Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
First, as a current Fantastical for mac user, that price is ludicrous. I know it's not a perfect comparison, but they're in console game price territory. I can't imagine this calendar app cost as much to make as a console game. For a more direct comparison, this approaches the cost of Office 365, which offers a ton more features per dollar.

What's more, with all the integration features, you pretty much have to also buy the ipad and/or iphones apps to really enjoy everything this app has to offer. That's another $7, $3, or $11 for both, added on.

Second, what really attracted me to the current Fantastical for mac is that it's complements the Calendar that is built in, and doesn't try to replace it. It just gives me an easy way to see my upcoming events in a list format, and gives me an easy way to add events. This new app seems to be striving to be an entire replacement for calendar, and I do not like that nor need it. The calendar built into OS X is good - it just needs a good companion app sometimes.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Looks & runs great, shame about the price point. Seems like not a lot of research was done on that aspect.

I'd love an upgrade from the very dated v1, but I don't see how that cost is justified at all.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
At $9.99 = 100% buy, at $19.99 = 50% buy, and at $39.99 = 0% buy. Don't get me wrong, for some people it might be necessary. I always pay for my apps and will pay good money for good apps. But as other's have said, iCal is fine and does everything I need it to.

These guys are pricing their stuff like 'Things' now...

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Now I am not sure what to do about Fantastical 1. Do I continue to use it even though it looks funky in Yosemite, or just suck it up and use the built in Calendar app. Paying $40-50 is out of the question for me, I don't use it often enough to justify that. What a bummer.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
What OSX really needs is better integration with Exchange calendars (and email, and addresses, and ...) that is on par with iOS' integration level.

I don't care about the calendar app if it doesn't synch meetings.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I think Flexibits should take note...not a single post on this thread has suggested the price point is good.

It's way overpriced and people will continue to post about the pricing rather than how good the app might be.

Where do you want the focus Flexibits? Price or App!

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
i really like this app for the iPhone, supply and demand, so nobody buy it, wait and the price will drop :D
(MacRumors, bundle this in your App deal package)

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
I, for one, am shocked that Flexibits would dare charge a price for a niche software product that can sustain a small business.

This thread is a perfect case study on how the App Store's race-to-the-bottom pricing has created a group of consumers who feel entitled to quality work for an unrealistic price - developers' time and livelihoods be damned.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I think Flexibits should take note...not a single post on this thread has suggested the price point is good.

It's way overpriced and people will continue to post about the pricing rather than how good the app might be.

Where do you want the focus Flexibits? Price or App!

This place freaks out any time an app is released that costs more than $0.99 or any time a developer issues a new version with a paid upgrade built in.

Quite honestly, if you have to think about the price for too long the app just wasn't meant for you. That isn't a bad thing. For many (most probably) the default calendar app is fine. This app targets the same kind of market of user that hasn't hesitated to shell out $50 for BusyCal, which, unsurprisingly, people here also had an issue with.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I, for one, am shocked that Flexibits would dare charge a price for a niche software product that can sustain a small business.

This thread is a perfect case study on how the App Store's race-to-the-bottom pricing has created a group of consumers who feel entitled to quality work for an unrealistic price - developers' time and livelihoods be damned.

I don't think this thread represents Flexibits' target audience. For the average person, $40 for a calendar application is absurd. For a business owner, $40 isn't that outrageous.

mattjohnson78

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
Southern California
Yes I will say it is over priced but its a great app and does so much more than the stock calendar app. But when you need something with more for both personal and work this is great and well worth the money. My main apps on my Mac are Fantastical 2 and OmniFocus, which I use together for both work and home.

So if you want great apps and continued support and updates you need to pay. I have had to change apps many times because of lack of support and updates so now I pay good money for apps and have yet to be disappointed. Support the developers and spend money if you can, if not don't complain when the app stops being developed and you need to start looking for a new app.

Also I will say Fantastical 2 for Mac looks great.

cmdrmac

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
IA, USA
Quite honestly, if you have to think about the price for too long the app just wasn't meant for you. That isn't a bad thing. For many (most probably) the default calendar app is fine... which, unsurprisingly, people here also had an issue with.

I agree with this sentiment. I think the app is definitely well thought out, well designed and definitely worth the money - if you need it. I use Fantastical on my iOS devices more than I do on my MBP. Nice thing is that I can use Fantastical on my work phone and it will add appointments to my Outlook calendar on my work laptop easily. For me, I can't justify this app for only home use - but I could if my work laptop was a Mac.

Either way - At this price point, I have to think whether I absolutely need it, or can I get by with just the built-in calendar app on my MBP, or continue using Fantastical 1 for as long as it can work in Yosemite and beyond.

cowtownapple

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
OSX solution

what are the chances of the built-in apple calendar, mail, and reminders apps merging at some point in the future a la Outlook? I like both, but would love to have a seamless, native app for managing appointments, tasks, etc.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Rubbish.

I have no qualms with paying full price for quality software, and I simply don't see fantastical 2 being worth $50 SG dollars (after the discount). To put things in context, this app is more pricey than text expander and pdf pen, and I don't see its functionality reaching anywhere near that.

I paid for iworks for Mac and iOS before they were free. I paid full price for the iPhone and iPad version of fantastical, and frankly, I hated the iPad version, because I find the UI confusing and bloated.

You may need to charge a premium price to sustain the niche demand for your product, it doesn't make your product any more worth it as a result. I have purchased a ton of paid apps for iOS and osx and would like very much to support developers, but they must first charge a fair price before I will support them.

I may consider picking one up if and when it does a 50% discount like it is famous for doing, but not definitely at those prices today.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
What I'm willing to pay for software is relative to how quickly they'll "pay for themselves". I paid the $20 for Tweetbot for Mac because I'm constantly on Twitter, so I've gotten a ton of usage out of that app. Same goes for OmniFocus for Mac. When you use something often enough, the initial cost stops being a factor rather quickly.

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Yes I will say it is over priced but its a great app and does so much more than the stock calendar app. But when you need something with more for both personal and work this is great and well worth the money. My main apps on my Mac are Fantastical 2 and OmniFocus, which I use together for both work and home.

So if you want great apps and continued support and updates you need to pay. I have had to change apps many times because of lack of support and updates so now I pay good money for apps and have yet to be disappointed. Support the developers and spend money if you can, if not don't complain when the app stops being developed and you need to start looking for a new app.

Same here. OmniFocus is just another great example. Some say it has a skyrocketed price tag and think Reminders is what they ever need, and of course the price tag is steep for those. But there are also people that have found ways that these "niche" apps actually help in their daily life. Hmm.
;)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

That actually sounds like blackmail to me.

"Oh, I am going to charge through the roof for my app and you better pay me for it, otherwise I won't update my app ever."

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I must really be behind the times, I find the default OS X Calendar application sufficient :/

i use the default OS X app and it syncs well with my iOS default app. I too find this sufficient. we mut both be old fuddy duddies....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.