Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I think Flexibits should take note...not a single post on this thread has suggested the price point is good.

It's way overpriced and people will continue to post about the pricing rather than how good the app might be.

Where do you want the focus Flexibits? Price or App!

Will go to $ 25 within MacUpdate package if one waits long enough.

OS X Calendar FTW.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Couldn't they just send out codes?

EDIT: Oh I guess it's free or nothing with promo codes.

I was wrong about this anyway, there's a non-MAS version with the usual licensing system with codes. So no reason there can't be an upgrade price.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
This place freaks out any time an app is released that costs more than $0.99 or any time a developer issues a new version with a paid upgrade built in.

Quite honestly, if you have to think about the price for too long the app just wasn't meant for you. That isn't a bad thing. For many (most probably) the default calendar app is fine. This app targets the same kind of market of user that hasn't hesitated to shell out $50 for BusyCal, which, unsurprisingly, people here also had an issue with.

I think the app is meant for me, I have all 3 versions (iPad, iPhone and Mac)!

I also don't think most people on here are complaining because it's a paid upgrade, they are complaining because of the ridiculous price.

I believe developers should reap rewards for the effort they put in but at the same time you need a good pricing structure for the type of app you are developing. However Flexibits wants to dress it up, it is just a calendar app...no more!

They also charge for each app individually as well and that's fine but their current pricing model for this release will not work if they are hoping for reasonable sales.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I, for one, am shocked that Flexibits would dare charge a price for a niche software product that can sustain a small business.

This thread is a perfect case study on how the App Store's race-to-the-bottom pricing has created a group of consumers who feel entitled to quality work for an unrealistic price - developers' time and livelihoods be damned.

Well two things. First, I think most people would pay $40 dollars for the app, if it included the iPhone and iPad apps rather than having to pay more for functionality included in other calendar apps. Additionally, everyone has seen that Flexbits will update this app and the other two apps and again charge full price for all, separately, in another year. It creates a quasi-subscription model, which people are understandably put off by.

Secondly, I think it has little to do with the "race to the bottom" mentality and more to do with Apple's own aggressive iCloud feature building. My stock calendar app works across devices with absolutely nothing needed besides iCloud turned on. Fantastical doesn't. (And yes I realize it will add events to your stock calendar. But if I'm going to use a different calendar, I want to use it no matter what device I'm using.) From a value proposition, paying for something that has less functionality across multiple devices than the stock calendar app, is a non-starter for many people.

I was wrong about this anyway, there's a non-MAS version with the usual licensing system with codes. So no reason there can't be an upgrade price.
Ah gotcha. Yeah that's unfortunate.

flowsy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
Germany
I know it's not a perfect comparison, but they're in console game price territory. I can't imagine this calendar app cost as much to make as a console game.

I don't think it has this kind of outreach as a calendar app. And that future possible user base should be a big factor in their calculation.

Heck, I paid more for my iPhone 6 Plus leather case (€ 45,-), so if I'll find this application useful - like my leather case - it will be worth it. Damn, I'd even pay for the Tweetbot Mac update, but they want to give it to me for free. :)

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I like the iPhone app version of Fantastical 2 but the desktop version is way to expensive for a calendar. I agree with most commentators, iCal from Apple itself is sufficient and will do the job in pretty much the most cases.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I, for one, am shocked that Flexibits would dare charge a price for a niche software product that can sustain a small business.

This thread is a perfect case study on how the App Store's race-to-the-bottom pricing has created a group of consumers who feel entitled to quality work for an unrealistic price - developers' time and livelihoods be damned.

I fully agree that the race to the bottom is bad (let's not forget that was instigated by the developers themselves!) and developers should be paid for their work.

However it's all relative and $50 for a calendar app is not a realistic pricing model. A sensible price point for both the consumer and the developers I feel would be $20-$25.

flowsy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
Germany
My stock calendar app works across devices with absolutely nothing needed besides iCloud turned on. Fantastical doesn't. (And yes I realize it will add events to your stock calendar. But if I'm going to use a different calendar, I want to use it no matter what device I'm using.) From a value proposition, paying for something that has less functionality across multiple devices than the stock calendar app, is a non-starter for many people.

