Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
My speeds are quite good with Mullvad regardless of protocol. I pay for 500/500 to my ISP.

Wireguard
View attachment 1818583

OpenVPN
View attachment 1818584

not bad but seems there is about 100Mbps hit with OpenVPN. I am guessing you are using a close by server.

EDIT: Just noticed your location is in Sweden, thats where the Mullvad HQ is ?? obviously you will get the best of speeds. That doesn't mean reaching a further server say like USA is going to be any worse

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
not bad but seems there is about 100Mbps hit with OpenVPN. I am guessing you are using a close by server.

EDIT: Just noticed your location is in Sweden, thats where the Mullvad HQ is ?? obviously you will get the best of speeds. That doesn't mean reaching a further server say like USA is going to be any worse
Server was in the same country yes. But i guess if one considers 5-600 miles close or not is up for discussion. ?

True. Mullvad gives really good speeds overall in my experience at least. Just connected to a server i NY with WG just to give it a try.
Screenshot 2021-08-15 at 15.58.26.png

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Server was in the same country yes. But i guess if one considers 5-600 miles close or not is up for discussion. ?

True. Mullvad gives really good speeds overall in my experience at least. Just connected to a server i NY with WG just to give it a try.
View attachment 1818968
nice, I might consider them in the future

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
I have used TorGuard for the last 5 years or so and have been very happy with it. No affiliation with them. Just a happy customer.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I have used TorGuard for the last 5 years or so and have been very happy with it. No affiliation with them. Just a happy customer.
TorGuard was wrapped up in the NordVPN breach and there are some questions over them not disclosing it until approached by the media.

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
TorGuard was wrapped up in the NordVPN breach and there are some questions over them not disclosing it until approached by the media.
I saw that in the video that Maflynn in an earlier forum post and honestly I hadn’t even heard of that. Thanks for the info though.

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2015
Hello all,

I’m looking for a VPN to install to my new MBP. I feel like every other YouTube video has an influencer recommend another VPN service and I don’t know which to trust.

Obviously one that is fast and reliable are preferred. Free would be spectacular.
I have had protonvpn for 3 or 4 years and protonmail it is not free but very reliable on my imac and mbp I dont use it on my iphone .....they dont play well-- it is not free- the only time there is an issue it is on timmy cook every time he tries to futher protect his kingdom there is a two or three day proton jump through there butts to adapt...but c/s is responsive and timely ...however I DO NOT DEBUG THEIR PRODUCT FOR THEM AS THEY WOULD PREFER..

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
As many clamour to make their systems more secure, some add VPN to their arsenol. Which VPN service are you using and why? Which devices of yours take advantage of VPN. Why individual VPN for each device. vs VPN on the router? Thoughts?

I'm giving a quick investigation myself and was curious. My take is obviously good speed, ability to do split VPN and of course access to various end points.

Typical to the fold - Express VPN, NordVPN, SurfShark VPN ... etc.

guitagain

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
I bought a lifetime subscription to Celo VPN several years ago. Then I subscribed to IPVanish for around 75 a year for a couple years because I liked the interface better with it than Celo. About a year ago I bought a. lifetime subscription to Ivacy. I recently quit using IPVanish and am now using Celo on my MacBook because it works great on it. But the Ivy works better on my iPhone. I don't use it on the router because I have a Ubiquiti Unifi USG for a router and it's not a plug and play install and I just never really took the time to try to learn to install it.

Reactions: phrehdd

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
As many clamour to make their systems more secure, some add VPN to their arsenol. Which VPN service are you using and why? Which devices of yours take advantage of VPN. Why individual VPN for each device. vs VPN on the router? Thoughts?

I'm giving a quick investigation myself and was curious. My take is obviously good speed, ability to do split VPN and of course access to various end points.

Typical to the fold - Express VPN, NordVPN, SurfShark VPN ... etc.
You might find some useful info in this recent thread about VPNs:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm not using one at the moment, but I gave up using Surfshark because of its lack of transparency and other issues mentioned in the detailed review by Wirecutter. Next time I subscribe to one it will be open-source iVPN (https://www.ivpn.net/).

Reactions: samwa3 and phrehdd

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I was considering Express VPN and also SurfShark and Nord. M1 Mini, Samsung S10+, iPad Pro 2020, Nvidia Shield TV streamer and an Asus W6 router. All candidate for VPN.

lostom

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010
I use Surfshark, into my 3 year now, I'm happy with it, fast, unlimited clients across all platforms, ad blocking, well priced.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I use NordVPN they are supposed to be good for security. However I change every 2 years because the VPN companies like to stick their prices up, in the belief that once you start subscribing you shall continue without questioning the price. The other companies tend to have good offers to join them for 1,2 or 3 years :)
Another reason I change is because it is also safer. There are some good companies out there.

Reactions: ckuttner

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
I'm not super price sensitive so I use Mullvad for my VPN needs. I hate deceptive marketing and there's a ton of it from VPN companies. At least with Mullvad most claims are reasonable. And my whole setup depends on Wireguard and IPv6 availability.

I also used IVPN in the past and would also recommend them.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
And another reason to avoid ExpressVPN:

It makes me wonder how many MR members use ExpressVPN and haven't seen this news. Is it worth a separate thread?

Reactions: KaliYoni

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
It makes me wonder how many MR members use ExpressVPN and haven't seen this news. Is it worth a separate thread?
Actually, it would be good if MR staff picked up the story, no? As you say, this situation probably affects a lot of MR users and, in addition, is more important for the community than the latest hype about actors on an Apple TV+ show.

Reactions: 0128672

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Actually, it would be good if MR staff picked up the story, no? As you say, this situation probably affects a lot of MR users and, in addition, is more important for the community than the latest hype about actors on an Apple TV+ show.
OK I used the report button to make this a story suggestion (versus doing the other have a tip method).

• Love
Reactions: KaliYoni

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Turns out that the parent company of Express VPN also owns Ghost VPN (or whatever its name is). There is a bit of inverse serendipity in the VPN world. Some know that Nord ran into an issue at one of its leased sites where data was exposed. Since then, they not only took care of the problem but strengthen beyond "satisfactory" against this type of breach and opened itself up to a later audit. In short, chances are Nord is more secure in certain ways than some of its competitors. As for ExpressVPN, the information about its new owner and the individual(s) associated with hacking may too end up for PR and goodwill working harder to make ExpressVPN safer and a more hardened system in order to counter all the bad press. In short, due to both Nord and Express getting identified with serious mishaps, it forced them to take steps to assure their customer base and hopefully new subscribers that their products are likely to be solid with respect to security and company handling. If you are still wary of either, then also be wary of Ghost VPN as well.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
In short, chances are Nord is more secure in certain ways than some of its competitors. As for ExpressVPN, the information about its new owner and the individual(s) associated with hacking may too end up for PR and goodwill working harder to make ExpressVPN safer and a more hardened system in order to counter all the bad press
Yes, sometimes a crisis can make a company a better company. I think it depends on senior management and their overall strategy for the company. Some interesting examples of good or bad responses: Tylenol/Johnson & Johnson, salmonella, E.coli/Chipotle, 737 MAX/Boeing, airbags/Takata, Juul.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.