Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marsvolta

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2006
marsvolta I like the first one cropped the best. The horizon in them isn't straight and its always tough in shots like this. I try for as many different angles as possible and then balance the straightness in iPhoto (its quick and easy) if I have too.

Still like the retro feel of your photo though.

Thanks. It was tough to get the horizon. I was just walking around the ferry shooting.

Here is another photo to keep it going.

Attachments

• U2fhi.jpg
    U2fhi.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 512

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
marsvolta -- I like the humor in this image. Thank you for posting it - I needed something to lighten my day.

Chappers -- I like this picture of the swans better. The version that is cropped to just the two on the lower right was difficult to understand (it looked like they were in a bubble bath). This one shows a very interesting rage of textures.

================

Here are 2 more. These blades come from an old sugar mill on Maui. These were part of the machinery that broke and chopped the cut sugar cane.

Attachments

• Blade-1a.jpg
    Blade-1a.jpg
    908.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Blade-2a.jpg
    Blade-2a.jpg
    919.7 KB · Views: 86

dcaero

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
A Sign in the City of New Orleans

edge |ej|
verb [ trans. ]
• [ intrans. ] move gradually, carefully, or furtively in a particular direction

3921960628_226e97c165_o.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
platypus63 -- very cool. Great perspective. Images like this are hard to get right, and you have it well. I think this would be even better if you "cleaned it up a little." I would rotate this clockwise just a bit so that the window is parallel to the edge of the image, and I would crop out some of the left side to make the image more symmetrical.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
deep diver - both great shots but the second one is beautiful it reminds me of a Seurat painting. Great stuff - the only distraction is the little bit of green at the top on the left.

dcaero - its interesting - I like this type of decay picture

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Hi all.. I love these challenges.

Here's two... I hope I've understood the theme correctly...

Surfers at Byron Bay (I thought one interpretation was "edge of frame"?)
3733238110_19e9a808bc.jpg

Here's an edge of the Sydney Opera House
3732437475_197ee5f6a9.jpg

Have I missed the boat on this one?

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Ah, I've been waiting to share this image!

p349286396.jpg

This was shot back in July as part of my 365 Days (Photo-of-the-Day) project and as part of a "minimalist photography" project on another site.

I really like this. Excellent use of color and composition. Really intriguing.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home

Surfers at Byron Bay (I thought one interpretation was "edge of frame"?)

Don't worry the boat is still in port waiting to depart. Beach shot - very nice and as summer ended yesterday in my part of the world - I feel a bit sad.
Big building - I never thought about any close-up detail of dirt and weathering - interesting shot that gave me a new impression of an iconic building.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

<snip>

3732437475_197ee5f6a9.jpg

I like the flow of line in this image. I really like the Sydney Opera House Steps in your Flicker feed.

By the way, all themes in this thread are open to interpretation by the individual with the camera (you). It frees your creativity and allows you to see things from different aspects depending on your interpretation.

Dale

Azdel

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
Dover, DE
Ah, I've been waiting to share this image!

p349286396.jpg

This was shot back in July as part of my 365 Days (Photo-of-the-Day) project and as part of a "minimalist photography" project on another site.

Great shot, just wish it were an original iPhone, to really drive the theme home ;)

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
deep diver - both great shots but the second one is beautiful it reminds me of a Seurat painting. Great stuff - the only distraction is the little bit of green at the top on the left

I never noticed that before. I agree, now that I know it's there. I'll have to see if I can take it out without making it look manipulated. I think that cropping any more would hurt the balance in the image.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Great shot, just wish it were an original iPhone, to really drive the theme home ;)

Oh, well, I could do that too..... :) I've got all of them. I waited in line on Launch Day for the first iPhone, waited in line last year for the 3G, and this year bought the 3G S but didn't wait in line for it, although I went over to the store on Launch Day...... Waited a few days and THEN bought it, figuring that by then the initial commotion would've calmed down with regard to activating, etc. I couldn't bear to part with any of my iPhones, so now the first-gen iPhone and last year's 3G iPhone are wonderful backups for my current one.

Hm.....thanks for the idea! Maybe tomorrow I'll play around with my original iPhone and see how I can show it off, too!

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on this shot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.