Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
  • Factory: F2L - China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn

• Year: 2016

• Week: 37 (12.09 - 18.09)

My black 128GB Plus has static sound in the back (near the apple logo) as well as significant static when playing back video (microphone issue?)
Week 36 from Factory: F2L Foxconn

My husband has the same problem on his black 256GB plus from
Week 37 at same factory.

Hmmm. the plot thickens!

Last edited:

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
  • Factory: F2L - China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn

• Year: 2016

Thanks. Interesting as mine is the same, so it is looking like some people in week 37 have the issue and others don't. Maybe a fix was deployed during that week then. Here's hoping

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
Thanks. Interesting as mine is the same, so it is looking like some people in week 37 have the issue and others don't. Maybe a fix was deployed during that week then. Here's hoping
Week 36 certainly has the issue (mine does anyway)
[doublepost=1474673465][/doublepost]Must be the microphone. When I play back videos that came over from my old phone, there is no static whatsoever.

n1fte

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
Cary, NC
So, I've figured out what the static sound actually is. It is the WiFi radio transmitter in the phone. Since I've received my new 7+ 256GB MB iPhone, the WiFi has not been stable. It will work for awhile and then stop. Ping tests reveal that I get 2ms-6000ms reply latency with about 25-50 percent packet loss. My wife's 6s is 2-100ms with no packet loss...same network. Doing a speed test causes the WiFi radio to hiss like crazy then settles down when the test completes. If I turn WiFi off and use a CPU intensive app, no hiss...WiFi on again, hiss.

The WiFi of this phone is not stable right out of the box. I reset everything to factory default and tested again without restoring and the long ping times and packet loss are the same! I will be returning this phone to Apple when replacement phones are available!!!

Reactions: netnative

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
So, I've figured out what the static sound actually is. It is the WiFi radio transmitter in the phone. Since I've received my new 7+ 256GB MB iPhone, the WiFi has not been stable. It will work for awhile and then stop. Ping tests reveal that I get 2ms-6000ms reply latency with about 25-50 percent packet loss. My wife's 6s is 2-100ms with no packet loss...same network. Doing a speed test causes the WiFi radio to hiss like crazy then settles down when the test completes. If I turn WiFi off and use a CPU intensive app, no hiss...WiFi on again, hiss.

The WiFi of this phone is not stable right out of the box. I reset everything to factory default and tested again without restoring and the long ping times and packet loss are the same! I will be returning this phone to Apple when replacement phones are available!!!

Interesting. What did you use to test latency and packet loss?

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Problem :
It is not wifi. Same noise on mine with wifi on or off.

kendo88

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry

You know, you might be on to something. I have a very clear audible hiss when you put the phone near your ear. If I pull up control centre and toggle off wifi and leave it a few seconds, the hiss dies right down, I can still hear a bit of a whine, but it definitely makes a big difference

n1fte

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
Cary, NC
Interesting. What did you use to test latency and packet loss?

Simple ping test with my Macbook Air on the same WiFi network as the phone. Being a radio technician who deals with RF on a daily basis, I can tell you I'm 99.999% sure it is the WiFi radio making this noise.
[doublepost=1474674609][/doublepost]
Problem :
It is not wifi. Same noise on mine with wifi on or off.

You may also be hearing the cell transmitter if WiFi is off...put your phone in airplane mode to test this theory.

Reactions: imlynxy

thedeebs

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
I have the problem also... 128GB Plus
  • General information
  • Factory: C39 - China
  • Week: 36 (05.09 - 11.09)

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Simple ping test with my Macbook Air on the same WiFi network as the phone. Being a radio technician who deals with RF on a daily basis, I can tell you I'm 99.999% sure it is the WiFi radio making this noise.

You may also be hearing the cell transmitter if WiFi is off...put your phone in airplane mode to test this theory.

I tried in airplane mode, ran Benchmark test and I had some noise, but much quieter than before

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Mine is a week 35. I called Apple yesterday to complain about the hiss during video recordings. Also when I first got home and I plugged it into my laptop to restore a backup, it chirped and hissed and buzzed quite loudly. But hasn't done that since. If I put it to my ear I can hear it though.

My dual camera lens already has a scratch in it too, despite the fact I treat it with kid gloves. Always goes in my front left pocket, no keys or coins kept in that pocket. Just the phone.

I asked for an express replacement sent to my house but they refused as the phone is so new (??). It's a huge pain in the ass to get to my city's one and only Apple Store, genius bar appointments are always booked out almost 2 weeks in advance. They suggested I go to an authorised repairer to get it checked out. Also inconvenient as I work long hours.

I just want a replacement phone and I don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get one.

I also went to the store where I bought it, my phone carrier's retail store. Even though the phone is only 7 days old, they said they would send it away for repair instead of replacing it. What a crock!

kendo88

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
I tried a video with the phone in airplane mode. The video still picks up quite a bit of noise, but it's definitely a lot quieter when you put the phone up to your ear. Toggling wifi/airplane mode definitely changes how audible it is, but don't think we can say it cures it conpletely

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Mine is a week 35. I called Apple yesterday to complain about the hiss during video recordings. Also when I first got home and I plugged it into my laptop to restore a backup, it chirped and hissed and buzzed quite loudly. But hasn't done that since. If I put it to my ear I can hear it though.

