Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Assuming the downloads folder won't attempt to auto backup to Google drive?
Nope, it's separate from the Google Drive structure.
[doublepost=1515338706][/doublepost]
I bought a Chromebook just to learn how to use Chrome OS, and really like it. That said the OS is really not mainstream and I wouldn't expect any sales person that hadn't owned one to know how to use it other than for browsing the internet.
Agreed. It's unknown to a lot of people, and easy to make blind assumptions about. It's not what it appears to be on the surface. It has all the core functionality of a Windows PC if you ask me.

Reactions: nospleen

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I bought a Chromebook just to learn how to use Chrome OS, and really like it. That said the OS is really not mainstream and I wouldn't expect any sales person that hadn't owned one to know how to use it other than for browsing the internet.

Maybe. I feel bad for people that go in these shops and have no knowledge whatsoever and take the sales persons word as gospel.

Have an opportunity to buy a warranty replacement Surface Pro for £800, £450 under retail. But I can see the Pixelbook improving over time when hopefully app makers start utilising it’s potential.
[doublepost=1515339982][/doublepost]Back on track with talk about the Pixel, I'm curious how the free storage will work once it expires. If I stick with Pixels until then, I can see me having over 100gb worth of photos taken on them.

So I wonder what pics will be accessible beyond 100gb if that's the storage option you select.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m a bit confused about the free storage, too. I’ve got all my iPhone photos backed up to the same account my Pixel is on. I’m not sure how it’s all supposed to work. I wonder if I should use one of my other Google accounts just for the Pixel.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Back on track with talk about the Pixel, I'm curious how the free storage will work once it expires. If I stick with Pixels until then, I can see me having over 100gb worth of photos taken on them.

So I wonder what pics will be accessible beyond 100gb if that's the storage option you select.
Pictures taken/ stored with a Pixel supposedly don't even count against the 100GB limit and will remain available.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-google-pixel-unlimited-photo-backup-works

Seems there's a catch: resolution can't be "original" resolution but only high after 2020.

"upload as many photos and videos as you want at "high quality," with no storage limitations.....Google defines "high quality" as 16-megapixel photos and 1080p videos. After 2020 "Google will compress any larger photos and videos down to "high quality."

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I’m a bit confused about the free storage, too. I’ve got all my iPhone photos backed up to the same account my Pixel is on. I’m not sure how it’s all supposed to work. I wonder if I should use one of my other Google accounts just for the Pixel.

I use the same account on my Pixel as I do on my iPad. If I look at the setttings on my iPad, it shows I have 6gb of the 15gb free storage at original quality. If I look on my Pixel settings, it doesn’t have that information because it’s unlimited.

I’ll contact Google at some point but having read it again on my Pixel, I think anything uploaded from it before 1st Jan 2021 will be stored permanently for free. If that’s the case, gives me plenty of time to put all the pics on my Pixel from my pc and get them backed up.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Realistically, I'll be on each new iteration of the Pixel, and I'm sure the same or similar cloud photo storage option will be offered each year.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Nice. So, I'll be curious to see if I buy the Pixel 3XL, will that 'promotion' be extended an additional year for me. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Jeez Louise. So I go to listen to a video with my lightning headphones plugged into my iPhone 8 Plus and find out the lightning connector is wonky. If I so much as lightly touch the base of the headphone plug the sound cuts out.

That is a deal breaker. It’s going back for that. I hope I have better luck on the replacement. This is my first ever iPhone with obvious physical defects. From the crooked display glass that I was happy to overlook to continuing audio issues (I called my Pixel and left myself a voicemail to make sure my AT&T VM was working for it and could barely hear the message) and now this.

Oh well, knock wood, at least Snowball continues to delight. If not for iMessage at this point I would almost be fine with getting my money back and going exclusively with Snowball. But the 8 Plus does have the best display for my eyes for video and most importantly, ebooks.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I've been using the Pixel 2 XL for the past few days now and I'm trying to figure out what the whole issue with the phone has been about. Seriously the whole blue tint thing has not been an issue and I think it's been blown out of portion. Also the default setting for the color profile has been fine coming from an iPhone. The only draw back from the LED panel has been the black crush effect while watching dark scenes in videos. It is a little jarring and hopefully it can be fixed with some type of software update. Other than that the phone has been a pleasure to use.

