Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I'm sure the Mac version is awesome, but it's more than I want to spend for a calendar. I do use Fantastical on my iPhone and I really like it. Even though my Mac and iPhone calendars are in sync, I tend to refer to my iPhone calander more than the calendar on my Mac, so I'll stick with the stock calendar on my Macs. I'm sure the developer put much work into the new product, but it's just too expensive for my purposes.

PJL500

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
$40- for the update from v.1?

That's insane. I'd pay maybe $8- tops to update. I like it on iPad and iPhone but no way is it worth all that money. Apple's Calendar is fine too.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Care to explain? I used the Mac calendar app/Reminders and Fantastical for iOS and all I needed was iCloud. And now the Fantastical apps sync as well, of course.
I'm saying that if I buy Fantastical on Mac, I still can't use Fantastical on my iPhone or iPad. This creates a break in functionality and usability. Whereas the stock calendar app is on all my devices and any event created on one automatically appears in the other and there is no break in functionality or usability because the same app is being used on all devices. It would be easier if Fantastical came as a bundle with Mac, iPhone + iPad (The app is not universal on iOS, which is pretty messed up in my opinion but whatever). Pay once, use same app across all devices.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Imagine an OS X update where Apple buys the best of replacements for all of the stock OS X apps, refines them to work together seamlessly (so they can be true replacements without popular feature tradeoffs) and then rolls out THAT OS X. I'd love to see solid replacements for Mail, Calendar, Font Book, Calculator, Contacts, etc just for starters.

There's some great third party apps out there- like this one- but if they could be (Apple) internalized so that they work well with each other and evolving Apple services in a full way, I imagine THAT version of an OS X would be HOT!!!

Release

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
Is there any reason why the reminders only show upon the sidebar but NOT the main window?? That makes no sense to me. I use reminders for daily "to-do's". I've looked and I can't find a way to see them in the main view.

Not a big deal as I use BusyCal but I'm a fan of Fantastical on iOS.

gregor.hoch

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
Couple of thoughts:

1) The price is high but would be okay for a quality product. The problem I have with this company is that they haven't been very good about updates.

2) This is clearly another infomercial from MacRumors! The CEO told us "while the original Fantastical app reinvented calendar apps, the new update reinvents Fantastical". That's their advertising headline. Why am I coming back to this crappy site!?

andrea81

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
I'm saying that if I buy Fantastical on Mac, I still can't use Fantastical on my iPhone or iPad. This creates a break in functionality and usability. Whereas the stock calendar app is on all my devices and any event created on one automatically appears in the other and there is no break in functionality or usability because the same app is being used on all devices. It would be easier if Fantastical came as a bundle with Mac, iPhone + iPad (The app is not universal on iOS, which is pretty messed up in my opinion but whatever). Pay once, use same app across all devices.

I'm sorry, but have you EVER used Fantastical? It uses standard calendar protocols as backbone (Apple, Google, any CalDav). So if you create an event on Fantastical on a platform, it will sync and you'll be able to see it on other platforms even if you use the stock apps. No break in functionality whatsoever.
It is not "the same app", they are different apps individually conceived and coded, and deserving to be individually paid if you want all of them. It's simple as that.

----------

Is there any reason why the reminders only show upon the sidebar but NOT the main window?? That makes no sense to me. I use reminders for daily "to-do's". I've looked and I can't find a way to see them in the main view.

They do appear in the main window to me... look at the image on the official site: https://flexibits.com/fantastical there's the "book hotel" reminder in the main window under "tomorrow 3/26/15".

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
A discount for Fantstical 1 faithful users would be greately appreciated ...

Indeed. Especially since they sell it from their site as well (I've bought first version there), so mac app store is not the problem this time. Just look at panic.com and their products.

I feel betrayed, since I own iOS version as well. Gonna stick with first version as long as I can. It works for now, so I don't need an upgrade. But when I do, it won't be fantastical that's for sure. Too greedy, so cya to fantastical developers, thanks for being awfully greedy.

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
I see no benefit over the standard calendar app on OS X / iOS. Also, things like Siri integration do not work.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I'm sorry, but have you EVER used Fantastical? It uses standard calendar protocols as backbone (Apple, Google, any CalDav). So if you create an event on Fantastical on a platform, it will sync and you'll be able to see it on other platforms even if you use the stock apps. No break in functionality whatsoever.
If you read the post he was responding to originally, I clearly state that I know it adds events to the stock calendar apps. The "break" I described is using fantastical on one device and using the stock app on another. This is a break. To get around this break, you need buy the other two apps.

