Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I can't believe folks are not only condoning, but are continuing to recommend to others, to abuse the 14 day grace period.

Folks, Apple offers that grace period to ensure satisfaction with its products, not to use as a fill-in until another model is released; that's simply abuse of a good thing.

There's been a lot of complaining about Apple prices, and guess what, abusing the 14 day grace period drives up costs, which we pay for every time we buy an Apple product.

Lastly, everyone should know what happens when you abuse something; it usually gets modified or goes away; I wouldn't doubt if Apple is considering a "7 Day Grace Period", and if that happens, thank yourselves!

Come on folks, let's have a little integrity, and abusing a good thing.
m
When Phill Schiller or Tim Cook says that, I will say otherwise. Its there, unless your 200 billion dollars is being affected, then its there, use it.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
When Phill Schiller or Tim Cook says that, I will say otherwise. Its there, unless your 200 billion dollars is being affected, then its there, use it.

I agree. Apple is the richest company on the planet. If I want to test-drive three or four of their notebooks before I commit, I'm going to. They'll turn around and sell the returns as refurbs and still make tons of money. Have you seen their new campus in Cupertino?? Well, that's where all your hard-earned money has gone, folks.

Reactions: Mr. Dee and MrGuder

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I do not believe in MacBook Pro updates.
The iMac needs USB-C and the 12" needs to compete with Microsoft.
Other than that, iOS is the focus at WWDC.
Maybe the show off an OLED iPad, repeating the mantra that it is a PC.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I do not believe in MacBook Pro updates.
The iMac needs USB-C and the 12" needs to compete with Microsoft.
Other than that, iOS is the focus at WWDC.
Maybe the show off an OLED iPad, repeating the mantra that it is a PC.
When many various news media outlets are also reporting this and quoting the Bloomberg report, you can pretty much confirm Apples going to be updating the MacBook at WWDC. It's not like there going to be talking about this for an hour, 5 mins tops on stage.

Reactions: willmtaylor

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011

I do not agree; its simply wrong!
[doublepost=1495738048][/doublepost]

I agree. Apple is the richest company on the planet. If I want to test-drive three or four of their notebooks before I commit, I'm going to. They'll turn around and sell the returns as refurbs and still make tons of money. Have you seen their new campus in Cupertino?? Well, that's where all your hard-earned money has gone, folks.

Test driving is different than th OP' original suggestion.

I have test driven two Mac's over the years. But to go out ahead of the release and only use one for two weeks until the new ones come out is simply wrong.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Exactly, they are spending probably hundreds of thousands on getting a door knob right on a new campus that doesn't necessarily make a better product. Its not like the old campus wasn't productive already. Taking into consideration also, some of their best products were created at 1 Infinite Loop: iMac G3, G4, iPod, iPhone, iPad.

5 billion dollar campus vs 14 day return policy. I can tell you how Apple has so much money they don't know what to do with it. When they are renovating stores. Renovating a store is not cheap, so I don't see how a negligible return of something you might not like is costing them.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Test driving is different than th OP' original suggestion.

Right, buying with the intent to keep or simply see if it's for you is the purpose of a 14 day return window. For example, if I bought a new MBP, I would use the return window to see if the keyboard is something I could get comfortable with. In the store I don't like it at all, but I've used it for a few minutes a handful of times.

Buying with the intention of returning it on day 14 is kind of lame. Like buying a suit off the wrack for a wedding and returning it after. Don't be that guy! :eek:

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
so I don't see how a negligible return of something you might not like is costing them.

I agree with you on the above, however, That's different form you original post in which you said: "If you need a Mac now because your current model is too slow, dead or the money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy the 2016, return it before 14 day grace period then get the new model." This suggestion is an abuse of the 14 day policy.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I agree with you on the above, however, That's different form you original post in which you said: "If you need a Mac now because your current model is too slow, dead or the money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy the 2016, return it before 14 day grace period then get the new model." This suggestion is an abuse of the 14 day policy.
What think you need to stop doing is try dictate to customers how to exercise a policy with their own money. Unless you work with Angela as head of retail or part of the leadership of the company, thats just your own opinion. Your idea of abuse is just perception.
[doublepost=1495742576][/doublepost]Another thing, the scenario I presented is very small based on the window of a product launch.

If my MacBook Pro died this morning and I had every intention to buy a new mid 2017 MacBook Pro, but I have a mission critical project complete, what should I do, lose the project in order to wait for the new MacBook Pro? At the same time, I want the best bang for my bucks, which is faster process; better battery life. Its my right as long as that policy exist to use it how I want. If Apple deems it a costly loophole and then change, so be it. Then again, such a scenario is a rare occurrence. Those complaining are acting like they have an Excel spreadsheet with millions of 14 day policy returns.

In fact, the amount of persons who exercise it are probably less than 500 or even lesser.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
What think you need to stop doing is try dictate to customers how to exercise a policy with their own money. Unless you work with Angela as head of retail or part of the leadership of the company, thats just your own opinion. Your idea of abuse is just perception.
[doublepost=1495742576][/doublepost]Another thing, the scenario I presented is very small based on the window of a product launch.

