Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Using the Pixel has made me realize two things about the X: although I didn't mind it really, I definitely prefer a non-notch display. Having used this, it's definitely more intrusive than I let myself believe. Also, I really wish Apple had put Touch ID on the back. It just seems so logical.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I am so missing my Storm Trooper 2X.

Not tempted to try another? It's such a shame so many devlop faults. Because when they work as they should, they're amazing phones.

I'm hoping there's another good offer on the Pixelbook in the not too distant future. Although I can't decide if I'd be better off with a Pixelbook or a Surface Pro.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Not tempted to try another? It's such a shame so many devlop faults. Because when they work as they should, they're amazing phones.

I'm hoping there's another good offer on the Pixelbook in the not too distant future. Although I can't decide if I'd be better off with a Pixelbook or a Surface Pro.

I looked at a Surface Pro - but Windows. Lol.
I use Windows at work and as great as it is there, I do not want it for personal use!

@jamezr I know what you mean. Even I miss the camera from the Pixel 2, but ultimately for me, the iPhone X is just so much more premium with a better screen, better size, better specs and better emoji. :p

I think you need to keep going until you get the one that's just right! o_O

Reactions: jamezr

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I looked at a Surface Pro - but Windows. Lol.
I use Windows at work and as great as it is there, I do not want it for personal use!

I use Windows 7 on my pc at home and have no problems with it. It just seems like you can do more on Windows than Chrome. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I am so missing my Storm Trooper 2X.
My husband is missing his Pixel 2 XL and I could have sworn he didn't like it. I think he realizes like I did, that we both got our Pixels at a very bad time. At the time we had several major family birthday parties to both host and attend. I was heavily into my volunteer schedule. It is hard to delve into the full capabilities of an OS neither one of us knows well, in the kind of rush we were in. Yes we have Samsungs, but that's more of a different experience than I would have thought.

I actually still am supposed to be doing a crap ton of volunteer stuff, but I am one of the many people who caught that weird virus that seems mild and then suddenly incapacitates people with pneumonia and/or asthma. I'm going to take a moment and insert a little public service announcement since talking to another forum member and hearing about what's been going on: If you or your kids get what seems like a mild virus but then it suddenly develops into a cough, get to the doctor immediately.

This thing going around this winter has killed and completely incapacitated younger, stronger people than me. If you try to power through it, it will get its hooks in and recovery will be protracted and uncertain. Okay PSA over, you all take care of yourselves!

Anyway since I get to take it easy I am enjoying getting to know this phone properly and I am impressed with Android anew. It is really interesting getting to know "stock Android" without HTC's Sense UI or Samsung's bells and whistles.

I do miss some of the carrier support I enjoyed on my Samsung. But so far I'm not missing true functionality yet.

I am now properly adjusted to the stock keyboard. Yay!

I am fine with the bezels. I don't know that my husband would be. I am trying to encourage him to wait and see what pixel 3 turns out to be. I think he needs more screen real estate than I do. But I don't want him distracted or put off by any build quality problems he could run into with another Pixel 2 XL. Too many of you have, and that's unfortunate. Android Oreo deserves a better showcasing than the hardware delivered because of all the qc issues.

Meanwhile the 2017 iPhones are exquisite hardware hampered by some really odd software stuff.

[doublepost=1515280867][/doublepost]Sorry I noticed my font sizes keep changing. I haven't figured out what causes that. I notice it only when I'm on an Android device.

Reactions: jamezr

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I love love love Google Photos. By comparison, it makes iOS's Photos app look like a disaster.
[doublepost=1515281891][/doublepost]One thing I don't love however, is adaptive brightness. This thing must have an overly sensitive ambient light sensor, because it's constsanlty changing with any slight movement. I've always used auto brightness, so I'll probably try to adapt to adjusting it manually.

Reactions: 5105973

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I’m glad you were able to find it. I just took a picture of my finger pointing to where it’s to be found on the page but the forum is rejecting all of my iPhone photos these days as being too large. I’ll have to go set up a picture sharing account again somewhere.
Try & edit (crop) the photo. Sometimes (actually, every time for me thus far) you only need to shrink it down a little before the forum lets you upload it.

Reactions: 5105973

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
So here's my mini-review of the Pixelbook for those that care.

Build
This really feels like a $1,000 laptop. The materials used feel premium, almost MacBook-like quality, and there are a lot of small details that add character and function. First, there's a USB-C port on both sides, so you can charge from either side or add peripherals from whichever side is more convenient. The trackpad is flanked by white silicone palm rests on both sides, which are very comfortable and feel better than the cold metal of pretty much every other laptop. I'm also a big fan of the symmetry with the white glass on the top outer portion of the case, the trackpad and palm rest area, and the bottom side with the silicone grip strip.

Performance
Very impressive performance. The Core i5 really shines on such a lightweight OS. It's no surprise at all that I've had literally zero hiccups with whatever I've thrown at it. I'd expect that to continue well into the future. This processing power should theoretically be fine for several more generations of the OS.

