Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yes, my latest iPhone X that I sold was perfect. Screen was neutral white and uniform with no hint of pink hue or tint anywhere. Not yellowish when viewing head on, and just minor blue shift at an angle. This is how they should all be. My Samsung S9 is the same but even better viewing angle before slight blue shift. Perfect on the 1st try and no ridiculous lottery.

"Serviceable" isn't acceptable for a $1000 device, imo. Especially when other phone makers with OLED screens can get things perfect on the 1st try, for cheaper. But yeah, you've been going through this lottery since launch and know how much worse these screens can be. At least September is not too far away and you can sell it, and hope to get a perfect next-gen iPhone at that point.

I wanted to just sell the X while I could still get a respectable amount for it, considering the upcoming phones are rumored to be cheaper. I had been using Android anyway as my daily driver, so a $1000 paper weight made no sense. Very happy with S9 and iPhone 8 RED combo. I'll keep the 8 for several years, perfect screen and last "classic" iPhone that will be made.

Really does make me wonder if Samsung gave Apple binned parts from generations ago, but it’s Apple’s software tweaks and calibration that made it display of the year?

In other words if they had top notch panels and apple software, it would be truly
Other worldly not just the best by some
Margin

Panel lottery would be in effect regardlesss but

Also I’d be fairly set with this display and thought I was but a few weeks later I know all it’s characteristics.

Compared to ugly ones I saw including the half obviously rent tinted top one that was a panel replacement for my previous unit that they botched the repair screws on, it’s ok. I’ve just also seen and owned a truly as far as I could tell perfect panel out of more than I care to admit having seen, so that’s what makes it tough. But I also got it as a contract phone as a last effort and if it sucked I was gonna abandon X all together out of frustration. Part of
Me wants to try a panel replacement but I doubt the tech would see my issue and I would get a repair and then it would be worse and I would be truly stuck with it or abandoning it or it would be restored to a non jailbreakable version/ swapped for a non jb unit. I’ve thought this through already haha

...Not having a perfect 7+ display but one that was good enough for $900 the year before, hurt. But I didn’t wanna go down that path either. Shattered the screen right before x launch and the replacement screen is better! Haha

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Really does make me wonder if Samsung gave Apple binned parts from generations ago, but it’s Apple’s software tweaks and calibration that made it display of the year?

In other words if they had top notch panels and apple software, it would be truly
Margin

Also I’d be fairly set with this display and thought I was but a few weeks later I know all it’s characteristics.

Compared to ugly ones I saw including the half obviously rent tinted top one that was a panel replacement for my previous unit that they botched the repair screws on, it’s ok. I’ve just also seen and owned a truly as far as I could tell perfect panel out of more than I care to admit having seen, so that’s what makes it tough. But I also got it as a contract phone as a last effort and if it sucked I was gonna abandon X all together out of frustration. Part of
Me wants to try a panel replacement but I doubt the tech would see my issue and I would get a repair and then it would be worse and I would be truly stuck with it or abandoning it or it would be restored to a non jailbreakable version/ swapped for a non jb unit. I’ve thought this through already haha

...Not having a perfect 7+ display but one that was good enough for $900 the year before, hurt. But I didn’t wanna go down that path either. Shattered the screen right before x launch and the replacement screen is better! Haha
I have no factual basis here obviously, but can't believe Samsung would sell Apple its top / latest and greatest displays. Especially since iPhone X is the S9 competition. I believe Apple has worked some serious magic to calibrate the displays properly / make them look so good. Black crush for example, is almost non-existent on the X but is slightly present on the S9. Can be fixed using an app though, so not a problem.

I'd say just live with your latest, it isn't worth the frustration. Looks like you're out of the return window, as you said a panel swap won't guarantee anything. Try and live with it and enjoy as best you can :/

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I have no factual basis here obviously, but can't believe Samsung would sell Apple its top / latest and greatest displays. Especially since iPhone X is the S9 competition. I believe Apple has worked some serious magic to calibrate the displays properly / make them look so good. Black crush for example, is almost non-existent on the X but is slightly present on the S9. Can be fixed using an app though, so not a problem.

I'd say just live with your latest, it isn't worth the frustration. Looks like you're out of the return window, as you said a panel swap won't guarantee anything. Try and live with it and enjoy as best you can :/

The most unacceptable panels are the ones that not just have blue shift but truly look horrid if off axis from straight on by like a degree. The ones that essentially have TN-lcd like viewing angles (think iPhone 2G-3GS) and this super holographic like filter not just a tint

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
The most unacceptable panels are the ones that not just have blue shift but truly look horrid if off axis from straight on by like a degree. The ones that essentially have TN-lcd like viewing angles (think iPhone 2G-3GS) and this super holographic like filter not just a tint
Right, I saw a few iPhone X that did the "rainbow shift." If you just slightly tilt the phone there's a rapid shift to pink or even yellow and then blue. Really hard to explain. Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but it was horrible.