My dual camera lens already has a scratch in it too, despite the fact I treat it with kid gloves. Always goes in my front left pocket, no keys or coins kept in that pocket. Just the phone.

I asked for an express replacement sent to my house but they refused as the phone is so new (??). It's a huge pain in the ass to get to my city's one and only Apple Store, genius bar appointments are always booked out almost 2 weeks in advance. They suggested I go to an authorised repairer to get it checked out. Also inconvenient as I work long hours.

I just want a replacement phone and I don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get one.

I also went to the store where I bought it, my phone carrier's retail store. Even though the phone is only 7 days old, they said they would send it away for repair instead of replacing it. What a crock!
Maybe it came with a scratch. Shouldn't have happened so easily.

Also any with a jet back having these issues

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I tried a video with the phone in airplane mode. The video still picks up quite a bit of noise, but it's definitely a lot quieter when you put the phone up to your ear. Toggling wifi/airplane mode definitely changes how audible it is, but don't think we can say it cures it conpletely
Exactly the same result here

n1fte

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
Cary, NC
I tried in airplane mode, ran Benchmark test and I had some noise, but much quieter than before.

Excellent. I did notice there is some residual CPU "whine" present all the time. But the active hissing is most definitely the WiFi and cellular radios in the phone. The noise itself doesn't really bother me, but it sounds like there is some RF getting into the onboard microphones that screw with video recording and in my case, the WiFi radio in the phone is not reliable :-(

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Excellent. I did notice there is some residual CPU "whine" present all the time. But the active hissing is most definitely the WiFi and cellular radios in the phone. The noise itself doesn't really bother me, but it sounds like there is some RF getting into the onboard microphones that screw with video recording and in my case, the WiFi radio in the phone is not reliable :-(

Anyway we have the same solution= exchange/return.

P.S.
I think I spend too much time here and with my phone. I'm going out with my family and I live my iphone at home tonight.

:) Off the matrix hisssssssssssssss...........

Reactions: n1fte

NitromanseR

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
Georgia

Holy cow. Setting the phone to airplane mode virtually eliminates the sound for my iPhone 7 Silver 128GB Verizon.

EDIT: I get some hissing/static sounds when I stick my phone to my ear. However, I cannot hear it from any distance and I also do not get it on calls/videos.

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Apple has fulfilled my pre-order with an F2 / Week 38 but UPS is yet to deliver it.

Nice. We're in week 38 now. Yours was made in the last 4 days :) Hope it comes soon for ya....and hopefully it's noise free.

So it looks like there are some week 35/36 peeps who have the issue as well. And of course plenty of week 37's.

Guess the question should now be, who has a week 38 that has a rattlesnake living inside?

Last edited:

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
Nice. We're in week 38 now. Yours was made in the last 4 days :) Hope it comes soon for ya....and hopefully it's noise free.

So it looks like there are some week 35/36 peeps who have the issue as well. And of course plenty of week 37's.

Guess the question should now be, who has a week 38 that has a rattlesnake living inside?

Hopefully, not mine...

Reactions: Hogg

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
Holy cow. Setting the phone to airplane mode virtually eliminates the sound for my iPhone 7 Silver 128GB Verizon.

EDIT: I get some hissing/static sounds when I stick my phone to my ear. However, I cannot hear it from any distance and I also do not get it on calls/videos.

Same here. I can hear it when I put it up to my ear, but it doesn't pick up in videos! I'm leaning towards keeping the phone. I always have wifi and LTE, so as long as I get all that I'm not worried. What do you think?

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Same here. I can hear it when I put it up to my ear, but it doesn't pick up in videos! I'm leaning towards keeping the phone. I always have wifi and LTE, so as long as I get all that I'm not worried. What do you think?

I dunno Vic. I'd strongly suggest you exchange it. Now is the time, not 2 months from now when it's driving you crazy. You don't want to have to put it into Airplane mode all the time, just as a bandaid. That seems unrealistic, ya know.

Looks like we're getting to the source of the noise. WiFi or Cell.

Here's a crazy thought... What if this is related somehow to the altered antenna design. Hmmm. Just a thought ;)

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

I just did two videos on normal cell service, wifi is turned on. In the first video I just put my phone on my desk and snapped my fingers, and I could hear a bit of a hiss and a sort of surge in it when I snapped my fingers. Not good.

However, I then did a video where I was walking and then stopped and spoke/sang a little to test it, and from what I can tell it was pretty normal even when I'm holding the phone up to my ear - I couldn't hear any hiss or flare of white noise at all. I'm going to see when I get home as I'm in an office with some natural air-flow noise etc that might be obscuring it, but I'm wondering if this is something that only shows up with silence + sharp noises (like the guy snapping his fingers.) If that's the case then this honestly doesn't bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.