Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Mod:
There were sorta guidelines of 1 pict/post/day - and I got my virtual hand slapped a while back, for this challenge "ok" to post a small series of related photos seems to be acceptable??

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Mod:
There were sorta guidelines of 1 pict/post/day - and I got my virtual hand slapped a while back, for this challenge "ok" to post a small series of related photos seems to be acceptable??

There is no real limit to the number of photo's you may post - on the other hand probably posting a large number all in one go will seem like you've taken over the board. Also if you'd like some feedback then it will be difficult on a large number.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
deep diver: beautiful Maui shots and all I can say about the larimar is Wow!

Maxxamillian: #3 is fantastic!

techie4life: great portraits, I like #2 but wish there was some fill in to offset the bright area behind her.

aafuss1: nice shot, a lower vantage point may remove some of the nearby structures and clutter from outside the garden

LumbermanSVO: great photo, she seems to like the beach much better than snow :)

wramirez1021: great DOF, I'd have given you an 'A' on the project.

Chappers: nice capture of the emotion, he makes a great subject

isianto: #1 is a great photo!

A few of my New Mexico favorites:

Attachments

• _7003101.jpg
    _7003101.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 93
  • _7003117.jpg
    _7003117.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 64
  • _7003138.jpg
    _7003138.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 63

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Since my interesting comment and work on Bruce's photos - I have been thinking a little about the next challenge.

My thoughts are - and I'm brain storming a bit here.

We put in a photograph with no editing and see what we can all do with it. I'm not sure how it would exactly work but I like the idea.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Bruce - sorry. "Interesting" does not do justice to this picture - I am rarely inspired to want to play with a picture but this shot dragged me away to Photoshop.

My foot in mouth answer reflects for me the depth of my impatience to answer (way to briefly) and work with this multi-layered master piece in great deceptive photography.

Again I find myself asking for a full sized copy to work with - not to improve it, as I love the original - but to work with it - to discover.

Here are a few examples of what I've done starting with the original.

I was goofing about the "interesting" comment. I kinda figured that no one here would use the word negatively.

The image I posted is full size. The specimen is about the size of a baseball and was in the gift shop at Chicago's Shedd Aquarium. It was not for sale and I had to fight with them to let me shoot it. My time was limited and there were a lot of people around, so I shot some with and some without flash and worked with it at home.

I love what you did with them. What did you do to get these results?

I would appreciate your sending them to me. I think you have both of my e-mail addresses. If not I'll resend them.

Since my interesting comment and work on Bruce's photos - I have been thinking a little about the next challenge.

My thoughts are - and I'm brain storming a bit here.

We put in a photograph with no editing and see what we can all do with it. I'm not sure how it would exactly work but I like the idea.

I really like this idea. (My brother participates in a forum like FOTW that is built on a similar concept.) One of the things I have to learn is how to see the images differently and do artistic PP. I have been so much about presenting what the lens sees that I have neglected this other artistic opportunity. I do think it's time I started.

ukuleleman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Lucky shot

I took this last year shortly after getting my first Canon camera (400D)
I think I used a 60mm prime (Macro)

It has a sort of ethereal quality about it which came about because of my complete ignorance of DOF, I brought the plant indoors and set it against a black backdrop, I still think it one of my best to date even though you would be hard pressed to find anything in focus!

p622500162-4.jpg

ukuleleman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
They Went Thataway!

I shot this in Spain about 4 years ago using a Fuji 1,5 mpxl camera, so it doesn't enlarge very well, but this guy posed for me and I know exactly what he was telling me, 'They went thataway!'

p294887099-3.jpg

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I was goofing about the "interesting" comment. I kinda figured that no one here would use the word negatively.
I thought I'd run off some pictures quickly but it is such an interesting image I got wrapped up in it and well the rest is history. "Interesting" is never enough!
I love what you did with them. What did you do to get these results?
This is shocking - but I don't know - I must have played with levels, hue, saturation, colour replacement and I know I did an inversion on the rusty looking one but I just get overly involved and stop thinking about how I'm doing something - there were 28 images by the time I finished and the ones I sent were the ones I liked.
I would appreciate your sending them to me. I think you have both of my e-mail addresses. If not I'll resend them.
I don't delete a friends email address and yes I'll send them.
I really like this idea. (My brother participates in a forum like FOTW that is built on a similar concept.) One of the things I have to learn is how to see the images differently and do artistic PP. I have been so much about presenting what the lens sees that I have neglected this other artistic opportunity. I do think it's time I started.
We need a good plan for this - so that when it happens it will be clear to all.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
CK Williams -- I've seen these New Mexico images before. The one with the radar dish is a little too monochromatic for my taste but the composition is great. The image with the cloud and mountain is still amazing.

ukuleleman -- Sometimes we make fortunate errors. This is one of them The image is really nice. The focus is on the stamen which is exactly where it should be for this sort of image.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I shot this in Spain about 4 years ago using a Fuji 1,5 mpxl camera, so it doesn't enlarge very well, but this guy posed for me and I know exactly what he was telling me, 'They went thataway!'
You win the amusing creature photo award for that one.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
<snip>

We would need to decide on resolution and file format. This is an unedited file that I put in PTOD. I couldn't upload the RAW to ImageShack, so this is a 240 dpi jpeg. We probably should restrict this to images that are uploaded to the MR server-those clickable thumbnails. Not everyone can post to an online source like ImageShack or Flickr.

