Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Challenge topic : Edge(s)

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM Sept 24

Rules
1. Photos should be your own work.
2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.
2. The challenge topic will be voted on by all members in a separate thread.

Lets have fun!!!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Okay. I'll go first.

2 years ago when I was raking leaves our cat started tunneling. (It looked like one of those cartoon things with the leaves flying up in the air. Very funny.) It took 10 minutes or more before I could get just one shot. Unfortunately, her eyes were closed. I cropped the image the ways I did hoping to convey some sense of her moving through the leaves.

This is a tough challenge. I am feeling a lot of tension (in this image and another) between showing enough of the subject to create some meaningful story but without moving the subject too far into the frame.

Attachments

• Skitty - edge.jpg
    Skitty - edge.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Skitty - edge - 2.jpg
    Skitty - edge - 2.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 95

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Well deep diver - you're a brave man - this is truly a challenge - I like the cat a bit more in the frame - it looks a little out of focus (but I'm not wearing my glasses :mad:) but I kind of like the closed eyes - gives it a cheeky look.

Here's mine so far

Attachments

• _G1S1759.JPG
    _G1S1759.JPG
    468.8 KB · Views: 108

micol124

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
Milan, Italy
Deep diver, nice pic! I think I like the composition of the one with the kitty more in... do you have PS or other "playing" software? I wonder if you could somehow make the cat pop out more...

Chapprs, like how the emphasis is on the edge... this is a cut flower, I presume? What lens do you use? I have been trying to get nice macros but I can't seem to zoom in or move in close enough to have the subject actually take up a significant portion of real estate on the composition...:confused:

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Chapprs, like how the emphasis is on the edge... this is a cut flower, I presume? What lens do you use? I have been trying to get nice macros but I can't seem to zoom in or move in close enough to have the subject actually take up a significant portion of real estate on the composition...:confused:

The challenge theme is EDGE so thats my plan. Used my 70-300mm lens on Macro settıng. It was actually taken in the park next to my garden. I was taking a photo of a dragonfly but I was well within range of a water spinkler system - took this whilst avoidng the spray. The background is black because we have a big dark forest behind our place.

What camera do you have - does it have a macro setting.

micol124

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
Milan, Italy
The challenge theme is EDGE so thats my plan. Used my 70-300mm lens on Macro settıng. It was actually taken in the park next to my garden. I was taking a photo of a dragonfly but I was well within range of a water spinkler system - took this whilst avoidng the spray. The background is black because we have a big dark forest behind our place.

What camera do you have - does it have a macro setting.

Ok! Cool! I have a Canon EOS 50D + a 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS lenses. I do believe it has a macro setting... I will have to try it! Any tips?

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Yes. Skitty is out of focus. She is a very needy cat but not always cooperative. This was a grab it while you can shot at 65mm, f5, 1/60, & ISO 100 with the kit kens. It was taken at dusk with the on camera flash. Overall, not a great formula for a well executed shot. The whole frame is out of focus. I probably moved in or out a bit when I was shooting it. I use PS Essentials 6, but I am a minimalist when it comes to PP. I just tried sharpening it up some and it does look a bit better.

Chappers -- as usual, this is a stunning image. I think you found that balance in this challenge very well. I hope you and your camera did not get too wet, but the droplets are what make this image stand out from other flower images.

Clix Pix -- this is one of the best images I have ever seen on one of the forums. Just outstanding.

gkarris -- Interesting shot and I am very torn about it. On the one hand, it is pretty monotone and flat. I would love to see some sort of highlight to bring it to life. On the other hand.......... I moved from Chicagoland (Michigan City, IN) about a year ago to Cleveland (one of the few places that is even more cloudy/gloomy than Chicago). This image captures that grey day feeling very well. What I am missing here is the edge theme. Please explain.

I do not have a macro lens. I use the Nikon 18-200 (which is effectively 27-300 on a digital camera). Zooming in all the way and getting as close as I can usually gets me what I want.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
micol124 - both my camera and the 300mm lens have a macro setting - get close - make sure the light is good. Press button lots of times. Crop photos - always useful. Have a steady hand or a tripod. I have a steady hand. deep diver can confirm this :D

gkarris : I'm sorry but I don't understand how this relates to the theme.

Clix Pix - Stunning work - seen your other photos and this is equally great. Nice one.

deep diver - OK my eyes are still working (my rather nasty cornea injury means I'm never to sure). Still like this cat picture though and its really grown on me.
Yeah I got wet. The dragon fly (see picture) landed on the "edge" of the flower. The water sprayer would come and it would fly away and come back to settle again. Each sweep of the sprayer was about 30 seconds. Believe me it was tough. Find where it had landed - focus camera - take photo and turn back whilst covering camera. Get wet and try again. I managed 7 photos before we both got bored. I took the flower as I was just about to walk away.

