Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
As charfr states, no need to change your hardware. However, if you do upgrade the firmware then you can upgrade the CPU/s (single CPU use W3680 or W3690, or dual CPU setup use X5680's or X5690's) if you so choose - otherwise leave your existing CPU/s in place. And an added bonus of the firmware upgrade is your ram speeds increase from 1066 to 1333MHz (providing your ram meets this spec).

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^ But, if unfragile updates to Sierra or beyond, Wi/Fi may or may not work without a BT Wi/Fi card change.

Lou

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
^^^^ But, if unfragile updates to Sierra or beyond, Wi/Fi may or may not work without a BT Wi/Fi card change.

Lou
The Wi-Fi Card in the Mac Pro 4,1 may not work when you upgrade to High Sierra??

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Correct, there are 2 types of Wifi card used by Apple on the 4,1. One of them has no driver since Sierra.
I'm on Sierra now, so does that mean I have the good Wi-Fi card, the one that will work with High Sierra?

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Thanks for the info! Btw, do you know the history or why Apple decided not to support the other Wi-Fi with drivers? Why was my Wi-Fi card supported with up to date drivers, but not the other Wi-Fi card? Just curious. Glad I have the good Wi-Fi card. :)

I'm thinking now maybe that's the reason Apple decided to officially not support 4,1 after El Capitan because it would be too confusing and messy for them with some 4,1 having the good Wi-Fi card and half having the "bad" Wi-Fi card.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for the info! Btw, do you know the history or why Apple decided not to support the other Wi-Fi with drivers? Why was my Wi-Fi card supported with up to date drivers, but not the other Wi-Fi card? Just curious. Glad I have the good Wi-Fi card. :)

I'm thinking now maybe that's the reason Apple decided to officially not support 4,1 after El Capitan because it would be too confusing and messy for them with some 4,1 having the good Wi-Fi card and half having the "bad" Wi-Fi card.

They never ever intend to support anything for 4,1 in Sierra or later. AFAIK, because some 4,1 come with a Wifi card that same as 5,1 used. That’s why it has to be supported.

7 years support is the common practice in Apple. Even though not always correct, but most of machines do get 7 years support. Since 4,1 released in early 09. That means it will be supported until early 2016. And because Sierra was release at late 2016. It’s completely normal for Apple to drop 4,1 support.

Reactions: Luba

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
Hi,

Can anyone could help me. I can't find the answer after reading so many threads.

Can I upgrade a Mac Pro 4.1 (with firmware b07) to a Mac Pro 5.1 firmware using the same hardware, or I need to upgrade the CPU too?

No need. But with upgrading to 5,1, you will be able to upgrade to faster CPU. And if you have a single 4-core, you will be able to potentially upgrade your board to a dual 6-core. I just upgraded my 2009 5,1 to a dual 3.46 6-core (X5690 total 12-core. 24 with multi-threading). Benchmark is now faster than the 2013 Mac Pro, aka Trash Can. I'm also planning on upgrading my other 2009 5,1 convert, from single 4-core to a dual 6-core. A friend of mine has a dual board ready to swap in. Love these Mac Pros. The upgradability! So much better than the iTrashCans.

Reactions: Synchro3

d-pjw

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
Berlin
No need. But with upgrading to 5,1, you will be able to upgrade to faster CPU. And if you have a single 4-core, you will be able to potentially upgrade your board to a dual 6-core. I just upgraded my 2009 5,1 to a dual 3.46 6-core (X5690 total 12-core. 24 with multi-threading). Benchmark is now faster than the 2013 Mac Pro, aka Trash Can. I'm also planning on upgrading my other 2009 5,1 convert, from single 4-core to a dual 6-core. A friend of mine has a dual board ready to swap in. Love these Mac Pros. The upgradability! So much better than the iTrashCans.
I would prefer the option to a single 6-core @ 3.46 but with a high-end graphics card (Titan XP or above). This is cheaper imho, unless you want to go to the max.
But I heart, that High Sierra might be the last supported system on the MP 5.1.

Anyway, I have an other question: If you upgrade to High Sierra you have to do another firmware upgrade which doesn't allow downgrading, afaik. Can you boot Mac OS 10.6 with this firmware?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I would prefer the option to a single 6-core @ 3.46 but with a high-end graphics card (Titan XP or above). This is cheaper imho, unless you want to go to the max.
But I heart, that High Sierra might be the last supported system on the MP 5.1.

Anyway, I have an other question: If you upgrade to High Sierra you have to do another firmware upgrade which doesn't allow downgrading, afaik. Can you boot Mac OS 10.6 with this firmware?

Yes, the new firmware won't stop a "5,1" boot from any supported OS. The issue of can't boot from too old OS is basically because lack of hardware driver inside the OS, not firmware version.

Reactions: gslrider

Diepstor

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
Upon doing some research, it appears that I did, in fact, hit that magical sweet spot of impossibility with my initial attempt to do the 5,1 update.