Care to explain? I used the Mac calendar app/Reminders and Fantastical for iOS and all I needed was iCloud. And now the Fantastical apps sync as well, of course.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
I think they outpriced their customer base.
I too bought the original. It's really doest streamline some processes - but I won't drop another $50. I think i paid $14 or $19 for the first version.

Don't see the value in this proposition, considering I got Yosemite for free - this isn't that much of a value added product (original fantastical still works just fine).

jobesucks

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Just playing with the trial, and it doesnt sync all my previous google calendar entries, only ones i put in from now. Apart from that the price is absurd

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
$40 is definitely steep for a calendar app. I love Fantastical 1 and the little menu bar icon but whoa. If Sunrise added Exchange support to the desktop version, I'd be happy. I just downloaded the 2 week trial to see if this will really be worth it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
No special "Thanks for buying Fantastical 1 - have a discount on Fantastical 2!" pricing?

Apple should just buy Fantastical and replace the Calendar app built into OS X with it.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
wow, it's currently $50AUD and that's with the 20% off?!

What were they thinking when they priced this? Yes it's probably a very nice calendar app - but it's just a calendar app!

Such a shame it's so badly overpriced. I guarantee they'd more than quadruple their market if they make it a flat $10.

If they quadruple their market at $10, they would come out with less money. $10 x 4 = $40... compared to the $50 they get now! :eek:

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
When it comes off sale it'll be roughly the same pricing as apps like 1password, think about that.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I got Yosemite for free

That's not even remotely a comparable scenario.

There's a huge number of reasons Yosemite is free:
1 - Apple sells hardware, not software. You pay more for a Mac than you would for a comparable PC because of the included software. So long as your Mac can handle the update, you can have the update. Once that update starts feeling sluggish, you'll buy new hardware.
2 - Apple wants the software on their computers to take advantage of the latest hardware (IE, retina screens, force touch, taptic). For developers to do that, they need to be able to use the latest APIs. But for them to do that, customers need the latest OS.
3 - Apple doesn't want to have to maintain old OSs (the way Microsoft had to maintain XP up until 2013.) It's expensive, time consuming, and, take it from me as a software engineer, boring and lame as ****. Imagine being asked for your resume and the person asks "You were responsible for developing Windows XP... in 2013...?"

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don't think this thread represents Flexibits' target audience. For the average person, $40 for a calendar application is absurd. For a business owner, $40 isn't that outrageous.

A forum site with a broad spectrum of consumers, from students to professionals to artists to business owners, with the common thread of all being Apple users doesn't represent the target audience of software written exclusively for Apple products?

Also, the key feature of this app, using natural text to create events, is useful to anyone, not just business owners.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I own Fantastical 1 for Mac, Fantastical 1 for iPhone, Fantastical 1 for iPad, Fantastical 2 for iPhone, and Fantastical 2 for iPad.

I am a sucker for cool UI and I purchased Fantastical mainly for that reason. My calendaring need is just not advanced enough to justify spending $40-50 for a calendar app.

Having said that, it looks like folks at Flexibits put a ton of work making Fantastic 2 for Mac. I especially love multiple calendar sets.

andrea81

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
No special "Thanks for buying Fantastical 1 - have a discount on Fantastical 2!" pricing?

Apple should just buy Fantastical and replace the Calendar app built into OS X with it.

The introductory sale is meant for everyone.
In the thread about the announcement I said I read somewhere they don't believe in upgrade discounts and somebody told I was wrong... apparently not :rolleyes:

I bought it. I expected a lower price as well but I believe it won't bring me to bankrupt after all, and I can start using this fantastic software today. Whoever thinks it's too much can use the older version, the stock app or wait for a bundle sale (I thought I got two or three copies of Fantastical 1 through bundles - it's probably bound to happen again). I don't see the reason for complaining so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.