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Right, I saw a few iPhone X that did the "rainbow shift." If you just slightly tilt the phone there's a rapid shift to pink or even yellow and then blue. Really hard to explain. Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but it was horrible.

That’s pretty much exactly what I’m referring to.

That one is a tough pill to swallow

Reactions: Harthag

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas

The last 6 I’ve tried do this. Even worse with True Tone on. I’m calling it quits and taking the L

Reactions: jimmy_uk

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I thought id never stop caring, but at this point 6 months in, ill just hold off another 6 hoping for some better luck next iPhone

3 out of around 9 I’ve had haven’t. I hear ya but if you have an absolutely terrible panel why not try especially if you’ve had 6 and still empty handed. That’s a lot.

But I also understand. Mine could b pure luck and I feel like it is. But still that’s a lot of units for very few that are mostly
Good/serviceable, and only
1/9 exceptional

For context First one didn’t, but bad reception. Then a handful of terrible and was gonna be done but got a contract price on my x so went for it and if it was that bad I was gonna sell it and move on.

The One I kept and shattered, was perfect. And this replacement seems to have different tints in really subtle (greys) ways top to bottom but not overwhelmingly and in many lighting situations not even noticeable

I’ve seen some with pink on the top and/or bunny ears blasted with a hot pink

And some with the horrid rainbow shift. Good way to describe it. And others way duller and less bright.

In video content this device blows away 7+ (trailers app)

Last edited:

fernando7

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2017

Margin

Guys, it seems you both were lucky to get the perfect white panel, with no problem whatsoever. But what about the display uniformity or screen banding? Problem which most people noticed in clock app under no light or in dark room.(I have attached a pic for the reference of the problem I am talking about). https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/img_20171106_073920-jpg.732849/
Because I got my hand on good white panel with no shifts, but the above mentioned problem was very noticeable. And they replaced my device, and current one has some shift and not really white looking but it has no screen banding. I want to know the opinion of you guys.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
6 of my friends have iPhone Xs and I checked their screens, I've tested 4 at two different stores, and I have one, too. So that's 11 iPhone Xs I've looked from weird angles. I know this is anecdotal, and I know it's a small sample, but while I can see some slight differences (some have bluish shift, some have pinkish), they are all mostly the same, and very similar in this regard to the Samsung S8 and S9 I've tried at the stores.

I didn't see anything close to 'holographic' TN panels or rainbow shifts. I have a strong feeling that any future X I test will also be the same like this.

So, the only conclusion I have is that one of these is true:

1. I am really lucky and only saw the "good" ones
2. You guys are really unlucky
3. I don't see these issues, even though they are there
4. You see these issues, even though they are not there

My advice is to stop looking for the 'perfect' panel, that is just silly. Or, just return the phone.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
6 of my friends have iPhone Xs and I checked their screens, I've tested 4 at two different stores, and I have one, too. So that's 11 iPhone Xs I've looked from weird angles. I know this is anecdotal, and I know it's a small sample, but while I can see some slight differences (some have bluish shift, some have pinkish), they are all mostly the same, and very similar in this regard to the Samsung S8 and S9 I've tried at the stores.

I didn't see anything close to 'holographic' TN panels or rainbow shifts. I have a strong feeling that any future X I test will also be the same like this.

My advice is to stop looking for the 'perfect' panel, that is just silly. Or, just return the phone.

Lighting factors in tho.

In good lighting even a bad panel can look decent.

Apple store lights make even the worst panel look tolerable

Reactions: aevan

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

Items 1-3 are all applicable. The issues are real. Even my dad who couldn't care less noticed right away that one of my X was very pink tinted compared to his, head on. The rainbow shifting screens absolutely exist. I can't describe it in any other way, but that is exactly what it looks like. At the slightest angle there is very rapid deterioration and rapid shifting between multiple color tones.

If I buy the next iPhone X I am giving it one chance. If the screen sucks I'll get the LCD iPhone (or keep using my 8) and call it a day. I am not at all excited about the next iPhones for several reasons, though.

Reactions: jimmy_uk and aevan

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
Little story..

First iPhone X was perfect. It seems, every first phone I get is fine. Any replacement is a gamble. Had to replace it, the phone Apple sent was much more yellow and the sim tray stuck out so you could feel it, not good. So, I swapped it again. The second phone was better all around. Screen was near perfect. The only issue was near the top of the display where the glass meets the band is a black "frame". They didn't finish buffing it down or something as it was very sharp and stuck out. I did it myself and kept the phone.