For future reference, if SIP is not disabled prior to mounting the firmware update package and running the firmware hack, the hack will go into a sort of limbo where the machine will not finish applying the hack, but will also be incapable of rolling back the changes already made by the hack, regardless of whether SIP is disabled or not. In this instance, re-applying the hack under 10.10 (or perhaps earlier, I don't know) is the only way to successfully complete the process, after which you can freely (with SIP disabled) roll back and apply the hack in El Capitan at will.

I am having the hardest times trying to upgrade my Mac Pro early 2009(2 x 2.26 CPU). I have started with Maverick and received the error 5530. Updated the OS to Yosemite and still receiving the error 5530. What am I doing wrong? Please help and TIA!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I am having the hardest times trying to upgrade my Mac Pro early 2009(2 x 2.26 CPU). I have started with Maverick and received the error 5530. Updated the OS to Yosemite and still receiving the error 5530. What am I doing wrong? Please help and TIA!

You didn’t say what (and how) you’ve done, how can we know what you’ve done wrong?

Diepstor

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
You didn’t say what (and how) you’ve done, how can we know what you’ve done wrong?

I was able to upgrade it manually. Got the answer from forum.Netkas.org. Instruction below.

Started by MacEFIRom, Message by verveguy
Relevance: 63.9%
I could not get the firmware updater tool to work. Error 5570 then Error 5530.

So I hacked the scripts within the tool and ran them directly. I now have a MacPro 2009 which reports Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Root problem: you need to have BOTH the 2010 and 2009 EFI upgrader disk images available so this tool can prepare both the upgrade and downgrade paths. And the tool no longer seems to be capable of downloading them (or at least not for me and anyone else getting the 5530 error). Digging into the compiled .scpt file inside the tool, it's pretty clear what is wrong. But the script is run-only compiled and I can't fix it directly.

So I manually downloaded them and then had to hack the subsidiary shell scripts embedded in the Firmware Tool app and run them directly by hand.

Here's what I did:

0/ Reboot in recovery mode and disable SIP (Recovery mode, Terminal, csrutil disable ). Reboot again.

1/ Download *both* EFI updater packages from Apple
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL989?locale=en_US
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1321?locale=en_US

2/ Use DiskUtility to convert each disk image to a new read/write image

3/ Mount the first image for the 2009 firmware. Rename the mounted disk to Mac Pro EFI Update 2009

4/ Mount the second image for the 2010 firmware. Rename the mounted disk to Mac Pro EFI Update 2010

5/ Run the netkas forum Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool.app
(it will fail, but it will create the RamDisk)

6/ Hack the ExtractAndPatchEFIFiles.sh script buried in my ~/Downloads/Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool.app/Contents/Resources/ directory with this new version:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

pushd /Volumes/RamDisk

# we mounted the EFI update disk image manually
# hdiutil attach -nobrowse EFI2010.dmg
pkgutil --expand '/Volumes/Mac Pro EFI Update 2010/MacProEFIUpdate.pkg' Expanded
cp Expanded/MacProEFIUpdate.pkg/Payload Payload
tar -xf Payload
mkdir MacProEFI2010-2009
mkdir MacProEFI2009-2010
cp 'System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates/MacProEFIUpdate15/EFIUpdaterApp2.efi' MacProEFI2010-2009
cp 'System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates/MacProEFIUpdate15/MP51_007F_03B_LOCKED.fd' MacProEFI2009-2010/MP41_0081_07B_LOCKED.fd
rm -R Applications
rm -R Expanded
rm -R System
rm Payload
hdiutil detach '/Volumes/Mac Pro EFI Update/'

# we mounted the EFI update disk image manually
# hdiutil attach -nobrowse EFI2009.dmg
pkgutil --expand '/Volumes/Mac Pro EFI Update 2009/MacProEFIUpdate.pkg' Expanded
cp Expanded/MacProEFIUpdate.pkg/Payload Payload
tar -xf Payload
cp 'Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi' MacProEFI2009-2010
cp 'Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/MP41_0081_07B_LOCKED.fd' MacProEFI2010-2009/MP51_007F_03B_LOCKED.fd
rm -R Applications
rm -R Expanded
rm -R System
rm Payload
hdiutil detach '/Volumes/Mac Pro EFI Update/'

popd

patch /Volumes/RamDisk/MacProEFI2009-2010/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi EfiUpdater2009.patch
patch /Volumes/RamDisk/MacProEFI2010-2009/EfiUpdaterApp2.efi EfiUpdater2010.patch

7/ Then run the script directly. Using terminal:

Code:
cd ~/Downloads/Mac\ Pro\ 2009-2010\ Firmware\ Tool.app/Contents/Resources/
./ExtractAndPatchEFIFile.sh
sudo UpgradeEFI2009-2010.sh

8/ Shutdown then power on and hold down the power button. Don't let it go. You'll hear the beep indicating EFI update, then it will reboot again. Keep the button down. In my case, the CD drive popped out. I waited a while, then pushed the CD drive back in. Eventually, I got bored and let the power button go. A little while later it rebooted again. Maybe even one more time.

