise but I don't have any other issue besides that. I spoke to apple and they said it's a software issue not a hardware. The lady tried to say this was the first she has heard of it. I guess I will wait and see if they come out with a update. I would hate to take the chance of getting one with even more wrong with it.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
So glad I stuck with my Note 7. My first one didn't explode and my replacement runs better and with longer battery life. I also got 2 free Samsung 256GB EVO SD cards out of it. Hopefully Apple has better quality control with the iPhone 8 and it had better have OLED!

Note 7 is a good phone on paper but 2 days after preordering it I got so frustrated with my S7 lagging I just wanted to throw it against the window. So knowing that the Note 7 is just a S7 with S-Pen I canceled my preorder. Samsung sucks at updating their phones because the carriers (especially Verizon) have too much control and they delay updates. Another issue is that Samsung just can't update their phones in a timely matter. Let's see how long it takes Samsung to update their 2015 flagships to Android N.
The other issue is the Snapdragon processor. Samsungs home grown processors are so much better.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
It projects through when I am on the phone. Getting annoying. But if the replacement phone gets here and has other issues as well, it will be sent back.
Damn. Projects when on phone. You should film that with another phone. No one has produced video of the phone giving off sound without actually filming from their actual
Phone

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
You can hear it when I am on the phone. There have been people on here reporting that issue as well.

lilbukka

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Chicago
I've tried pushing my iPhone 7 through the limits. And I haven't heard anything. So I'm wondering if this is a batch issue. Haven't heard anything from apple thus far.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Note 7 is a good phone on paper but 2 days after preordering it I got so frustrated with my S7 lagging I just wanted to throw it against the window. So knowing that the Note 7 is just a S7 with S-Pen I canceled my preorder. Samsung sucks at updating their phones because the carriers (especially Verizon) have too much control and they delay updates. Another issue is that Samsung just can't update their phones in a timely matter. Let's see how long it takes Samsung to update their 2015 flagships to Android N.
The other issue is the Snapdragon processor. Samsungs home grown processors are so much better.

Not trying to support daddy since he is know to be an android person on these forums and pushes it very hard. But I will say I just returned my iPhone 7 plus and trying to get my hands on a note 7 once AT&T processes my return. I've had my s7 edge for a work phone since it came out and it's been fine. Rarely does it lag. At least it doesn't hiss and pop.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
This.... this is exactly why I wait for the S model.

Lol, this is the S model! I want to believe that Apple will surprise everyone by calling next years model the iPhone 8. It's time to retire the S designation.
I bought a iPhone 7 Plus but this has to be one of the most lackluster major updates I've spent money on. I don't see how Apple can throw us a iPhone 7S with the same design.

Reactions: LyricalMenace

At0m1cPunk

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
I have the noise when I put my ear up to the logo but I don't plan to be doing that. The issue the bothers me is the white noise but I don't have any other issue besides that. I spoke to apple and they said it's a software issue not a hardware. The lady tried to say this was the first she has heard of it. I guess I will wait and see if they come out with a update. I would hate to take the chance of getting one with even more wrong with it.
So, Apple said it was a software issue then said it's the first time they heard of it. Isn't that kind of contradictory?

brianjsw01

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
You can hear it when I am on the phone. There have been people on here reporting that issue as well.

Yep. Just got complaints again about the static noises being heard by the other caller. I was on speakerphone. She said"what's all that weird static noise" and then proceeded to imitate the exact stuttery choppy buzzing sounds I can hear when I put my ear to the back of the phone. Sure, I can only hear it if I put the phone to my ear, but the other side of the conversation hears it loud and clear. If Apple isn't able to fix the mic gain on speakerphone I will have to exchange it under warranty.

At0m1cPunk

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Yeah that's what I was thinking too.
Oh well. I have replacement coming. I can't hear the noise unless I place my ear to the back of the phone but the problem is that same static noise gets recorded in video. I'm not talking white noise. It is a static buzzing sound that comes and goes in no specific pattern. It's concerning because it's on the video and even more importantly, what is it. Is this some component that will fail down the road? We don't know. Every other Apple device including phones I place my ear against doesn't make the same sound.

brianjsw01

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Oh well. I have replacement coming. I can't hear the noise unless I place my ear to the back of the phone but the problem is that same static noise gets recorded in video. I'm not talking white noise. It is a static buzzing sound that comes and goes in no specific pattern. It's concerning because it's on the video and even more importantly, what is it. Is this some component that will fail down the road? We don't know. Every other Apple device including phones I place my ear against doesn't make the same sound.

It's a cheap capacitor is what some people are saying. It won't get worse and it won't get better. I think either Apple has to mask the problem by filtering it out from the microphone gain or replace the logic board.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Not trying to support daddy since he is know to be an android person on these forums and pushes it very hard. But I will say I just returned my iPhone 7 plus and trying to get my hands on a note 7 once AT&T processes my return. I've had my s7 edge for a work phone since it came out and it's been fine. Rarely does it lag. At least it doesn't hiss and pop.

You got to witness Samsung in action before passing judgement and I can speak from experience. I've owned the Galaxy S, Note 2, 3, 4, S6, S7 and the Note 10.1 and all of these devices have one thing in common, lack of timely updates or no updates at all. The most disappointing device has to be the Note 10.1. Samsung left that device out to die while they released tablet after tablet. You would figure that I learned my lesson 2 years ago but no, Samsung finds a way to bring you back with new tricks (Gear VR).
I've owned countless Android devices from 2010 to present and the only Android device I trust now is Nexus.
This is my second year using iPhones consistently and while my experience with iPhone 6 was horrible I came back to iPhone with the 6S and it's been great. Then I purchased an SE and it's been a tiny power house. And right now I'm holding a iPhone 7 Plus in hand with no regrets, CPU noise in all. I don't have an issue with it because I don't use my phones cocked to my ear while watching YouTube and my videos are no different than what I typically see. If it bothered me that much I would have returned it or waited until October 4th for Pixel. One thing is for certain, no Samsung device until they fix their nonexistent update policy. That actually goes for all Android OEM's. That S7 you have will be forgotten and pushed back to the end of the line when the S8 comes out, trust me on that.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Yep. Just got complaints again about the static noises being heard by the other caller. I was on speakerphone. She said"what's all that weird static noise" and then proceeded to imitate the exact stuttery choppy buzzing sounds I can hear when I put my ear to the back of the phone. Sure, I can only hear it if I put the phone to my ear, but the other side of the conversation hears it loud and clear. If Apple isn't able to fix the mic gain on speakerphone I will have to exchange it under warranty.
Hmm and you can only hear this when it is next to your ear. That's strange. Seems like your CPU would be more similar to stories of hearing noise further away.

Apple can probably fix what the mic picks up.

Reactions: brianjsw01

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
I received my replacement phone today. I had a week 37 and they gave me another week 37. Right out of the box I heard the noise when booting up. Setup as a new phone and downloaded Garage Band app to stress the system while taking a video. Could hear it loud and clear. Also can hear the sound when my ear is up to the front ear piece.

Chatting with Apple now.

So decided to send back the replacement phone they sent me and keep my original phone. Will go to Apple store later this week and return the phone within the 14 day return policy. Will try to reserve one the night before and try my luck there.

I was offered $150 towards any Apple Store product for my troubles.

Did Apple really send you a replacement phone while you still had the original on your possession?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.