Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Europe has over double the population, but it’s average economic demographics have to account for a significant population that lives FAR below American counterparts.

Also, the most recent numbers I can find for iPhone market share show Europe is at nearly 35%, and has hit over 50% in the United States (their home market).

I mean, congratulations on having a continent that is struggling economically and is finding itself unable to sustain luxury market purchases. Low cost android devices dominate nearly any market that isn’t the American market. What’s your point? Apple’s sales model has worked well for them over the last 15-20 years. They have grown consistently despite multiple financial issues around the globe during that time period. They don’t need to outsell android to continue their crown over the consumer electronics market, as that hasn’t been their method yet.

I think it has more to do with consumer choice than wealth demographics to be honest. Some of the poorest in our society use iPhones/iPads and high end android devices. This might be about to change though as the war has drastically affected all European economies and that’s not something I think we need congratulating about or mocked for. I’m glad Apple are immune from economic struggles and I’m sure many will be touched by that.

Reactions: ct2k7

AlexMac89

macrumors member
May 23, 2022
I think it has more to do with consumer choice than wealth demographics to be honest. Some of the poorest in our society use iPhones/iPads and high end android devices. This might be about to change though as the war has drastically affected all European economies and that’s not something I think we need congratulating about or mocked for. I’m glad Apple are immune from economic struggles and I’m sure many will be touched by that.

Sure, there are poor people who will purchase a $1000+ phone, and wealthy people using a $50 android. Doesn’t change the fact that the socioeconomic demographics of iOS vs android IS highly wealth based. This isn’t about what you “think” or “feel”. It’s common knowledge. Apple has the highest ASP by far, has customers that significantly outspend competitors in its App Store, and for nearly a decade has had customers with average incomes significantly higher than android.

As an American consumer purchasing from an American brand, I AM happy Apple is (relatively speaking) immune from a lot of the economic struggles their size affords them. It has stabilized prices in their primary market, has allowed them to funnel simply MASSIVE amounts of money into R&D for custom parts and future products, and allows them to grow products over time rather than requiring overnight successes or face cancellation.

I’m sorry YOUR prices have risen, and YOUR spending has had to change in response. None of that makes Apple the bad guy. And none of that makes the price increases and market instability vs the USD Apple’s fault.

Be frustrated at the state of your first world economy, sure, but post after post and it’s the same complaining that your national currency is worth less. Apple didn’t devalue your currency. Apple adjusted prices in line with your currency’s abysmal performance over the last year. None of that will matter to you, as it has been said many times before.

But it’s easier to point fingers at some American multinational rather than hold your own leaders accountable for the decisions that have cratered your currency.

Reactions: Abazigal

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Sure, there are poor people who will purchase a $1000+ phone, and wealthy people using a $50 android. Doesn’t change the fact that the socioeconomic demographics of iOS vs android IS highly wealth based. This isn’t about what you “think” or “feel”. It’s common knowledge. Apple has the highest ASP by far, has customers that significantly outspend competitors in its App Store, and for nearly a decade has had customers with average incomes significantly higher than android.

As an American consumer purchasing from an American brand, I AM happy Apple is (relatively speaking) immune from a lot of the economic struggles their size affords them. It has stabilized prices in their primary market, has allowed them to funnel simply MASSIVE amounts of money into R&D for custom parts and future products, and allows them to grow products over time rather than requiring overnight successes or face cancellation.

I’m sorry YOUR prices have risen, and YOUR spending has had to change in response. None of that makes Apple the bad guy. And none of that makes the price increases and market instability vs the USD Apple’s fault.

Be frustrated at the state of your first world economy, sure, but post after post and it’s the same complaining that your national currency is worth less. Apple didn’t devalue your currency. Apple adjusted prices in line with your currency’s abysmal performance over the last year. None of that will matter to you, as it has been said many times before.

But it’s easier to point fingers at some American multinational rather than hold your own leaders accountable for the decisions that have cratered your currency.

I have not once suggested Apple is to blame for our currency and economy failing due to the war in Ukraine. I am here to talk about Apple products and prefer to leave politics out of it as per the forum rules on political discussion. Cheers.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
And how can they justify increasing the price of the iPad Pro from £999 to £1249? that's a 25% increase! 🤬

Inflation is 9.8%

Sickening behaviour.
Truss also managed to crater the pound recently and there's no sign it's going to go back up anytime soon since the tories both are locked into infighting and also are managing to stave off a general election so the economic policy out of the UK is going to stay a mess for a while until the govt gets sorted out. Since the pound cratered against the dollar prices on goods from the US are likely to go up to maintain profit margins for companies like Apple

AlexMac89

macrumors member
May 23, 2022
I have not once suggested Apple is to blame for our currency and economy failing due to the war in Ukraine. I am here to talk about Apple products and prefer to leave politics out of it as per the forum rules on political discussion. Cheers.