OH, How about a Fortnight Challenge Flickr page? Photos posted in the thread added to Flickr (with credits) unless otherwise noted?

img9694s.jpg

This is an 8MB file. The second is an 800K clicker.

Dale

Attachments

• IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    879 KB · Views: 70

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
OH, How about a Fortnight Challenge Flickr page? Photos posted in the thread added to Flickr (with credits) unless otherwise noted?

Dale

I've thought of creating a flickr group and I'm completely willing to do it if people will use it. By the way, the photos in this thread are great, awesome work.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I've thought of creating a flickr group and I'm completely willing to do it if people will use it. By the way, the photos in this thread are great, awesome work.

My spur-of-the-moment thought was to establish a Flickr page and manage it myself, copying each post and loading each Challenge as a set. I'm not sure how others would take to this and I'm not sure how I would go about getting permission from each. Setting up a page for us to post to would require that the password be made public, or at least emailed to anyone interested in using it. This could be a problem if anyone decided to sabotage it my posting NSFW or whatever.

I have a page that is a work in progress while I catch up on old photos. I need my email password to access it. I don't know if that's just me or the way Flickr/Yahoo works.

Dale

PS: All of your celestial photos have always been out of this world (no pun intended). r u a rokt scintst??

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

I think we should have a few (5 maybe) images to work with both to provide variety and to make sure the thread does not slow down.

We would need to decide on resolution and file format...... OH, How about a Fortnight Challenge Flickr page? Photos posted in the thread added to Flickr (with credits) unless otherwise noted?
Dale

I think we should keep it simple. All of us can work with jpeg. MacRumors limits how large of an image can be posted, so I think we simply post the largest image possible. This may not be the most elegant way but I think we will exclude people if we don't play to the masses.

I certainly won't refuse another forum with this group of friends but I much prefer to keep things simple.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Took a photo when there's an outdoor activity in my community.
Any critique to make the photo better are highly welcome and appreciated. Thanks

Hi. Your cat photo is the best of the group. It is pretty sharp across the eyes, but could use a deeper depth of field. The saturation is a bit on the low side and the grass could be made more vibrant is PhotoShop if you have that program. The photo of the girl facing the camera has potential, but I want to see her eyes. "Look away" photos work with adult subjects, but people always want to see the eyes of a child. I don't quite know what you want us to see when she is walking away.

Keep it up and come back with more.

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

It has a sort of ethereal quality about it which came about because of my complete ignorance of DOF, I brought the plant indoors and set it against a black backdrop, I still think it one of my best to date even though you would be hard pressed to find anything in focus!

p622500162-4.jpg

^^^ Macro is a real challenge. Especially getting the DOF just right. I like the colors you captured in this photo.

p294887099-3.jpg

^^^ Love It! This has to be one of my favorite Bird Photos. I've seen wonderful tight shots of hawks and eagles, but this is expressive in a silly way. Great potential. Great capture.

,,, I don't know - I must have played with levels, hue, saturation, colour replacement and I know I did an inversion on the rusty looking one but I just get overly involved and stop thinking...

^^^[SIGH]...Gasp...[/SIGH] In my PhotoShop classes, in order to get a grade higher than a B on any project, we had to include a .txt document listing all of the additions and changes we made to create the final image.
Mr. Moyer's killer question for all the young dudes was "How did you do that?"

I took this photo last week in Berlin, New Hampshire.

^^^ Another Ohio folk. Welcome. I lived in the NorthEast before I lived in the NorthWest. They really know how to do winter storms in the East. Love the snow in the lights and the way I splits the frame into several zones. Nice!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I took this photo last week in Berlin, New Hampshire.
Welcome! _ Nice shot - Love the colours. Keep them coming.

We would need to decide on resolution and file format. This is an unedited file that I put in PTOD. I couldn't upload the RAW to ImageShack, so this is a 240 dpi jpeg. We probably should restrict this to images that are uploaded to the MR server-those clickable thumbnails. Not everyone can post to an online source like ImageShack or Flickr.

img9694s.jpg

This is an 8MB file. The second is an 800K clicker.

Dale

This is a cool image, I love the bottom left corner - many would have been tempted to crop it out ...... glad you didn't.

I think stay with JPEG - the best quality is as an attachment - but we can accept what ever people give as long as its JPEG - I think.

Here is my favorite shot of the year:
Stars up high, Storm down low

John
Cracking stuff - love your position on this - wonderful.

Guayin is the bodhisattva of compassion.
Still enjoy this

p622500162-4.jpg
You need a little luck sometimes and I think its that bit of luck that helps us grow. Remember the luck and enjoy - nice shot.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Well this thread has done well

I took this pic last night and the sky turned pink and lit up my apartment - I looked out and the sky reminded me of a volcano with lava - winter is coming - its -5C outside - and that's just the beginning. A bit noisy.....but time was short.

4185173880_962322e10e_b.jpg

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Welcome! _ Nice shot - Love the colours. Keep them coming.

You know it occurred to me that most people won't recognize this as a rotating airport beacon. The interesting this about the shot is that its a single light that rotates.. this is a 2/3 second exposure that catches the light rotating half way around.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Well this thread has done well

I took this pic last night and the sky turned pink and lit up my apartment - I looked out and the sky reminded me of a volcano with lava - winter is coming - its -5C outside - and that's just the beginning. A bit noisy.....but time was short.

This is a little dark but it works given your interpretation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.