Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
This WireGuard feature mentioned here, I see SurfShark, Mullvad and PIA offer it. Do I have to do anything else to configure this or it just works for the end user? Am assuming this just means safer more complicated encryptions?

I know I made this thread like well over 2 years ago and I really only stuck with using free slow vpns from time to time.

am heavily considering getting SurfShark today. Has simple looking apps on Mac and iPhone and I think I’ll be happy.
I only know how Mullvad has implemented this on iOS, but you download a profile and import it in to the Wireguard app and it will add the VPN connection. Not sure if the other providers do it that way or have a setting in their app for the protocol. Mullvad's desktop app has the servers listed as -wireguard if you want to connect with that protocol.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
iVPN its the only VPN I have found that does not lie to customers and its been around since 2008. PIA has been linked to malware and Nord has been hacked and the company tried to cover it up. Trust is everything when picking a vpn.

EDIT: If you want to stay free the only two options I would use is Proton or the Tor browser. But honestly $100ish for years of service is well worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:

Airch

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2021
I’ve had Mullvad which is great but very restrictive, and Express, which does the job with a very nice UI.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
This is one case where you get what you pay for. If it's free, it could mean they use your data for at least for marketing reason.

I personally use PIA which is fast and reliable. I heard good things about NordVPN.
Every case is "you get what you pay for"... save for taxes. That being said, I recommend Windscribe VPN.

Reactions: HYPOD

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
People seem to hate them for some reason, but I have only good things to say about PIA VPN. It works on every device that I have, it's cheap and seems to be reliable.

I used Cloak (getcloak.com) for a while and the interface was great but they didn't have a Chrome app so I had to switch.

Reactions: SigEp265

vanillaspice

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2012
Its popularity is its biggest boon and bane but NordVPN works quite well, especially on the speed front. For services that outright reject it, I got Windscribe in a bundle deal and it also works well as a backup with a kill switch.

SkimPappa

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
I’ve had great success with Private Internet Access for many years. Phone, iPad, windows and Mac.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
IVPN they are the most trustworthy VPN I have come across actually trying to dissuade users from using a VPN and wasting money if not needed. They have an adblocker built in or you can change the DNS to adguard or NextDNS for better blocking.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
Mullvad.net, been using them for years. Can't praise them enough, works great. They have added functionality for blocking ads and trackers also. Pihole on home network and 1Blocker on Apple devices and Ublock on Firefox.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
Oh I didn’t know this! Is there something you have to enable?
In their app you have to enable it through Settings>Preferences. I have the latest version on both macOS and IOS and have the option. So as long as you have updated the Mullvad app then it should be available. They also have the option of using their DNS for both of these. For more info see here and here.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
As others have said, make sure to choose a VPN that does not log your activity. One of the points of having a VPN is that you want your connection history to be private.

I have an account with Strong VPN which works well for me. One of the driving factors in my choice is that the same account can be used on iOS or macOS, and you don't need to install any software on your device. You can simply define a VPN iKEv2 configuration in network settings and set up the connection credentials. Once that's done, connecting is as simple as clicking the VPN switch in iOS Settings, or selecting the VPN status in the macOS menu bar. The last thing I want to worry about is the security of "VPN apps". Better that the operating system can take care of that itself.

Reactions: lostom

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
As others have said, make sure to choose a VPN that does not log your activity. One of the points of having a VPN is that you want your connection history to be private.

I have an account with Strong VPN which works well for me. One of the driving factors in my choice is that the same account can be used on iOS or macOS, and you don't need to install any software on your device. You can simply define a VPN iKEv2 configuration in network settings and set up the connection credentials. Once that's done, connecting is as simple as clicking the VPN switch in iOS Settings, or selecting the VPN status in the macOS menu bar. The last thing I want to worry about is the security of "VPN apps". Better that the operating system can take care of that itself.
Its also the easiest protocol to block though Wireguard over port 53 has been reliable for me using the official Wireguard app. You can also use the official OpenVPN app and go over port 443 with TCP for 99% of networks. Hopefully Apple adopts Wireguard natively like Linux did insanely reliable and efficient compared to OpenVPN on mobile.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Got an email from Proton VPN -- WireGuard (beta) is now available.
76faa353f27a1b955b4d597adf4529b2.jpg

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Mullvad.net, been using them for years. Can't praise them enough, works great. They have added functionality for blocking ads and trackers also. Pihole on home network and 1Blocker on Apple devices and Ublock on Firefox.

Since January of this year Mullvad's own macOS app has been blocking iCloud syncing services, so that's things like Safari bookmarks and a number of other features.

They are aware of the problem and it's on their to-do list, but 8 months later it's still not done.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
I have used VPN.ac since 2016. Pretty happy with them and they have continued to renew my plan at the $40.60 per year promo they offered when I signed up and the regular price is still $58 a year, they haven’t hiked it. Customer service has been good when I needed it and their dedicated servers have been rock solid and fast. They added WireGuard servers and their apps for iOS and Windows are pretty good. You can have 6 OpenVPN and 6 WireGuard connections simultaneously. When I signed up it was 4 or 5 connections.

Reactions: weird_method
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.