This is a thread on price increases. You have been highly vocal in condemning Apple for said price increases, and stating grand and definitive statements as to the “greed” of Apple and the effects it will have on Apple given your local economy. The price increases are directly tied to your individual currency’s performance against the USD.

This IS a conversation about Apple, and is not a political discussion. Local politics, which I have not gotten in to, or argued about, is the root of this issue, and I have not said anything either way about it. All I said was if you have an issue with pricing, you should take some of that frustration and anger and aim it towards those at fault, aka your local governments, rather than trying to blame Apple for your inability, or unwillingness, to afford its products as is.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
This is a thread on price increases. You have been highly vocal in condemning Apple for said price increases, and stating grand and definitive statements as to the “greed” of Apple and the effects it will have on Apple given your local economy. The price increases are directly tied to your individual currency’s performance against the USD.

This IS a conversation about Apple, and is not a political discussion. Local politics, which I have not gotten in to, or argued about, is the root of this issue, and I have not said anything either way about it. All I said was if you have an issue with pricing, you should take some of that frustration and anger and aim it towards those at fault, aka your local governments, rather than trying to blame Apple for your inability, or unwillingness, to afford its products as is.

I will guide my frustration at my government and Apple if I like. I voted with my wallet this year and Apple already got a lot less of my money than I planned, but I can still share my frustration here about huge price increases beyond the rate of inflation if I so wish, thanks.

Random_Matt

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2022
P
Do you have citable sources other than your observations?

'cuz in published data the iphone doesn't seem very endagered in the EU from these 2021 figures via AppleInsider.

46773-91172-Counterpoint-Europe-xl.jpg

Now apart from unit sales the more important figure is revenue share, which Apple also regularly dominates.

47163-91902-001-Smartphone-revenues-xl.jpg

Lol, One vs Many. IOS is an endangered species in the EU, Android destroys it. Why people get upset is beyond me, I only intially stated that Apple's increased prices will lead to lesser sales and the people go OTT.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
P

Lol, One vs Many. IOS is an endangered species in the EU, Android destroys it. Why people get upset is beyond me, I only intially stated that Apple's increased prices will lead to lesser sales and the people go OTT.
It’s interesting, because most people who I know on lower incomes tend to use iPhones, whilst those in higher brackets, tend to have a more even spread with iPhone and android phones, with the higher ends of Androids being preferred when having an Android phone.

I work in tech, and there is an even split.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Okay relax people. I’m just going to say to the Brits and Europeans, welcome to the club 😂 iPhone 14 is launching in my country, and the base regular iPhone 14 (not Pro), is about $1050.

Yup. FML.

Grenadier_45

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
Ireland
I think there's a lot of cross purposes talk here - there price changes in the US seem much smaller than the rest of the world. Given that the € is more or less parity with the $ (1.00 US Dollar = 1.02 Euros at time of typing), our prices seem very high compared to the US. To make it equivalent presumably we'd need to take into account sales tax because the prices listed here are inclusive of 23% VAT

Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 10.52.04.png

We're not talking about $330 for a 9th gen iPad we're talking the equivalent of $450 for the 'old' model. The new 'base' iPad is the equivalent of $600. That's a lot for an entry level device and presumably why Apple have hung on to the 9th Gen for now.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
To make it equivalent presumably we'd need to take into account sales tax because the prices listed here are inclusive of 23% VAT
That's correct, US prices do not include sales tax. Each state is able to set it's own rate, so tax is applied at point of sale.

You should use the price before VAT is added to get an accurate comparison.