Like has been mentioned, I'm surprised at how light it is compared to the iPhone X. I think it has a fantastic build and feels great in the hand. Squeeze for Google Assistant has been a revelation and it feels natural in use. Funny how I thought the whole squeeze thing was such a gimmick. Dare I say Google Assistant feels more revelant and useful than siri ? The fingerprint scanner on the back is sensible, quick and useful as a notification drop down tool. The back placement is more ideal to me than any other orientation. Phone calls have been great on the T-Mobile network. I can hear everything clearly and the mic is quite good.

Pure Android has come a loooong way since I used a Nexus 6P. Everything feels much stable, lean and quick just like iOs. Yet were they differ is still on app quality unfortunately, however Android and app developers are getting there. A seriously great feature is now playing on the lockscreen. I was riding the bus regretting not bringing my headphones as an obnoxious kid a few seats down was blasting his music without headphones on. Hated much of the music yet one song stood out and I thought to myself 'I wonder who that artist could be?' . I pulled out my phone to check the time a few minutes later and sure enough Now Playing picked up the song and displayed it on the lock screen. I totally forgot I had that feature on my phone! Android's Trump card is of course on customizability. I can finally theme an Android device without rooting!!! I love that my phone is almost always on dark mode. It should seriously be a setting on all phones. It's just much easier on the eyes to me and looks more aesthetically pleasing.

Noticed how I've talked about almost everything other than the camera? It's the most praiseworthy feature yet I've barely had time to use it yet lol. That to me is seriously the icing on the cake. Google put out a great product. They just have to double down on the QC issues and continue to make pure Android, Google assistant and their cameras as good as possible. It's seriously the best thing the phone has to offer.

Last edited:

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
Have the pixel 2 since yesterday, replaced with my iPhone 8. The phone flies, no lag stutter etc. Very good camera but I'm gonn sell it and buy another iPhone 8 because... Of The oled display, my eyes started hurting again and watery. I guess this means no goreous o displays for me no more and the lcd on the iPhone with true tone for me.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Have the pixel 2 since yesterday, replaced with my iPhone 8. The phone flies, no lag stutter etc. Very good camera but I'm gonn sell it and buy another iPhone 8 because... Of The oled display, my eyes started hurting again and watery. I guess this means no goreous o displays for me no more and the lcd on the iPhone with true tone for me.
Awww, I sympathize. I can get by with pulse width modulation as long as the whites aren't too stark but it's not as easy on the eyes to me as the LCD on the iPhone 6, 7 and 8 pluses.

I do have an easier time on my Pixel 2 than I did on my iPhone X and my husband's X, but maybe that's down to the display being smaller? I don't know.

If you get any kind of chance to give feedback to Google please mention the issues you have with pwm on the OLED display. I do not know what Samsung does differently for the S8+ but I haven't had the same eye fatigue on its display despite Samsung making all of these displays.

Update: I returned my defective 8 Plus. My husband also asked for an AT@T model this time and this sales clerk gave him no hassles at all. It went smoothly this time. Amazing what a difference a competent salesperson makes.

I'm setting up my new 8 Plus now.

I had fun taking pictures of AR Sticker Porgs with my Pixel 2 today. That feature is so much fun. Way more entertaining than animoji. I do miss animoji a little though. They were cute. But I'll take Porgs frolicking any day!

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Any heavy users of Google Assistant able to give a little review of it. Specifically how it excels hands-free, whilst driving.

I'm tipping you're in love with how accurate it is at finding (non-contact) addresses, food, places of interest etc. & calling business numbers via common sense & much more intelligent AI, compared to Siri..?..

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Any heavy users of Google Assistant able to give a little review of it. Specifically how it excels hands-free, whilst driving.

