Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Have had my Pixel 2 for 2 years after having iPhones for years. Wanted something different, and was tired of buying practically the same phone in a new shell. Im now not biased to either phone and when the Pixel and iPhones come out I will make my decision then. Currently loving my Pixel but do miss some stuff syncing between my iPad and Mac.
The bold proved indispensable for me.

Reactions: drmeatball

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I am tired by apple, but dont want pwm plagued phone.. so if there will be any flagship without pwm, I am in... but until that I will probably end with ip 8 plus:(
Is it something you've tested or go by what you hear online? It's not even noticeable and shouldn't be a reason not to get something you like just because some had troubles with it. Not everybody does.

Reactions: Wide opeN

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Is it something you've tested or go by what you hear online? It's not even noticeable and shouldn't be a reason not to get something you like just because some had troubles with it. Not everybody does.
Sure, i feel pain just after watching on s10/note10 screen for a minute or so:(

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
Question for you Android users. Can you insert a micro SD that many of the phones have a read files from the SD card on your phone? For example say I have a camera and would like to view the video I just took with my camera on my phone. Do Android phones have the ability to treat the files on a micro SD card as actual file folders with jpgs or mp4's etc?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Question for you Android users. Can you insert a micro SD that many of the phones have a read files from the SD card on your phone? For example say I have a camera and would like to view the video I just took with my camera on my phone. Do Android phones have the ability to treat the files on a micro SD card as actual file folders with jpgs or mp4's etc?
Quick answer, yes. In reality, it’s not practical as you have to eject the sim slot or remove the battery to insert the microSD. Doing this more than once is highly annoying. Easier to just get a USB OTG dongle and/or External SSD card reader.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
I'm a former iPhone user who converted to Android. I currently have the Pixel 3XL. I LOVE the camera. I do like the ability to make the phone distinctly mine as opposed to being able to only change the wallpaper on iOS. That being said I do miss some aspects of iOS like iMessages. It's been so long since I've toyed around with iOS that I'd be lost for a bit. I think my last phone was the 7 Plus.

SocialKonstruct

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Midvale, UT
I use both but I prefer my Asus ROG Phone 2. 1 TB storage plus better battery life and more flexibility. I copied my iTunes collection to it so hopefully I can test it this week to see how it performs at school.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
I was curious about Android and nine months ago I found the prices for new iPhones here in Europe to be too high and the phones too large for my liking (seeing as I was using the original iPhone SE). So I did some research and purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S10e. A bit of a learning curve but nothing too difficult. Nine months later I am still enjoying the Galaxy and miss nothing from iOS. I was never trapped in the iMessages fiasco that seems to be a ball and chain to many North American iPhone users and continued to use Whats App. I have always used a paid Google Photos account as a backup to Apple Photos and stopped using Apple Mail pretty much a couple of years ago when I started with Proton Mail (and Gmail for a few things).

So far I receive monthly software and security updates like clockwork. I realise I won't receive them for as long as I would on an iPhone but I will deal with that when the time comes.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I've recently switched from an iPhone X to an S20+. Probably worth noting that I've been an iPhone user exclusively since day 1 (I got my original iPhone on launch day in 2007).

I just got fed up with the constant issues, and poor software quality. The hardware was still fantastic, but iOS recently has had so many bugs, and Apple's limitations means there's very limited opportunity to work around them. The battery life on my iPhone X was also getting terrible despite a battery health of 95%. I tried putting a new battery in, which made no difference. Tried a restore - the same.

The final straw was iCloud. I was living happily in Apple's ecosystem. Then reminders stopped syncing. Then iCloud Photo Library decided that I wasn't allowed to download my original photos. At that point, I decided I'd had enough. Got all of my data and slowly moved it out of iCloud and back into self-managed things, platform independant things (e.g. ownCloud, photos into Piwigo, calendars/contacts into ownCloud via cal/carddav).