Display
Stunning. Colors are wonderful, the size really is the perfect combination between viewability and portability. I would have liked to see a 13" screen, and given the size of the bezels there should have been enough room for such, but at 12.3" the size is still fine, actually feels less cramped than a competing 13" Mac or Windows laptop. ChromeOS also has a hidden Night Light mode, which earns it a bonus point - It can't be tweaked, but at least it's there for nightime viewing.

Keyboard
The keyboard is wonderful. Perhaps the best keyboard I've ever used on a laptop. The keys are shallow but still offer a very tactile feeling. The backlight bleeds a little, and could be a little brighter in spots, but overall it's well backlit and that's all that matters. Google Assistant built into the keyboard is awesome, only one gripe though - I wish it would initiate voice command and not keyboard interaction. Voice interaction is an extra click. I'm also a fan of the being able to remap caps lock button.

Battery
Battery has been solid. I'm getting anywhere between 6-8 hours on a full charge, depending on the tasks. It's enough to last me 2-3 days since it's not a work machine. I'd imagine doing some (light) work throughout an entire day would give a full day of battery life - but even if not, it charges ridiculously fast. Seriously, this thing can go 0-to-100 in 90 minutes. I believe the included wall adapter is 45W. Not sure if it can charge any faster with a bigger brick, but really, it doesn't need to.

ChromeOS
The OS is pretty much what you'd expect with ChromeOS. It's the first Chromebook to offer Google Assistant, which is awesome. The OS is very fluid, albeit limited and not for everyone, but I happen to love its lightness. We're talking about an OS that does most of it's action via a web browser, but it does those things very well with zero issues. It's weird, because we've all been frustrated with computer at some points in our lives, but I can't recall having ever been frustrated with ChromeOS at any point during my various times using it for years. Limited or not, it's a fantastic OS with a solid foundation if it expands further in the future.

App Support
It's got potential, but it's not 'there' yet. With the Pixelbook really being more of a competitor to the iPad Pro than the Mac, there's still a ways to go before it can compete on the app front, if it ever will. The Android app support is vast for mobile, and has a lot of quality, but that doesn't fully translate to ChromeOS yet. A lot of apps run well, whether it be in full screen or smaller windows, but it's so hit or miss. Hopefully the app support and optimizations continue to grow, but only time will tell. There's potential.

Overall I'm in love with it. I have a separate work machine, so I rely on the Pixelbook for personal use, and it's replaced my MacBook and my wife has adopted my former 10.5" iPad Pro. It's a great machine for doing light work, playing games, doodling, browsing - or just about anything else 98% of us do with a personal device.

Last edited:

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
So here's my mini-review of the Pixelbook for those that care.

Build
This really feels like a $1,000 laptop. The materials used feel premium, almost MacBook-like quality, and there are a lot of small details that add character and function. First, there's a USB-C port on both sides, so you can charge from either side or add peripherals from whichever side is more convenient. The trackpad is flanked by white silicone palm rests on both sides, which are very comfortable and feel better than the cold metal of pretty much every other laptop. I'm also a big fan of the symmetry with the white glass on the top outer portion of the case, the trackpad and palm rest area, and the bottom side with the silicone grip strip.

Performance
Very impressive performance. The Core i5 really shines on such a lightweight OS. It's no surprise at all that I've had literally zero hiccups with whatever I've thrown at it. I'd expect that to continue well into the future. This processing power should theoretically be fine for several more generations of the OS.

Display
Stunning. Colors are wonderful, the size really is the perfect combination between viewability and portability. I would have liked to see a 13" screen, and given the size of the bezels there should have been enough room for such, but at 12.3" the size is still fine, actually feels less cramped than a competing 13" Mac or Windows laptop. ChromeOS also has a hidden Night Light mode, which earns it a bonus point - It can't be tweaked, but at least it's there for nightime viewing.

Keyboard
The keyboard is wonderful. Perhaps the best keyboard I've ever used on a laptop. The keys are shallow but still offer a very tactile feeling. The backlight bleeds a little, and could be a little brighter in spots, but overall it's well backlit and that's all that matters. Google Assistant built into the keyboard is awesome, only one gripe though - I wish it would initiate voice command and not keyboard interaction. Voice interaction is an extra click. I'm also a fan of the being able to remap caps lock button.

Battery
Battery has been solid. I'm getting anywhere between 6-8 hours on a full charge, depending on the tasks. It's enough to last me 2-3 days since it's not a work machine. I'd imagine doing some (light) work throughout an entire day would give a full day of battery life - but even if not, it charges ridiculously fast. Seriously, this thing can go 0-to-100 in 90 minutes. I believe the included wall adapter is 45W. Not sure if it can charge any faster with a bigger brick, but really, it doesn't need to.

ChromeOS
The OS is pretty much what you'd expect with ChromeOS. It's the first Chromebook to offer Google Assistant, which is awesome. The OS is very fluid, albeit limited and not for everyone, but I happen to love its lightness. We're talking about an OS that does most of it's action via a web browser, but it does those things very well with zero issues. It's weird, because we've all been frustrated with computer at some points in our lives, but I can't recall having ever been frustrated with ChromeOS at any point during my various times using it for years. Limited or not, it's a fantastic OS with a solid foundation if it expands further in the future.