Fast forward, the phone started heating up real bad. So I swapped it again. Got the new phone yesterday. Everything appeared to be fine. Nope. The top half of the phone is more pink than the bottom. Results in the top half being more "dim" than the brighter bottom half. Was hoping to get over it but it's all I see. True tone exacerbates it. Even with it off, it's noticeable. Top half dimmer/different color than the bottom.

I marked it as DOA and they will send out another. Really getting tired of this and don't expect such quality from a $1,000 dollar phone. Period. The screen inconsistency is unreal.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Little story..

First iPhone X was perfect. It seems, every first phone I get is fine. Any replacement is a gamble. Had to replace it, the phone Apple sent was much more yellow and the sim tray stuck out so you could feel it, not good. So, I swapped it again. The second phone was better all around. Screen was near perfect. The only issue was near the top of the display where the glass meets the band is a black "frame". They didn't finish buffing it down or something as it was very sharp and stuck out. I did it myself and kept the phone.

Fast forward, the phone started heating up real bad. So I swapped it again. Got the new phone yesterday. Everything appeared to be fine. Nope. The top half of the phone is more pink than the bottom. Results in the top half being more "dim" than the brighter bottom half. Was hoping to get over it but it's all I see. True tone exacerbates it. Even with it off, it's noticeable. Top half dimmer/different color than the bottom.

I marked it as DOA and they will send out another. Really getting tired of this and don't expect such quality from a $1,000 dollar phone. Period. The screen inconsistency is unreal.

Sucks what was wrong with the first one?

And noticeable on greys or even in just casual surfing use?

I really miss my older screen but I’m worried about getting one way worse too

I’ve seen too many unacceptable ones
Straight out of the box

Its kinda nuts that even if you do get a good screen, if you ever shatter it or have hardware issues, both of which could be possible, and have to do a swap, you could get a detestable panel as rthey’re Not that uncommon in my experience (never mind perfect, but outright detestable)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
@WilliamG what did you end up doing? Get a good X / give up / settle?

Interestingly, I did get a good one. It’s a silver model. My wife got a good one first go - silver. So after a couple of grey ones I went silver - first time excellent. A few friends had similar experiences with poor grey/excellent silver. All anecdotal evidence of course, but there you go...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Interestingly, I did get a good one. It’s a silver model. My wife got a good one first go - silver. So after a couple of grey ones I went silver - first time excellent. A few friends had similar experiences with poor grey/excellent silver. All anecdotal evidence of course, but there you go...

And what qualifies it as excellent In relation to the others?

Does it still have a gradient / unevenness or shift?

Glad to hear in any case !

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008

Straight out of the box

Yup, noticeable on greys. It's not terrible when surfing but it's there. Very noticeable in my messages app which is what I use a lot

Straight out of the box

Its kinda nuts that even if you do get a good screen, if you ever shatter it or have hardware issues, both of which could be possible, and have to do a swap, you could get a detestable panel as rthey’re Not that uncommon in my experience (never mind perfect, but outright detestable)

First one was over heating. Got really super hot.

Heres the comparison. Old (have the plastic on it) one may have had some slight variation but it was fine to me. New (first and third images) one is just too pink.

New 1.jpg
Old 1.jpg
New 2.jpg
Old 2.jpg

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yup, noticeable on greys. It's not terrible when surfing but it's there. Very noticeable in my messages app which is what I use a lot

First one was over heating. Got really super hot.

Heres the comparison. Old (have the plastic on it) one may have had some slight variation but it was fine to me. New (first and third images) one is just too pink.

View attachment 763995 View attachment 763996 View attachment 763999 View attachment 764000

I see what’s you mean I think about and software update are pink blotched

Man I think this keeps solidifying me not want to gamble again, despite thinking I found a perfect one previously before the incident

1 out of like 7 or 8, and that was probably good luck too

This one I thought was perfect for a few weeks too but it does have a little
Bit of a two tone gradient. It’s subtle in most situations.

Off axis is good, no pink edges or any of that so more good than not

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
I see what’s you mean I think about and software update are pink blotched

Man I think this keeps solidifying me not want to gamble again, despite thinking I found a perfect one previously before the incident

1 out of like 7 or 8, and that was probably good luck too

This one I thought was perfect for a few weeks too but it does have a little
Bit of a two tone gradient. It’s subtle in most situations.

Off axis is good, no pink edges or any of that so more good than not

Yup, top portion is pink blotched.

My old phone was perfect for me. Nothing overtly bad like the new phone is. This new one is just too much. Hoping the replacement is better but you never know.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
No unevenness. Just the standard off-axis shift. It’s a great iPhone X example.

And no two tone at all? Great!

Glad to hear :)

I’m curious how others have been Getting along this thread has lost lots of traction hopefully for the better

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
Replacement arrived and it's perfect. Screen is uniform and not complaints! Typical off axis shift but same as my other good phone that had to be replaced. Pleased. It only took two exchanges. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.