Since moving to android, I've had no problems whatsoever. Bit of a learning curve, but I made sure that everything worked how I wanted in the simulator before I purchased it. And the best thing is that I have the freedom to do what I want. E.g. I can manually remove crud that I don't need (samsung dex/pay for example) to save battery life.

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
I had all the iPhones from the initial release until the XR. Through work I ended up testing a Pixel 4XL, and now an S20 Ultra. The latter has been awesome. I think the biggest for me was boredom. I was an all Apple person up until a year ago. The 13"MBP I had was problematic, and so were the replacements. So that really started it, and move to non-Apple hardware there, now the S20.

Haven't missed anything really. The S20 has an amazing screen. OneUI is actually pretty nice, so I don't miss IOS at all. Notifications are better, response is just as good, if not better, and the apps are pretty close. Admittedly IOS apps are a little more polished, but I don't notice any degradation in functionality.

I think Apple isn't what it used to be. I mean you can't replace Steve Jobs, but I don't think Tim Cook has really done much to wow people either. The keyboard issues on the MacBook's was huge disappointment. Then when they fixed them they touted it like it was a new feature...

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
I think Apple isn't what it used to be. I mean you can't replace Steve Jobs, but I don't think Tim Cook has really done much to wow people either. The keyboard issues on the MacBook's was huge disappointment. Then when they fixed them they touted it like it was a new feature...
I couldn't believe Apple's arrogance and complete disregard for its customers. Flogging a defective product for three years after they knew it was defective. Total BS and giving the big Cupertino finger to the customers (the life and blood of the company). Karma will be getting them good at one point. Nothing goes on forever.

ratdog07067

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
Better question. Has anyone switched from Apple to Android then back to Apple? And why?

I've done that. My wife (iPhone) and son (iPad) both use Apple devices so when I am on Android we have to use FBMessenger to communicate. That's not such a big deal, but when my son needs to request an app or screen time or anything like that I only get notified on the iPad. Nearly all of my friends and family use iMessage so when I'm on Android the group chats get a little funky. Plus the Apple Watch - WearOS and Tizen have a long way to go.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I've done that. My wife (iPhone) and son (iPad) both use Apple devices so when I am on Android we have to use FBMessenger to communicate. That's not such a big deal, but when my son needs to request an app or screen time or anything like that I only get notified on the iPad. Nearly all of my friends and family use iMessage so when I'm on Android the group chats get a little funky. Plus the Apple Watch - WearOS and Tizen have a long way to go.

Yes iMessage is so much better at handling group text. SMS is such a mess in regards to that. Plus Apple Watch is hands down the best smart watch. Would it hurt Google to make Android Wear good (or at least usable)?

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I technically did NOT use an iPhone. I was using an iPod Touch 3 (so "iPhone Slim" :p). That was roughly the time I got my first smartphone. I went Android because 1) I wanted to try something new (an iPhone would be pretty much an iPod Touch with vibration, cellular, and admittedly, far more power and iPhone only features), 2) my tech friends raved about it, and 3) there were were a couple of apps that were Android only.

I got a Samsung Galaxy s2. It was awesome. I liked the interface of being able to tuck away the actual apps into an "apps drawer", and putting out only the apps you use often into a shortcut home screen. Being able to put up custom wallpaper, create folders (although TBF, ios4 allowed you to created folders now), an actual file browser system, and micro SD card slot, were nice touches. It would be quite a while before the Iph6 came out to introduce screens bigger than 4". I ended up getting an IpT4 and IpT5. Camera was better, but an iPhone would've had a great camera as well.

Samsung Galaxy s4 had a later version of Android OS added more features, and made it nicer to use. I only replaced this because I dropped and damaged it, got it fixed, dropped and damaged it a 2nd time, but fixing it a 2nd time messed up the touch screen.

The IpT6 had the same, dinky, 4" screen as the IpT5, marking the first time I did NOT get a new IpT (previously, better screen was one major factor... Retina, to +1"). However, I did get a discounted iPad Air (1) at some point.

