Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halibabamindingu

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2015
Ok thanks. I had to look through your posts to find the files. Sorry.
no problem mate, worked? When i get the time i`ll do a decent one. meanwhile someone could use theme park 3.1 and place all the other pngs. but see, its possible applying a full sierra/yosemite/el captain theme

cameronmiller

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
no problem mate, worked? When i get the time i`ll do a decent one. meanwhile someone could use theme park 3.1 and place all the other pngs. but see, its possible applying a full sierra/yosemite/el captain theme
Had somewhere to go, but actually, no it didn't change anything but my AQUADock progress bars and scroll bars. Oddly, buttons stayed AQUADock. Everything else is the same sadly. Again, the images sow up in the files, but don't show up in my opened windows. I don't have a clue as to what could be the problem.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Would anyone know how to fix this?

Make sure that the files were actually replaced. One thing I noticed in Leopard is, even if you drag the replacement files in and authenticate to replace existing files (within system apps, i.e. Dock.app), it won't actually copy them. I ended up deleting the resources I needed to replace, then moving the new ones in (for example, the new Dock files). As far as the art files go, I did it from single user mode, which is strictly command line, by holding cmd-s on boot up, moving the original files to my Documents directory (for backup), and copying (cp) the new files to where they belong.

I haven't tried the latest traffic lights files yet, though. I'll get to those tomorrow.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
Tried what exactly? Because I've never had issues going from blank to themed, as I've done this on 5 Macs so far, including a Mountain Lion machine

I tried the traffic light mod. Tried adding the modded files by deleting the original, then added the modded in single user mode. Nothing changed. And yes, I backed up the original. Everything is fine.

Reactions: Gamer9430

cameronmiller

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
I tried the traffic light mod. Tried adding the modded files by deleting the original, then added the modded in single user mode. Nothing changed. And yes, I backed up the original. Everything is fine.
I did the same thing and no dice. I have no idea what could be the problem. I am going to try starting from scratch, clean instal, no Mountain Leopard. I also found the Extra.rsrc files on my instal disc and I am going to try to modify those. Hope it works.

cameronmiller

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
Would anyone know how to fix my dock? Picture 2.png

cameronmiller

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
What exactly did you do?
I downloaded dock.zip and drag and dropped all of the contents. This is my result. It doesn't really matter though, this was on a different hard drive. Another thing, I did a clean instal of OS X 10.5 and downloaded theme park 3.1. Edited the rsrc's fine, but still no progress. Nothing wants to change. Maybe it's all in the artfiles.bin? I just don't know. This is my primary OS though. I used a command line from some website and it made all software that didn't come with the OS frosted, while making all software that did really dark grey, as in Safari.
Picture 12.png
[doublepost=1477273274][/doublepost]If anyone's interested, I have the icon for the modern version of Webkit. All you have to do is drag and drop it to resources in Webkit/Show Package Contents/Resources

Attachments

• webkit.icns.zip
    75.6 KB · Views: 243

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
I downloaded dock.zip and drag and dropped all of the contents. This is my result. It doesn't really matter though, this was on a different hard drive. Another thing, I did a clean instal of OS X 10.5 and downloaded theme park 3.1. Edited the rsrc's fine, but still no progress. Nothing wants to change. Maybe it's all in the artfiles.bin? I just don't know. This is my primary OS though. I used a command line from some website and it made all software that didn't come with the OS frosted, while making all software that did really dark grey, as in Safari.
View attachment 667512
[doublepost=1477273274][/doublepost]If anyone's interested, I have the icon for the modern version of Webkit. All you have to do is drag and drop it to resources in Webkit/Show Package Contents/Resources
You can try replacing the dock file with another from another mac running Leopard

Halibabamindingu

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2015
Would anyone know how to fix this?
Hey mate no need to uninstall or replace nothing. you are right, the sart file is the one that should be replaced. thats due to the fact that Leopard differs from tiger in a way that it only uses progress bar files from extra.rsrc, the other files including traffic lights are stored in sartfile.bin. But theres a workaround until i figure how to decompress leopard sart file.
Type in terminal :
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSUseLeopardWindowValues NO
defaults write -g AppleUseCoreUI -bool NO
Killall Finder
hit enter
that will disable the coreUI and the system will use the extras.rsrc just like Tiger did. that will make the files i sent you work.