Attachments

• _G1S1411.JPG
    _G1S1411.JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 114

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
micol124 - Chappers has to have a steady hand because he does not own a tripod.:D:D:D

Chappers -- I had thought that injury would have healed by now. Will it continue to improve?
The dragon fly is also beautiful. You have a lot more patience than me.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Chappers:

Nicely captured on the dragonfly picture...color palate, composition, and interesting subject....all there.

Well done:D

micol124

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
Milan, Italy
Chappers - Thanks for the info, will look up my lenses and find out...

Deep diver - I guess I shall get a stady hand, my tripod is back in the states, won't come over till March :rolleyes:;):D

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Deep Diver and Chappers, thank you both very much! This was a fun image to shoot.... I set the iPhone in its dock on my kitchen counter, then positioned an orange cutting board to serve as the background. I stood on a thick telephone book, angling myself and the camera above the upright iPhone and shot downward at it with the D3 and my 60mm lens. It took several tries before I finally achieved what I was envisoning and so I had to crop very little when processing the image.

I like the dragonfly shot -- very nicely done! It is fun seeing how people interpret this topic.....

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
What I am missing here is the edge theme. Please explain.

gkarris : I'm sorry but I don't understand how this relates to the theme.

You don't notice:

1. The edges of the moisture on the ramp
2. The edges of the squares of the concrete on the ramp
3. The edges of the wings on the aircraft
4. The edges of the trees in the distance
5. The edge of the region of the cloud cover
6. The fact that this pic was taken on the edge of the ramp

Did I not get the theme?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Maxx - very clever

marsvolta - for some reason it reminds me of the Beatles - however I'd still crop this a bit to get rid of Ringo on the left. Did you take any more of this dcene?

marsvolta

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2006
marsvolta - for some reason it reminds me of the Beatles - however I'd still crop this a bit to get rid of Ringo on the left. Did you take any more of this dcene?

Here it is cropped. I took one other one. Here it is in original and cropped.

Attachments

• P1010531.jpg
    P1010531.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • P1010530.jpg
    P1010530.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • P1010530-2.jpg
    P1010530-2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 135

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
You don't notice:

1. The edges of the moisture on the ramp
2. The edges of the squares of the concrete on the ramp
3. The edges of the wings on the aircraft
4. The edges of the trees in the distance
5. The edge of the region of the cloud cover
6. The fact that this pic was taken on the edge of the ramp

Did I not get the theme?

I think you're stretching the point here a little :D

marsvolta I like the first one cropped the best. The horizon in them isn't straight and its always tough in shots like this. I try for as many different angles as possible and then balance the straightness in iPhoto (its quick and easy) if I have too.

Still like the retro feel of your photo though.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
micol124 - Chappers has to have a steady hand because he does not own a tripod.:D:D:D

Chappers -- I had thought that injury would have healed by now. Will it continue to improve?
The dragon fly is also beautiful. You have a lot more patience than me.
:D I'm probably the most impatient person in the world, but I'm stubborn too.

Eye injury - slowly getting better I think - when I read (I'm on postgraduate studies at the moment) it gets very sore. The hospital said it would take at least a year and a friend did the same thing - it took 5 years:(

Obviously when a small chap, like the one on the "EDGE" of the tree pokes you in the eye, it doesn't help :)

Attachments

• Edge of the tree.jpg
    Edge of the tree.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 93

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
..Ryan..
Love the first one (I assume they are all about being on the edge of the cliff)
Second is fun and amusing (love the scale) easy to miss the dog
Third is OK but not really my cup of tea.

But that first one is great - as I always say at some point - I'd crop it a bit, especially the grass on the left and then for me it is stunning.

Good work - tell us about your technique for colour etc.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
..Ryan>> -- Nice job with these. I like the concepts and the execution.

In the first one, I love the way the wood follows and then breaks away from the edge of the cliff. (There is probably a metaphor in there somewhere). I would crop out some of the left side and some of the bottom to bring greater attention the the wood and the cliff.

In the second image, I like the way the cliff forms 2 edges - top and bottom. I think the sand looks washed out and is a distractor. I would crop out some of the bottom and left side. That also makes the dog more noticeable.

The third really resonates with me. I grew up in Philadelphia and have made many dives off the Jersey shore. This reminds me of one of the channels the boats would use to get out to the open ocean. I would like to see a little more exposure here to bring up the colors.

I took some liberties: I cropped the 2 cliffs and lightened the shadows by 25% on the channel.

Attachments

• Cliff-1.jpg
    Cliff-1.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Cliff-2.jpg
    Cliff-2.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Channel.jpg
    Channel.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.