It is not "the same app", they are different apps individually conceived and coded, and deserving to be individually paid if you want all of them. It's simple as that.
But I don't have to do this for the stock calendar app, even though each app is individually coded as well.

Listen, you don't have to agree with me, and I'm not trying to convince anyone that they shouldn't buy the app. I'm just pointing out why some people, myself included, may choose not to buy Fantastical.

AppleGuyz

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
This "discount" coupled with the fact that 1 week ago I asked if they were going to have an update with Yosemite features and they gave a canned jerk off response means I won't be updating right away. They commonly bundled fantastical anyways.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Imagine an OS X update where Apple buys the best of replacements for all of the stock OS X apps, refines them to work together seamlessly (so they can be true replacements without popular feature tradeoffs) and then rolls out THAT OS X. I'd love to see solid replacements for Mail, Calendar, Font Book, Calculator, Contacts, etc just for starters.

There's some great third party apps out there- like this one- but if they could be (Apple) internalized so that they work well with each other and evolving Apple services in a full way, I imagine THAT version of an OS X would be HOT!!!

That's generally not Apple's M.O. They create their own software from the ground. It's possible there's more but the only time I've known them to take outside existing software and refine it for the Mac was Sherlock (formerly known as Alfred) and Coverflow.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Never seen it before, thought it looked really nice so kept scrolling to see the price...

Yeah I'm not buying. At $10 I'd have tried it. For a Calendar app - when there is already a built in one that works really well and syncs across all my family's devices - their price is crazy.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Unfortunately it requires Yosemite, so I'll stick to the first Fantastical.

Unfortunately for YOU it requires Yosemite. I happen to love Yosemite and like it much more than any previous OS X versions.....save for Tiger which was the best and most stable version of OS X ever right from the first 10.4.0 version.

Breadman86

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
Huntsville, AL, USA
The second I heard it was out I knew it would be an instant purchase. I watched the video and became even more excited. Then saw the price. What? Really?

As others in the thread have said, a discount for current fantastical owners would be welcome. I own this on iPhone, iPad, and have the first version on Desktop that I've consistently wished had a more Yosemite-like UI look.

But $40?

I'll pass. $20 would be an instant-buy. I think I got the original Fantastical on mac for $10 on a sale and quickly realized I would have been willing to spend more if they came out with a second version. But $40? Gracious.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Never seen it before, thought it looked really nice so kept scrolling to see the price...

Yeah I'm not buying. At $10 I'd have tried it. For a Calendar app - when there is already a built in one that works really well and syncs across all my family's devices - their price is crazy.

I'm all for 3rd party software for OS X as it gives us more options, but I wouldn't even pay $10 just to "try" the Fantastical app. Heck it's basically a calendar app. I would check it out on YouTube first to see if it does more than Apple's Calendar app to warrant paying for it.

Release

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012

----------

They do appear in the main window to me... look at the image on the official site: https://flexibits.com/fantastical there's the "book hotel" reminder in the main window under "tomorrow 3/26/15".

Thanks, but I meant the main window to the right, the big one. I was hoping that reminders would show up there. Oh well, I'll stick with BusyCal since it does things the way I need.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
No way am I spending $40 for software to run on my $1700 iMac. :rolleyes:

Pirates, Cheapskates and people that only buy mobile apps who don't understand economies of scale.

they should look at the cost of some of my software...

Smoke - £1,300
Cinema 4D - £3,120
Maya Suite - £4.800
Nuke Studio - £5,600
Adobe CC - £50 a month.

in fact all the software I own is more than twice the price of my mac Pro 12core max'ed out.

----------

Unfortunately for YOU it requires Yosemite. I happen to love Yosemite and like it much more than any previous OS X versions.....save for Tiger which was the best and most stable version of OS X ever right from the first 10.4.0 version.

In fairness... the dude might just have a 2008 machine that can't be upgraded now... I am in the same boat with some of my older Pro's and iMacs

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I use Fantastical on iOS and I like it but I use BusyCal on Mac. I don't see any reason to change.

paulfj

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
$40?!?! Nope.

I love Fantastical 2. Paid for it on my iPhone and it sits in Pole Position (top left, 1st screen). It's that good. But for my Mac? I'd probably, begrudgingly pay again. But $40? Never gonna happen. Maybe, just maybe $10. I've always got my phone on me, and can easily pull my calendar up there. Again, I love this app, but not all of us Apple fans are rolling around in money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.