Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Ah, I've been waiting to share this image!

p349286396.jpg

This was shot back in July as part of my 365 Days (Photo-of-the-Day) project and as part of a "minimalist photography" project on another site.

Getting behind on my comments.

I like the color and contrasts that you have set up in this image. The red-orange is a great and seldom used color choice. Bold of you to use it. The only comment I have beyond praise is that it seems a bit cramped in the lower left. The pool of orange seems trapped by the phone. One of my design teachers told us to make elements look intentional. The interpretation here would be to give more breathing room and let the orange flow freely.

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
marsvolta - verticals and horizontals - always trouble :eek:

Your photo reminded me I have this

2781506339_5e3c4f1b38_b.jpg

Outstanding work, Chappers! I have seen the partner to this in one of the other photo threads and have been intrigued by it ever since. This one has a great dynamic going on between the swans above the falls and the ones below it. Almost conveys a kind of class struggle with the workers struggling beneath the sharp eye of the elite.

Dale

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Getting behind on my comments.

I like the color and contrasts that you have set up in this image. The red-orange is a great and seldom used color choice. Bold of you to use it. The only comment I have beyond praise is that it seems a bit cramped in the lower left. The pool of orange seems trapped by the phone. One of my design teachers told us to make elements look intentional. The interpretation here would be to give more breathing room and let the orange flow freely.

Dale

Thank you for that valuable feedback! The orange is actually a cutting board, upon which I placed the iPhone (in its dock) before shooting down on it. I'm not a graphics artist (nor any sort of artist and haven't had any formal training). I was just playing with this one day..... For future attempts I will remember what you have suggested, to give more breathing room to the background/color element. Thanks!

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I like the flow of line in this image. I really like the Sydney Opera House Steps in your Flicker feed.

By the way, all themes in this thread are open to interpretation by the individual with the camera (you). It frees your creativity and allows you to see things from different aspects depending on your interpretation.

Dale

Thank you Designer Dale. I really do appreciate the kind words. The Opera House is an amazingly beautiful building. I was hoping to take a shot or tow that werent the standard ones that everyone comes back with. Glad you dig the steps.... i'm partial to that shot myself.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Outstanding work, Chappers! I have seen the partner to this in one of the other photo threads and have been intrigued by it ever since. This one has a great dynamic going on between the swans above the falls and the ones below it. Almost conveys a kind of class struggle with the workers struggling beneath the sharp eye of the elite. Dale

Thank you - I saw them every morning for a week one very cold winter as I cycled to work.

Attachments

• swans.jpg
    swans.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 77

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Looks painful. Interesting choice the edge of a cactus (hopefully that's correct) a little washed out but a nice idea.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Thank you - I saw them every morning for a week one very cold winter as I cycled to work.

Cool pic. I would jsut love to see that swan swept over the edge... the 10 year old in me would find it hysterical.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
jrm27 : I did see a swan crash into the bridge in the photo.
I was heading back to work when I heard the familiar noise of swans taking-off. Three birds swept past me - two of them managed to fly over the bridge. The swan in last position hit the bridge and crashed into the river.
I rushed over to see if I could do anything but the first two swans were already circling and came back, landed on the river and awaited the recovery of their friend and they all promptly took-off again. A woman beside me was as amazed as I was.

Off topic for the thread but hopefully an interesting story.

Attachments

• P50114865.jpg
    P50114865.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 72

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
About time I put something up here. A whale skeleton mounted on the shore in Long Beach, Washington.

Lumix F15 P&S

Dale

Attachments

• WhaleDetail.jpg
    WhaleDetail.jpg
    743.8 KB · Views: 79

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
The only comment I have beyond praise is that it seems a bit cramped in the lower left. The pool of orange seems trapped by the phone. One of my design teachers told us to make elements look intentional. The interpretation here would be to give more breathing room and let the orange flow freely.

