Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
It's probably going to be a while. I have to wait for the store to have one in stock. They couldn't express ship me one. I have an appointment for Saturday.

I talked to Apple this morning via chat and they offered to express one to me in three business days. I opted to go to my local Apple store and meet with a Genius! Hopefully they have some replacements in stock when i visit them tomorrow.

jamminj606

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
F2 here with noise. Asked about replacing it in Monday but they had no units to replace it with. Made an appointment for next Monday hope they have some then.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I talked to Apple this morning via chat and they offered to express one to me in three business days. I opted to go to my local Apple store and meet with a Genius! Hopefully they have some replacements in stock when i visit them tomorrow.

I did this Yday and got a replacement only to find it had the exact same issue. First phone was week 37 production and second phone was week 36 priduction. So for now, I am going to wait a week or two and then reattampt to go to the genius bar. Hopefully by then they will have stabilized the issue on replacement devices as well.

LegendaryAced

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Brighton, UK
I pucrchased my iPhone 7 Plus Gold 128GB from the Apple Store in Brighton, UK. Serial number starts with F2.

The hissing / ticking sounds are present when using the device. They are louder when there is something intensive running or scrolling the screen. Audio recording from voice memo doesn't record any static noise and it is crystal clear.

Video recording which uses the back camera has a constant noise in the background along with hissing / ticking. I have also noticed interference from the antenna when on 2G network.

Apple ordered a replacement device and I will exchange tomorrow. I really hope it isn't defective but I am losing my hope with what I read online.

MG999

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I pucrchased my iPhone 7 Plus Gold 128GB from the Apple Store in Brighton, UK. Serial number starts with F2.

The hissing / ticking sounds are present when using the device. They are louder when there is something intensive running or scrolling the screen. Audio recording from voice memo doesn't record any static noise and it is crystal clear.

Video recording which uses the back camera has a constant noise in the background along with hissing / ticking. I have also noticed interference from the antenna when on 2G network.

Apple ordered a replacement device and I will exchange tomorrow. I really hope it isn't defective but I am losing my hope with what I read online.

Let us know how the replacement device works out. Hopefully that wont have the issue. Thank you

GaryLiao

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
I would like to ascertain if there is a correlation between the various noise problems reported here and the factories at which the affected devices were manufactured. The first two letters or numbers in the serial number of an iPhone represent the factory. The serial number of my soon to be delivered iPhone 7 Plus begins with F2 which stands for the Foxconn factory at Zhengzhou.
My phone is an F2 Jet Black 7+

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Wow this seems to be a growing problem. I'm thinking this is due to the fact that the CPU is larger?

macbethfan

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2010
Twentynine Palms, CA
My 7 Plus 256Gb has C3 as the first two numbers of the serial.

At this point, I'm just going to wait a few weeks and see how this all gets settled with other people. The noise affects my video recording, but not phone calls yet.

No plans on returning it though since my spouse got my 6S Plus, which was a much needed upgrade over their 4S!

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
The problem has always existed. Ever since I read about it online, I listened to two iPhone 5's , 1 iPhone 5s, 1 iPhone 6 and 2 iPhone 6s's. They all make the noise if you listen closely enough.

It is particularly prominent on the iPhone 7 however and it is a major problem because the sound perpetuates to the back microphone during video recordings (which is CPU intensive). The other phones have this sound, but the mic on the back does not pick it up. This is the issue that I have with it, which is that videos recorded on the iPhone 7 and 7+ will have this noise

The only question remains is whether the problem can be fixed or not. If I were to guess, it can only be fixed if you get lucky and get a phone with a chip that was manufactured near perfection.

Reactions: SBruv

simps100

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Happening on mine too serial number starting F2 - 7 Plus 128gb.

Only have to have safari open and scroll on it to hear it - thing is if he problem is so widespread not sure if any point in reporting it yet?

Yummy_Brains

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2016
England, United Kingdom
Wow this seems to be a growing problem. I'm thinking this is due to the fact that the CPU is larger?
I'm wondering if it's related to the new Intel modem at all. I saw on one site that running a benchmark didn't produce the sound but playing a YouTube video did... be good to know as my 7 Plus arrives tomorrow. Hoping it's okay as I don't really want a trip to the Apple Store. Always costs me money ;)

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
I'm wondering if it's related to the new Intel modem at all. I saw on one site that running a benchmark didn't produce the sound but playing a YouTube video did... be good to know as my 7 Plus arrives tomorrow. Hoping it's okay as I don't really want a trip to the Apple Store. Always costs me money ;)
I wish it was related to the intel modem. I have an A1660 model (with the qualcomm chip) and it makes the sound

Yummy_Brains

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2016
England, United Kingdom
I wish it was related to the intel modem. I have an A1660 model (with the qualcomm chip) and it makes the sound
Thanks for the response, that's ruled that out then. Hmm, I hope Apple at the very least acknowledges this issue as it seems to effect enough people to warrant some sort of response from them.

Are you taking your phone back for replacement or seeing how it goes for now?

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
Thanks for the response, that's ruled that out then. Hmm, I hope Apple at the very least acknowledges this issue as it seems to effect enough people to warrant some sort of response from them.

Are you taking your phone back for replacement or seeing how it goes for now?

At this point, hoping for a replacement. I am almost 100% sure my replacement will have the sound. I am going to go my Apple Store and listen to the phones they have on display as well.

Yummy_Brains

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2016
England, United Kingdom
At this point, hoping for a replacement. I am almost 100% sure my replacement will have the sound. I am going to go my Apple Store and listen to the phones they have on display as well.
Good shout. Be interesting to know if it affects the display models. Good luck with your replacement, I hope it's defect free!
[doublepost=1474495209][/doublepost]
Like this?
Was that recorded with a mic with the gain turned all the way up though like Unbox Therapy's? Even then I had to have my volume higher than normal to really hear it.

I'm getting mine tomorrow, curious to see how load it is in person.

simps100

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Just spoke to apple support - guy told me the engineers were aware of reports and investigating and said information would be posted on their forums when they know more.

Wasn't offered a replacement but case is set to unresolved at the moment - that said not sure if I want a hassle of a replacement if it will just be the same anyway.

Reactions: jgelin and MG999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.