Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Same thing happened to me on my replacement. It may just be a universal hardware issue on all phone? Ive been trying to see if there are any 7plus owners who do not have that static or hissing with video recording. But maybe it is universal across the board.

Not sure its on ALL phones but it is on a large number of them. I had this issue and returned it as of now. I didn't want to opt for a replacement now because all replacements offered were built during the same weeks as all the ones with issues. If there is any hope, its best to place an order now and wait the 2-3 week time window in hopes something may have been addressed. I am not getting my hopes up but continuing to swap phones manufactured the same time as the ones people currently have just doesn't make much sense.

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
Not sure its on ALL phones but it is on a large number of them. I had this issue and returned it as of now. I didn't want to opt for a replacement now because all replacements offered were built during the same weeks as all the ones with issues. If there is any hope, its best to place an order now and wait the 2-3 week time window in hopes something may have been addressed. I am not getting my hopes up but continuing to swap phones manufactured the same time as the ones people currently have just doesn't make much sense.
I agree with you. I am very disappointed with my replacement still being affected.
I have decided to return everything tomorrow for a full refund. I assume they will pay off the loan for the iPhone Upgrade Programme with the bank?

Might try again in a couple of months. But for now, I'll stay with my iPhone 6s Plus.

_boyan

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
London, UK
I got an iphone 7 plus 128gb yesterday ... Since I was aware of this issue I was paying close attention while powering up the phone and whoala hissing and screeching sound was apparent immediately . Even when I only wake the phone up by lifting it up to look at the time I could hear some hissing. I think I would be able to put up with the noise but I recorded few 10-15 sec clips and that sound was caught by the mic and it can be clearly heard in video recordings. that is definitely a no from me. £820 for a phone that operates in this way is really disconcerting and I'm not willing to pay that price so I rang my mobile provider here in the UK and I'm sending the phone back. Another thing I noticed coming from iPhone 6s Plus is that iPhone 7 Plus sound comes across tiny comparing to iPhone 6s Plus. i thought it's meant to be improved but everything on the new iPhone7 felt kinda same-ish and definitely not wow in my opinion

I uploaded a video on YouTube with my iPhone 7 Plus and you can hear for yourself what's going on. First video I made with the phone I stupidly deleted but it had the best and loudest evidence of hissing.

Last edited:
Reactions: MathersMahmood

maxlind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
Iowa

Just finished my repair request and a new, replacement phone is being sent. Fingers crossed that the replacement I receive doesn't have the same problem.

Pod4477

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
I guess if we need to we could wait a week, and make sure they have one in stock before we do a full refund and buy the new one. Hopefully newer ones will be out with no issues. In theory we could do this multiple times over the course of months.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
My 7Plus is doing the same. This sounds exactly like the noises Intel CPUs make when they are switching between high performance and energy saving power states. I wonder if this is related to the A10 since they made major changes to it this cycle.

This.

I have no issue with that but it is interfering in my phone calls and videos.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
There are two fixes that stop the hissing

1- take rubber bands hat tightly sqeeze the phone together there stories about glue causing itso maybe
2- run the phone in low power mode

None are acceptable fixes and may not appply to all models hissing but worked for mine

facepalm.jpg~c200

Not another glue myth. Just stop with the glue nonsense. Stop!! FFS people!! It's bad enough the interwebs are rampant with FUD about glue being the cause of abnormally yellow screens. Now we have to listen to this nonsense about glue causing hissing or diginoise coming from within the phone. My phone makes high pitched diginoise type clicking if I put the back of the phone against my face. I can't hear it at all otherwise. It ain't glue...

Reactions: MathersMahmood

MG999

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Just finished my repair request and a new, replacement phone is being sent. Fingers crossed that the replacement I receive doesn't have the same problem.

Let us know how it turns out with the replacement if you dont mind.