Dale -- Interesting idea. I appreciate it very much. Some uninformed thoughts from someone that has no idea about design rules: There is a lot of art in design (duhhhhh). All of the design oriented exhibits I have ever seen in museums suggest that there are often many rules in design (some new and some old). Not all art follows the rules. Sometimes they are pushed and sometimes broken. Some of our own pictures are good examples. I would appreciate two things. First is for you to share your thoughts about these ideas. Second is for you to share your thoughts about other pictures through your designer's eye.

Bruce

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Looks painful. Interesting choice the edge of a cactus (hopefully that's correct) a little washed out but a nice idea.

Yes, edge of cactus is correct. I botched the original post and lost my text, but didn't realize it till now.

It may look washed out, but it's not. The cactus has that wax-film washed out look in reality.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Yes, edge of cactus is correct. I botched the original post and lost my text, but didn't realize it till now.

It may look washed out, but it's not. The cactus has that wax-film washed out look in reality.

Honestly I would have tweaked it a little - even though I try myself to do as little PP work as possible and keep it natural. So I hope you won't be offended but I played with yours a bit because overall I really like it - it has an almost alien feel about it. Of course mine is just a personal preference (nothing more).

Attachments

• img-3623-cu-1.jpg
    img-3623-cu-1.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 75

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Maxxamillian - another wonderfully rich picture from you. It has, as always got class and style written all over it, so there isn't much more to say. Nice work.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
pdxflint -- Excellent work, as usual. The way you captured the texture and angle of the sandstone creates a lot of movement that pulls my eye up the formation.

BTW: I've listened to some of your music - very cool stuff.

Bruce

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Maxxamillian - another wonderfully rich picture from you. It has, as always got class and style written all over it, so there isn't much more to say. Nice work.

Chappers: Thanks for the encouragement! I worry about this one...it is very busy--one has to do some searching to figure out what it is. Not so sure what to do to simplify while retaining the overall artistic expression the owner put into this bike...

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Chappers: Thanks for the encouragement! I worry about this one...it is very busy--one has to do some searching to figure out what it is. Not so sure what to do to simplify while retaining the overall artistic expression the owner put into this bike...

Yes it is horrifically busy but that's the nature of the beast sometimes. You've taken a risk and for me it has paid off.
Your photos are works of art IMO and I'd say keep taking the risks.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Honestly I would have tweaked it a little - even though I try myself to do as little PP work as possible and keep it natural. So I hope you won't be offended but I played with yours a bit because overall I really like it - it has an almost alien feel about it. Of course mine is just a personal preference (nothing more).

No offense taken. I rather like what you did, as it enhances the alien feel.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Thanks Chappers and Deep Diver! Yeah, this was a big edge. In fact, the rest of it arched completely over my head. 20mm wide angle on 35mm b/w didn't do it near enough justice. It might have actually been cool to have had a person, or my dog in the frame somewhere for additional scale. This thing was massive.

Oh, and Deep Diver, thanks for the comment on the music. I only do it as a form of entertainment for myself, mainly. But if someone else enjoys some of it, even better.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
<snipped in various parts for editorial reasons>All of the design oriented exhibits I have ever seen in museums suggest that there are often many rules in design (some new and some old). Not all art follows the rules. Sometimes they are pushed and sometimes broken.
Bruce

Thanks. The rules in photography are more like those in art than design. Photography and art are composed to be taken in as a single element while design (print) is meant to move your eye from element to element and page to page. The message conveyed in art/photography is , like this thread, open to interpretation. Design has a goal to convey a clear message (buy this whatever) and that message is usually given to the designer by the client.

I was first trained as a photographer in an art school and learned design as a later career. I taught elementary school for 22 years, so don't let my posting nic fool you, I am more a teacher than designer.

Rules in anything visual are meant as starting points. Once you learn them, then you break them more successfully. I could dig out a book and list things, but that is no fun. I will comment on things as I see them in this thread and propose some of the formal design rules as topics for future challenge topics.

Probably made things clear as mud...

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.