I'm tipping you're in love with how accurate it is at finding (non-contact) addresses, food, places of interest etc. & calling business numbers via common sense & much more intelligent AI, compared to Siri..?..
You already asked and answered (tipped) your own question. OK Google works accurately and correctly responds to direction and questions. Siri would often give me weather when I asked it to call someone or a movie review when I asked for directions - close but no cigar. Siri is better than our Garmin GPS though which always results in a shouting match when it continually finds anything but what we are asking it to :D.

Last edited:

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
Awww, I sympathize. I can get by with pulse width modulation as long as the whites aren't too stark but it's not as easy on the eyes to me as the LCD on the iPhone 6, 7 and 8 pluses.

I do have an easier time on my Pixel 2 than I did on my iPhone X and my husband's X, but maybe that's down to the display being smaller? I don't know.

If you get any kind of chance to give feedback to Google please mention the issues you have with pwm on the OLED display. I do not know what Samsung does differently for the S8+ but I haven't had the same eye fatigue on its display despite Samsung making all of these displays.

Update: I returned my defective 8 Plus. My husband also asked for an AT@T model this time and this sales clerk gave him no hassles at all. It went smoothly this time. Amazing what a difference a competent salesperson makes.

I'm setting up my new 8 Plus now.

I had fun taking pictures of AR Sticker Porgs with my Pixel 2 today. That feature is so much fun. Way more entertaining than animoji. I do miss animoji a little though. They were cute. But I'll take Porgs frolicking any day!

It's a shame really coz this thing is fast! I the autofocus is fast as well just like the Samsung one. O well, the iPhone 8 is not too bad to use either haha.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I sold my Pixel 2 last night after dithering putting it on eBay and had to parcel it up this morning. It hadn't been out of its box since I decided to keep my X a week or so ago.

Picking it up this morning to factory reset it, and boy I was sad haha.
I love the smaller one. It has a really nice weight and size. And once again I had the pangs of regret like I was making a mistake. :oops::rolleyes:

Felt like I was murdering Snowball's brother. :confused::p

I have a feeling this isn't the last for me and the Pixel 2. Once (and if) that squeeze feature can be remapped, I can see me getting tempted again. If I can squeeze for a screenshot I'm going to be racing down to CarPhoneWarehouse to pick one up lol.

I almost wish I didn't like my X as much as I do, that way I wouldn't have any concerns over keeping the Pixel which is just so great at so many things. I already miss the camera.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
There's something to be said for the Pixel having a hold on people, even after they've decided to sell, or have to file an RMA.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
There's something to be said for the Pixel having a hold on people, even after they've decided to sell, or have to file an RMA.
I know I could not stop thinking about the one I sent back. This thread helped me realize they aren’t all like the ones my husband and I had. I definitely had a subpar one because Snowball is amazing, so far. I would worry about defects after the return period, but it helps Google extended the warranty and have so far been decent to work with for most people. Thought not for all: I’ve seen some frustrated customers.

I don’t blame anyone for choosing an iPhone over a Pixel at this point. Apple’s customer service is not always what we remember and expect but it’s still better than what the competition currently has in place where most of us live. The ecosystem is still a strong pull for many of us. (For me it’s only iMessage and the Apple Watch at this point).

Though if I had not just gotten the Apple Watch a few months ago, I would think about using a Fitbit for notifications from Snowball. I don’t end up using most of the apps on the Apple Watch. I mostly use it for notifications and time and weather and activity tracking.

I’ve already started texting from Snowball. Just plain SMS. I’m thinking about giving out my second number to the other parents so they know it’s me when I call from Snowball.

I will do further testing with the new iPhone 8 and if the call quality is the same as the one I just returned, there is no way I’m going to try and have conversations on it. This one is an AT&T model with the Intel modem. The last one was an unlocked Qualcomm like my 7 Plus was. My X had been an Intel AT&T model and that worked well as a phone. I know the Qualcomm modems are supposed to be far better but Apple clearly handicapped them. I get furious just thinking about their stupid feud’s impact on us customers. We don’t get the very best that technology has to offer but we are charged through the nose as if we do.
[doublepost=1515419352][/doublepost]
I sold my Pixel 2 last night after dithering putting it on eBay and had to parcel it up this morning. It hadn't been out of its box since I decided to keep my X a week or so ago.

