Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
7 plus 128GB on AT&T. I hear it as well. It's silent when phone is locked. As soon as I unlock it a hear a static-like noise that gets louder if I do something like swipe left/right. Def processor making a noise when its processing something.

Tom359

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Ok, I just did the test on my 6S+ and it does make a slight buzzing noise when scrolling, etc, but I would have NEVER noticed this until reading this forum and literally holding the phone to my ear.

Reactions: lyngo

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Ok, I just did the test on my 6S+ and it does make a slight buzzing noise when scrolling, etc, but I would have NEVER noticed this until reading this forum and literally holding the phone to my ear.
I think the point is that some/all iPhone 7s make this noise to a much more noticeable degree.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Noticed it on mine when I am on a phone call. Pretty annoying. At first I thought it was some static in the phone line but then I called other people and could hear it there as well. I wonder if we are limited in time to get a replacement.

Reactions: benz240

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Online Apple chat asked me to do a software restore on iTunes to see if it helps. That seems like it would be a waste of time as it likely is something electronic or mechanical. I made a Genius Bar appointment. Probably wont replace it but want to see if another device in same model has this issue.

I did not here this on a Verizon iPhone 7. Only my AT&T 7 Plus.

yashz

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
USA
I can hear the noise even when my phone that's in a case is lay flat on the desk which is how I usually use my phone. And I was just using a news app and an email app...and I never notice the noise before in any of my previous iPhones. I may just call apple support tomorrow to see what's going on.

Edited: mine is AT&T

Online chat sent me to phone support; the guy at phone support just said either bring it in to the store or mail in for repair. I've a genius appointment made Wednesday.

I definitely noticed the hissing noise without putting my phone up to my ear...

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Has anyone reported there iPhone 7 hissing yet on this forum ? Or is it just iPhone 7 plus units?

I have two 7 (regular) phones. One is silent. The other makes a small series of buzz and click noises under heavy load. I've been playing with it for a day and honestly have just about concluded that it's really a non-issue. I haven't been able to get it to do it while running the video camera or during a call.

Reactions: xsdeus

jamminj606

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
Went to an Apple Store first thing today and asked about this. They said I was the first to ask about it and they did some research on it for about 10 minutes. They concluded that it was real but they had no replacement units. Said I should wait for Apple to make an official statement.
During my wait I tested 3 other 7+ Floor units and found 1 that made no noise and 2 had the hiss. All were att models.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I returned my 7+ earlier today and was chatting with the genius processing my transaction about it. At first they played dumb but eventually acknowledged it was an issue. I assume Apple is doing their due diligence now on the matter in hopes of a fix. From what I gather, the extent of this noise various from device to device. I say if its tolerable to keep it for now. Mine could be heard during HD phone calls which made my decision easy on what to do with the phone. I am hesitant to get a replacement now because chances are these units were made during the same production weeks so more than likely will exhibit the same problem. I will take my chances one more time ordering online 2-3 week window to see if one of these have the same issues. If it does....well back to the 6S+ which I am currently content with until 2017. This does seem like it is gaining traction in the media so we will see if Apple has any responses in the coming days.

Reactions: mfldmike

iMacca44

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2012
I had figured this was pretty much a non issue because I remember hearing this previously on another iphone, same spot on the back but wasn't an issue unless I was listening to that spot (which I would never do).

But I've just installed Google Photos again and it is doing a full backup, when that is running I can hear it from the front of the phone as well without even sticking me ear right up against it...

EDIT: Just recorded some video and it's loud enough that the mic recorded it!

Last edited:

Joshuan

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2015
iMore is stating that the sound are perfectly normal and similar to every other previous device. Seems like reports have been largely exaggerated.

http://www.imore.com/no-hiss-buzz-not-unique-not-iphone-7-problem

"Since many people have now reported hearing the same sound from other devices across a wide range consumer electronics and brands, and hardware engineers around the internet have commented and tweeted explaining what the sound is and why it's not only normal but expected, it seems highly likely nothing out of the ordinary is going on. (I'd say "almost certainly", but I try not to mistake my writing for an engineering degree!)" -Rene Ritchie, iMore

GaryLiao

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
I just got my 7+, I can definitely hear it and it's not super quiet either. it's not loud enough to notice during normal use but it still sucks knowing that it's there. My previous 6+ didn't do this at all

azukre

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
I just got my 7+, I can definitely hear it and it's not super quiet either. it's not loud enough to notice during normal use but it still sucks knowing that it's there. My previous 6+ didn't do this at all

Better to return it, I heard it will be recorded when you use video recording. Have you test that?

Reactions: smacrumon

GaryLiao

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
So I've been using my phone for the past almost twelve hours. Jet Black 7+, the sound doesn't interfere with normal use, but it's the loudest when downloading apps and installing many at the same time. At those moments if you record a video or audio recording you will here the hissing noise given that the environment you're in is sufficiently quiet (<30dB ambient noise).

I hope we get an official statement regarding this soon.

Reactions: azukre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.