Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

serghio26

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2021
hola grupo He estado leyendo este hilo durante varios meses. Tengo un imac 27 "a mediados de 2010, compré una placa lógica y tengo la intención de cambiar una por otra y hacer nuevos agujeros en la parte trasera para los nuevos puertos thunderbolt de allí cambiando la placa lógica. Después de leer el mensaje y los mensajes de este hilo cuál sería la cpu y la gpu más poderosa que podría instalar en mi imac 27 "con la placa lógica de mediados de 2011.
¿Podría instalarse el i7-3770k? Gracias

serghio26

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2021
hello group He estado leyendo este hilo durante varios meses. Tengo un imac 27 "a mediados de 2010, compré una placa lógica a mediados de 2011 y tengo la intención de cambiar una por otra y hacer nuevos agujeros para los nuevos puertos Thunderbolt de allí cambiando la placa lógica. Después de leer el mensaje y los mensajes de este hilo cuál sería la cpu y la gpu más potente que podría instalar en mi imac 27 "con la placa lógica de mediados de 2011.

serghio26

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2021
hello group I have been reading this thread for several months. I have an imac 27" mid-2010, I bought a logic board mid-2011 and I intend to change one by another and make for the back new holes for the new thunderbolt ports of there changing the logic board. After reading message and messages from this thread what would be the cpu and gpu most powerful I could install on my imac 27" with the logic board of mid-2011.
Could the i7-3770k be installed? Thank you

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
hello group He estado leyendo este hilo durante varios meses. Tengo un imac 27 "a mediados de 2010, compré una placa lógica a mediados de 2011 y tengo la intención de cambiar una por otra y hacer nuevos agujeros para los nuevos puertos Thunderbolt de allí cambiando la placa lógica. Después de leer el mensaje y los mensajes de este hilo cuál sería la cpu y la gpu más potente que podría instalar en mi imac 27 "con la placa lógica de mediados de 2011.

iMac 27" 2010 => Core i7-870 or core i7-880 (rare)
iMac 21,5" 2010 => Core i7-860s

iMac 27" 2011 => Core i7-2700k or Xeon X3480
iMac 21.5" 2011 => Core i7-2600s

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
hello group I have been reading this thread for several months. I have an imac 27" mid-2010, I bought a logic board mid-2011 and I intend to change one by another and make for the back new holes for the new thunderbolt ports of there changing the logic board. After reading message and messages from this thread what would be the cpu and gpu most powerful I could install on my imac 27" with the logic board of mid-2011.
Could the i7-3770k be installed? Thank you
Hola!

I own both models Mid 2010 and Mid 2011 and I do not really know if it worth the trouble and effort.

Most gain you can get with a balanced system. As of now the HDD, low memory and the GPU are the weakest parts of your current system. A metal GPU would allow to install Big Sur, an AMD GPU possible the upcoming macOS 12, too. The Mid 2010 is much more receptive for such a GPU change, the Mid 2011 is a real mess sometimes.

Running benchmarks is not a real use case.

Stay healthy!

serghio26

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2021
as a help, do all the cpus for sandy bridge and ivy bridge carry the same sideburns I mean the cpus?

serghio26

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2021
Ivy Bridge processors are backward compatible with the Sandy Bridge platform, but may require a firmware update (manufacturer-specific). On April 8, 2011, intel released the new Panther Point 7 Series chipset series with built-in USB 3.0 to complement Ivy Bridge.

serghio26

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2021

Attachments

• sandy-ivy bridge.png
    sandy-ivy bridge.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 149

StephN999

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2020
Cergy, France
Bonjour,

I've already talked about it several times, the Z68 chipset of the iMac 2011 is compatible with the Ivy Bridge, although it's not very clear (not enough information) a priori you can't switch to PCIe 3.0 with this chipset, if you only had to change the microcodes and the Intel ME, my machine would already be with this type of processor, the problem is that there would be boot codes (initialization?) to change, that's where it's a bit tricky...

Otherwise just for test with my Sandy Bridge I have already updated successfully the Intel ME, it works perfectly, except that each reset of the PRAM is like updating the firmware, so there is also something to see on this side.

Don't forget also that it's only the first Ivy Bridge that are compatible, after Intel changed the socket.

Bonne journée.

Rendell001

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2019
Scotland
Bonjour,

I've already talked about it several times, the Z68 chipset of the iMac 2011 is compatible with the Ivy Bridge, although it's not very clear (not enough information) a priori you can't switch to PCIe 3.0 with this chipset, if you only had to change the microcodes and the Intel ME, my machine would already be with this type of processor, the problem is that there would be boot codes (initialization?) to change, that's where it's a bit tricky...

Otherwise just for test with my Sandy Bridge I have already updated successfully the Intel ME, it works perfectly, except that each reset of the PRAM is like updating the firmware, so there is also something to see on this side.

Don't forget also that it's only the first Ivy Bridge that are compatible, after Intel changed the socket.

Bonne journée.
I'm no expert but from following the progess on this thread over the last year, it does seem to me that there must be something in the microcode that is preventing the full functionality of the Ivybbridge CPU. If we could get someone with the requisite skills / experience we might uncover the missing piece of the jigsaw...

serghio26

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2021
hello group, a question, does the same happen for Mac as for Windows when substituting cpu for Xeon or for i7-3770?

serghio26

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2021
sorry to what I meant that the whole problem is on the part of the motherboard and its chipset and specifically its microcodes?

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
sorry to what I meant that the whole problem is on the part of the motherboard and its chipset and specifically its microcodes?
No one has engineering docs and we assume it is about the microcode. But since 2011 no one has done it or succeeded partly I am not so sure about it. We made some changes to the microcode enabling EFI boot screens for some new AMD GPU. But nothing more.

You need to have a spare 2011 system, a fitting CPU and memory and a lot of time to do the find and replace parts of the microcode.

It is simply not possible with a single iMac at home not booting for weeks.

FishFood123

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2021
Bonjour,

I did not understand everything ?, but concerning your display problem with your new graphics card try to see on the dedicated topic, you may have missed something. o_O

Uh if not hear (uh sorry read ?) that your system boots with the Xeon without having to change the microcode I am super surprised there! ?

the absence of IGPU does not prevent the display with software like Teamviewer or Remote Desktop by cons, I already had black screens and the system which boot, but I had the display on another machine , by the way we didn't even see the graphics card in about this mac.

I have the same CH341a “black edition’s” and I still confirm that the clip is really bad.? I'll take the clip I'm talking about on post 43. ;)

Edit: short, already see how to solve the problem of the graphics card and we can talk about the CPU after I think.
Do you have any issues with your
Bonjour,

@gagarin04, apart from telling you the most powerful officially recommended by Apple (1) I don't see!?
and of course don't forget enough ram (2) and a SSD.

1. Intel® Core™ i7-2600

2. I recommend 32, it allows to play quietly with a virtual machine, 24 seems to be the minimum to have the maximum in the benchmarks according to my research.

Edit: Grilled by roscho. ?
Whats the best CPU for 2011 21.5 inch IMac

Gatgat

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
Hello waht the Best Cpu for my iMac 2011 27 for Windows. Working the Xeon Cpu on windows 10?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.