Back to phones... I ended up getting an LG G4. Also awesome. Still using a micro SD card to store photos, videos, and documents. Here, I purchased several spare batteries, and did end up swapping them out when I went on travel (I also had a battery pack). I dreaded the bootloop defect, but it never hit me. Even across 2 different LG G4's. Why 2 of these phones? The rear facing camera ended up getting blurry. Trying out other camera apps didn't help, so I suspected it to be a hardware issue. First time I replaced the phone, I thought it was an anomaly, but it did hit a 2nd time. I guess I could just replace the camera (research shows this isn't too hard to do), but at this point, it may come back yet again, and I may as well get just a new phone (which I still put off).

Like many others, I've been put off by the iPhone's very high prices. I'm sure they're great, but I'd rather spend much less money for a phone that'll still do most of what I'd like anyways. On a related note, my budget for phones has been $300 or less... new or used, so I'm not interested in top-of-the-line Android phones either. I use Windows. The only Apple stuff I have are an IpT5, and Ipad Air. Both of which very old, so I have practically no use for the seamless integration between Apple products, and low ties to the Apple ecosystem.

For my actual next phone, I'll have to compare and contrast what Samsung and LG have to offer in the $200 to $500 price range.

Better question. Has anyone switched from Apple to Android then back to Apple? And why?
To get better responses, you may want to consider making a separate thread for this

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Because Android allows me to customize my phone to suit my tastes.

Been a min since this thread been open!

But I don’t know if customization is the answer for me, I look at Android from a power user perspective... I think when Apple revamped Multitasking for iPad with iOS 11, I started to look seriously at Android. iOS began to start looking stale... I’m glad Apple decided to spice things up with widgets on iOS 14. But I’m more of a power user and I like how Android caters to those kind of users.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I made the switch to Android from my iPhone SE for a few reasons... top of the list was, value and variety.

I've owned some neat Android phones... like the Sharp Aquos Crystal and LG Stylo 3... each were only $150 (no contract, no subsidy). My current phone, Galaxy A20, feels like a flagship phone but cost under $200. I connect a pocketable folding bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse and can use it to for productivity on the go, cast the screen when needed. Very versatile.

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
I had several android phones but I didn't like the clutter on the system. Which is strange, because I've been using Linux at home for years.

First I got the old iP5S but I gave it back because iOS was too candy.

Then I tried a second time and he stayed with me. Over time, I replaced it with a new SE, after which I got the old iP8 again.

Marking and writing annoy me, miss the letters, autocorrect in my native language was driving me crazy. The Maps app is so lame I understand why it can't be rated on the Appstore.

But the worst crap is iTunes. I keep an ancient Windows laptop for him.

I tried a Mac mini but it returned for technical reasons. Then came the reflection that this is absurd money for a computer that does not even have a meaningful file manger ... Plus Music that wanted to convert my .wav files from my CDs and Photos that wanted to cut down my long collections ...

No, I will not build the Apple ecosystem - it is too expensive for me and wants to impose too much on me.

I sell an iPad Air which is ok but was an expensive whim in my case.

I ordered an Android phone, although I am afraid of this system, but if it convinces me within 14 days, the iPhone 8 will change hands.

The ordered Xperia 5 II includes an 18 W charger, headphones, mini-jack, RGB notification LED and a memory card slot.

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
I always keep coming back to iPhone. Maybe it’s just because of the perceived Premium nature of Apple devices?

I admit I do love the customization of Android. Apple is getting better, but I’m not a fan of the App Library at all.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Apple seems to be going subscription for everything now.. might come back pretty soon.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
As an Android user, there's always that temptation to go to iPhone route. Considering that my phone has become an extremely important device, from banking to health care, it carries critical private data. Apple's focus on privacy has become a great draw for me.

However, every single step, Apple made it extremely more costly to buy iPhones. The cheapest iPhone, 2020 SE, starts at ~USD $500 in my country. That's not cheap. Add on the fact that Apple took out the earpods and chargers. It's ultra annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.