Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I've been participating in a short "course" called Vision, Spirituality, & the Lens. Unfortunately, the course did not turn out to be what was conceived by the Arts Director. I did, of course" stay with it. On Sunday we finally did something relevant to the title. We spent a couple of hours shooting inside a synagogue in Cleveland. The place is a VERY large Byzantine architecture building completed in 1924. It is a very dark building and the size makes flash pretty much useless. And............ I forgot to put my tripod in the car. I was still able to get some okay stuff but wanted feedback before I have to present this Sunday. The image of the arch and vaulted ceiling is straightforward. With the others, I wanted to play with the theme "negative". One is an inverted image and the other two use negative space to frame the subject. I would love as much feedback as I can get before Sunday.

Attachments

• Arch-TTTI-2.jpg
    Arch-TTTI-2.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Arch-TTTI-5.jpg
    Arch-TTTI-5.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Arch-TTTI-1a.jpg
    Arch-TTTI-1a.jpg
    884.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Light-TTTI-1.jpg
    Light-TTTI-1.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 74

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Hi Everyone,
I created a Flickr group for the use of the fortnightly challenge. You can find it at: http://www.flickr.com/groups/fortnightlychallenge/ . My hope is that images posted in these threads can also be put in the group pool on flickr so we can look through them from time to time.

John

Thanks, John. So that I understand this right, I can transfer photos from my Flickr to the pool but can't upload from my system to the pool. Right?

My Flickr is a work in progress and it will take me a while before I get to what I consider the good stuff.

Thanks again for all that you have done to bring this thread to life.

Dale

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
This is a little dark but it works given your interpretation.
I had really no time to plan this - the very next shot and it was gone.

You know it occurred to me that most people won't recognize this as a rotating airport beacon. The interesting this about the shot is that its a single light that rotates.. this is a 2/3 second exposure that catches the light rotating half way around.
A little information goes a long way - in this case you score extra points for being out in such an exposed place - capturing this and producing a good photo. Keep posting - we're very friendly here.

It is a very dark building and the size makes flash pretty much useless. And............ I forgot to put my tripod in the car. I was still able to get some okay stuff but wanted feedback before I have to present this Sunday. The image of the arch and vaulted ceiling is straightforward. With the others, I wanted to play with the theme "negative". One is an inverted image and the other two use negative space to frame the subject. I would love as much feedback as I can get before Sunday.
No tripod - are you mad??? :D

Well here are my views - I used Preview, iPhoto and Photoshop.

With this one - I tweaked it slightly in "Preview" by increasing the the "Black Level" but the slight camera shake means trouble and because of the difference chosen for the "Negative" theme makes it more difficult to adjust and look OK - I'd re-shoot this to be honest.
4187198036_97a6d9d34f_o.jpg

This one I changed in Photoshop using the "Burn tool and Sponge tool" - both set to a very low level (about 4%) - the reflected light from the flash means the bottom of this looks washed out - the sponge tool set to saturate and applied to mostly to the bottom but a bit near the top too. The Burn tool - very little on the bottom in midtones You may want to experiment with this to what suits you. It also needed straightening a bit. You may want to tidy a few edges.
4186435919_f75f98c969_b.jpg

Next the real negative - needed straightening - I think to make it even more interesting you could tweak shadows and highlights but I think it's fine. I love this too.
4186435463_175098a8a3_b.jpg

It probably doesn't surprise you that I love this but I dropped the saturation a bit and the temperature to cooler - just a little - to bring out the corrosion/damage to the paint in the centre. _ I was tempted to rotate it to but some how I like it as it is. Would a black back ground spoil it?
4186434745_9c785f6c2f_b.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Thanks, John. So that I understand this right, I can transfer photos from my Flickr to the pool but can't upload from my system to the pool. Right?

My Flickr is a work in progress and it will take me a while before I get to what I consider the good stuff.

Thanks again for all that you have done to bring this thread to life.

Dale

Seems you can only post 5 shots a day - but that's OK. It might be nice if it was a higher number so we can get up to date quicker.

My Flickr page was a bit of a dumping ground for photos to post here - so I've had a winter clean out.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Seems you can only post 5 shots a day - but that's OK. It might be nice if it was a higher number so we can get up to date quicker.

My Flickr page was a bit of a dumping ground for photos to post here - so I've had a winter clean out.

I use ImageShack as a dumping ground for posting. I have found out that if I change names or delete a photo it disappears from where I posted it. I have been careful in setting up my Flickr so that this doesn't happen. That's why it's taking so long...

Dale

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Just so everyone is aware, I removed the posting limit on the flickr group for the time being. If the the group does not get abused, I will not turn the limit back on. Currently the group is open to everyone with no invite requirements so feel free to join if you have not done so at this time.

Next Theme
In are last topic thread we discussed having Holidays as the next theme, is that still okay with everyone and if so do people what it to run through New Years (first week in January)?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Just so everyone is aware, I removed the posting limit on the flickr group for the time being. If the the group does not get abused, I will not turn the limit back on. Currently the group is open to everyone with no invite requirements so feel free to join if you have not done so at this time.

