Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Well, the key is "under the circumstances." And I agree, I just thought it might be fun just to play around with this just to see if I might like a macro lens (which I would...love.) I think I'm more interested in slightly backed-off macro perspectives so I can get a bigger picture of what's going on, rather than close-ups of a bug's eye... but it could be fun to explore the little world going on in and around plants.

I did a different crop to elimintate the flower 'bud' but I'm thinking it's not going to really do the topic much justice.

DSC_8891-1.jpg

Think I'll stick to boats...;)

You obviously have an eye for more than just boats...

:D

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Willowtree -- beautiful image. I love the composition. The play between the shadows, lights, and mountains adds many dimentions. Humility may be an admirable trait, but you should be proud of this one. I generally prefer shots with nothing extraneous (see Designer Dales earlier comments about making everything look intentional). I would reframe this to exclude the people, road, and any stray footprints.

Bruce

pyth

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
Taken at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO.

Attachments

• IMG_0271rev.jpg
    IMG_0271rev.jpg
    938.5 KB · Views: 93

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Willowtree:

I love that shot. I wouldn't reframe it alll (my opinion only!) I think the people in it give it a fantastic sense of scale and anticipation. Well done!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
PNW -- This is a beautiful image. Period. There is so much going on here. I get the edge of the ridges. There is also "being on the edge" in this harsh environment. The texture of the ice, the light and several gradients of the shadows, the relationship between the climber and the ice, and every other element work together so well. Very nicely done.

Bruce

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
This is the site of the Thirtymile fire that I mentioned in an earlier post. It had burned over a second time after the 2001 fire, but you can see the fury of it in the black and hollow snags. Washington is known for it's clear blue skies in the summer, but I had some nice clouds on this day last September. The crest of the peaks adds a nice edge for the sky. This was the edge of life for four young firefighters.

Dale

Attachments

• ThirtymilePeak.jpg
    ThirtymilePeak.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97

PNW

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Thanks guys. It's a scan of a black and white negative (I've only recently replaced my trusty 4004 with a d70s) so no color copy. I prefer shooting black and white above treeline. I've found it's excellent at bringing out the texture of the rock and / or ice. B &W also helps those features compete with the would be blue sky and brightly colored climber's for the eye's attention.

And I have to be honest: The environment at the time wasn't particularly harsh. That was shot on the lower part of Mt Baker's Colman glacier (Washington State). By mid afternoon it was around 70 degrees and by late afternoon we were taking off the crampons and cracking into cans of pub draught Guinness that we'd humped in and buried in a hole we hacked out of the ice :D

pigbat

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2005
Like this. Reminds me of Baja California Sur... I climbed a ridge like this (edge) to get from one beach to another down at a place called el Cerritos, near Pescadero, BCS. And... you are right on the edge of a cliff the whole way..

Thanks flint. It's the shortcut up from Black's Beach in San Diego. The long winding path is not nearly as fun as the excitement of living on the edge.

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Like this. Reminds me of Baja California Sur... I climbed a ridge like this (edge) to get from one beach to another down at a place called el Cerritos, near Pescadero, BCS. And... you are right on the edge of a cliff the whole way..

I think I know that place. I was in Todos Santos which is a few minutes north and whenever we took the boat we saw people climbing.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I think I know that place. I was in Todos Santos which is a few minutes north and whenever we took the boat we saw people climbing.

Close... but if you took a boat, chances are you went off the beach at Punta Lobos, where the local fishermen gather. There's a trail up the mountain immediately to the south, which can get you around the point that juts out into the Pacific, and also hike (fairly steep) down to the other side.

The place I was referring to, Los Cerritos beach, is just south of Pescadero, and a couple of miles down some dirt roads. Maybe it's been developed since I was there in 2005 (so I've heard) but it was one of the big surfing beaches during the winter months. This ridge you can go over to another, smaller more private beach is just to the north of that...

I spent a bit of time over the last several years down there in Todos Santos, and Pescadero, and in the process I rescued, and now have full custody of... six, yup... 6 dogs. Five Baja mutts, and one yellow lab.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
Here is my photo, it one of my favorite photos, it has some depth and feel to it, something I never have captured before.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 103

..Ryan..

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I have 3 to enter.
3914758636_8a799eb934_b.jpg

3914741964_8dc87f6530_b.jpg

3913783449_8ec98e802d_b.jpg

sorry its taken me so long to reply to this thread, been very busy lately.
I would like to thank 'chappers' and 'deep diver' for the feedback and suggestions. much appreciated. I am still fairly new to photography, but very much enjoying it, as for the colour, in those shots I was using the kit lens, so alot of the colour is brought out in 'Lightroom' for me. I might post up some more shots from that day tomorrow, as it is now 1:06 am here in Melbourne, Australia :)

cheers,
Ryan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.