Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What model are you ordering?

• iPhone 8 64GB

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • iPhone 8 256GB

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • iPhone 8 Plus 64GB

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • iPhone 8 Plus 256 GB

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • iPhone X 64GB

Votes: 130 33.5%
  • iPhone X 256GB

Votes: 224 57.7%
  • Sticking with my current iPhone

Votes: 23 5.9%

• Total voters

Qwertylizer

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009
Europe
Reactions: Dualica 01

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
So I had pre-booked my iPhone X on 28th. Due to the app and the website not opening until after 10 mins from the opening time, I got a Nov 20-27 delivery slot. I am in The Netherlands. Today, the ‘reserve and pick-up’ opened at 6 AM in the Belgium store. For some reason, ‘reserve and pick-up’ wasn’t allowed in many stores, including the ones in Netherlands. I tried my luck and was able to reserve a 64 GB space grey one at the Brussels store. And right now, I am at the Apple store, setting up my new phone.

I will cancel the pre-order now. So, someone out there will get a bump, hopefully :)

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Went into Apple Store in my country this morning just to feel it. They had <5 64GB Space Gray left from yesterday. So happy to have the X :cool:

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
So I had pre-booked my iPhone X on 28th. Due to the app and the website not opening until after 10 mins from the opening time, I got a Nov 20-27 delivery slot. I am in The Netherlands. Today, the ‘reserve and pick-up’ opened at 6 AM in the Belgium store. For some reason, ‘reserve and pick-up’ wasn’t allowed in many stores, including the ones in Netherlands. I tried my luck and was able to reserve a 64 GB space grey one at the Brussels store. And right now, I am at the Apple store, setting up my new phone.

I will cancel the pre-order now. So, someone out there will get a bump, hopefully :)
My assumption was that making a reservation was possible in the Netherlands, but now that I see from you it's not, I'm kinda glad that I didn't decide to cancel my order to instead make a reservation. Brussels would be too far away for me, since I live in Eindhoven and don't have my drivers license yet.

So thank you for your comment, otherwise I would've made a stupid decision after all haha. :p

Anyway, guess I'll have to wait until December 4-11, unless the delivery date gets moved forward in the meantime of course.

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
My assumption was that making a reservation was possible in the Netherlands, but now that I see from you it's not, I'm kinda glad that I didn't decide to cancel my order to instead make a reservation. Brussels would be too far away for me, since I live in Eindhoven and don't have my drivers license yet.

So thank you for your comment, otherwise I would've made a stupid decision after all haha. :p

Anyway, guess I'll have to wait until December 4-11, unless the delivery date gets moved forward in the meantime of course.
No....let me make it clear. Reserve and pick-up normally starts the day after the official launch, which was today. But this year, it opened only in few countries...Belgium was one of them and Netherlands wasn't. So, you wouldn't have been able to do that in the NL site at 6 AM today anyway.

But hey, you seem to have good news....
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/04/iphone-x-availability-at-apple-stores/
NL is also in the list now. So you might be able to do it from tomorrow.

Keep a watch on iStockNow. Set a notification from there and book one. Perhaps you could try the 7 euro day return ticket to one of the stores in NL if you manage to reserve one.

Good luck anyway. I'm sure your order will move up very soon.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Italy here and still on 21-28 November timeframe...hoping for an improvement but no luck so far. Come on Apple, speed up pre-orders before taking care of the new ones!
I don’t get it either!

Btw did you know every Apple Store business day you can try to reserve an iPhone X for same day pickup at the store? The trick is to try at precisely at 6am to reserve faster than other people competing for that day’s allotment. It seems Apple wants to reward their most dedicated VIP customers: gamers with fast reflexes.

Why not give priority to offering these units to people who “pre-ordered” over a week ago (and perhaps encountered glitches causing delays)?

Last edited:

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
No....let me make it clear. Reserve and pick-up normally starts the day after the official launch, which was today. But this year, it opened only in few countries...Belgium was one of them and Netherlands wasn't. So, you wouldn't have been able to do that in the NL site at 6 AM today anyway.

But hey, you seem to have good news....
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/04/iphone-x-availability-at-apple-stores/
NL is also in the list now. So you might be able to do it from tomorrow.

Keep a watch on iStockNow. Set a notification from there and book one. Perhaps you could try the 7 euro day return ticket to one of the stores in NL if you manage to reserve one.

