Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
Since January of this year Mullvad's own macOS app has been blocking iCloud syncing services, so that's things like Safari bookmarks and a number of other features.

They are aware of the problem and it's on their to-do list, but 8 months later it's still not done.

I don´t really use iCloud so have not noticed this. But thanks for bringing attention to this!

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
IVPN they are the most trustworthy VPN I have come across actually trying to dissuade users from using a VPN and wasting money if not needed. They have an adblocker built in or you can change the DNS to adguard or NextDNS for better blocking.
I've been rethinking Surfshark, whose transparency about audits and company ownership is lacking, according to NYT's Wirecutter, in favor of IVPN, the current Wirecutter top pick. I read through IVPN's site and am pretty impressed. The price seems reasonable too. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with Surfshark's VPN service, but not being forthcoming about some of its operational details when other VPNs are is a bit off-putting. Is it enough reason to switch? I'm not sure yet.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I've been rethinking Surfshark, whose transparency about audits and company ownership is lacking, according to NYT's Wirecutter, in favor of IVPN, the current Wirecutter top pick. I read through IVPN's site and am pretty impressed. The price seems reasonable too. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with Surfshark's VPN service, but not being forthcoming about some of its operational details when other VPNs are is a bit off-putting. Is it enough reason to switch? I'm not sure yet.

One of reasons to choose one VPN service over another is trust. You can’t perform audits yourself so you have to have faith in what your provider is telling you and part of that is being open and transparent. Sometimes stuff does hit the fan, just look at what happened with NordVPN.

You have legitimate doubts. I recommend a switch.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
One of reasons to choose one VPN service over another is trust. You can’t perform audits yourself so you have to have faith in what your provider is telling you and part of that is being open and transparent. You have legitimate doubts. I recommend a switch.
One of reasons to choose one VPN service over another is trust. You can’t perform audits yourself so you have to have faith in what your provider is telling you and part of that is being open and transparent. You have legitimate doubts. I recommend a switch.
Yes, totally agree it's about trust, and I appreciate your encouragement to switch. I'm going to mull it over for a couple of days. I got wowed by a two-year 80% off deal with Surfshark, but trust is worth paying more for.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Here is SurfShark's 2021 Audit. According to the CEO of SS, all dings cited in the report have been corrected.

Thank you as always @Apple_Robert; you are most kind to post the audit report, and I'm sorry to say I misunderstood what the NYT was saying about Surfshark. Its misgivings about SS weren't because of a missing third-party audit; it was because it was not public about its ownership or leadership--the same fault with ExpressVPN. This detail may not be important enough to switch, but it makes me wonder why these companies would withhold these details.

"We dismissed ExpressVPN and Surfshark for not being public about their ownership or leadership. “Would you put your money in a bank where you don’t know what laws govern it or who owns it or who manages it?” asked security researcher Kenn White. “Would you go to a financial adviser using a fake identity?”

(https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-vpn-service/#the-competition)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thank you as always @Apple_Robert; you are most kind to post the audit report, and I'm sorry to say I misunderstood what the NYT was saying about Surfshark. Its misgivings about SS weren't because of a missing third-party audit; it was because it was not public about its ownership or leadership--the same fault with ExpressVPN. This detail may not be important enough to switch, but it makes me wonder why these companies would withhold these details.

"We dismissed ExpressVPN and Surfshark for not being public about their ownership or leadership. “Would you put your money in a bank where you don’t know what laws govern it or who owns it or who manages it?” asked security researcher Kenn White. “Would you go to a financial adviser using a fake identity?”

Valid concern. Express VPN is located in supposedly based in the same area as SS. The CEO of SurfShark is Vytautas Kaziukonis. That is all the intel I have at the moment.

Reactions: 0128672

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
it was because it was not public about its ownership or leadership--the same fault with ExpressVPN. This detail may not be important enough to switch, but it makes me wonder why these companies would withhold these details.

Not sure. Possibly to protect from bad actors on the world stage? There’s a lot of evil leaders out there who aren’t fans of VPN’s.

Woodstockie

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2015
NY
Head on to StackSocial, usually they have inexpensive lifetime VPN options.

I’ve bought a lifetime KeepSolid from them for ~30$ (5 devices, 99 years), and it has been a quite good four years and counting now.
Did the same with KeepSolid/VPNUnlimited. Also have NordVPN as they are recommended by many, but I have very slow speeds with them, will probably not renew and try out ones that are mentioned here.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Did the same with KeepSolid/VPNUnlimited. Also have NordVPN as they are recommended by many, but I have very slow speeds with them, will probably not renew and try out ones that are mentioned here.
NordVPN has been caught up in a few debacles now. Not one that I would choose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodstockie

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
idk what the OP settled on, but as far as I am concerned there are only 2 VPNs i would trust and that is:
ProtonVPN
and Mullvad

of the 2 I prefer ProtonVPN but you can check Mullvad and see which one you like best. When using Proton make sure you have WireGuard and VPN Accelerator turned ON.