Picking it up this morning to factory reset it, and boy I was sad haha.
I love the smaller one. It has a really nice weight and size. And once again I had the pangs of regret like I was making a mistake. :oops::rolleyes:

Felt like I was murdering Snowball's brother. :confused::p

I have a feeling this isn't the last for me and the Pixel 2. Once (and if) that squeeze feature can be remapped, I can see me getting tempted again. If I can squeeze for a screenshot I'm going to be racing down to CarPhoneWarehouse to pick one up lol.

I almost wish I didn't like my X as much as I do, that way I wouldn't have any concerns over keeping the Pixel which is just so great at so many things. I already miss the camera.
Snowball is sad. :( We mourn the boxing of Frosty. ;)

I admit I’m surprised the X won out because your Pixel 2 works with your Chromebook. But the X is a very good phone and there’s no reason to not choose it. I don’t have the extensive need for banking and productivity apps that you gainfully employed people do. My husband has told me that iOS apps are still better for most of his needs because the Android environment is still so fractured that the app developers haven’t even uniformly gotten fingerprint authentication to work for most of the banking and financial services apps he depends on. That’s one of the reasons he can’t fully go over to Android.

But he has Pixel envy, too. Android is fun. And a decently built Pixel running stock Oreo is a pleasure to behold, so far. I hope that with the initiative to put stock Android on lower cost phones that Google can start to get customers all on the same page over time and combat this fragmentation in the app environment.

But Google has a way to go. They need to improve build quality and quality control. They need better accessories and to continue to build their presence and support. They’re not going to be slaying any iPhones among the general population yet.

Meanwhile Apple really needs to get its act together. It’s embarrassing how bad the blown out highlights are on the 8 Plus. I had them a little bit on the X, too. Not quite as bad, but close. It’s a revelation to have a camera that doesn’t do that.

Reactions: Aneres11

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Re: the blown highlights, turn off auto HDR and manually turn it on in high dynamic scenes. You’ll see a tremendous boost. I think Apple needs to more aggressively fire off HDR, that’s what’s going on right now.

I know I could not stop thinking about the one I sent back. This thread helped me realize they aren’t all like the ones my husband and I had. I definitely had a subpar one because Snowball is amazing, so far. I would worry about defects after the return period, but it helps Google extended the warranty and have so far been decent to work with for most people. Thought not for all: I’ve seen some frustrated customers.

I don’t blame anyone for choosing an iPhone over a Pixel at this point. Apple’s customer service is not always what we remember and expect but it’s still better than what the competition currently has in place where most of us live. The ecosystem is still a strong pull for many of us. (For me it’s only iMessage and the Apple Watch at this point).

Though if I had not just gotten the Apple Watch a few months ago, I would think about using a Fitbit for notifications from Snowball. I don’t end up using most of the apps on the Apple Watch. I mostly use it for notifications and time and weather and activity tracking.

I’ve already started texting from Snowball. Just plain SMS. I’m thinking about giving out my second number to the other parents so they know it’s me when I call from Snowball.

I will do further testing with the new iPhone 8 and if the call quality is the same as the one I just returned, there is no way I’m going to try and have conversations on it. This one is an AT&T model with the Intel modem. The last one was an unlocked Qualcomm like my 7 Plus was. My X had been an Intel AT&T model and that worked well as a phone. I know the Qualcomm modems are supposed to be far better but Apple clearly handicapped them. I get furious just thinking about their stupid feud’s impact on us customers. We don’t get the very best that technology has to offer but we are charged through the nose as if we do.
[doublepost=1515419352][/doublepost]

I admit I’m surprised the X won out because your Pixel 2 works with your Chromebook. But the X is a very good phone and there’s no reason to not choose it. I don’t have the extensive need for banking and productivity apps that you gainfully employed people do. My husband has told me that iOS apps are still better for most of his needs because the Android environment is still so fractured that the app developers haven’t even uniformly gotten fingerprint authentication to work for most of the banking and financial services apps he depends on. That’s one of the reasons he can’t fully go over to Android.