Good luck anyway. I'm sure your order will move up very soon.
Oh... well even so, the problem is that I spend all my money on the online order. And before I'd have it back we'll be days further. Unless of course it's possible to use your online order to 'replace' it with a reservation order, but I guess that's not an option. :oops:

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008

I was able to reserve today at 6am in Brussels but instead of getting a confirmation it went right back to the main reservation screen and no email confirmation either. This led me on a wild goose chase to contact Apple before the store opened (at 10am — I would have started driving earlier) but Customer Support is closed on weekends here and Tech Support had no clue. I finally decided better to wait. Indeed the Brussels store could not find my reservation/appointment time I scheduled online and had nothing to offer given the circumstances.
[doublepost=1509829383][/doublepost]
Oh... well even so, the problem is that I spend all my money on the online order. And before I'd have it back we'll be days further. Unless of course it's possible to use your online order to 'replace' it with a reservation order, but I guess that's not an option. :oops:
FYI it’s Apple’s policy (in Europe) not to charge before delivery. I don’t know how they’re getting away with charging weeks ahead of delivery. They did the same thing to me.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
I was able to reserve today at 6am in Brussels but instead of getting a confirmation it went right back to the main reservation screen and no email confirmation either. This led me on a wild goose chase to contact Apple before the store opened (at 10am — I would have started driving earlier) but Customer Support is closed on weekends here and Tech Support had no clue. I finally decided better to wait. Indeed the Brussels store could not find my reservation/appointment time I scheduled online and had nothing to offer given the circumstances.
[doublepost=1509829383][/doublepost]
FYI it’s Apple’s policy (in Europe) not to charge before delivery. I don’t know how they’re getting away with charging weeks ahead of delivery. They did the same thing to me.
Well, I paid using iDeal. And with iDeal the money is taken from your bank account the moment you confirm. :p

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
But you don't make any payment while pre-ordering until it it shipped, do you? Sorry...I might be missing something. Even if you had paid using IDEAL, I don't think there is a 'hold' put on the amount (I don't know as I used my credit card and there was a 1 eur deduction while pre-booking and that's it).

Anyway, there is no 'replacing' your pre-order with this one.

EDIT: Okay, just as I posted this, you made the situation clear about IDEAL payment...I didn't know that! That's a bummer :/

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
But you don't make any payment while pre-ordering until it it shipped, do you? Sorry...I might be missing something. Even if you had paid using IDEAL, I don't think there is a 'hold' put on the amount (I don't know as I used my credit card and there was a 1 eur deduction while pre-booking and that's it).

EDIT: Okay, just as I posted this, you made the situation clear about IDEAL payment...I didn't know that! That's a bummer :/
It really is. And it makes me wonder if I should've at least used my debit card to pay, since I do have one. Just didn't want to go through the process of waiting for an hour before money is transferred to it. :rolleyes:

But you know what, it's not that big of a deal. I mean, with all those orders moving forward (at least from what I'm seeing) I expect my iPhone X (64 GB silver) to arrive at least before December. Could be wrong though. But I've had the same thing with the original Apple Watch; expected delivery was half June or so, but I got it just two weeks - in May - after the release (got it delivered at some family from Germany).

This is just what Apple does. They're being very 'conservative' when it comes to delivery dates and other things as well. That's kind of a good thing of course. :)

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008

Still seems to conflict with Apple’s own policy. Maybe their business models clash but then that’s in my view something Apple should work out with iDeal or make clear in their conditions...

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Still seems to conflict with Apple’s own policy. Maybe their business models clash but then that’s in my view something Apple should work out with iDeal or make clear in their conditions...
That's the thing. iDeal is just a third party service that basically 'connects' the banks with any webshop. But let's say that I'm shocked the Apple Online Store doesn't support PayPal. Because that one does hold your payment for at least two days.

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
It really is. And it makes me wonder if I should've at least used my debit card to pay, since I do have one. Just didn't want to go through the process of waiting for an hour before money is transferred to it. :rolleyes:

But you know what, it's not that big of a deal. I mean, with all those orders moving forward (at least from what I'm seeing) I expect my iPhone X (64 GB silver) to arrive at least before December. Could be wrong though. But I've had the same thing with the original Apple Watch; expected delivery was half June or so, but I got it just two weeks - in May - after the release (got it delivered at some family from Germany).

This is just what Apple does. They're being very 'conservative' when it comes to delivery dates and other things as well. That's kind of a good thing of course. :)
Your dates should move ahead...no doubt about that. December seems a long way :)

In then meantime, perhaps keep a watch on the stocks anyway. Now for the 'reserve and pick-up' that I had done at the BE store, I didn't have to make any payment upfront. All I had to do was select the device (colour and capacity) and select a time slot. That's it...no payment or not even credit card or bank details asked at this stage. You make the payment only when you pick the device.

What I'm unsure is....whether NL will also open this kind of 'reserve and pick-up' with no payment made while reserving or would they only allow 'collect at store', which means you pay while you book and then just collect at store instead of getting it delivered. If it is the former, you are lucky. You can reserve, cancel your pre-order and then get the funds back to your bank before you collect the phone.

I think it will most probably the latter though, unfortunately. Because I see this link in the BE store - "Reserveer om iPhone X in een Apple Store te kopen en op te halen. Reserveer nu". No such link in the NL store.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
That's the thing. iDeal is just a third party service that basically 'connects' the banks with any webshop. But let's say that I'm shocked the Apple Online Store doesn't support PayPal. Because that one does hold your payment for at least two days.
Indeed PayPal would be nice. Btw I found Apple does mention specifically about iDeal:

“Het bedrag wordt in zijn geheel afgeschreven zodra u uw bestelling voltooit.” / ~“The amount will be deducted in full as soon as you complete your order.” (https://www.apple.com/nl/shop/help/payments)

Kinda makes iDeal less attractive for this sort of purchase.
[doublepost=1509831040][/doublepost]
Your dates should move ahead...no doubt about that. December seems a long way :)

In then meantime, perhaps keep a watch on the stocks anyway. Now for the 'reserve and pick-up' that I had done at the BE store, I didn't have to make any payment upfront. All I had to do was select the device (colour and capacity) and select a time slot. That's it...no payment or not even credit card or bank details asked at this stage. You make the payment only when you pick the device.