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Hey mate no need to uninstall or replace nothing. you are right, the srat file is the one that shopuld be replaced. thats due to the fact that Leopard differs from tiger in a way that it only uses progress bar files from extra.rsrc, the other files including traffic lighjts are stored in sart bin. But theres a workaround until i figure how to decompress leopard sart file.
Type in terminal :
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSUseLeopardWindowValues NO
defaults write -g AppleUseCoreUI -bool NO
Killall Finder
hit enter

Decompressing and recompressing the SArtfile is simple. The only things you need to make sure of is that any of the png resources you replace are 24-bit alpha channel with transparency (save for web in Photoshop, and select both 24-bit and transparency, then save) and that your original SArtFile.bin is the same directory as the art tools when you recompress.

SArtFile is used a bit even when CoreUI is disabled (window frames, for instance)...

Halibabamindingu

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2015
Decompressing and recompressing the SArtfile is simple. The only things you need to make sure of is that any of the png resources you replace are 24-bit alpha channel with transparency (save for web in Photoshop, and select both 24-bit and transparency, then save) and that your original SArtFile.bin is the same directory as the art tools when you recompress.

SArtFile is used a bit even when CoreUI is disabled (window frames, for instance)...

Sartfiles are simple to be decompressed because we have the tool already compiled, and also used even when coreui is disabled,like you said.
Yesterday after a bit of research i figured out that we need to replace Artfile.bin, not SARTFILE.BIN.
That was a problem because the tool provided in GitHUB wasn't compiled, so wouldn't be that simple. All the UI images are inside Artfile.bin, that explains what happend when i replaced the extras.rsrc files and disabled CoreUI via terminal, and yosemite the traffic lights appeared ( the command knocked out Artfile.bin and the system used extras rsrc file instead, just like Tiger used to).
So, Artfile.bin differs from Sartfile.bin and isn't used when coreui is disabled.
If we want something better we must Replace Artfile.bin, it must be decompressed with a different tool from the one used in Sartfile.bin and the tool was nowhere to be found Compiled. But after a long time searching it i found it.
[doublepost=1477758321][/doublepost]Its all a matter of patience now.
Download the tool here
With this tool we wont need to disable coreUI with that terminal command.
Backup Artfile.bin
Copy Artfile.bin to a new folder in desktop
rename it Artfile.original.bin
Copy artFileTool.jar to that folder
Open terminal
type cd and drag the folder, hit enter
type in
java -jar artFileTool.jar -decode ArtFile.original.bin artFiles
All the files will be decoded.

Now, open photoshop and edit file resizing each of the yosemite core pngs so that they fit in leopards.
After doing so, encode back the Bin.
java -jar artFileTool.jar -encode artFiles ArtFile.original.bin ArtFile.bin
Replace the file in system folder now.
Killall Finder

I did a little test with the tool but did not resize the files, just to see if the traffic lights would be replaced.

Last edited:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Sartfiles are simple to be decompressed and used even when coreui is disabled, but Artfile.bin isn't, the tool provided in GitHUB wasn't compiled.
Yesterday after a bit of research i figured out that we need to replace Artfile.bin, not SARTFILE.BIN. All the images are inside Artfile.bin, that explains why when i replace the extras.rsrc files and disabled CoreUI via terminal, i got the traffic lights ( the command knocked out Artfile.bin and the system used extras rsrc file instead, just like Tiger used to).However if we want something better we must Replace Artfile.bin. It must be decompressed with a different tool from the one used in Sartfile.bin and the tool was nowhere to be found Compiled. But after a long time searching it i found it.

I wish I'd known that you were looking for the old ArtFile tool. You could have saved a lot of searching! I know because it took me ages to find the old ArtFile tool. I posted both of the old ArtFile and SArtfile jar tools, zipped in one archive, here about a week ago- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-sierra-theme-for-os-x-leopard.2008099/#post-23768132

ArtFile.bin stores all of the things that Extras.rsrc used for Tiger. SArtFile.bin stores some window frame assets, as well as some other minor assets. I lightened the window frame in Leopard using the SArtFile tools here- https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...for-os-x-leopard.2008099/page-5#post-23789139

If you have a Sierra machine, and haven't done so already, grab ThemeEngine and rip all of the resources for Sierra- https://github.com/alexzielenski/ThemeEngine/releases