But he has Pixel envy, too. Android is fun. And a decently built Pixel running stock Oreo is a pleasure to behold, so far. I hope that with the initiative to put stock Android on lower cost phones that Google can start to get customers all on the same page over time and combat this fragmentation in the app environment.

But Google has a way to go. They need to improve build quality and quality control. They need better accessories and to continue to build their presence and support. They’re not going to be slaying any iPhones among the general population yet.

Meanwhile Apple really needs to get its act together. It’s embarrassing how bad the blown out highlights are on the 8 Plus. I had them a little bit on the X, too. Not quite as bad, but close. It’s a revelation to have a camera that doesn’t do that.
th

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Re: the blown highlights, turn off auto HDR and manually turn it on in high dynamic scenes. You’ll see a tremendous boost. I think Apple needs to more aggressively fire off HDR, that’s what’s going on right now.

th
Thank you so much! Will do!

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Selling my iPhone X today. These things have SO much resale value. Also got my core friends/family on Hangouts so communication via text will be easy now.

Anybody know of the best app to use to control the blink light?

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

Frosty is still with us, although on his way to London for a new life with a new owner! :)

He will be missed.

And yes, the Pixelbook worked flawlessly with my Pixel 2 - I really enjoyed how they interacted together. Whilst I get some similar functionality with the iPhone as the Pixelbook is web based, so I can use WhatsApp web, Spotify web etc, it's still not as good.
Unlocking the Pixelbook with a fingerprint from my Pixel 2 was great. Miss that.

I think I'd feel the same sense of regret selling the X as I do with my Pixel only probably worse with that. The X is much much much more expesnive as we know, and I wouldn't be able to afford buying that back outright if I regretted my decision. The Pixel 2 can be picked up for £499 here now (madness) which is more than justifiable should I want to dip my toe again.

In fact, I actually have a prepaid gift MasterCard coming to me soon for signing up to my current home internet package during Black Friday - £125's worth, which can be used in Currys. Add to that a 10% discount using my friends colleague family card and you're looking at a Pixel for £325ish.
Maybe I could rock both... :eek::p.

I'm leaving this thread right now.
Good Day.
*runs away.
[doublepost=1515426225][/doublepost]
Selling my iPhone X today. These things have SO much resale value. Also got my core friends/family on Hangouts so communication via text will be easy now.

Anybody know of the best app to use to control the blink light?

Light Manager Pro.
I think I paid for it (not very much) but it works so well. You can choose your colour and even override apps that let you choose your blink LED colour in the app (like WhatsApp etc).

It was nice to set a pinky/purple light to blink for Instagram and a yellow one for Snapchat. :)

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Hmmm... charging issue back BUT I think I may have figured the issue out and it may be hardware. If it is what I think it is, I can work around it...

From 13% I plugged the device in and waited and waited and waited, it read "charging rapidly" with NO estimated time. It sat on my desk for a good 15 minutes (usually it would do SOMETHING in this time frame) but it still read 13% with no ETA to finish.

So, I pulled the cord out (the original one in the box) flipped it around and either that did the trick which would mean my cable or port is jacked (hopefully its the cord but I don't know, had this issue with the 6p cord too) and now it looks to be charging more or less normally. Reads 1hr 5m and its went from 13% (well 12 since I unplugged it the first time) to 23% in a couple of minutes.

More testing to confirm, but right now its charging.

(EDIT just read on XDA some are also having this issue)

---

I may go ahead and just unroot and set my sisters phone up as stock, right now I am baby sitting her device and I suspect she is going to take an OTA on accident and mess up her device.

Last edited:

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Light Manager Pro.
I think I paid for it (not very much) but it works so well. You can choose your colour and even override apps that let you choose your blink LED colour in the app (like WhatsApp etc).

It was nice to set a pinky/purple light to blink for Instagram and a yellow one for Snapchat. :)
:D thank you!
[doublepost=1515427832][/doublepost]
Unlocking the Pixelbook with a fingerprint from my Pixel 2 was great. Miss that.
I forgot to set this up! Will be doing when I get home.
[doublepost=1515430273][/doublepost]iPhone X sold! No looking back now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.