App Support
It's got potential, but it's not 'there' yet. With the Pixelbook really being more a of competitor to the iPad Pro than the Mac, there's still a ways to go before it can compete on the app front, if it ever will. The Android app support is vast for mobile, and has a lot of quality, but that doesn't fully translate to ChromeOS yet. A lot of apps run well, whether it be in full screen or smaller windows, but it's so hit or miss. Hopefully the app support and optimizations continue to grow, but only time will tell. There's potential.

Overall I'm in love with it. I have a separate work machine, so I rely on the Pixelbook for personal use, and it's replaced my MacBook and my wife has adopted my former 10.5" iPad Pro. It's a great machine for doing light work, playing games, doodling, browsing - or just about anything else 98% of us do with a personal device.

Awesome review! Mine was supposed to be here on Friday, but had been weather delayed. I'm looking forward to trying it out first hand.

Reactions: 5105973 and Cryates

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
It's not in the forum interface after all. It's apparently built into the Samsung browser I am using on the Pixel 2. Perhaps it's also on regular Chrome too.

I'm also using the Samsung browser. I have a dark theme running, so the settings and alddress bar is dark, but this site is still bright white

Found it in the browser spettings, turn on night mode. Looks a bit funky.

If you get Samsung Internet Beta (play store), there's a night mode.

https://imgur.com/a/fNkCD

Edit: thought it's only in beta version. Could be wrong. Pretty cool either way!

Reactions: 5105973 and Cryates

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I've just been for a look at Pixelbooks & Surface Pros in a local store (PC World) and the Microsoft representative came over. Told her I want at least 256gb for putting media on while traveling and more importantly, backing up camera memory cards while away.

She said the Pixelbook would be a waste as it's all cloud based and you can't access the memory. What?! I asked what's the point of 128gb & 256gb model then if you can't access it. She shrugged her shoulders.

Either I'm more clueless than I thought or she was talking absolute ****. So those on here that have one, incann Don't even know why I'm asking!

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I've just been for a look at Pixelbooks & Surface Pros in a local store (PC World) and the Microsoft representative came over. Told her I want at least 256gb for putting media on while traveling and more importantly, backing up camera memory cards while away.

She said the Pixelbook would be a waste as it's all cloud based and you can't access the memory. What?! I asked what's the point of 128gb & 256gb model then if you can't access it. She shrugged her shoulders.

Either I'm more clueless than I thought or she was talking absolute ****. So those on here that have one, incann Don't even know why I'm asking!

Curious about this as well. I was trying to move videos from a USB c drive to the Pixelbook hd and it would only let me move to the Google drive. Albeit, I was testing on a store unit and not sure if they have it on lockdown. But, I'd be interested to hear from others.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
To be honest, I opted for the 128GB model because I'm a cloud-based user. Will certainly give it a look and see if it's possible. If you can't access the storage for file tranfers, etc, then it must only be there for additional download storage.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
If you can't put videos I have on my PC or backup from memory cards, would totally rule out a Pixelbook. Seems crazy to think you can't put what you want on it!

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Okay, so it appears it is somewhat limited but only in the file system structure. All of my available HD space for file transfers, downloads, etc lives in the Downloads folder. It looks like I'd have to create my own folder system inside the Downloads folder via new folders, and house everything there. So, file transfer is possible and works - you just don't have the typical file system structure that Windows offers (like a C:, Documents folder, etc) - The entire internal files system lives in 'Downloads'.
[doublepost=1515336122][/doublepost]
If you can't put videos I have on my PC or backup from memory cards, would totally rule out a Pixelbook. Seems crazy to think you can't put what you want on it!
No, you'd be able to do that. Like I said though - you'd just have to create a 'Videos' folder inside the 'Downloads' folder in the files app and copy/paste your videos from the other storage device to that folder.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Curious about this as well. I was trying to move videos from a USB c drive to the Pixelbook hd and it would only let me move to the Google drive. Albeit, I was testing on a store unit and not sure if they have it on lockdown. But, I'd be interested to hear from others.
l have no problem watching movies from my Pixelbook or Samsung Chromebook.

I can watch directly from a connected drive, Samsung T5 SSD, the internal memory card on the Samsung, USB thumb drives, or either internal drive using Videostream for Chromecast, or VLC for the device. The Pixel book doesn't have a memory card slot so I have to use a USB C card reader on it. If using the internal memory the movie just has to be copied to the Download folder.

Reactions: michael9891

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Should have told her I definitely want the most expensive Surface but I'll buy from somewhere else where they know what they're talking about!
I bought a Chromebook just to learn how to use Chrome OS, and really like it. That said the OS is really not mainstream and I wouldn't expect any sales person that hadn't owned one to know how to use it other than for browsing the internet.

Reactions: michael9891
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.