Halibabamindingu

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2015
I wish I'd known that you were looking for the old ArtFile tool. You could have saved a lot of searching! I know because it took me ages to find the old ArtFile tool. I posted both of the old ArtFile and SArtfile jar tools, zipped in one archive, here about a week ago- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-sierra-theme-for-os-x-leopard.2008099/#post-23768132

ArtFile.bin stores all of the things that Extras.rsrc used for Tiger. SArtFile.bin stores some window frame assets, as well as some other minor assets. I lightened the window frame in Leopard using the SArtFile tools here- https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...for-os-x-leopard.2008099/page-5#post-23789139

If you have a Sierra machine, and haven't done so already, grab ThemeEngine and rip all of the resources for Sierra- https://github.com/alexzielenski/ThemeEngine/releases
lol iof i kneew you had it. now we just need someone with enough spare time to theme it

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
lol iof i kneew you had it. now we just need someone with enough spare time to theme it

I'm having so much fun with Theme Park that I haven't attempted any mods with the ArtFile at all. I don't miss CoreUI and I can use the Extras.rsrc that I generate in both Tiger and Leopard. I'm not finished yet, but here are shots of both my Tiger iBook 1.33 and my Leopard Powerbook 12 inch 1.5 as they currently stand. I did some editing of the search.bundle file in Tiger to change the Spotlight icon-

Tiger (yes, I need to change the .nib to say Tiger in ATM yet)-

tigermod10-30.png

Leopard-

leopardmod10-30.png

The large push buttons, slider controls, and progress indicators are done as well, and I'm still messing with the toolbar buttons to get them as close to Sierra as possible, but where Tiger/Leopard use the same resources for the buttons, Sierra uses two different sets of resources for theirs. I'm leaving them square for now until I figure out a happy medium for them.

Thanks to all who have shared their work, knowledge, and resources thus far.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I'm having so much fun with Theme Park that I haven't attempted any mods with the ArtFile at all. I don't miss CoreUI and I can use the Extras.rsrc that I generate in both Tiger and Leopard. I'm not finished yet, but here are shots of both my Tiger iBook 1.33 and my Leopard Powerbook 12 inch 1.5 as they currently stand. I did some editing of the search.bundle file in Tiger to change the Spotlight icon-

tigermod10-30.png

Leopard-

leopardmod10-30.png

The large push buttons, slider controls, and progress indicators are done as well, and I'm still messing with the toolbar buttons to get them as close to Sierra as possible, but where Tiger/Leopard use the same resources for the buttons, Sierra uses two different sets of resources for theirs. I'm leaving them square for now until I figure out a happy medium for them.

Great work so far! I really look forward to seeing your finished progress! I think you should start posting in the thread I made for the progress towards the theme, it makes it easier to just kill off this thread and start another

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Great work so far! I really look forward to seeing your finished progress! I think you should start posting in the thread I made for the progress towards the theme, it makes it easier to just kill off this thread and start another

I've already been posting in that thread, and have shared much of what I've been working on, in the form of test builds for other interested parties to try out. I'll continue to post what I've been working on in that thread, as I reach certain milestones. I'm currently digging in and working on the arrows and fixing up the scrollbars, which is going to be a loooooong process...

Reactions: Adamscomputerrepair

Halibabamindingu

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2015

tigermod10-30.png

Leopard-

leopardmod10-30.png

Great work! its awsome.
could you upload the files?
Theres an app for making the leopard finderbar "fake" translucent in the fx5200 graphics on powerbook g4, but idk where 2 download
also, the apple finderbar icon can be replaced if the toolbar is not translucent
Ive done some editing in dock, now text is readable in stacks
photo sharing websites
adult image upload
Download

Last edited:

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Not working well on my PB G4
Is my Resolution too low? Or is it a G4 thing?
These are very old posts, and I'm hesitating on replying. However, no one has answered this and I have discovered the problem. (By the way, the problem was that the new "About This Mac" screen was not showing labels correctly.) Anyway, it's not resolution, and it's not a G4 thing. The problem is that you have only one drive mounted. Normally, the About This Mac screen will not even show the "Startup Disk" section if you only have one disk. But if you have more than one disk mounted, it will show the "Startup Disk" label. So on Adam's PowerBook, he only had one drive mounted. So, due to the way the .nib was edited, he had this problem. The solution is to create a tiny partition from your main drive. Now you have 2 disks mounted, and the About This Mac window will display normally.
EDIT: Sorry, SourceSunTom has described this, I missed that post! Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adamscomputerrepair
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.