If my MacBook Pro died this morning and I had every intention to buy a new mid 2017 MacBook Pro, but I have a mission critical project complete, what should I do, lose the project in order to wait for the new MacBook Pro? At the same time, I want the best bang for my bucks, which is faster process; better battery life. Its my right as long as that policy exist to use it how I want. If Apple deems it a costly loophole and then change, so be it. Then again, such a scenario is a rare occurrence. Those complaining are acting like they have an Excel spreadsheet with millions of 14 day policy returns.

In fact, the amount of persons who exercise it are probably less than 500 or even lesser.

You win!

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Exactly, they are spending probably hundreds of thousands on getting a door knob right on a new campus that doesn't necessarily make a better product. Its not like the old campus wasn't productive already. Taking into consideration also, some of their best products were created at 1 Infinite Loop: iMac G3, G4, iPod, iPhone, iPad.

5 billion dollar campus vs 14 day return policy. I can tell you how Apple has so much money they don't know what to do with it. When they are renovating stores. Renovating a store is not cheap, so I don't see how a negligible return of something you might not like is costing them.

Actually the old campus is an issue. It is too small and Apple has groups spread all over the valley

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Not about winning, but you have to admit, your concern is quite an over exaggeration.

It's not about exaggeration, it's about principal, ethics, and integrity.

Yes, it's your right to interpret their policy anyway you wish; still doesn't make it right or ethical.

But hey, you have justified it to yourself, so you win.

Reactions: HenryDJP

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Actually the old campus is an issue. It is too small and Apple has groups spread all over the valley
Sure, as Steve Jobs said the population of employees was growing like weeds. What has happened since his death under Jony Ive's stewardship, is exorbitant extravagance. The intended purpose of the campus is to create optimized collaboration through its serendipitous design. The only major aesthetics intended was the greenery and enclosed parks. Jony took it in a completely different direction, but there was no choice in the matter, since the founder was no longer around to yes or no decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
A lot of sources are claiming this would be unprecedented, and a brazen move for Apple, slapping the customers who bought a new MBP just 7 months ago. But when I bought my current computer (a macbook) on its launch day (October 2008), it was updated quite significantly in June. In fact, in June, the computer that I bought as a Macbook became indistinguishable from the Macbook Pros. I'm hopeful that this is more that an upgrade in processor. If they've sorted what's making the keyboards so touchy and figured out how to eke a little more battery into the body, that would be so winning and wonderful.

A girl with an 8.5 year old computer can dream...

Reactions: Saturn1217

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
A lot of sources are claiming this would be unprecedented, and a brazen move for Apple, slapping the customers who bought a new MBP just 7 months ago. But when I bought my current computer (a macbook) on its launch day (October 2008), it was updated quite significantly in June. In fact, in June, the computer that I bought as a Macbook became indistinguishable from the Macbook Pros. I'm hopeful that this is more that an upgrade in processor. If they've sorted what's making the keyboards so touchy and figured out how to eke a little more battery into the body, that would be so winning and wonderful.

A girl with an 8.5 year old computer can dream...
Actually, they became available for purchase in October, starting with the non touch bar 13 inch model . So, by next month, it would be 9 months since the last revision. In some respects, thats like an eternity in the tech industry. A spec update is not necessarily a slap in the face, but a continued refinement of a product. Apple is still a business and if they were to disclose in October of last year 'oh, by the way, we are updating it in June of 2017', trust me there are many who would rather wait it out. That would lead to bad sales.

What the kabylake update likely means is the Mac will probably be back on a regularly scheduled update cycle. Remember, Skylake came out in August of 2015, by this August, it will be 2 years old.

With Canonlake on the horizon, the 2016 MBP would be 2 generations behind in processor technology. So, applying the 7th generation update will lead to a more graceful transition to the 8th generation update. What that means is, MacBook's and MacBook Pro's will now be on a mid year upgrade cycle instead of the fall. It also means, they will be on par with the rest of industry like the Dell's, Acer, HP, Samsung.

Part of this is likely strategic on Tim's part too for quarterly revenues by balancing it out. Sales of devices like the iPhone and iPad are starting to decline, so Apple probably wants to keep the momentum going up to the fall. The strategy in previous years was to have everything in the fall, but we see what it leads to, mega upgrades in the first two quarters, then a slow down in the last two. Apple needs something to pick up the slack for the last two quarters and this is the new way of doing it.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
I am waiting but if it is not announced, I'll be getting a refurb 2016 model but it is just so hard honestly I also want the 2015 model, its going to be pretty tough when I add either one of those to the shopping cart. Each one has it's own positive sides for my usage.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
If they don't announce something it increasingly looks like a Dell for me

Personally I do not understand comments like this. What is it you try to achieve with the laptop that you couldn't with the current.

For me at the moment the cost is prohibitive. I will not buy at those prices. I pay no more then $2500 for 15" screen, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD. I don't care about CPU or GPU speed or touch bar.

Cheerio
LaForge

Reactions: ascender
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.