Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Presumably its someone who absolutely needs 32GB RAM and a more powerful processor than they currently come with? Because unless Apple do a complete u-turn, they ain't going to replace the keyboard, the form factor, change ports etc.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
The current MBP 15" Apple claims 10 hrs of battery. Is it possible with Kaby Lake that Apple could claim getting 11 hrs or would it still be 10?

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
The current MBP 15" Apple claims 10 hrs of battery. Is it possible with Kaby Lake that Apple could claim getting 11 hrs or would it still be 10?

Its possible. They might claim 12 hours or 15 hours if there's some new battery tech ready (or they've managed to fit a larger capacity MB 12"-style battery in there which was one of the rumours as to the delays with this MBP).

Nobody knows.

*Waits for someone to come along and say they can get 11 hours with the current model and someone else will say they struggle to get two hours with the current one :)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I suspect for others, it may be the lack of components, i.e., ram > 16GB, better keyboard, and if the need is fairly immediate then it makes sense to find an alternative.

Also the fact that I cannot configure the machine to my needs. I need it for writing mainly and storing my photos in Aperture. So lots of harddrive space and 15" is what I like.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Obviously Apple wants to recoup some R&D money from the 2016 MBP, hence the pricing. They pretty much do it every major revision or new product category. The MacBook Air when it came out in 2008 cost about $1,800. Over time, it came down in price, got faster, included other ports and is now considered the cheapest Apple laptop to get. Not to mention, the most popular too. It was a similar case for the 5k iMac, started out at $2,500, now its $1,700.

It is an inevitable direction for the current generation of MacBook Pro's. By Rev C, you are likely to get a 15 inch MBP for about $1,700 to $1,800. Albeit, possibly lacking discrete graphics, slower processor, no touch bar/touch ID. I just think with something like Touch ID, It really needs to be standard.

I hope my theory is right, because the 12.9 inch iPad Pro is just too expensive. When you start adding LTE, 128 GBs of storage and throw in a keyboard, you are basically looking at entry level MacBook Pro pricing. Apple needs to move the maxed configuration for the iPad Pro into the $700 to 800/900 category, followed by the MacBook/Air, MBP.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Everyone has different needs. My 13" is completely fine from speed and everything. But as I need to write more on just the laptop I prefer a 15" because also my eyes are not getting better. I like to write with two apps side by side. Writing app and an app from which I can read or copy information like Word, Safari, Preview etc....

So like a 15", 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM. I do not care for touch bar, CPU, GPU. Any Kaby lake dual core or quad core is fine. I am not willing to spend more than 2500$$. I could get a HP laptop for $850 but of course I do not want to use Windows.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
I'm confused, since WWDC is less than 14 days away, should I buy a MacBook Pro now and return it if they announce a new one or should I just wait and buy one after WWDC?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I'm confused, since WWDC is less than 14 days away, should I buy a MacBook Pro now and return it if they announce a new one or should I just wait and buy one after WWDC?

If you can wait until after WWDC, do so. As I previously noted, announcement doesn't mean same day or next week availability. It could take another 3 weeks for all or some models to be available in stores.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
If you can wait until after WWDC, do so. As I previously noted, announcement doesn't mean same day or next week availability. It could take another 3 weeks for all or some models to be available in stores.
Yeah but I remember various times when Apple says they start shipping the day of announcement cause it's a small spec bump and if they don't ship that day I'll just return and wait till they do.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Yeah but I remember various times when Apple says they start shipping the day of announcement cause it's a small spec bump and if they don't ship that day I'll just return and wait till they do.
Best case scenario, but don't put your hopes on it.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
Best case scenario, but don't put your hopes on it.
What is your opinion on this though? From what I see I have nothing to lose cause I still have a few days after WWDC to return my device and I can get $200 off my MacBook Pro at Best Buy. I just want to know from you are there any consequences of me doing it?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
What is your opinion on this though? From what I see I have nothing to lose cause I still have a few days after WWDC to return my device and I can get $200 off my MacBook Pro at Best Buy. I just want to know from you are there any consequences of me doing it?
There are no consequences if you can wait, in fact, its a bargain for you. You end up getting improved processor technology and its much cheaper.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Personally I do not understand comments like this. What is it you try to achieve with the laptop that you couldn't with the current.

For me at the moment the cost is prohibitive. I will not buy at those prices. I pay no more then $2500 for 15" screen, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD. I don't care about CPU or GPU speed or touch bar.

Cheerio
LaForge

My current machine is well used and developing some issues. Its almost out of warranty so I'd like to replace it. But as you point out - the cost is prohibitive - even more so if you are not in the US. The Dell alternative is simply sooooo much cheaper, and has some features I prefer such as the ability to stick 32GB Ram into it. If things stay as they are there really is no choice for me.

Daeve

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
I just took my 2016 Macbook Pro (TB, 1TB, 460, max CPU) back under the 14 day return policy. I could not get used to the touch bar at all. If the touch bar had a physical ESC key I may have kept it, but then I read the rumours about WWDC so decided to return and wait. Hopefully they'll bring out the non-touchbar with an upgraded CPU and GPU.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Apple wont release a refreshed MBP on WWDC, sorry boys and girls.

Are you Mark Gurmans evil twin?

I think what Apple should do is return the physical function key and add the Touchbar as a separate function with additional quick access capabilities. I also think it needs more length to clearly need a web page or photo thumbnail or contact picture.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I have read that people say Apple wanted to originally use a larger battery in the MBP but settled for a lesser one. I'm trying to understand what is different now vs last year except for the obvious that Kaby Lake wasn't available last year. I mean from Oct 2016 to June 2017 what has changed? Does that time allow Apple to add a larger battery and add Kaby Lake that they couldn't do back in October 2016?

kipwheeler

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2016
I have read that people say Apple wanted to originally use a larger battery in the MBP but settled for a lesser one. I'm trying to understand what is different now vs last year except for the obvious that Kaby Lake wasn't available last year. I mean from Oct 2016 to June 2017 what has changed? Does that time allow Apple to add a larger battery and add Kaby Lake that they couldn't do back in October 2016?

Possibly. If there were kinks they couldn't fix by October in the setup, they've had another 9 months to experiment until they found a setup that worked to their satisfaction.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
It is possible multiple variations were in development, but the larger battery model needed more engineering and development. The additional 9 months might have given them enough time to resolve whatever issues were holding it back. Or, this could simply be a spec bump update, nothing else has changed. For all we know, same amount of RAM, no 32 GB config, same keyboard etc.

Rev C. might actually be the upgrade to wait for since that could include the rumored ARM Power Management Chip leading to better battery life.

I personally not looking at another Apple laptop until Tigerlake in 2020/2021. By then, USB C will be ubiquitous, Intel will be maxed out 5 NM, 32 GBs of RAM will be standard, with 64 GBs and 128 GBs options, 1 TB SSD will be standard with option 3 and 5 TB configurations, 5K display will be standard, AR/VR cameras.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
So how will we know exactly what's in this upcoming update on June 5 apart from what Apple tells us at the key note or their online website?

What I mean is will we have to wait for ifix it to tear open the insides to find out exactly what's different? Or will this not even warrant ifix it to open one of these up produced after June 5th?

Also if they do update it and I order it right away how would I know Apple wouldn't ship me a 2016 model instead of the 2017 w/ the spec bump?

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
Also if they do update it and I order it right away how would I know Apple wouldn't ship me a 2016 model instead of the 2017 w/ the spec bump?

On the order page, it will clearly tell you the processor, etc. of the machine you're buying. The description of any new features, if any, will probably be very conspicuous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.