What I'm unsure is....whether NL will also open this kind of 'reserve and pick-up' with no payment made while reserving or would they only allow 'collect at store', which means you pay while you book and then just collect at store instead of getting it delivered. If it is the former, you are lucky. You can reserve, cancel your pre-order and then get the funds back to your bank before you collect the phone.

I think it will most probably the latter though, unfortunately. Because I see this link in the BE store - "Reserveer om iPhone X in een Apple Store te kopen en op te halen. Reserveer nu". No such link in the NL store.
NL has such a link: https://reserve-prime.apple.com/NL/nl_NL/reserve/iPhoneX/availability?channel=1

But when I tried it several times today at 6am nothing came up. If there were something to reserve then it would be possible to find out if pre-payment would be required.

From Eindhoven, Düsseldorf or Oberhausen are closer:
https://reserve-prime.apple.com/DE/de_DE/reserve/iPhoneX/availability?channel=1

(Same results as NL for me this am)

Looks like I’m showing people how to compete with me in coming days, I hope you’re not fast gamers... haha

I learned later today its best to try with Apple Store app

Last edited:

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013

Well, last year when I reserved my iPhone 7 I actually did pay in the store itself. Pretty nice. But that could be different this time of course. I mean, I should not forget that the iPhone 7 was not even near as 'popular' as the iPhone X; when I asked the employee that time about it, he told me I was the first that day getting the iPhone 7 (and it was like 3 PM already).

But anyway, I will definitely keep an eye on the stocks anyway. Just for the sake of getting an idea of the actual stock available. :p

Indeed PayPal would be nice. Btw I found Apple does mention specifically about iDeal:

“Het bedrag wordt in zijn geheel afgeschreven zodra u uw bestelling voltooit.” / ~“The amount will be deducted in full as soon as you complete your order.” (https://www.apple.com/nl/shop/help/payments)

Absolutely true indeed. In fact, anytime I order something and I get to choose between iDeal and PayPal, I choose the latter. And I find it strange anyway that Apple Online Store doesn't support PayPal, considering that the App Store and iTunes Store actually do!

Hopefully Apple changes that soon!

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands

[doublepost=1509831040][/doublepost]
NL has such a link: https://reserve-prime.apple.com/NL/nl_NL/reserve/iPhoneX/availability?channel=1

But when I tried it several times today at 6am nothing came up.

From Eindhoven, Düsseldorf or Oberhausen are closer: https://reserve-prime.apple.com/DE/de_DE/reserve/iPhoneX/availability?channel=1

(Same results as NL for me)

Looks like I’m showing people how to compete with me in coming days, I hope you’re not fast gamers... haha

I learned later today its best to try with Apple Store app
Oh cool...I still can't figure out where I can find that link on the NL website. In the BE site, it was right there at the first page for iPhone X. On hind-sight, it's a good thing I didn't know about the NL one earlier today....I would have missed getting it from BE!

Anyway, keep us updated tomorrow whether you had any luck in playing fastest fingers first :)

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008

Ha you beat me you b@st@rd . J/k but literally I have the exact details as you except I pre-ordered SG then decided to switch to silver for my reservation today but I never got the confirmation and Brussels had no record of my reservation / time I scheduled. It’s been the unluckiest launch ever for me so far. You must have been very fast. I thought once I made it to the screen to schedule appointment I was “in” (of course with confirm) and hesitated just a second on what would be best time to arrive in Brussels.
[doublepost=1509833987][/doublepost]
Oh cool...I still can't figure out where I can find that link on the NL website. In the BE site, it was right there at the first page for iPhone X. On hind-sight, it's a good thing I didn't know about the NL one earlier today....I would have missed getting it from BE!

Anyway, keep us updated tomorrow whether you had any luck in playing fastest fingers first :)
Thanks, I have little hope for Sunday (will try NL. BE & DE stores closed). I am not a gamer but will play lots of video games and drink a pot of coffee to get amped up Monday AM for the win! :D

Last edited:

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
Ha you beat me you b@st@rd . J/k but literally I have the exact details as you except I pre-ordered SG then decided to switch to silver for my reservation today but I never got the confirmation and Brussels had no record of my reservation / time I scheduled. It’s been the unluckiest launch ever for me so far. You must have been very fast. I thought once I made it to the screen to schedule appointment I was “in” (of course with confirm) and hesitated just a second on what would be best time to arrive in Brussels
Ha ha...I had learnt my lessons from pre ordering on how few precious seconds could push the delivery by weeks. So this time I decided the colour and time slot in advance and just went clickety-click and was done in few seconds. Sorry :). I'm never lucky with these things. So I was pleasantly surprised with myself today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.