Thank you

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
What's the deal with this? My iPhone 7 128GB has the noisy/ capictor coil issue when I put my ear to the back. Does a replacement handset solve it? Won't bother changing it if not. The new 7 feels cheaper the my 6S, but my 6S goes to its new home tomorrow.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Just picked up a matte black 128GB 7 Plus and yup, mine is hissing as well. Going to wait towards the end of the 14 day return window to return it and get another and hopefully get a unit without this problem.

Just shot some videos and yes you can hear the hissing recorded on video albeit very faint. Not to mention I'm in a very quiet room AND you have to have your ear next to the either speaker to actually hear the hissing.

Last edited:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Same thing happened to me on my replacement. It may just be a universal hardware issue on all phone? Ive been trying to see if there are any 7plus owners who do not have that static or hissing with video recording. But maybe it is universal across the board.

You guys are just wasting your time swapping devices out at random. But heck, if Apple allows you so be it. I'm willing to bet that some folks that don't have the "issue" don't even know what their looking for. There is so much confusion on this thread.

Reactions: Texas361

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
I just received my 7+/256GB/T-Mobile/Matte Black (intel baseband).

It clearly makes a hissing sound which is plainly audible in a quiet room when the phone is under high load (eg: restoring), and always audible if you hold the phone up to your ear. I am sure the microphone will pick it up if you are recording a video, but either way, it will be annoying to sleep next to a phone that is hissing.

I opened a support case with Apple, and they said they want to inspect my device. They are mailing me a replacement phone and asking me to send this one back to them.

Very surprising that apple could make such an obvious quality control mistake.

Reactions: imlynxy

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
What's the deal with this? My iPhone 7 128GB has the noisy/ capictor coil issue when I put my ear to the back. Does a replacement handset solve it? Won't bother changing it if not. The new 7 feels cheaper the my 6S, but my 6S goes to its new home tomorrow.

LOL! Note 7's are catching fire and some of those people won't stop using them until the replacement becomes available.

Reactions: AppleWes

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
This is getting really annoying. It should not be like that at all. Buzzing in video playback etc is just wrong. Very annoyed. But hopefully a replacement fixes it or a software update.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
I just received my 7+/256GB/T-Mobile/Matte Black (intel baseband).

It clearly makes a hissing sound which is plainly audible in a quiet room when the phone is under high load (eg: restoring), and always audible if you hold the phone up to your ear. I am sure the microphone will pick it up if you are recording a video, but either way, it will be annoying to sleep next to a phone that is hissing.

I opened a support case with Apple, and they said they want to inspect my device. They are mailing me a replacement phone and asking me to send this one back to them.

Very surprising that apple could make such an obvious quality control mistake.

I slept last night with the phone right next to me. (I sometimes fall asleep watching past episodes of favourite shows.)

No hiss.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
you mean you hear me loud and clear?!

seriously though it's an oversight by apple and i certainly wish you the best in resolving your issue.

My resolution for now was to return and wait.

Camera sounds like I shot video under the heavy rain. Now I know what they meant when they made it water proof :)

I like the phone so much. I really didn't want to return it and I want to get some comments and solution from Apple. If Apple gives us next batch without hissing I buy it again. I think Apple has all the power to change the situation.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Just got my 256gb matte black plus model and it has it as well. But honestly, I can't hear it unless I put my ear to the rear of the phone or near the rear of the phone. With it just sitting on my desk, I can't even hear it. I mean my ceiling fan which is quiet makes more noisy than the phone.

Seriously people, is it really that bad where you have to send it back? Actually when I put my Spigen case on it, now I can't even hear it.

Reactions: imlynxy

MG999

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Just got my 256gb matte black plus model and it has it as well. But honestly, I can't hear it unless I put my ear to the rear of the phone or near the rear of the phone. With it just sitting on my desk, I can't even hear it. I mean my ceiling fan which is quiet makes more noisy than the phone.

Seriously people, is it really that bad where you have to send it back? Actually when I put my Spigen case on it, now I can't even hear it.

Try recording a video on the phone and then play it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.