Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Anyone ever notice its only when downloading big files from wifi the hissing comes and the phone gets hot. Games and other processor intensive tasks seem to be ok

Nope. I ran games like AG Drive and Asphalt 8 and there's a noticeable ticking and a faint borderline dial up/Spectrum loading sound noise from the back of the phone ... granted only heard when you put your ear to the back of the phone.

swv

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015
Anyone ever notice its only when downloading big files from wifi the hissing comes and the phone gets hot. Games and other processor intensive tasks seem to be ok
Jup. I noticed this with the Ookla Speedtest app.

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
surprise surprise, restore did not help

this is sooo annoying. Moved from samsung to apple because of their issues and now there are more flipping issues......

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I get a very very faint hissing on mine doing the speed test. However this is a non-issue for me really.

Edit: Just tried the speed test on my work 5c and that's hissing much louder. Also you aren't listening while it's charging are you? Did the first test on my 5c whilst it was charging and got the ticking/zx spectrum loader/modem noises. Unplugged and it changed to just the hiss.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I have called Apple three times now, and they are refusing to send me an express replacement. Even after speaking with a senior advisor and asking for it to be escalated to customer relations. Probably have spent a total of 90 mins on the phone.

The last senior advisor asked me to send her a video with the hissing noise which I did. Waiting to hear back.

Yet the guy I spoke to who escalated it to his manager on the phone couldn't have been more helpful and said it was an issue, they are aware of it, and it should be replaced.

Woefully inconsistent service. I spoke to people in the Ireland contact centre.
[doublepost=1474711372][/doublepost]
I get a very very faint hissing on mine doing the speed test. However this is a non-issue for me really.

Edit: Just tried the speed test on my work 5c and that's hissing much louder. Also you aren't listening while it's charging are you? Did the first test on my 5c whilst it was charging and got the ticking/zx spectrum loader/modem noises. Unplugged and it changed to just the hiss.

Noise for me are very faint, I have to stress that and for me it's not worth the hassle of getting a potentially louder phone at this stage. They also occur regardless of whether the phone is being charged or not.

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
2nd senior advisor said to exchange the phone. Now need to find a store with stock so I can get a replacement ;/

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
no stock of the ip7+ 128gb mb anywhere in London apparently. The guy said to give it back for a full refund and wait for stock to arrive ;/ question of the day, go back to samsung or stick with apple......

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Skimmed through about 5-6 pages of the thread and it seems only audible if you have the back of the phone placed to your ear if its say a reading distance way it should not be audible?

Based on the sound samples it sounds very similar to a coil whine on a computer PSU / GPU

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Skimmed through about 5-6 pages of the thread and it seems only audible if you have the back of the phone placed to your ear if its say a reading distance way it should not be audible?

Based on the sound samples it sounds very similar to a coil whine on a computer PSU / GPU

Not so, it's audible on HD voice calls and on 4K videos.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Word on the street, the noise in the back of the phone is pressure building up in the battery. The batteries are probably going to explode guys

Be careful out there

Woeful attempt at humour/sarcasm/whatever you want to try and pass it off as.
[doublepost=1474720070][/doublepost]
so is the issue being reported by (AT&T, T-Mobile=1 gen INTEL Modem) or (Sprint, Verizon=Qualcomm Modem) or ALL then a different issue?

I'm on O2 in the UK.
[doublepost=1474720179][/doublepost]

Coil whine would be acceptable if not for the fact I don't think the iPhone has components that feature enough coil to whine. On a large PC component like a GPU card then yeah, even my Xbox One had coil whine when the room is quiet, but just how much coil is present on iPhone components? Enough to make noise?

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
had another call with apple. Told me to restore the phone. Funny thing, when I plugged it in while on the call to them it started hissing really bad. Got another call scheduled in an hour to tell them if this fixed the issue or not
Put them on speaker phone and I bet they will hear it.

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
Agree that you can hear a similar noise on other phones and I wouldn't be bothered if it was just when holding the back of the phone against my ear but this can be heard easily at arms length and that level of noise or interference is not acceptable!

Last edited:

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Can everyone who's claiming their week 38 (or whatever) phone is 'perfectly silent' confirm that they're not only listening for acoustic noise from the back of the phone itself, but also the constant whine recorded to video?

Ie, shoot a video in a very quiet room, and play it a back through the phone speakers with the volume up a fair bit. I bet you get the whine.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Week 38 here. Sending mine back as this noise issue will hurt resale. I'm going back to my 6s plus. Till either I get a note 7, lg. V20 or wait for the next iPhone. At least I'm not stuck with this one.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Record 15/20 seconds in a totally silent room and play it back. If you've got the hissing you'll hear it during playback quite clearly.

in real life though, how often are your recording in a room completely silent? i have this issue, but i'm never re
Not so, it's audible on HD voice calls and on 4K videos.

on some people, doesn't interfere with my videos or calls

CraigGB

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010

Pretty much, I can't hear mine unless I press my ear right up to the back however problem is it's picked up if you record video or live photos with the rear microphone and I can hear it there, since this issue came to light lots of people have realised their old iPhone made noises as well and some have even said it was noticeable in recordings and some say it isn't. (personally I've experienced it on phones and laptops before)

My guess is if it's similar to coil whine then it's down to manufacturing variances and they all do it just in different amounts, if so it's total luck which you get, I'm hoping Apple tweak the gain on that rear microphone so in quiet situations so it doesn't pick it up in video as that is the only time it's a issue for me, I wouldn't mind that at all as currently I feel it becomes way too sensitive because if I record in the kitchen with no other sound it will make the slight hum from my fridge that I can hardly hear in real life really really noticeable in recordings as well as the ticks and buzzes from the phone., if I record in the same room as my nearly silent PC it picks that up too and makes it really loud, it seems to become super sensitive so if someone stops taking you get a lot of ambient noise suddenly from a fan in the room or a TV in the background and it becomes really sensitive until they talk again which sounds very unnatural.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
in real life though, how often are your recording in a room completely silent? i have this issue, but i'm never re

on some people, doesn't interfere with my videos or calls

Yes, some phones seem to be ok. Here's hoping Apple gets a grip on this quickly. I thought the 7 was hands-down a much better phone than the 6 in every way. I'd like to replace my two 6es but I'm not going to buy a phone that's got issues like this.

Reactions: Hogg

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Yes, some phones seem to be ok. Here's hoping Apple gets a grip on this quickly. I thought the 7 was hands-down a much better phone than the 6 in every way. I'd like to replace my two 6es but I'm not going to buy a phone that's got issues like this.

And turn the volume all the way up you are bound to get noise. That's how much gain works.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

I had no idea what this issue was until I followed the directions on this thread. I ran Speedtest with the back of the phone pressed right up against the back of my ear. Practically speaking, this is really a non-issue...unless you are a dog

Reactions: KimHansenDK

bluetak

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
Hong Kong, China
iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Black - Week 37

Got the hissing issue recorded on camera. I ordered it on Apple Online Store. Can I just walk-in to Apple Store in Hong Kong and ask for an exchange? (Preferring new unit... is it possible? or will I just get refurbish iPhone 7 Plus?)

Here are two videos showing my iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone SE. Both recorded in a regular city apartment nearby a busy street. Windows closed but outside noise leaked in + my pc fan is making some white noise...

iPhone 7 Plus

iPhone SE

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.