I heard iVPN has a good reputation but I didn't double check on that.

One thing to note, VPN main useful feature is that it shield your internet usage from your ISP or from a public Wifi network like Hotels or Work. It doesn't do much more.

Some people think if they use a VPN they are invisible on the internet and that is not true. If you login to Google account while you use a VPN they still know its you, in fact there are many ways they can identifiy you like cookies and browser fingerprinting. Rabbit hole goes deep.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
One thing to note, VPN main useful feature is that it shield your internet usage from your ISP or from a public Wifi network like Hotels or Work. It doesn't do much more.

Some people think if they use a VPN they are invisible on the internet and that is not true. If you login to Google account while you use a VPN they still know its you, in fact there are many ways they can identifiy you like cookies and browser fingerprinting. Rabbit hole goes deep.
I agree that there's a lot of misunderstanding about what VPNs can and can't do, and to be wary of any VPN that advertises it provides "complete anonymity." I found this Wirecutter article to be a straightforward explanation:

What I didn't know was that some ISPs are throttling VPN connections.

Woodstockie

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2015
NY
NordVPN has been caught up in a few debacles now. Not one that I would choose.
Thanks for the heads up. Have been using them for several years and renewed for 2 years earlier this year, but have not been using them much due to the slow speeds, so will stay away for now. Don’t think I can get my money back, but at least I have disabled auto renew.

Keepsolid has been serving me well with their speeds and servers, but sometimes have trouble with auto connecting on my iPad.

At the moment PIA has a better deal on their website than Stacksocial.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Thanks for the heads up. Have been using them for several years and renewed for 2 years earlier this year, but have not been using them much due to the slow speeds, so will stay away for now. Don’t think I can get my money back, but at least I have disabled auto renew.

Keepsolid has been serving me well with their speeds and servers, but sometimes have trouble with auto connecting on my iPad.

Notwithstanding my earlier grumble about Mullvad's macOS app I have always found their speeds to be exemplary. I don't have a gigabit connection, but have always got maximum throughput on my 30Mb and 100Mb. I have a strong suspicion it's because they have a very sustainable business model. They charge a flat 5 euros a month, they never provide discounts for longer subs or special deals. This probably means that they can make a proper investment into servers, which other providers cannot. Couple that with a great deal of trust I have in them and their transparency makes Mullvad my VPN of choice.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America

Another thing to keep in mind with low cost providers (especially with a lot of server locations) is if they are running on a VPS or a dedicated server. Winscribe's recent hack was because they were running on a VPS and they had even rented that out to a few other providers such as ExpressVPN compromising some of their customers as well. IVPN, Mullvad and Proton are the only three I have come across that go on the record saying they only use dedicated hardware.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America

PIA has some shady dealings with Malware as well if you don't trust Nord I wouldn't trust PIA either.

markchen

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2020
I use ExpressVPN. Excellent privacy features. You can use SecurityNow to get two month free. I will never use any free or cheap VPN, because they need to make money somehow.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
I agree that there's a lot of misunderstanding about what VPNs can and can't do, and to be wary of any VPN that advertises it provides "complete anonymity." I found this Wirecutter article to be a straightforward explanation:

What I didn't know was that some ISPs are throttling VPN connections.

You can get around the throttling if you have a VPN that uses OpenVPN XOR on TCP 443 like mine does.

Actually TCP 443 is overkill for most since XOR obfuscates the traffic anyway but you can’t really throttle TCP 443 without breaking the net.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Notwithstanding my earlier grumble about Mullvad's macOS app I have always found their speeds to be exemplary. I don't have a gigabit connection, but have always got maximum throughput on my 30Mb and 100Mb. I have a strong suspicion it's because they have a very sustainable business model. They charge a flat 5 euros a month, they never provide discounts for longer subs or special deals. This probably means that they can make a proper investment into servers, which other providers cannot. Couple that with a great deal of trust I have in them and their transparency makes Mullvad my VPN of choice.

I think the speeds you see on Mullvad is because they use Wireguard protocol which is faster. I would be interested to see your results with ProtonVPN with Wireguard and VPNAccelerator turned on, is it similar or not.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
I think the speeds you see on Mullvad is because they use Wireguard protocol which is faster. I would be interested to see your results with ProtonVPN with Wireguard and VPNAccelerator turned on, is it similar or not.
My speeds are quite good with Mullvad regardless of protocol. I pay for 500/500 to my ISP.

Wireguard
Screenshot 2021-08-14 at 15.16.46.png

OpenVPN
Screenshot 2021-08-14 at 15.18.43.png

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2021
Poland
Mullvad is fantastic. No predatory pricing, wireguard support with easily accessible conf files, simple signup and transparent owners put it ahead of other recommendations for me. Thanks to people suggesting it, I haven't heard about it before.

Last edited:
Reactions: iterva
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.