9/ Login, check all is well with System Info.

10/ Reboot into Recovery mode again, enable SIP (Terminal, csrutil enable). Reboot

I'm pretty sure I captured all of that correctly. Hope this helps others.

(If anyone knows how to contact the original author of the update tool or can get the source, I'd happily fix it)

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Boot while immediately holding down Cmd+R, which boots you into your Recovery drive. Go to the Utilities menu and click on Terminal.

When Terminal appears, type in csrutil status (then press return) this will tell you whether SIP is enabled or disabled.

To disable, type csrutil disable (then press return).
To enable, type csrutil enable (then press return).
Then reboot by typing reboot (then press return).

sockeye

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2017
So I did all of this on my Quad 266. Held the power button until the flashing led, let go of the power button, then the long tone came on. The grey screen with Apple logo and status bar came up very briefly, then my system rebooted itself. After it started up, I checked system profiler, but still says 4,1.

Tried it twice. No error messages, and proceeds as it's suppose to. But it's not taking. I'm wondering if it's this file that is the issue? http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1321

I'm wondering, because my 4,1's boot rom ends with B04, according to system profiler. Apple's site says early 2009 1.4 firmware boot rom should be B05 (which I'm guessing mine should be, but isn't). And 2010 MP 5,1 1.5 firmware boot rom is B03. Any idea why my boot rom is different? And could this be the reason why they firmware won't update? Any fix?

Thanks
[doublepost=1513705687][/doublepost]Just got this working after some trial and (mostly) error. My steps that resulting in success - on a 2009 Mac Pro (4,1) from El Capitan were:

1. Disable SIP (reboot into recovery mode, use terminal, enter crustil disable at the prompt),
2. Reboot
3. Mount the EFI 1.5 updater
4. Run the 2009 to 2010 firmware update
5. Restart with holding the button 'til flashes

I also had earlier zapped my PRAM, but not sure if that was necessary. The key for me was disabling SIP and repeating steps 3 and 4. When I had first disabled SIP and just tried to run an already built firmware the system would just boot. No firmware install. So, my suspicion is someting is need when the firmware program is run that SIP initially blocks.

Hope that helps.

MooseS@T

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2018
simple solution: open this file with your favourite texteditor ->
Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool.scpt

you’ll find two URLs:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL989/en_US/MacProEFIUpdate.dmg
and
http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1321/en_US/MacProEFIUpdate1.5.dmg

download the two files and place them on your own webserver ->
http://your_web_server/downloads/DL989/en_US/MacProEFIUpdate.dmg
http://your_web_server/downloads/DL1321/en_US/MacProEFIUpdate1.5.dmg

now on the Mac Pro you want to flash the EFI, edit the file /etc/hosts and add
this line: IP_of_your_webserver support.apple.com

problem solved ;-)
Is it possible to update the firmware from a 2008 Mac Pro to a 5,1? I am really interested to get a new computer that is better than my Macbook Pro and hopefully if I can update the firmware to 5,1, then I would buy the Mac Pro.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Is it possible to update the firmware from a 2008 Mac Pro to a 5,1? I am really interested to get a new computer that is better than my Macbook Pro and hopefully if I can update the firmware to 5,1, then I would buy the Mac Pro.

Cannot, only the 2009 Mac Pro can do that.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

Architecture of the 3,1 cMP is completely different than the cMP 5,1, so the answer is no!

Lou

Niick1807

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Germany
Hello all,

I’ve recently bought a “new” mac pro 4.1 and I am pretty happy with it so far.

I almost directly updated the firmware from 4.1 to 5.1 through the Netkas update tool in order to install high sierra. After a few small hiccups, everything runs perfect now.

So far, so good. As I’m planning to use the Mac pro as my main desktop machine, alongside with my MacBook, I need to be sure the machine is safe to work at.

I read a couple of times, that it is possible to install malware trough the mainboard EFI. I am asking myself now, whether the firmware update, which was conducted through the high sierra installer, has overwritten the complete old firmware, or if it was just a small update. If so, all potential malware should be flashed and overwritten with this update?

Additionally, the weekly EFI-Check should detect malware in the EFI, shouldn’t it?

I’m really appreciating the work from netkas & especially “MacEFIRom” and the last thing I would do is to insinuate anything to these guys. I just need to be sure, that my machine is completely safe to work at.

Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Best Regards,
Nick

Kris Kelvin

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2005
I just need to be sure, that my machine is completely safe to work at.

It's hard nowadays to call any computer "completely safe". But you shouldn't have to worry about the firmware:
The MacPro4,1 to MacPro5,1 firmware upgrade simply installs Apple's official MacPro5,1 firmware to machines from 2009.
The High Sierra Firmware upgrade then completely replaces this with another new version (not just a partial patch).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.