Next Theme
In are last topic thread we discussed having Holidays as the next theme, is that still okay with everyone and if so do people what it to run through New Years (first week in January)?

Good with me. I'm not much of a Christmas/New Years guy (no kids or close relatives), so I may just watch and chat.

Note: Do you want us to limit our Flickr posts to Fortnight Challenge topic pics? I think so...

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Simon -- thanks for the feedback. I've gotten very little sleep for 3 nights in a row because of this project. Certainly that has nothing to do with my obsessing about it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Next Theme

Both sound okay to me.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Sounds good to me. Perhaps it would also be a good idea to post the link to the group each time a new thread is created so new members see it, and hopefully join =)

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Next Theme

I'm OK with this - except there is no holiday where I am. Posting seasonal holiday shots from a freezing fog world is as good as it will get unless you want to see my incredibly interesting summer holiday snaps.

I do want to keep the idea of editing other peoples shots on the back burner though. It will be interesting to see what we all do with other peoples work.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I'm OK with this - except there is no holiday where I am. Posting seasonal holiday shots from a freezing fog world is as good as it will get unless you want to see my incredibly interesting summer holiday snaps.

I do want to keep the idea of editing other peoples shots on the back burner though. It will be interesting to see what we all do with other peoples work.

I agree with you. Maybe "holiday" could also be read as "vacation". Having a second topic is usually good for me, sometimes a single one is too constraining. Freezing Fog World? Rain Soaked World? I don't know. Sometimes I just sit and watch, and that's OK with me.

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
We put in a photograph with no editing and see what we can all do with it. I'm not sure how it would exactly work but I like the idea.

I continue to think this is an outstanding idea.

Where is this mountain of yours???

I agree with you. Maybe "holiday" could also be read as "vacation". Having a second topic is usually good for me, sometimes a single one is too constraining. Freezing Fog World? Rain Soaked World? I don't know. Sometimes I just sit and watch, and that's OK with me.
Dale

I agree. We get much better stuff when we interpret the theme very broadly.

Years ago my wife would have submitted a picture of her desk. She said going back to work after maternity leave was like a holiday/vacation.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I agree. We get much better stuff when we interpret the theme very broadly.

Years ago my wife would have submitted a picture of her desk. She said going back to work after maternity leave was like a holiday/vacation.

As someone who stays at home and looks after our son whilst trying to study - I know where your wife is coming from.

Keep the theme quite broad is good - not related to my current weather that's for sure. :D

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
"Little gem" magnolia:
1024308.jpg

Camera-Kodak EasyShare CX6200

You seem to use a wide selection of cameras for posting pics on these forums

Kodak EasyShare CX6200
Olympus D-545
Canon PowerShot A70
Canon A580
Nikon Coolpix S3
Fuji FinePix E550
Fuji A170
Exilim EX-Z75
Olympus FE-270
Kodak EasyShare C713
Pentax Optio E30
Nikon Coopix L16
Fuji FinePix Z3
Canon EOS 100
Sony DSC-T70

Are you a reviewer?

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
You seem to use a wide selection of cameras for posting pics on these forums

Kodak EasyShare CX6200
Olympus D-545
Canon PowerShot A70
Canon A580
Nikon Coolpix S3
Fuji FinePix E550
Fuji A170
Exilim EX-Z75
Olympus FE-270
Kodak EasyShare C713
Pentax Optio E30
Nikon Coopix L16
Fuji FinePix Z3
Canon EOS 100
Sony DSC-T70

Are you a reviewer?
No-just like having different kinds of cameras with varying features for all kinds of shots.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
I've been participating in a short "course" called Vision, Spirituality, & the Lens. Unfortunately, the course did not turn out to be what was conceived by the Arts Director. I did, of course" stay with it. On Sunday we finally did something relevant to the title. We spent a couple of hours shooting inside a synagogue in Cleveland. The place is a VERY large Byzantine architecture building completed in 1924. It is a very dark building and the size makes flash pretty much useless. And............ I forgot to put my tripod in the car. I was still able to get some okay stuff but wanted feedback before I have to present this Sunday. The image of the arch and vaulted ceiling is straightforward. With the others, I wanted to play with the theme "negative". One is an inverted image and the other two use negative space to frame the subject. I would love as much feedback as I can get before Sunday.

Wonderful photos you took-which camera did you use?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
No-just like having different kinds of cameras with varying features for all kinds of shots.
That's an awful lot of point and shoot camera's to carry around. Hope you can remember all the features of each one :)

I believe deep diver uses a Nikon D50

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Wonderful photos you took-which camera did you use?

Chappers is correct. Nikon D50 & Nikkor 18-200 lens. These were taken in a very large and dark space. These images were shot at wide aperature, hi ISO, slow shutter speeds, and hand held. (I can't remember if I forgot my tripod or if I was trying to emulate my friend. :rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D)

I did use flash for the image of the impost and arches.

Maxx - I am so looking forward to your work in this area!!!! Are you going to tell us your secrets

As am I. I expect I will be learning a lot from many people.

Do we have a new thread yet? I did not find one.

Separate question: Does anyone know who orangefingers2001 is at flickr?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.