If you take the iPad Air as an example, the price before VAT is just under €650 which converts to $634 at the current exchange rate. The price in the US is $599.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I think there's a lot of cross purposes talk here - there price changes in the US seem much smaller than the rest of the world. Given that the € is more or less parity with the $ (1.00 US Dollar = 1.02 Euros at time of typing), our prices seem very high compared to the US. To make it equivalent presumably we'd need to take into account sales tax because the prices listed here are inclusive of 23% VAT

View attachment 2098911

We're not talking about $330 for a 9th gen iPad we're talking the equivalent of $450 for the 'old' model. The new 'base' iPad is the equivalent of $600. That's a lot for an entry level device and presumably why Apple have hung on to the 9th Gen for now.
It's Apple trying their best to maintain their margins to the tee.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Published data suggests otherwise, but believe what you wish. If you do have a reference more substantive than "me and my friends" do please post the citation(s); I find the topic interesting from a marketing/business standpoint but don't get emotionally attached to brands or inanimate objects so I really don't care one way or the other.

Note though that unit sales market share isn't likely a measure Apple cares about since they've never seemed to be much about competing against the low cost competitition - look instead to revenue share, how much of the potential consumer spend they obtain. You make more money selling 25 widgets at 300€ each than selling 100 widgets at 50€ -- even though your unit sales market share is 1/5th of the total units sold, you've obtained 6/10ths of the consumer spend.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Yes they can, they have BILLIONS in the bank. Will they? Absolutely not, but lets not pretend they couldn’t if they wanted to.

Just because they can, they have no resposibility to subsidize your purchases, no a governments economic issues.
From manufacturing to sale of the products, it’s fairly basic economics.
Nothing roils me more than peoplw who feel so entitled thinking everyone else should pay for their lifestyles.

Grenadier_45

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
Ireland
This. And then add inflation…
And the shape of that graph is the same against the Euro too and presumably plenty of other currencies. The US Dollar is very very strong at the moment. It's rotten for the rest of the world trying to buy things which are fundamentally priced in dollars, but that's it.

Presumably Apple has done their calculations and is happy with them. If they find that they've miscalculated and that they're not shifting enough hardware I'd expect them to revisit their pricing in due course. It's how it works...

I'm not convinced the Air fits terribly well into the new structure now though - that's well out of casual purchase territory and into that of someone using it as a tool. In which case the extra for a Pro is probably not so hard to justify either unless, perhaps, you're ordering hundreds for company use.

Danando1993

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2010
Argos are selling them at £569 still. I was planning to buy one for my girlfriend at Christmas but pulled the trigger now before the possibility of them increasing the prices in line with Apple.

I'm also in the market for a new base iPad but not sure it makes sense to buy that model when you can have the m1 air for £69 more... for now at least anyway.

Grenadier_45

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
Ireland
Argos are selling them at £569 still. I was planning to buy one for my girlfriend at Christmas but pulled the trigger now before the possibility of them increasing the prices in line with Apple.

I'm also in the market for a new base iPad but not sure it makes sense to buy that model when you can have the m1 air for £69 more... for now at least anyway.
I'd have liked the bigger screen on the new iPad, and the incrementally faster processor, but I've ended up buying the 256GB 9th Generation to replace my 128GB 6th Gen unit for less than the 64GB 10th Gen (Amazon). I don't need 256GB, but 64 doesn't cut it for me storing video offline. I've been waiting and hoping Apple might provide 128GB base storage in the new one, but they haven't. Such is life ...

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Just because they can, they have no resposibility to subsidize your purchases, no a governments economic issues.
From manufacturing to sale of the products, it’s fairly basic economics.
Nothing roils me more than peoplw who feel so entitled thinking everyone else should pay for their lifestyles.

I never said they did, I said they could, that’s literally all I said.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The price increases suck big time, but we have many third party retail options in the U.K for Apple products. We just have to scout the best deals and go for those when they come up. We have always been pretty good at this anyway with all the comparison sites like hotukdeals etc.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The price increases suck big time, but we have many third party retail options in the U.K for Apple products. We just have to scout the best deals and go for those when they come up. We have always been pretty good at this anyway with all the comparison sites like hotukdeals etc.

I’ve noticed the iPad 9th gen is on sale pretty much everywhere for £299, yet Apple still sell it in their store for £369. You have to shop around these days and I’d sooner save 70 quid.

Reactions: snipr125

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I can understand a small price increase due to inflation, but £100 is absolutely insane. Pure corporate greed.

John Lewis, Amazon etc etc have not changed their prices, so don't shop at the Apple UK website people!

Incorrect - it's not due to "inflation" (why does everyone who doesn't understand this think it's inflation) - the pound is down 20% against the dollar from when the items were launched, hence the exact price change. They're always priced against the USD.

Reactions: AlexMac89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.